Instant Pots aka Electric Pressure Cookers

Anyone else have one? 
I just splurged on Amazon and bought one last week. 
So far I've made: macaroni & cheese, steel cut oats, chili, and tonight I'm making Jasmine Turmeric Rice and Salmon with lemon and capers. 
That last meal is my go to healthy fast meal that I can actually get my husband to eat. I usually cook the salmon in foil packets in the oven so I'm experimenting and seeing how the IP cooks it. Hopefully I didn't just ruin 2 expensive salmon fillets from Whole Foods. 

I'm planning to try pressure cooking hard boiled eggs and making homemade yogurt soon. 

Comments

• I don't but I have 2 friends who absolutely swear by their IPs.
  • I've seen them, but I can't afford that kind of gadget.  Looks interesting though, maybe when I'm a grown-up with a real job and that sort of thing.
  • I've been eyeing one for some time. Biggest problem I have is finding one in a 4 or 5 qt size. Most come in 8 qt or larger and I don't need that much room. I did see one and I've bookmarked it for when I have the extra cash to splurge. I mostly want it to cook my own beans in.
  • @Milaxx mine is a 6 qt. I mostly cook for myself or me and my husband. I can do as little as one cup of rice in it. I'm going to do a whole chicken either tonight or tomorrow and use the leftovers for chicken soup and make broth out of the bones. 
  • I never used one until I married my husband. Indians use pressure cookers quite a lot to soften their lentils, or for mutton.
    I've finally gotten over my "Dammit man, it's going to EXPLODE!" fear and use it quite regularly.
  • edited November 2016
    We sell quite a few of them, and use them when we are demonstrating anything stew-y or soup-y. Really cuts down prep time.
  • Beth said:
    @Milaxx mine is a 6 qt. I mostly cook for myself or me and my husband. I can do as little as one cup of rice in it. I'm going to do a whole chicken either tonight or tomorrow and use the leftovers for chicken soup and make broth out of the bones. 
    what brand. make is yours?
  • Milaxx said:
    Beth said:
    @Milaxx mine is a 6 qt. I mostly cook for myself or me and my husband. I can do as little as one cup of rice in it. I'm going to do a whole chicken either tonight or tomorrow and use the leftovers for chicken soup and make broth out of the bones. 
    I got the Instant Pot 6 qt. DUO. I like that it has the yogurt function and a stainless steel inner pot. I don't like cooking with non-stick coatings like some of the cheaper brands have. They are now making an 8qt. model and if I still had kids at home I might consider that one. 
  • Thanks! That the one I've had my eye on.
  • I have had a Instant Pot for about 18 months now - although I don't use it that much I have very pleased with it when I have and would recommend it. I had a conversation with my sister just this last week where she asked about a slow cooker/crock pot and I recommended she try the pressure cooker route instead - I am taking mine over when I visit at Christmas to demonstrate it.

Shop around - there are loads of bargains out there, I have seen a 6QT model on sale here (UK) for around $60 - brand new. 5QT seems the most widely available size here.

Alicia - I was in Argos yesterday and  although they don't have Pressure Pots, they do have a brand called Pressure King which looks similar. But also saw a "Bella" model 6QT for £45 (an apparent saving of £35) which looks good if you are tempted. 

• edited January 3
    Beth said:
    Milaxx said:
    Beth said:
    I got the Instant Pot 6 qt. DUO. I like that it has the yogurt function and a stainless steel inner pot. I don't like cooking with non-stick coatings like some of the cheaper brands have. They are now making an 8qt. model and if I still had kids at home I might consider that one. 

I have the 6 qt. Duo too and I'm really impressed with how nicely it cooks chicken. It doesn't look as nice as an oven baked chicken, but it tastes delicious. Not dry at all. Plus the meat just falls off the bone. I'm going to try boneless and skinless chicken breasts next; I'll probably marinate or brine them first, though.  

Has anyone tried a pressure cooker cheesecake yet?
  • Vacbear we've just put a reservation on a house (new build - aiming for completion in August) and I am very much hoping that I will have enough cupboard or counter space for some more gadgets. Current abode is busting at the seams.
  • Congratulations Alicia, I hope all goes well and that you will be very happy in your new home. hopefully you will be able to have input on the kitchen and bathroom fit outs, tiling etc. And somewhere that is brand spanking new where you don't have to change previous occupants dubious/vile decorating decisions as I have since I moved to my current home two years ago - nearly all done at last. Shopping, shopping, shopping LOLOL

I am planning a large extension on my home, I don't really need it but as this is probably the last house I will live in I finally want the kitchen of my dreams with no compromise :)

• Oh, and my sister bought an Instant Pot, a bit more expensive than mine, but it seems to have a slow cook option as well
  • @ArchaicSmile I've made two cheesecakes. One for Thanksgiving and one at Xmas. I took the 2nd one to Michigan for family celebration. We stayed in a Residence Inn and I transported it in my Fat Daddio push pan. Unfortunately I put the pan in the room dishwasher and then forgot about it and left it there when we checked out. :(  
    I ordered a replacement from Amazon yesterday. 
  • I haven't bought an Instant Pot yet, but am definitely interested. One of my favorite food blogs is Budget Bytes, which posts lots of recipes for them, including this early one:

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/03/make-instant-pot-chicken-stock/

I do own a pressure cooker that, many decades ago, I used for some experiments in canning; since then I've only used it as a big heavy pot, and am in some doubt as to whether the rubber seal is still safe to use for actual pressure work.