Personal styling services

I've been using Stitch Fix for about 6 months now... I'm on the fence. I love getting a box of clothes (squeeeeeee!), but it's spendy.

Anyone use this or similar services? Your thoughts?

Comments

• I'm a new user to Stitch Fix (getting my 3rd fix in a couple weeks), but I'm kind of addicted.  I love shopping for others but really hate shopping for myself because I'm insecure and get frustrated easily.  Stitch Fix is great because, at most, you have five things you don't like and are out $20.  This to me is better than spending hours of my time trying on a bunch of clothes, only to leave the store bitter and feeling awful about myself.  It's a similar thing with the prices of the clothes.  I'm willing to spend more than I would in a department store for the convenience and mental healthiness that not having to shop as much brings me.  In my last fix, I got the perfect graduation dress for $68.  I'm still riding high from that.
  • I love shopping and making fun of clothing that looks weird on me. In my opinion, it's the clothing getting it wrong, not me. I'm fabulous. So what if I look like a sausage in that dress? That makes it a sausage-casing, and I don't wear sausage-casings. Ill-fitting pants with pulling that forms a frowny crotch are also a no-go, because life's too short to wear unhappy clothing. I spend too much money from impulse shopping when I feel down though, and I get too attached to things I do like, so while I'm always tempted by these subscription services, I know my hoarding tendencies mean I shouldn't. My closet is already massive. But if you guys post your boxes I'd love to live vicariously through whatever y'all are receiving in these subscription services. 
  • I like shopping, but with a full-time job and 2 kids under 5 - there is NO WAY I can go shopping. No way. I barely am able to get to the grocery store. Weekends are a blur of feeding, wiping, driving, and generally trying to de-assholize them.

So to get a box of cute clothes in the mail, it makes my day.

@gabyripples, I recently went to a capsule wardrobe, and it seriously changed my life. I got rid of 80% of my clothes, and I'm more confident in my style. I highly recommend it if you're feeling overwhelmed by your closet.
  • OK, the Kittens have inspired me to try out Stitch Fix. And, upon reading the FAQs, turns out I can earn someone a $25 credit for referring me.  So, if someone would like to send me a referral link (or post one or however we do it here), I will be happy to use it.
  • edited February 2015
    @BookGirl Don't know if you received a referral link yet, but here's mine.  Thanks for thinking of us!

• My referral link is https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/3976929 if anyone wants it!
  • I started out liking Stitch Fix, but my last box made me quit. I kept writing in the notes that I have really big boobs and biceps, since they kept sending me tops that didn't fit me in those places, and in the last box, they sent me all stuff that didn't fit because of my chest! So I just quit. I was so fed up with them not listening to "it needs to either be blouson or stretchy in the chest." I kind of felt that it wasn't very personally styled, to be honest, if they couldn't even listen to that critique.
  • I started out liking Stitch Fix, but my last box made me quit. I kept writing in the notes that I have really big boobs and biceps, since they kept sending me tops that didn't fit me in those places, and in the last box, they sent me all stuff that didn't fit because of my chest! So I just quit. I was so fed up with them not listening to "it needs to either be blouson or stretchy in the chest." I kind of felt that it wasn't very personally styled, to be honest, if they couldn't even listen to that critique.
    Yeah, I've wondered before if some of their stylists are better/more attentive than others. I've had the same one every time and feel like she's been responsive to my requests, but I know some others get frustrated with writing NO MORE CARDIGANS every time and still getting cardigans....
    Yeah, I've wondered before if some of their stylists are better/more attentive than others. I've had the same one every time and feel like she's been responsive to my requests, but I know some others get frustrated with writing NO MORE CARDIGANS every time and still getting cardigans....
    I'm gonna be honest...my first fix was really meh.  They didn't even know it was my first fix (made it sound like it wasn't in the note) and nothing felt personal.  For my second fix, I got a different stylist (Madison) and had such different results.  I wanted a grad dress that was a solid color, not strapless or long sleeved, not too low cut, and about knee length.  I got two great options that fit those parameters.  One was blue and just didn't look quite right on me.  But then I got this purple one (chosen because I had a bunch of that color on my Pinterest).  It was perfect for the occasion and made me feel stunning.  In addition, I got a leopard cardigan because I had a lot of leopard in my Pinterest, a dolman top because I requested one, and a sapphire top because I love jewel tones.  I could tell that this stylist really took the time to get me what I wanted (she even commented on how things would look under my grad robe), and it made me happy I came back for my second one.  For my 3rd one, I requested Madison again and asked for a pair of jeans and 4 tops.  The box shipped the other day. I haven't got it yet, but I can see the names and style #'s of things I got, and she did indeed get me 4 tops and a pair of jeans.  We'll see how it all works out, but I think a big key to Stitch Fix is getting the right stylist for you.  I think the stylist is the key to the whole operation.
    I'm gonna be honest...my first fix was really meh.  They didn't even know it was my first fix (made it sound like it wasn't in the note) and nothing felt personal.  For my second fix, I got a different stylist (Madison) and had such different results.  I wanted a grad dress that was a solid color, not strapless or long sleeved, not too low cut, and about knee length.  I got two great options that fit those parameters.  One was blue and just didn't look quite right on me.  But then I got this purple one (chosen because I had a bunch of that color on my Pinterest).  It was perfect for the occasion and made me feel stunning.  In addition, I got a leopard cardigan because I had a lot of leopard in my Pinterest, a dolman top because I requested one, and a sapphire top because I love jewel tones.  I could tell that this stylist really took the time to get me what I wanted (she even commented on how things would look under my grad robe), and it made me happy I came back for my second one.  For my 3rd one, I requested Madison again and asked for a pair of jeans and 4 tops.  The box shipped the other day. I haven't got it yet, but I can see the names and style #'s of things I got, and she did indeed get me 4 tops and a pair of jeans.  We'll see how it all works out, but I think a big key to Stitch Fix is getting the right stylist for you.  I think the stylist is the key to the whole operation.
    See, on the site, it isn't even obvious that you can request the same stylist! It never even occurred to me to do that. My first box was pretty good, it's too bad I didn't keep the card so I could know who it was.
    See, on the site, it isn't even obvious that you can request the same stylist! It never even occurred to me to do that. My first box was pretty good, it's too bad I didn't keep the card so I could know who it was.

I would suggest saying in the note "Can I have the same stylist as my first box?" They have all of that information, so they should be able to do that for you. Also, if you want the name, if you send an email to [email protected] they are usually very quick to respond and helpful too. I got help with a technical issue within 24 hours.
  • edited February 2015
    Thanks for posting your referral links. I'm in a holding pattern as I am one size too large at the moment at a 16. I think I will get down to a 12 before I sign up so there is some wiggle room in the cuts. Whoever posted their pictures in the other thread, please keep doing so. It's great to see what they send.
  • Another stitchfixer here.  I think I've gotten 3 fixes, maybe 4.  

I've had very mixed results as well.  I will say, my current favorite go to black skinny pants were a fix item, and they look great and fit me great so that was nice.  But the fit of things overall has been all over the place, and I have the same upper body issues as @algunarubia so the first few tops I got were pretty tight (although with my last fix that seemed to have been resolved but the tops that were sent were kind of fug and I sent them back anyway).  

I try to give really specific feedback and sometimes I can tell they read it, sometimes not. I will say the first stylist sent me all of this navy blue stuff (based on her note, I think she was conflating the style of Boston with the preppy handbook. Uh, ok, it's not all Vineyard Vines here all that time, TG) and after making it clear in my feedback that the neutrals I prefer are black and grey, the color schemes have gotten better, although I have had a different stylist each time so it could be due to that.  

• So, the clothing I've gotten from SF seems to be pretty good quality. But I got a tote bag from them in my last fix and it is falling apart. Bullshit. So I sent them an email with pics this morning asking for a refund. Will update all you SFers on how they respond.
  • Reviving this thread -- I finally bit the bullet and signed up for stitch fix because they're offering plus size now. I'll be really interested to see how it works out.