Costuming and Cosplay

Comments

• Way too small. The vamps are really high and I can't get my foot into them at all.
  • Can you return them at least?  It's really difficult to find good footwear for cosplay, especially for cons.  I have plantar fasciitis so I am looking for shoes that will fit my inserts.  I am a bit concerned how I am going to do with 4 days of con going with my foot.  
  • Oh yes - just waiting for them to email me the code. 

These are classic saddle shoes, so I went with good quality ones that I can wear for years, rather than cheap fashion ones.
    My sweater guard is coming on well. My wire wrapping is pretty rubbish, but if anyone is looking at my chest that closely I can whack them with my shield.
  • Hstrylvr said:
    My wigs came yesterday.  I bought a red one and a blonde one.  I am still not sure how I feel about the blonde on me.  I'm hispanic, but insanely light-skinned that most people think I am just plain white.  Or Italian.  Or Himalayan.  The blonde is for Thor, and for possibly another cosplay down the line.  The red though, that is for Bombshell Batwoman, and I think I rock it pretty well.  Only 1 1/2 weeks left before my con!
    I love all the Bombshell designs. I started Hawkgirl over a year ago. I have the clothing parts done, but have gotten nowhere with the helmet and rocket pack. I need to just set aside a couple of weekends and really focus on them.
  • ellystar said:
    I love all the Bombshell designs. I started Hawkgirl over a year ago. I have the clothing parts done, but have gotten nowhere with the helmet and rocket pack. I need to just set aside a couple of weekends and really focus on them.
    Oh nice!  I am working on my bat this week-end.  I couldn't find an adult sized one that was just plain.  They all had logos on them.  So I had to buy a small one.  At least it won't be very heavy!  

I think next I would like to try and do Bombshell Huntress.  Me and purple go well together.  I will probably have to do Captain America first though.  One of my friends wants to be Bucky and she needs a Captain!  
  • I didn't do it - I was so tired when I got up this morning that I just couldn't face doing my hair and makeup properly. So we just wore Star Trek tshirts.

But when we got home I put on my teenybopper Captain America costume and husbeast was SO impressed. He hadn't seen any of what I was doing and he wants to go to another con so I can wear it.
  • @foodycatAlicia did you have fun at the Con?
  • KarenFK said:
    @foodycatAlicia did you have fun at the Con?
    I haven't decided yet. It was interesting, but I don't think I would actually say fun.
  • You should post a picture for us!  You worked hard on it.

Why do you say it was interesting, as opposed to fun?  They can be a bit tiring.    
  • Hstrylvr said:
    You should post a picture for us!  You worked hard on it.

Why do you say it was interesting, as opposed to fun?  They can be a bit tiring.    
    Too many people, not a lot of stuff I was interested in. I think a more sci-fi, less anime orientated con would have been a better choice for my first. The majority of cosplayers were in anime and game costumes that I didn't recognise, wasn't interested in any of the panels and it didn't exactly attract A list stars. Aiden Turner was probably the biggest name there, and he's not someone I am going to queue for hours for an autograph!

I think I was possibly in the wrong frame of mind - completely exhausted, for one thing. My hands and feet swell in hot weather and by mid-way through the afternoon my hands looked like sausages and I could hardly bend my fingers, which was also making me cranky.
  • @foodycatAlicia, that's too bad.  The weather does play an important part, especially if you are going to be in costume.  We are due to have our first excessive heat advisory this coming week-end.  Right in time for comicon.  Thank goodness our convention center has an indoor walkway attaching the buildings.    
  • What I did like was how inclusive it was. My husband even pointed out how interesting it was that the petite girls in skimpy clothes weren't getting any more positive attention than the big girls in skimpy clothes. And it really made the point about how Hollywood could be more inclusive - loads of Afro Caribbean fans, loads of Asian fans, loads of women. It's really nice seeing a father-son pair of T'Challas (and in the movie costuming, not the comics)!
  • Daughter and boyfriend are looking to go to the Chicago con at the end of summer.  He's already been working on a Kylo Ren costume, and she's thinking about going as Captain Phasma.  The thing that's stumping them is Phasma's armor.  He was thinking craft foam - the heavier stuff, like the kind they use for floor mats in garages or preschools, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to take shaping or painting well.  Any experienced cosplayers have any suggestions that something that will work for chrome armor, but won't be prohibitively expensive for a teenager's budget?
  • Patty_D said:
    Daughter and boyfriend are looking to go to the Chicago con at the end of summer.  He's already been working on a Kylo Ren costume, and she's thinking about going as Captain Phasma.  The thing that's stumping them is Phasma's armor.  He was thinking craft foam - the heavier stuff, like the kind they use for floor mats in garages or preschools, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to take shaping or painting well.  Any experienced cosplayers have any suggestions that something that will work for chrome armor, but won't be prohibitively expensive for a teenager's budget?
    http://www.epbot.com/ these guys seem to do the most amazing things with craft foam, and have a lot of really clever ideas for making wearable costuming.
  • Patty_D said:
    Daughter and boyfriend are looking to go to the Chicago con at the end of summer.  He's already been working on a Kylo Ren costume, and she's thinking about going as Captain Phasma.  The thing that's stumping them is Phasma's armor.  He was thinking craft foam - the heavier stuff, like the kind they use for floor mats in garages or preschools, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to take shaping or painting well.  Any experienced cosplayers have any suggestions that something that will work for chrome armor, but won't be prohibitively expensive for a teenager's budget?
    That's a tricky one.

My immediate thought is to use the thin sheets of craft foam over an "outline" of wire - you can buy very heavy wire for gardeners at most Home Depot/Lowes/etc, and then see if the metallic spray paint from Wal Mart (I love that stuff, use it all the time) will take well on it.  If not, I use mylar sheets for cutting stencils, and I'm 99% positive that holds spray paint quite well.

When I made my Plague Doctor mask, I used the craft foam, covered it with fabric (glued on the inside), supported the interior with the heaviest craft wire I could find, and it held up very well, even in the rain!

Thinking about attaching the separate pieces of armor together, my instinct is to say snaps
    (these snaps)

- and attach them in at least two or three places so that each one has back-up in case the stress of being worn causes one to break.

Looking at pictures online, perhaps if she could get black leggings and a black long-sleeved shirt, and carefully attach the finished leg and arm pieces with superglue, she might not even need snaps.  Once all the small pieces are on, you would just need two separate vest pieces, and those could attach in back with straps (might use snaps for those though), and everything would be covered with the cloak.

Helmet might be tricky.  My vote would be get some sort of foam insert for a skateboard helmet (or even just cannibalize a skate helmet) and wire craft foam into the right shape, and then carefully glue foil over it. 

Hope any of that helps; I've never tried anything as elaborate as that - yet.
  • I really need to buy a sewing machine. And a house big enough for a table to cut out on. I have SO many ideas that I can't execute because of not sewing.
  • Can't see the photos.  Maybe they're only visible to your facebook friends?
  • @Hstrylvr those are so great! Love Thor!
  • Patty_D said:
    http://www.epbot.com/ these guys seem to do the most amazing things with craft foam, and have a lot of really clever ideas for making wearable costuming.
    Thanks - well acquainted with Epbot!  Love their stuff.
  • Patty_D said:
    That's a tricky one.

My immediate thought is to use the thin sheets of craft foam over an "outline" of wire - you can buy very heavy wire for gardeners at most Home Depot/Lowes/etc, and then see if the metallic spray paint from Wal Mart (I love that stuff, use it all the time) will take well on it.  If not, I use mylar sheets for cutting stencils, and I'm 99% positive that holds spray paint quite well.

When I made my Plague Doctor mask, I used the craft foam, covered it with fabric (glued on the inside), supported the interior with the heaviest craft wire I could find, and it held up very well, even in the rain!

Thinking about attaching the separate pieces of armor together, my instinct is to say snaps
    (these snaps)

- and attach them in at least two or three places so that each one has back-up in case the stress of being worn causes one to break.

Looking at pictures online, perhaps if she could get black leggings and a black long-sleeved shirt, and carefully attach the finished leg and arm pieces with superglue, she might not even need snaps.  Once all the small pieces are on, you would just need two separate vest pieces, and those could attach in back with straps (might use snaps for those though), and everything would be covered with the cloak.

Helmet might be tricky.  My vote would be get some sort of foam insert for a skateboard helmet (or even just cannibalize a skate helmet) and wire craft foam into the right shape, and then carefully glue foil over it. 

Hope any of that helps; I've never tried anything as elaborate as that - yet.

Great ideas.  My biggest concern is that the type of craft foam they can afford won't take the paint well.  I sew, and have costume craft training, so the construction part didn't concern me as much.  I like the idea of using heavy gauge wire to frame the foam. 

It turns out the timing isn't right for her to go to this year's con, but will put a pin in this for another time. I have a suspicion this will come up again closer to Halloween.

• I wonder about using that metallic finish adhesive paper (we call it "sticky back plastic" in the UK... the stuff you use for covering school books) as a foil over the craft foam?
  • edited June 2016
    I wonder about using that metallic finish adhesive paper (we call it "sticky back plastic" in the UK... the stuff you use for covering school books) as a foil over the craft foam?
    That might be a possibility.  Not sure if we have the equivalent here - the only thing I can think of is shelf paper, and I know that wouldn't work.  Will have to dig.  (Any school book covers I've ever used had to come off again, since they would get reused the next year.)  there might be something equivalent in the scrapbooking/papercrafting area, but cost might be an issue there.
  • Patty_D said:
    I wonder about using that metallic finish adhesive paper (we call it "sticky back plastic" in the UK... the stuff you use for covering school books) as a foil over the craft foam?
    That might be a possibility.  Not sure if we have the equivalent here - the only thing I can think of is shelf paper, and I know that wouldn't work.  Will have to dig.  (Any school book covers I've ever used had to come off again, since they would get reused the next year.)  there might be something equivalent in the scrapbooking/papercrafting area, but cost might be an issue there.
    https://www.amazon.com/Tact-Creative-Covering-Self-Adhesive-18-Inches/dp/B000KKMO7W so this definitely wouldn't work?
  • Patty_D said:
    https://www.amazon.com/Tact-Creative-Covering-Self-Adhesive-18-Inches/dp/B000KKMO7W so this definitely wouldn't work?
    It's generally REALLY thick - I hadn't realized it came in metallics, though.  Food for thought.
  • The hubby and I don't cosplay as much as we use to since his main focus these past few years has been fashiond eisgn. Also this year he ahs to focus on some medical needs

However we still catch a few cons every year. One of the few advantages about living in Texas is there no shortage of cons big and small. Infact there's at least one good size con each month in each major Texas city

back in april we helped out at HavenCon which is designed for Gay Geeks and Nerds

plenty of fun picks I got

• Patty_D said:

Great ideas.  My biggest concern is that the type of craft foam they can afford won't take the paint well.  I sew, and have costume craft training, so the construction part didn't concern me as much.  I like the idea of using heavy gauge wire to frame the foam. 

It turns out the timing isn't right for her to go to this year's con, but will put a pin in this for another time. I have a suspicion this will come up again closer to Halloween.

Most craft foam takes paint well, it just soaks it up because it's porous. I haven't found one yet that doesn't paint well. I would recommend using 3-4 coats of Plasti-Dip to seal it before painting. It really helps.

Also, craft foam molds with heat. So if you heat it with a heat gun (hair dryers kind of work, but spring for the heat gun if you can), shape it around a form, and then once it cools it keeps the shape. The Plasti-Dip will also help it keep the shape. I like the idea of the wire too.

Check out Punished Props, who does a ton of work with foam and provides lots of tutorials. His e-books on working with foam are well worth the money too.

www.punishedprops.com

Also, check out the Replica Prop Forums and search for posts about Phasma. I'm sure there are lots of people who have already tackled the costume, and although I'm not a part of that community I know they are super helpful and there is lots of great information on there.
  • edited June 2016
    ellystar said:
    Patty_D said:

Most craft foam takes paint well, it just soaks it up because it's porous. I haven't found one yet that doesn't paint well. I would recommend using 3-4 coats of Plasti-Dip to seal it before painting. It really helps.

Also, craft foam molds with heat. So if you heat it with a heat gun (hair dryers kind of work, but spring for the heat gun if you can), shape it around a form, and then once it cools it keeps the shape. The Plasti-Dip will also help it keep the shape. I like the idea of the wire too.

Check out Punished Props, who does a ton of work with foam and provides lots of tutorials. His e-books on working with foam are well worth the money too.

www.punishedprops.com

Also, check out the Replica Prop Forums and search for posts about Phasma. I'm sure there are lots of people who have already tackled the costume, and although I'm not a part of that community I know they are super helpful and there is lots of great information on there.
    Thanks so much!  We have a couple heat guns around (DIYers in the home as well), so at least that won't be an unneeded splurge.