Friend Dilemma

1235»

Comments

• That's super generous of you, @drsweetie ! Have you asked your child? They might have an opinion on how to handle it.
  • I haven't mentioned it to Rory (my kid) because I'm not sure what either of the kids knows about the friend's financial situation, and I don't want to accidentally spill info about other people's business.

I'll admit that part of my motivation here is wanting to keep my kid from being disappointed (it's not solely altruistic). :wink:
  • I don't have any great ideas on how you can ask, but that's very kind of you. I hope it works out.
  • edited January 30
    drsweetie said:

This is an old thread and my question isn't related to the original post, but it's a dilemma involving friends. My child and their BFF have been making plans to go to summer camp together this year (it'd be the 3rd year in a row for them). Unfortunately, the friend's parents (who are also friends with my husband and me) are divorcing and their financial situation isn't very stable right now, so the friend may not be able to afford to go. We're not rich, but I taught an overload this semester and will have some extra money we could swing their way to cover some of the cost of the camp. Is there any way I can make such an offer without making things awkward?

How nice! You could phrase it as "my kid & your kid are so looking fwd to it, please let me know if I can help blah blah" or even as a super nice bday present for their kid?
    Also, my god those friend stories were so sad. @Qitkat I think yours was the saddest for me :( However, those hideous bmaids dresses brought back my smile!!!!!
  • @DrSparkles
    ...@Qitkat I think yours was the saddest for me :( ...

I had to go back and find my old post as I had forgotten what exactly I said. It made me sad to read it again too. But I'm grateful my best friend from Florida and high school so many years ago is still in my life today. Absolutely NOTHING could tear us apart now, and we've been through a lot of crap together.

As for the question posed by @drsweetie, I think your gesture would be lovely, but I know people can also be very touchy about financial matters. I hope you can figure out how to approach your friend with sensitivity, maybe somehow you could present it as one of those 'pay it forward' situations, wanting to help out without them feeling obligated to you especially but someday they may be in a position to help out someone else. Good luck.

• What if I were just to anonymously send them one of those prepaid Visa card things? If you got that in the mail, would you feel happy or creeped out?
  • drsweetie said:

What if I were just to anonymously send them one of those prepaid Visa card things? If you got that in the mail, would you feel happy or creeped out?

I know I would be suspicious, you know, with current issues of identity theft. Not such a good idea, imo.
  • drsweetie said:

What if I were just to anonymously send them one of those prepaid Visa card things? If you got that in the mail, would you feel happy or creeped out?

I'd be creeped out. Or think it was a scam.
  • Yeah, now that I think about it that's definitely creeepy.