Hamiltunes

Comments

• KarenFK said:
    Yaaas.  Also, some light at the end of the tunnel for LA and SF.  
  • Here is Jonathan Groff on Charlie Rose.

http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60662070
  • I go see Hamilton today! I am so excited! I have basically been listening to the album on loop since Friday. 
  • Have fun @Leandra I'm sure you'll love it. 

Word is there'll be documentry on the creation of the show airing on PBS later this year
  • @Leandra -- have fun! I am seeing it again in April and I just can't wait.

I had a nightmare last night that I lost my ticket, so hold tight to yours and enjoy it.
  • @Leandra -- how was it? I saw in Lin's twitter feed that there was a substitute Lafayette/Jefferson yesterday, but I am sure it was great.
  • It was AMAZING! I was so enraptured the whole time. I was so blown away (pun intended) by the use of the stage and lights etc. And the ensemble was incredible. I mean, lets be real, the whole cast was incredible and basically everyone was onstage in some way the entire time. 

There was a swing understudy for Lafayette/Jefferson so a little bummed that it wasn't Daveed Diggs but he did a great job. He hit lyrics from a slightly different angle than Digss which was interesting to see. He was a little smoother and less stacatto I would say but just as fast for sure. 

I bought the A. Ham hat and took a picture with Leslie Odom Jr. with it. :) 

In conclusion, LOVED IT SO MUCH! 
  • @Leandra I am so glad that you loved it. My son and I saw it back in July and we were just ... enraptured would not be too strong a word. It really is a game changing, unique work of art.  

Very jealous you got to meet Leslie Odom Jr and got a photo! I regret not doing the stage door when we saw it.

My boss is seeing it next month and she refuses to listen to it beforehand! I keep telling her it will only enhance the experience since it is visually very different than when you just listen (also difference between studio recording and live performance, etc.). She is not listening to me on this.
  • edited January 2016
    Hamilton fans: according to the Hamilton website, a new block of tickets for NY shows is going on sale today for AMEx card holders and to the general public on 2/2. So go for it!

ETA: the tickets being sold are for Nov 2016-Jan 2017. http://www.hamiltonbroadway.com/
  • I was on the phone with my friend yesterday for a solid hour explaining in as much detail as I could what the performance was like. 
  • I know the Grammys are tedious but the Hailton cast are performing tonight so it might be worth checking it out!
  • Well they teased it awhile back....gee, 40+ minutes ago...ugh

nice tribute to  Lionel Ritchie (oh god...I am so old...sigh)

wait- this woman is way over doing it...

they REALLY need a prompter to tell us who the HECK the people are!

>>>head scratching<<<

I want to see Adele and Gaga but don't want to wait 3 or 4 hours...
  • Holy Moly! Dayum!!!! got goosebumps. Watching this live. wow.
  • Great performance!
  • Very impressive performance.  And it won Best Musical Album (which I'm sure surprised no one).  So I suppose the question now for the 70th Tony Awards is not will Hamilton win, but can Hamilton beat the Producers, who won every musical category you can win except for Best Actress (and only cause no one from the show was nominated there)?
  • and hopefully they will make a better movie of Hamilton (I really didn't like the movie version of The Producers)

what an electrifying performance!  I know 'of' the show but had no idea what to expect....wow.
  • and hopefully they will make a better movie of Hamilton (I really didn't like the movie version of The Producers)

what an electrifying performance!  I know 'of' the show but had no idea what to expect....wow.
    My theory on the film of The Producers is that it suffered from having the stage director as the movie director.  Stroman is an excellent theatre director, and she had stars who know how to act for film, but it's like she insisted on the over-the-top, see-it-from-the-cheap-seats performances that translated terribly on film.

Frankly, with Hamilton, I wish someone would just film a live performance of the stage show, like they did with Helen Mirren's The Audience or Phantom's 25th Anniversary.
  • CourtneyA said:
    and hopefully they will make a better movie of Hamilton (I really didn't like the movie version of The Producers)

My theory on the film of The Producers is that it suffered from having the stage director as the movie director.  Stroman is an excellent theatre director, and she had stars who know how to act for film, but it's like she insisted on the over-the-top, see-it-from-the-cheap-seats performances that translated terribly on film.

Frankly, with Hamilton, I wish someone would just film a live performance of the stage show, like they did with Helen Mirren's The Audience or Phantom's 25th Anniversary.
    I totally agree...they were clearly working under theater directions....shooting for the 'bleachers'...the 'acting' was very over done...I completely blame the direction for not reeling in the acting/style etc...

Noises Off (great live play!) the movie version should just have been a stationary camera (or two)  (and a totally wasted great cast....Carol Burnette for goodness sake!!!)

but am guessing it will years for a movie?

(why not a movie version of the musical La Cage? or Oliver?)
  • I think it needs one of those PBS Great Performances episodes, where they film the stage production with the original cast. A movie would probably ruin it -- but I expect that will depend how much (more) money the powers that be want to make off of it.

In any event they are not going to do anything to make it more accessible to the masses while they are still selling out both NY and the touring shows so far in advance. After all, it only opened 6 months ago. It is nice that they are committed to getting kids to see it (every 11 grader in NYC is seeing it this year and they plan something similar for Chicago and SF). Lin Miranda seems like the type of person who will make decisions for reasons other than just maximizing profit, so hopefully something will happen as soon as it's practical.
  • He's mentioned he'd like to film the stage production with the original cast, whether that becomes something broadcastable I don;t know. They're sold out almost a year in advance, with regional tours too. Lin's already got a job writing for a Disney movie, so it's not about cash, They'll do what's right by the show and it's been very heavily protected. I sort of admire the fact they didn;t do the Macy's Parade, or appear on every show going. There's been very little footage, they did the Grammys and tthey'll do the Tony's but I love that it's success has been through social media and all the extra stuff they've done, it keeps it fresh for people.
  • There have been recording of theatrical productions in the UK, that have been shown in US movie theaters. This is how I got to see Frankenstein with Johnny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch last year.  It was really well done and it was great that they filmed each version since JLM and BC switch lead roles during the performance.  

It would be fantastic if they could do the same for Hamilton. 
  • There have been recording of theatrical productions in the UK, that have been shown in US movie theaters. This is how I got to see Frankenstein with Johnny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch last year.  It was really well done and it was great that they filmed each version since JLM and BC switch lead roles during the performance.  

It would be fantastic if they could do the same for Hamilton. 
    That's throught the National Theatre, their NT live programme, which now extends to the Donmar Warehouse and occasionally other theatres, such as Kenneth Brannagh's theatre compant when they did A Winter's Tale with Judi Dench. It's a brilliant idea that is growing, it would fit Hamilton perfectly. I know the Lincoln Centre film certain things for their archives, not just their own productions I think. Most of Bartlett Sher's Rodgers & Hammerstein pieces have been filmed I think, and South Pacific was certainly televised.
  • I love the NT Live program. I have seen a few and it's such a great way to see performances that would not be available otherwise. Something similar would be perfect for Hamilton. 
  • Meanwhile I am back to having the cast recording stuck in my head at all times. Listening to it now while trying to get some work done.

The cast recording really is a gift and if you have no way to see it anytime soon, it is a reasonable substitute (especially if you read along with the lyrics the first time through so you can follow who's who and catch all the lyrics).
  • ::jumping up and down with glee::  Hamilton is coming to my city!  Gammage Theater in Tempe, AZ has announced the official Hamilton tour will be part of the 17-18 year!  I practically bounced out of my work chair when I read this!  
  • Weirdly the cast recording has been a comfort blanket to me this week, especially Burn. It's one of the most perfectly written musical theatre songs I've ever heard. The whole thing is great, the more listen, the more you get from it.
  • I finally got around to listening to the Hamilton soundtrack, and I'm officially obsessed now! Anyway, I just read this article about how the show has helped to bring attention (and funding) to Eliza's orphanage! : http://observer.com/2016/03/how-hamilton-reinvigorated-a-210-year-old-childrens-charity/

On a lighter note, this Batman/Hamilton mash-up is perfect! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rYv2xUijII
  • I am seeing Hamilton (second time) tonight! I am so excited. I saw it at the third preview performance in July so I am interested to see how everyone has settled in to their roles now that it is 9 months later.

I am looking forward to seeing the new King George (Rory O'Malley). Also, Leslie Odom was ill last night, so I hope he's better today. I can't picture anyone else as Aaron Burr -- he is just phenomenonal -- but I am sure it will be a great experience either way.
  • Just coming over to mention I finally downloaded the soundtrack and holy fuck guys you weren't kidding it's been on repeat ALL DAY and I'm O B S E S S E D