Project Runway Junior

Anybody watch it last night? I've DVRed it to watch tonight. Hope it is better that the regular PR, but I know that's am crazy dream!

Comments

• Watched it. Gracie (8) came running up the driveway shouting about it being on. She was super excited.

They are talented kids. Too much black, they are all afraid of pattern and color. Love the fact that there will be less producer driven drama, as they don't want to slander a kid's character. The time shown is work time and runway time, not as much blah, blah, blah, hour and a half, product placement nonsense. It's more like OG PR. 

What I really love it the idea that teens are being so true to themselves. I graduated high school in the 90s. Being gay wouldn't have been a huge deal, but being as out, proud, and expressive as these kids would have been unthinkable. It speaks well for the future.

• Well, your review gives me hope - thanks!
  • I agree with @BitingPanda that they are really talented kids. What I liked most was that they were so excited about being there and doing the challenge. Sometimes with the grown up version, the adult competitors are almost already jaded about the show before it even starts (playing it safe or not really challenging themselves).

With the JR ones, it was kind of refreshing to see so many of them genuinely excited about making something. Their final looks were every bit as polished (if not more in some cases) than some of the adults in the last few seasons of the regular PR. I also liked that the kids were supportive of each and when everyone's looks came down the runway, you could actually hear when they liked each others. There was less drama and sniping and more about the actual designers and what they created. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. I have always enjoyed PR but in the last few season especially the adult designers have been more about being catty than about challenging themselves and showing what they can do. I think what was in the show last night with the PR JR was that the enthusiasm was back.

• It was refreshing to watch PR Junior

Yu could tell how much the kids wanted to be there and how they wanted to learn and grow. None of them seemed too much much up their own ass or delusional. They were hungry and fearless but at that age that's how you would be. And you could tell the judges and Tim had legit comments and feedback

I too was impressed with what these kids managed in a 1 day challenge. It came down to nitpicking and distnctions in the outcome. I felt bad for the first aufee. She had a fundamentally sound design that went off the construction rails. The other kid just skated by. It was clear Tim's comments to the judges probably saved him
  • I'm impressed so far.

The lack of producer driven drama and endless, idiotic product placement was refreshing. It's pretty wonderful to not have to suffer through the "Sally Beauty Studio" and "Just Fab Wall" crap.

Tim is still at the top of my shit list, but I think him mentoring teenagers instead of adult designers is good. These kids really do need his knowledge and mentoring. He in turn seems to need their enthusiasm and commitment.

Love seeing Christian as a judge. He makes astute critiques and is able to phrase those critiques in a constructive and helpful way.
    I kept staring at Kelly Osbourne's lavender bun, imagining that I was creeping up behind her with a pair shears to cut that sucker off.
  • I think (in agreement with what everyone has said so far) that is why the PR Jr is more interesting right now to me. The adults seem to have forgotten that they are being given an opportunity to showcase their work and challenge their creativity. Nothing annoys me more than watching the adult PR and watching designer after designer just do whatever to "be safe" or to "get by" on the challenges. While it is true PR has been on a long time, you are still being looked at as a designer and showing what YOU can do. So why why why would you do mediocre or lackluster stuff just to stay in the competition. What does it gain you if no one really cares about seeing your work cause its just so-so or nothing outstanding. I would rather see ones like the JR competitors who have enthusiasm and drive to show what they can do.

And @Gemfemme, I thought Kelly's bun was very distracting too...I focused more on it than what she was saying.
  • I watched this on demand yesterday, and it was great. It really was like remembering the earlier days of PR. I wanted to bing watch another episode right away, but of course, that wasn't possible.
  • I really enjoyed it, love watching Christian give his critiques, they are always on point and I felt the best design won and the most problematic went home, so for me, so far so good. I'm in.
  • Okay whatever hestiation I had about the show is gone

I haven't responded this well to PR since season 7 (with Seth-Aaron, Mila and Ping)

I really like these kids and as a whole they are better contestants (though not necessarily better designers) than the last few cycles of normal PR. What I really respond to his the healthier attitudes these kids have. On one hand they know PR well enough to not be too surprised by any twist. On the other, they have such optimistic enthusiasm and a real desire to do well. So far no jaded, damaged, camera whoring drama queens. The advantage of innocence and youth.

Too bad about the auf. But I give her credit fow keeping a brave face on the runway and waiting until later before the tears flowed.
  • Yep, sticking to my guns. Great show. 

More wearable looks came down the runway from the "Unconventional Materials" challenge than usually show up on Adult PR. 
  • So two episodes in I am really liking the show.  They focus on the creativity and camaraderie, and the kids themselves are so enthusiastic.  Plus it's nice to see a world where gay boys are free to be themselves and not get bullied.

Oh, and the judging hasn't been too whack so far.  The winner and losers of each episode were clearly in contention for the "honors."  Heck, even Kelly O. hasn't bugged me and that's a REAL accomplishment thus far.
  • Wow.  These kids are good.  Unlike a lot of their adult counterparts, they took seriously the "make it look like an actual garment" part of the challenge, and pretty much did so successfully.   There were so many good designs on the runway (and, as much as one can tell from viewing, mostly well-executed) that it must have been pretty close as to who was in the top.

And, yes, the lack of drama thus far has been refreshing.
  • I loved both of the top looks. Really outstanding, creative and done in one day.

Oof, the losing outfit was bad, but I felt even worse for her being sent home. She seemed like such an enthusiastic and sunny young soul.

I did burst out laughing seeing the model "walking" down the runway in that black tube/hose skirt. Even the designer laughingly acknowledged that is was pretty bad.

I'm still very impressed with the show.
  • Gemfemme said:
    l. I did burst out laughing seeing the model "walking" down the runway in that black tube/hose skirt. Even the designer laughingly acknowledged that is was pretty bad.
    He was so cute when he wasn't sent home, started choking up, and said, "I'm a mess, just like my skirt"!

These young designers seem to be much more self-aware, less blinded by ego, than a lot of the older folks.
  • I wonder when the show was filmed? I wonder if it was going on the same time as PR season 14? If so it might partly explain Tim's attitude and the comments he's been quoted.

I'm not trying to justify Tim's comments but if the 2 shows were being filmed in an overlapping schedule or in around the same time, I could see it affecting him. If I were in his place I think I might get pissy with those S14 contestants as well after interacting with these kids who seem to give it their all and are so enthusiastic.
  • edited November 2015
    @Frank_821

According to this interview with Tim, it was filmed after PR 14 wrapped.
  • The kids really are delightful and talented. And I love how they can appreciate being around others who share their interests. As I was watching today (on demand), I realized it's probably also nice for the adults involved, in the sense that they see these kids as potential, and can be really encouraging towards them, because they know if they kids grow other talents and pursue those, their encouragement is still an overall good thing. Whereas I suspect with some of the adult designers, they sometimes want to say something along the line of "have you considered an alternate career?"
  • Yep, sticking to my guns. Great show. 

More wearable looks came down the runway from the "Unconventional Materials" challenge than usually show up on Adult PR. 
    I watched this for the first time on Thursday and these kids have won me over. They have talent, and turned out better work than I've seen on many regular PR challenges.  Tim also seems to be refreshed mentoring the young designers.
  • I was talking to my eldest about the show, trying to convince a return to watching PR together, and I'm quite curious to know where/how these teens learn pattern making. Doesn't seem like a home ec/family skills/whatever the class is called nowadays skill. Are they all self-taught? Some great online classes? At their age, I felt pleased with myself when I made something successfully from a pattern (just getting the fabric right, and actually making the darn thing!). 

I'm so NOT missing the hair/makeup/accessories part of the runway. It seems to keep more focus on the actual designs, than on how the designers are presenting their stuff.
  • I think a lot of them have thanked someone in their family for teaching them to sew, but yes, they're probably mostly self taugh maybe with private lessons or "fashion camp" or something like that on the side.
  • Yeah, beyond the sewing, it's the pattern making. Back in the distant past, when the Eldest was excited enough about PR to want to try her hand at sewing and creating, we had a really hard time finding sewing classes, much less any that covered any advanced skills. I mean, most were on the level of "make a pillow and a simple bag"--and we have a state university in our town that has a fashion program! 

I just can't get over how nice it is that they not only have skills, but also are self-motivated and friendly.
  • Lilithcat said:
    He was so cute when he wasn't sent home, started choking up, and said, "I'm a mess, just like my skirt"!

@Lilithcat ;  Yes, that was adorable!  I loved him for that.

Agree with you all...really enjoying this show.
  • I know this goes against conventional reality TV competitions, but since they're kids i think a different approach would be exciting...   Presumably each kid is learning and developing their creative sides with each competition.  Why not stop with the Auf'ds and have each competition on a point scale and at the end of the season the kid with the most points wins.  

I think this would be interesting because they're so young and so willing to learning it would be very fun to watch them grow and develope their respective talents.  Not going to happen, just my two cents.  
  • @Scrufff there was a kids cooking competition on the food channel like that. They kids stayed all season and got stars for each week's top performance; at the end there was a final-exam type challenge to announce the winner. It gave time for me to appreciate each kids' strengths and not just notice all their quirks (cause you know a kid with some high skill level in some area has to be at least a little quirky). Granted that shows' contestants were younger than these kids, but I tend to agree. I'd rather have a smaller cast that stays together and improves together. Then they can have a prize for most improved, as well as the overall winner. 
  • I have to confess that I'm really taken with PR Junior.  There is something refreshing about these teen designers.
  • At times these teenage designers seem more mature and creative than their adult counterparts.

It was a fun challenge. I just wish all the designers could have gone to Mood instead of just two from each team.
  • Gemfemme said:
    At times these teenage designers seem more mature and creative than their adult counterparts. It was a fun challenge. I just wish all the designers could have gone to Mood instead of just two from each team.
    I wonder if the selection process for PR Junior stressed choosing young people who demonstrated  emotional maturity. 

I agree that sending all of the designers to Mood would have been a good idea, and certainly fun for them.  
  • I wonder if the selection process for PR Junior stressed choosing young people who demonstrated  emotional maturity. 
    /snark/ Maybe they should try that with the original Project Runway. /snark/
  • Lilithcat said:
    I wonder if the selection process for PR Junior stressed choosing young people who demonstrated  emotional maturity. 
    /snark/ Maybe they should try that with the original Project Runway. /snark/
    Hah!  
  • Anyone else still watching? I'm having PR Junior withdrawal symptoms already with no new episodes until Jan. 7! This series has been such a pleasant and unexpected surprise. The kids really are a breath of fresh air, even with a few bitchy confessionals thrown in (but even then, they're not far off the mark with their critiques).  I enjoy seeing Tim the Teacher again (another welcome change from PR Geriatric), Christian is an excellent judge, and even the host, whatshername, doesn't bug that much.  Certainly the emotions (from the judging panel) seem genuine with each aufing and it does make me wish they had gone with a points-accrual system over the course of a whole season, rather than aufing. 

While Zachary (that's the Californian with impeccable construction skills, right?) seems a lock, we all know locks usually stumble.  So I would say that Maya and the NYC gal who loves the androgynous designs (can't remember her name and the website doesn't seem to list them) are the next strongest candidates, though Peytie also seems to be currying favor with the judges (her aesthetic seems a bit limited to me, but she does have something interesting going on).