Harry Potter

edited December 2015 in Books & Music
Can you believe that we haven't actually had a separate Harry Potter thread?! We've just talked about him in all the other threads.

Favourite characters? Favourite scenes? All around Harry Potter love?

ETA I reckon that since the last movie came out 4 years ago, there is no need for spoiler alerts. 

Comments

• My favourite book is The Prisoner of Azkaban. Not a favourite scene, per se, but I always ALWAYS cry when Sirus is killed. Harry's anguish and rage, always gets to me. 

And in the Order of the Phoenix film when Voldemort is trying to possess Harry during his duel with Dumbledore and Harry fights back by thinking of Sirius, Ron and Hermione and he says, "You're the weak one. You'll never know friendship or love and I feel sorry for you..." shit, I need a moment now *fans eyes*
  • Anna_P said:
    My favourite book is The Prisoner of Azkaban. Not a favourite scene, per se, but I always ALWAYS cry when Sirus is killed. Harry's anguish and rage, always gets to me. 

And in the Order of the Phoenix film when Voldemort is trying to possess Harry during his duel with Dumbledore and Harry fights back by thinking of Sirius, Ron and Hermione and he says, "You're the weak one. You'll never know friendship or love and I feel sorry for you..." shit, I need a moment now *fans eyes*
    Stahp. That's my favorite too. The anger and grief, followed by the montage of love....  

That whole moment.  The wand fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort that turns into him a glowing heap of mess on the floor.  So well done. 
  • I don't know why, but when they're visiting Mr. Weasley in the hospital and Harry is overwhelmed by all the things there - the candles in nice sanitary bubbles, the portraits of healers giving advice, and all the crazy maladies they see when they go again on Christmas (the toddler with large feathery wings sprouting from the back of her rompers??? genius!) is one of my absolute favorite scenes ever.  It gives me the same feeling I get when I've gone to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios and I'm inside the story. 

Has anyone else been to WWHP?  I'm dying to get a full set of robes but they're $110 per set so it's a bit pricey.  I have to say, walking into Honeydukes was almost as good as they describe it in the book (problem is, it's very hot in Florida so you don't get that warm sugar/cold air change), and I was definitely a kid in that candy store!  And the chocolate frogs!  They're huge AND they're nice chocolate, AND the collectible cards are wonderful.  I got Dumbledore - and I bought a second one for my mom and she got Rowena Ravenclaw, which as a Ravenclaw, she's very proud of.

Also, if you do ever go, make sure you get the two-park pass and take the train between the two.  The windows are actually some kind of video screen, and you see different scenes on the way to/from Hogwarts/Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

• This https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/ is 10 minutes up the road from me but I've never been. I've been asking for tickets for Christmas, but husbeast is horrified at the prospect of being surrounded by over-sugared children. But honestly I think it's likely to be more adults than children at this stage.
  • This https://www.wbstudiotour.co.uk/ is 10 minutes up the road from me but I've never been. I've been asking for tickets for Christmas, but husbeast is horrified at the prospect of being surrounded by over-sugared children. But honestly I think it's likely to be more adults than children at this stage.
    Oh I wanna go!! Take me!  Take me!!

I swear I won't eat any sugar beforehand :D
  • Speaking of sugar, if you're diabetic or pre-diabetic STAY AWAY FROM THE BUTTERBEER.  I have never been able to finish a full one, and I used to eat sugar by the spoonful while I read books.
  • My favorite book is Goblet of Fire.  My favorite movie is Chamber of Secrets. 

I will do a Harry Potter movie marathon at some point between Christmas and New Years.  It's one of my favorite things to do . 
  • I'm DYING to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. 

I have Harry Potter movie marathons during the holidays too, @TravelingDesign!
  • Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite in both book and film.

The night bus scene in the movie just sets the tone with the craziness, the counting down when the little old lady is in the crosswalk, Tom turning off the car alarm at the end of that scene.

Sirius Blacks wanted posters.
  • I think Goblet of Fire is my favourite book and least favourite movie.
  • Favourite movie scene is Harry & Hermione dancing badly to Nick Cave in Deathly Hallows.
    Absolutely this.  Why did that movie just not work as well as the others? 
  • Meanwhile, my son and I are going to see Potted Potter (covering all 7 books in 70 minutes) in a couple of weeks. Should be fun.
    Absolutely this.  Why did that movie just not work as well as the others? 
    It's such a ginormous book, and I think the choices that had to be made for length really hurt the story-telling.  So many scenes got left out.
  • @graziDiMenti I would agree with that.  Also, the pacing was off.  Some points felt so slow or so fast. 
  • edited December 2015
    I wish all the Kittens could go to WWHP together!  Think how much fun we'd have!!!

I think I have to go again this summer, by hook or by crook.  Must start saving now...no more candles except from the dollar store (which has surprisingly nice ones!!) or World Market, I think.

OOTP came out right when I was an angry teenager myself, so I'm still amazed at how much of an impression it left on me.  I put my fist through a wall once back then, and yet when I finished OOTP I just put it down and said to my mom, "It was just so angry."

I think my favorites are still the first and seventh books though.  The first because it was a gorgeous candyland of this wizarding world tucked so neatly next to our own...and the seventh because everything we'd learned over our own adolescence (I was definitely a member of the HP Generation - 7th book came out summer before my sophomore year of college) was finally, finally coming together and giving us some massive payoffs.
  • I want to go to WWHP so badly.  I'm 48 years old, my son is 13 and kind of over it and hubs never really got into it so much. Florida is a long expensive trip from Colorado, but there is the California one opening in April - so maybe I can go one day.

Anyway -  I love the scene where Neville kills Nagini the snake.  Whenever I watch the first few movies where Neville is just such a hopeless dork I say, "don't worry Neville, you're gonna be awesome". 

When Hermione conjures a wreath for Harry's parents in the graveyard.

When Harry tries to comfort Hermione after Ron kisses Lavender.

Favorite book and movie - hmmmm - probably Azkaban for the movie.  I don't know if I can choose a book - Azkaban or Half Blood Prince.

Favorite characters - Dobby, Luna, Neville, Fred and George, Sirius.

• edited December 2015

When Harry tries to comfort Hermione after Ron kisses Lavender.

YAS.

A tearful Hermione asking, "How does it feel Harry? When you see Dean with Ginny. I've seen the way you look at her, you're my best friend." And then when she breaks down crying and Harry says, "It feels like this."

The first time I saw that in the theatre, it was like I was 15 years old again and going through the same thing with Hermione. I also felt the same way at the end of the Yule ball after she gets into a fight with Ron and she sits on the stairs, takes off her shoes and throws them in frustration. 
  • Sirius Black and Luna Lovegood are my favourite. Also, Fang, if he counts!
  • The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is opening in LA in April 2016, so I am finally going to get to go!
  • I have to say that I will always be disappointed that Harry and Ginny were the couple, and not Harry and Hermione.  
  • I was happy about Harry & Ginny - and that she was the one who ended up with the career in sport - but I agree with J.K that Hermione and Ron wasn't a great idea. She should have chosen herself.
  • Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite book, and probably my favorite movie.  I love the letter from Sirius, and the gift of the owl to Ron.  Favorite characters are Hermione, Sirius, the Weasley twins, and Hedwig.  (That last book was a hard read for me after Hedwig died- I had to take a little break from it for a while, like Joey putting Little Women in the freezer.) 

I'm so excited that the Jim Dale narrated audiobooks are on Audible now- they are great for road trips. 

• Why am I the only one who likes Ron and Hermione?  She tones him down, he draws her out.  While a career working 80 hour weeks for 80 years and changing the MoM and the wizarding community for the better is a honorable and memorable accomplishment, maybe having a family and getting to work for the MoM at the same time gave Hermione a balance she wouldn't have otherwise had.  If family and friends weren't important to her, she wouldn't have stuck with Harry until the very end.
  • I agree, I like Ron and Hermione too. I think she brings out the best in him. 
  • I didn't find Ron and Hermione problematic either.  I think it would have been interesting if someone besides Bill Weasley went outside Hogwarts.  Heck Hermione and Viktor Krum could have been a thing.
  • I didn't find Ron and Hermione problematic either.  I think it would have been interesting if someone besides Bill Weasley went outside Hogwarts.  Heck Hermione and Viktor Krum could have been a thing.
    Krum was an oaf though!  A well-meaning, honorable oaf...but still an oaf.
    I'd even question the honourable after the way he was using his fame to get off with girls at Fleur & Bill's wedding.
    I'd even question the honourable after the way he was using his fame to get off with girls at Fleur & Bill's wedding.
    I was only thinking about the book Goblet of Fire, where it didn't seem as though he was an oaf, an athlete, but not a musclehead.  I didn't remember the wedding part.  Perhaps this was a bad example.
  • its been so long since i've read through or watched them all, but i really loved the reveal of Snape's patronus, that whole story line... i also loved the way it was handled in the movie, where it felt like just enough was given, but it left book folks with a sweet nostalgia of how much more there is to know...

i loved the goblet of fire underwater stuff... and David Tennant in the movie!

Best-sad part: Dobby. <3 Dobby.