Harry Potter

Comments

• ... I'd missed the bit about JK not having written the script http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/12/when-is-jk-rowling-not-jk-rowling-when-she-collaborates-harry-potter-cursed-child less enthusiastic now, I have to say.

You know, I was VERY CERTAIN that when the play was announced it was such a big deal BECAUSE she wrote it, and I'm extra disappointed. Obviously still going to buy it, but I'm less Jessie-on-caffeine-pills about it
    I didn't think she wrote the actual working script, but I assumed she wrote the publishable-book-of-a-script.
  • Re: the 7.1 and 7.2 movies -- I did like that they took out the weird Lupin moments. The fight between Lupin and Harry at Grimwauld Place might be my least favorite moment in the whole series. 

My favorite movie moments might be a five-way tie -- the animation of the "Tale of the Three Brothers" is so lovely. It kills me every time. Another fave is in the fifth movie when Voldemort enters Harry's mind, and then he starts thinking of all the people he loves to get Voldemort out. I also really like the dancing scene and the countryside "listening to the radio" scenes from 7.1. I think one of my favorite lines is from 7.2 though when Minerva awakens the statues and says, "I've always wanted to do that spell." <3 You do your fabulous self, Minerva. 

Favorite book moments -- when Sirius asks Harry to live with him in PoA, when Harry's parents appear and encourage him in the graveyard scene in GoF, and when Lupin, Sirius, and his parents come to him at the end of DH. 
  • Shelby said:
    I think one of my favorite lines is from 7.2 though when Minerva awakens the statues and says, "I've always wanted to do that spell." <3 You do your fabulous self, Minerva. 

I love that. Although in the book when she tells them to do their duty to their school it makes me well up every time.
  • Shelby said:
    I think one of my favorite lines is from 7.2 though when Minerva awakens the statues and says, "I've always wanted to do that spell." <3 You do your fabulous self, Minerva. 

I love that. Although in the book when she tells them to do their duty to their school it makes me well up every time.
    She's literally the best character. When she defends Harry in front of Umbrage in the fifth book, I want to give her a fist bump every time. 
  • Shelby said:
    Shelby said:

She's literally the best character. When she defends Harry in front of Umbrage in the fifth book, I want to give her a fist bump every time. 
    I love her. "Have a biscuit, Potter".
  • So I just finished reading Half Blood Prince....I was sobbing in our bed, reading Dumbledore's funeral scene, and my finace awkwardly patted me on the head and said...."I thought the guy you liked died in the other one? [referring to Sirius at the end of OotP]...what's wrong now?"

I'm not Southern, am I allowed to say bless his heart?
  • Shelby said:

It reminded me of the best bits of Bedknobs and Broomsticks! Gosh, I love that movie... Professor Emelius Brown's Correspondence College of Witchcraft... I guess during the war, they closed Hogwarts?
  • edited February 2016
    Even football players love Harry Potter. Mike Evans of the Tampa Bay Bucs groom cake is a sight to behold. 

• Even football players love Harry Potter. Mike Evans of the Tampa Bay Bucs groom cake is a sight to behold. 

OMG STOP I WANT IT SO BAD
  • Even football players love Harry Potter. Mike Evans of the Tampa Bay Bucs groom cake is a sight to behold. 

Ha, I saw that last night!  (Just as well because I can't see your picture!)  Let me see if I can find one that might show up for me/others with my browser issues...

• I would not allow anyone to eat that.  Just gorgeous!

Ha, I saw that last night!  (Just as well because I can't see your picture!)  Let me see if I can find one that might show up for me/others with my browser issues...

That's fantastic.  
  • Well hell, I'm stuck with slimy Slytherin on top of my house.

Seriously, that cake is amazing. I wish we had a close up on Hedwig.
  • Yea, I don't do the inserting of pictures because I never got the hang of it...so sometimes I just post the link or make a comment. So thanks @carlatheviking for including it! 
  • @gemfemme hey now, THIS Slytherin showers regularly! :p

@travelingdesign - de nada!  I love things like this, posting a picture is an easy way to spread around a little happiness :)
  • @gemfemme hey now, THIS Slytherin showers regularly! :p

@travelingdesign - de nada!  I love things like this, posting a picture is an easy way to spread around a little happiness :)

You're a better class of Slytherin my dear!
  • I also love that @firebirdsinger and I are up at the top, closest to Hedwig :-)
  • That is pretty darn spectacular. 
  • Gemfemme said:
    @gemfemme hey now, THIS Slytherin showers regularly! :p

You're a better class of Slytherin my dear!
    Yeah, my "any means to achieving my ends" meant I'm suffering through grad school!!!  Joke's on me...lol
  • My daughter is Slytherin. I guess when a Ravenclaw and a Hufflepuff mate they produce a Slytherin?
  • Not really book-related but just saw the following headline on the news channel and thought it was awesome:

"Actress Emma Watson to take year off acting to focus on personal development and feminist studies."

Truly one of a kind amongst her peers, can't think of anyone else who would want to take time away to focus on something other than having people look at them.
  • Anna_P said:
    Not really book-related but just saw the following headline on the news channel and thought it was awesome: "Actress Emma Watson to take year off acting to focus on personal development and feminist studies." Truly one of a kind amongst her peers, can't think of anyone else who would want to take time away to focus on something other than having people look at them.
    I remember seeing that when she was in her late teens, her parents marched her into Coutt's (very posh bank) and made her do a course on managing wealth. I can't think of many of her peers who have that kind of rock-solid common sense behind them.
  • Very true! I remember reading as well that her parents didn't tell her how much money she had or how much she was worth until she was quite a bit older. Probably around the time they made her do the wealth management course! Really makes you wonder how Lindsay Lohan would've turned out and what she'd be like today if she had that kind of a support system instead. 
  • Anna_P said:
    Very true! I remember reading as well that her parents didn't tell her how much money she had or how much she was worth until she was quite a bit older. Probably around the time they made her do the wealth management course! Really makes you wonder how Lindsay Lohan would've turned out and what she'd be like today if she had that kind of a support system instead. 
    I seem to remember her saying in an interview once that her parents struggled to afford to send her to a really good private school, and that's why she values her education so much; I'm thrilled she's got the support she does to become a really positive force in society.

I'm also still in mourning about Lindsay.  I was rooting for her!
  • I bought the illustrated version of Sorcerer's Stone and it's wonderful. The pictures are so whimsical; it's like a whole new HP experience. I can't wait for the rest of the series.
  • allie07 said:
    I bought the illustrated version of Sorcerer's Stone and it's wonderful. The pictures are so whimsical; it's like a whole new HP experience. I can't wait for the rest of the series.

Ahhhh it's gorgeous isn't it?!? I got it for Christmas from my in-laws I'm SO EXCITED for the rest!!
  • @JealousOfBelle  It is!! Jim Kay did an amazing job and his interview on Pottermore shows how much thought and detail he puts into his work. Can't wait to see how he interprets the iconic scenes and characters like Sirius, Remus, Tonks.

And, holy cow, the GOF and OOTP ones are gonna be so huge! 
  • @allie07 as though I don't have enough book storage problems
  • Stumbled across this buzzfeed list this morning -  http://www.buzzfeed.com/farrahpenn/wedding-dresses-every-harry-potter-obsessed-bride-will-lo?bffbmain&utm_term=.jeyoJkOW6#.lp4JyDnKO 
    - and fell in LOVE with the first dress on the list.

I need to find a husband IMMEDIATELY so I can wear this dress at our wedding:

• But I don't look good in yellow!!! Boo!! God every one of those dresses is beautiful though