A good cup of coffee

I have a love hate relationship with coffee. I love it but hate when I have to coast on it. I usually have it black and tepid but love it best with cream and sugar. ( I cut out cream/ milk and sugar from my coffee because I have so many cups a day. It helped me drop 3-4 pounds in a year with absolutely no other change). What's your coffee routine like? What's the best brand for coffee and the best coffee shops in your part of the world?

Comments

• 2 large cups of strong cafetiere coffee a day, skim milk and 1/2tsp muscovado sugar. A 3rd cup in the afternoon if I need to be out and functional past 9pm.
  • Monday-Thursday, I brew a cup at home with cream, no sugar. If I feel like sweetening it, I'll use some stevia, but usually not. I prefer a dark roast and I sip it while I get ready and carry some in a travel cup for my commute to work. I stick to tea the rest of the day. On Fridays, I usually like to get an Americano with cream and 1 pump of hazelnut. And then on the weekends after a long run, I'll treat myself to a latte and then I'll make another pot to go with brunch when I get home. 

My favourite local coffee shops in Toronto are Dark Horse Coffee and Crema Coffee. 
  • On days I am in the office (typically Monday thru Friday), I drink the rotgut they provide for free, black, in a giant cup (it's about 3 cups, I think). On the weekends I make a pot of dahlmeyer or gevalia--or anything I have if I don't have those, in one of those 4-cup pots. Which is about 1.5 of my big-ass cup, with milk. Because it's the weekend. And I'm drinking it and paying attention; at work I drink it thoughtlessly while working, so I don't need it to taste nice--I just need it to bite back a little and wake me up.
  • I am a coffee fiend - my husband bought me a kick-ass coffeemaker that is almost like an Italian style coffeemaker that swirls the grounds and makes any coffee good. Then he bought me a coffee grinder and my life has changed forever. 

During the week I make a pot and put it in a travel mug for myself and my husband. I take my coffee with 2 sugars and 3 creams. Usually I use the flavored creamers from international delight - depending on my mood depends on what kind of creamers we get for the week. this week its caramel. On the weekend, I make a pot and I mostly drink it in the morning while the husband sleeps in. The husband also knows better than to talk to me before I've had coffee. (I'm totally that person)
  • I just used the Christmas present from my nephew this morning.  Two pounds of Wolfgang Puck's Chef's Reserve medium roast. It's smooth, well rounded and not acidic.  I take my coffee with milk/cream, no sugar.  Every morning I make an eight cup pot and drink it over two hours while catching up with world news and of course, The Kittens.

Now, a question for those who can compare: WaWa or Dunkin Donuts coffee?

I prefer WaWa.  To me there's a very acidic bite to the Dunkin Donuts coffee that I really dislike.
  • I hate coffee and never drink it if I can help it.  I brought home nearly fifteen pounds of the stuff - mostly in bean form - from Ethiopia and gave away every last bit as presents (everyone else was thrilled!) and have only had coffee once since, in Croatia, where members of my team ordered a cup for me and ordered me to drink it.

It was lovely coffee but it still tasted like COFFEE.
  • I love coffee. I make a latte at home every morning before work with either coconut milk or homemade almond milk. For regular coffee, I like a bit of almond milk (or cream, if I'm buying one elsewhere and they don't have almond or coconut milk) in a dark roast. No sweeteners. I like the taste of good coffee.
  • Uh, @CarlaTheViking I will gladly take any coffee in bean form you manage to get your hands on and don't want. ;)

Just saying, In case you ever have that happen again. :)
  • I rarely drink any regular coffee but am a fan of Starbucks Caramel Macchiato, with extra caramel, decaf, made with soy milk. I can't stand the coffee my husband makes at home, no matter the brand, it just tastes and smells nasty to me, don't know if it's the water, the brewing, the old pot, Mr Coffee, which I think the plastic parts retains oils and makes it taste rancid, no matter how well cleaned, which isn't often anyway. However I can recognize a really good cuppa, which I have on occasion at a fine restaurant. I still have to doctor it with sugar and cream though.

@SarahBeth Husband does want a new coffee pot, we briefly considered the pod types, especially if you can use your own coffee, but it's too much trouble since he and my son drink a couple of pots a day. I would be fine with that. So my question is, what is the exact brand and model you got for Christmas that you like so much?
  • @QitKat I've actually had the coffeemaker for about a year or so, I just got the grinder for Christmas. The coffemaker is a Remington iCoffee; it's programmable (which is huge for me, I am not functional in the morning without coffee and its a HUGE help during the week) and you just put the grounds right into the basket and it's its own filter. And its SUPER easy to clean and can go onto the top shelf of the dishwasher (I try to run them once a week through the dishwasher) It seriously can make shitty coffee taste fantastic (we've had some shitty coffee in there and you'd never know). The coffee I make at home has spoiled me forever from getting coffee out. (i still do of course sometimes, but I prefer my own).

It's about $100 but its well worth it in my opinion. You can get it at Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Amazon, etc. Oh and it shuts itself off after 2 hours so no more of that oh shit, did I turn off the coffeemaker when I leave the house thing.

I got a Mr Coffee grinder for Christmas and it's working pretty well so far - I have no complaints and my life has changed for the better now that we use whole bean coffee. 

Sorry, that was kind of a long post! But seriously - life changing.
  • SarahBeth said:
    Uh, @CarlaTheViking I will gladly take any coffee in bean form you manage to get your hands on and don't want. ;)

Ha!  Will gladly hand it over to you!  Don't think I'll be in Africa anytime soon, but hoping for Italy this summer.  Do the Italians do good coffee?
  • @SarahBeth Thanks! We'll look for that one. And we agree, grinding your own beans does make a difference.
  • SarahBeth said:
    Uh, @CarlaTheViking I will gladly take any coffee in bean form you manage to get your hands on and don't want. ;)

Ha!  Will gladly hand it over to you!  Don't think I'll be in Africa anytime soon, but hoping for Italy this summer.  Do the Italians do good coffee?
    The Italians do amazing coffee. I'm happy to drink espresso in Italy - anywhere else I will always add milk.
  • I love coffee. I would drink it everyday all day if I could. I don't though, since it triggers my insomnia and I hate being coffee dependent. I like Starbucks as much as I like Dunkin Donuts and Wawa will do as well. &-11 taste like old shes though, so not a fan. I don't buy the drinks that are more syrup than coffee. I will do an espresso or regular. If I'm feeling fancy I may buy a mocha. I also have a Keruig and a coffee press. I like the Hawaiin Kona and Jamaica Blue Mountain. I have a coffee grinder for when I get really nice blends. I prefer with cream and sugar, but half & half will do. I do not like bullet proof coffee AT ALL. I allow myself no more than one cup a day. If I make it at home I will use vanilla flavored protein powder instead of cream since  am trying to lose weight. Every 2 or 3 days I skip my coffee and drink herbal tea instead. I can't deal with the headaches that come from caffeine addiction  so I break it up so that I don't develop a need to have coffee every day.
  • I have 1 12 oz. mug of coffee a day, first thing. Anymore than that, it makes my nerves and head spin and I literally fall down! My personal shopper (haha)/partner likes to mix his secret blend of beans from the organic bulk beans at the local hippie collective foodstore. Mostly dark roast, he likes the ones that say 'hint of chocolate'. I grind up a couple of grinders, a week's worth, in my faithful 20 year old Braun grinder, so it's kinda freshly ground and one step less to do before my mind is on ( I once read a funny article about making stupid mistakes making coffee because the author needed a cup of coffee before he was awake enough to make coffee!).

I use a french press, which I love. It's very simple and basic, always clean. Measure out my 12 oz. mug of water, almost boil that while cleaning out yesterday's grounds, put 2 heaping scoops of coffee in the press, pour water, cover and steep 4-5 minutes, then press and pour (there's always a little 'Turkish' sludge left undrunk in the bottom of the cup). Then I add a tiny bit of water to it, to cool it down and dilute it a little. That last step used to make my boss' father roll his eyes, sigh and question my thinking (wonderful Italian philosophy professor), why not just make it perfect to begin with?

But that's MY way to make it perfect! 

• swinkle said:

( I once read a funny article about making stupid mistakes making coffee because the author needed a cup of coffee before he was awake enough to make coffee!).

I've stood in the kitchen, holding an empty pot over my cup and wondering why there was no coffee pouring. Pre-coffee is the worst time to be trying complex tasks like that!
  • My current favorite coffee is espresso ground Cafe Bustelo.  It's dark and thick and I love it.  It really has ruined regular brew coffee for me.  I grew up in a Maxwell House family, but it feels so light compared to the espresso ground. 

I have a Keurig, but I am realizing now that I drink so much coffee, I may go back to a regular coffee maker sooner than later.  I use the re-useable pods...because waste and I think it's a waste of money to buy them, even on sale. 

If I had the patience to wait for my coffee I would drink a French Press every day. 
  • I love coffee but I don't drink it every day. My mom and sister get intesne caffeine withdrawl headaches if they don't have their morning cup and I've always worried that will happen to me. Sometimes, I'll have a little in the morning and I routinely will take a cup in the afternoon post-lunch but I usually only drink about half of it. Like @GrumpyGirl on weekedays I drink the mediocre coffee in the office becasue it's there and free. I use milk, skim if I can get it but the office has 2% and many times at home I only have almond milk so I'll use that. 
    My favorite type of coffee is probably Spanish cafe con leche which is basically espresso with froathy whole milk and it's delicious. When I lived there I would drink coffee way more often because it's a. more delicious and b. part of the culture to take the morning and afternoon coffee breaks. 

@TravelingDesign Cafe Bustelo! Love it! When I was in Miami I had cuban coffee everyday. It's amazing and I love it. 

I guess all that to say I prefer espresso based strong coffees that aren't bitter. 
  • @TravelingDesign are you using the Bustelo pods? If you go back to a normal coffee maker I use a cafetera- I'm not sure if that's their proper name or their name in Spanish (http://www.orizzontecaffe.com/empresa/images/cafetera_italiana1.jpg)  for the espresso based coffees. I actually just bought a new one and in the coffee aisle at ShopRite the cafetera was $15 and in the Goya/Latino area they had the same type of cafetera for $8. Guess you just have to know where to look! 
  • Oh my God; Cuban coffee is the best. Our office in Miami had a lady who gave it out every afternoon, and that is among my fondest coffee memories ever. Someday I will find a source here in Richmond, but I doubt my budget can support that habit anyhow . . .
  • Oh my God; Cuban coffee is the best. Our office in Miami had a lady who gave it out every afternoon, and that is among my fondest coffee memories ever. Someday I will find a source here in Richmond, but I doubt my budget can support that habit anyhow . . .
    I don't even like coffee and when I was in Miami a couple of years ago we went on a food walking tour of South Beach (which was fabulous, btw) one of the best parts was the cuban coffee!
  • I drink 1-2 cups per day, mostly black. Occasionally some cream. I've been using a plastic cone filter holder to make coffee since I was a teenager, and that's what I still use. I tried a Kuerig but the coffee tasted awful and it broke after less than a year.
  • edited January 2016
    I've always preferred my warm beverages on the 'dangerously sweet' side but when I switched from kid-coffee (1/2 cup coffee, 1/2 cocoa + splash of milk) to my adult version, I settled on 4 spoonfuls of sugar (I get terrible cotton candy aftertaste from stevia and splenda makes me kinda weirdly nauseous) and a splash of heavy cream and, depending on the blend, a sprinkling of cinnamon. 

I only drink one cup a day and then it's usually water for the rest, but omg... I drink it with full knowledge and decadent understanding that I'm basically waking up to a cake in a cup and have literally no sorry's to give. 

Weirdly, I can't stomach any sweet food in the a.m., but coffee is perfect and I'm fairly horrific without it.

Mr. Cricket makes it every morning in his particular, kind of over-dramatic way, despite the fact that he hates coffee himself. He bought (himself) a big kettle to boil the water and a french press because he decided it probably tastes better than a coffee maker and is 'more fun'. I only really mind this when I get up first and have to sit waiting for the stupid 400-gallon kettle of doom to heat up enough. He's pretty into it, though, for a dude who's never had a cup. 
    I clearly need to get my hands on some Cuban coffee.....

How do I find this.
  • I'm a frothy milky chocolate coffee gal myself. I made it ali the way through university and my first nursing job as a non-coffee drinker then had a friend who introduced me to the joy of the FMCC and I've never looked back. When Peets used to identify them this way my drink was the Doppio Alto Mocha, much more romantic than the large mocha that I order now. Peets is my coffee of choice and I enjoy going to the original store in Berkeley.
  • I don't like or drink coffee, but I am part owner of a coffee company.
  • @leandra  I had one of those! I gave it to a friend b/c she loved it so much.  I need to find another one.  I don't use the Cafe Bustelo pods, I just use my re-usable pods.  

I have a Nespresso maker, I would probably drink espresso over coffee everyday...but again, the pods are wasteful and I'm trying to be more cautious about my waste.  And I'm definitely not going down the route of buying a true espresso machine.....  I have 4 sleeves of pods, and I drink one every couple of days as a treat, or when I need to get jacked and crank out a lot of work ;)  My best friend and I had espresso in Rome and it was just one of the best treats of my life.  
  • Coffee!!  I have been traveling in Brazil and Mexico for the last 10 days.  Plenty of good coffee to be had here. BUT the way I like my coffee very best is immediately upon waking. Sleepy eyed, still in pjs, in a quiet house with every one else still snoozing.... And that is what I am missing almost as much as the family. I need that. Headed home tomorrow at last and Friday morning I'm going to have such a coffee throw down at home!!
  • SarahBeth said:
    Oh my God; Cuban coffee is the best. Our office in Miami had a lady who gave it out every afternoon, and that is among my fondest coffee memories ever. Someday I will find a source here in Richmond, but I doubt my budget can support that habit anyhow . . .
    I clearly need to get my hands on some Cuban coffee.....

How do I find this.
    The best way is to get to Miami haha But actually, if there's a Cuban restaurant in your area, I'm sure they have it. 

The trick (I believe) is when the coffee starts to percolate you take a little bit of the coffee and sugar and whisk it around really fast in a tin cup to dissolve the sugar and make some froth. then when the rest of the coffee is done you pour it in. I haven't tried to make it personally yet but I watch others when I'm around them. 
  • We use an electric percolator. Eight O'Clock Original Blend beans I grind myself. I drink a cup in the morning and one around 3:00PM. Black, no sugar. It has to be HOT, though. I often microwave the cup several times as I'm drinking it. I've searched forever for a thermal mug that will keep it at the temperature I require. I don't think one exists that will suit me.