Furniture

Hey all! I thought this would be a good idea for it's own thread instead of the Open Chat...

Post pics of pieces you've bought and loved, pieces you pine and long for, or just inspirations and ideas...

Here is the new-old set from my in-laws... There's a bureau with doors that open to three shallow drawers, there's a bureau with a mirror, and those are both in our room. There's also a vanity, and that's in "Murray's" room. The bed on the left of the picture is closest to the window, and that's his new favorite spot, because i think it gets the most direct sunlight. Anyway, the vanity shows the lovely veneer best.

Comments

• Oh my gosh, those are so so beautiful. How great of your in-laws to have held onto them and to share them with you! 
  • I definitely agree the vanity is the prettiest.
  • Ah, I love the vanity too!  That tri-fold mirror, and the little bench...  (Lucky Murray, lol.)

Frankly, @AlisonHendryx, when you wrote earlier about an old bedroom set with whiffy drawers, I wondered if you were truly happy with it, or simply being polite to your in-laws. ;)   But this wood is beautiful and the set looks in great condition!  It really is a lovely gift.
  • edited February 2016
    Ah, I love the vanity too!  That tri-fold mirror, and the little bench...  (Lucky Murray, lol.)

Frankly, @AlisonHendryx, when you wrote earlier about an old bedroom set with whiffy drawers, I wondered if you were truly happy with it, or simply being polite to your in-laws. ;)   But this wood is beautiful and the set looks in great condition!  It really is a lovely gift.

Oh, @WinterWhite the Perceptive. I do love the set. But old furniture is, well, old. The drawers are still a little...musty but much better now. The tri-fold mirror is attached with sweat, tears, swears and hope. I'm terrfied of actually folding it! And I've hidden the bench because it needs recanting or reupholstering or re-anything ing. But the set is beautiful to look at and its Our First Set so I think it will always have a special place in my heart. But you sure pick up the subtle tone!
  • @AlisonHendryx   Wish it was summer – as @Zoeg was saying recently, a couple of days outside in sunlight (and low humidity) would be the best thing for those drawers.  But you'd probably rather not keep all your clothes in piles on the floor beside the empty bureaus...for months...just guessing here. ;)

I know what you mean, but those pieces don’t read as “old.”  They are classic.  I'm so glad you do love them!
  • edited February 2016
    I agree with everyone on how nice this furniture is. The finish of the vanity in the close-up is beautiful. And it does look classic thanks to the clean lines...it should fit in nicely with any new additions you purchase. You lucked out here, with your lovely new-old set!
  • @AlisonHendrix,  I'll echo what everyone else has said. Those pieces are lovely!  And that vanity!  It's in better shape than my dressing table which needs some repair to the veneer on the top, some general cleaning, and the bench top needs work, too.  It's an heirloom though from my mother's parents and I love it.  An antique dresser set would look beautiful on your vanity.  I would say that you could feel like Lady Mary then, but I'd rather you feel like Lady Edith or the Dowager Countess or Cora.  Lady Mary is too much of a bitch and Lady Sybil is dead.
  • HA! @Munchkn you are hilarious!
  • edited February 2016
    Funny that this is a new thread because I have been thinking about furniture a lot lately. Back in my old life, I had this couch. It was the most expensive piece of furniture I have ever bought (even to date) and it is now 16 years old and falling apart. It is a bright red (sort of light cranberry) slipcovered sofa with downwrapped cushions. Basically it is the Pottery Barn sofa but I got it at a big furniture place in New England (Cardi's!) and they said that the company that makes the PB sofa also made this one. 

And this sofa was so perfect in my perfect little victorian house with the HUGE country kitchen and persimmon dining room, and avocado living room, with the plate rail we built around the living room...I miss my old life so much. 

Anyway, I had to sell that house and was homeless for a little while and so broken, but I've always dragged this incredibly awesome sofa around with me. 

And for whatever reason, I let Mr. Mothra have it in his disgusting mancave and now it is full on ruined. And I have been looking everywhere for another sofa like it (doesn't have to be red, but I would get the exact same sofa again if I could find it)  I did find one very similar at Cardi's when I was up visiting my family in October, but I haven't been able to find one down here in the DC metro area, except for at Pottery Barn (and it is 3x the cost of the one at Cardi's) So now of course I am obsessed with finding this damn sofa.  I know I should let go of the past, but that sofa is so comfortable, and the one I have now is hard as  a rock (it is a sleeper and I don't know what I was thinking of because we have THREE guest rooms and who would sleep in the living room anyway, covered in cats and there are no doors?!)

Anyway, I love that vanity. It is beautiful. The finish is spectacular and I don't understand how people are able to keep their bedrooms so neat and tidy! 

• edited February 2016
    @MothraVA your sofa is almost exactly like my much mourned living room sofa (RIP). Mine was from ZGallery, purchased in 1994 with money people had given us as wedding gifts. It was sage green brocade. I think the arms were a touch higher than on yours. It was the most perfect, comfortable piece of furniture I have ever owned and it finally died because my children used to jump on it and use the arms to push off. They actually broke the frame (just like your mother alwasy warns you will happen but never actually does) and we had to let it go. I would love to find one just like it and I have been searching for years (I didn't know Pottery Barn might have it; I won't buy anything from them becuase everything I have every gotten from them has fallen apart). So I will join in your search for this sofa. Everyone I live with is tired of hearing me say every single night "This is the most uncomfortable couch in the world!"
  • I don't even hang out in the living room because I hate the couch in there so much. The living room is basically the cats' and dog's room now. BUT, if I had that down wrapped cushion and slipcovered sofa (that was the best part--i could wash the slipcovers and hang them to dry!) again, I would be down there all the time!!! 
  • MothraVA said:
    I don't even hang out in the living room because I hate the couch in there so much. The living room is basically the cats' and dog's room now. BUT, if I had that down wrapped cushion and slipcovered sofa (that was the best part--i could wash the slipcovers and hang them to dry!) again, I would be down there all the time!!! 

@mothrava first of that room only looks neat because of strategic framing. There are suitcases and paint cans and piles of guest towels just of of the frame. Secondly have you thought about ikea? They have a slipcover collection that people rave about because of the wash ability. I can't attest to the comfort or quality of the sofas but I think ikea gets a bum rap. We have a tv stand from there that has stood up quite well to three moved so far.
  • @alisonHendryx I have thought about IKEA but i feel the sofa is too low. It is a weird thing but I have really really long legs and couches that are too short are uncomfortable. It actually is pretty nice sofa but it is not perfect.  We might get Mr. Mothra a love seat from there for his hovel down cellar. 
  • @firebirdsinger I don't know if this is something you'd be interested in, but we bought our bed and a dresser at a raw wood place and stained them ourselves. Our furniture is beautiful and we saved a ton of money on it. Just took a bit of elbow grease to accomplish it. I also bought two basic Ikea pine nightstands, stained them to match and painted the drawer fronts white. Everything is solid wood and exactly what we wanted.
  • @MothraVA
    It's funny that you and others are mourning the demise or loss of a favorite sofa. I too had a favorite sofa once, bought from a nice furniture store early in our marriage, a long time ago. It was the first big purchase we made, a little pricey, but beautiful, and the best ever for napping and lounging. But the fabric was a cotton sateen, with a lively but tasteful floral print on a sage green background, and it was not destined to stand up over time. We moved it a couple of times, and it just got more frayed and sad looking. Finally I got rid of it and have regretted it ever since. I mentioned it just the other day to Mr Q, wondering why I didn't think to get it recovered. Which is what I suggest to you with your favorite red sofa. Trust me, you will never find another one that lives up to it. (Our current 2 sofas, one leather, one a very nice sectional, don't even come close in comfort to that old sofa, even though they look very nice.)

And if I could I'd give you my love seat in the basement that is in my hubs man cave. It's low and soft, and the cat loves it. I hate it. And just remember only one person can it sit comfortably on a love seat and no one but the cat can stretch out!
  • I think I've mentioned the witchcraft of our sofas - husbeast bought them 16 years ago and there is not a cat claw mark on them anywhere, even though she sharpens her toes on them every day.
  • I inherited my parent's old beloved sofa that they bought back in 1999.  It's nice and long (an anomally for us tall folks) and when my friends stay over at least one of them prefers to sleep on it.  The cushions have kept their shape after all these years.  It does have a cuh-razy upholstery print that is now covered with SureFit slipcovers.  I plan on keeping it until the end of time. 
  • stumbled on this last night while looking for bedside tables and just think it would be SO fun to put in a kids room... So much imagination!

https://www.opensky.com/greatdealfurniture/product/leo-multicolor-wood-chest-of-drawers-cabinet-dresser?cacheBuster=1457391093

• That is lovely!
  • I adore quirky furniture like that. I especially like that cute drawer with the "ear".
  • I love that!
  • I just started furniture shopping for our new house in Chattanooga. We had to sell almost everything in Illinois because we couldn't afford to move it. Which means of course that we have very little money to spend on new stuff.

I'm looking at Ashley and Wayfair. Any other suggestions for nice inexpensive stuff?
  • Goodwill is *occasionally* very exciting.  I have friends who have found lovely pieces at Goodwill and other thrift stores.  Most of my furniture is from IKEA, Big Lots, and hippie Christmas'ing. 
  • @Beth, one place we've found AMAZING stuff, is when some of the local retirement homes/communities have sales. Many of them have a standard "Country Store" or "Community Store" sale day each month, and they are selling nice stuff at good prices as (1) people move into the communities and realize they brought too much stuff; (2) people downsize within the communities and sell off that extra credenza, couch, etc; (3) people go to their eternal reward and their earthly possessions are no longer needed--or necessarily wanted at this point by family. We have 3 larger communities with this setup in Richmond VA (and those are the ones of which I am aware), and since the profits all go back to the churches that ostensibly "sponsor" the communities, the prices are usually good. They are not really publicized, outside the churches and communities, but they are open to the public. It's worth a call to find out if some of the big places have this.
  • I have found cool stuff at World Market. When you get it on sale you can sometimes get a huge deal.

Also, @allisonhendrix, I love that bedroom set. The Vanity is gorgeous! 
  • Good suggestions. I just joined a bunch of local online garage sale groups on FB. That's how I got rid of all our good stuff so I hope the karma returns to me ! LOL It is church sale season so I'll start watching for those too. I'm planning to slow roll the furnishing of this place so we can pay cash when possible when husband's bonuses come in. Now that we don't have so save every extra penny to pay our IL property taxes! @SarahBeth we had a lot of World Market stuff before, cheap but decent quality. I'll have to find one near me. 

• MothraVA said:
    Funny that this is a new thread because I have been thinking about furniture a lot lately. Back in my old life, I had this couch. It was the most expensive piece of furniture I have ever bought (even to date) and it is now 16 years old and falling apart. It is a bright red (sort of light cranberry) slipcovered sofa with downwrapped cushions. Basically it is the Pottery Barn sofa but I got it at a big furniture place in New England (Cardi's!) and they said that the company that makes the PB sofa also made this one. 

And this sofa was so perfect in my perfect little victorian house with the HUGE country kitchen and persimmon dining room, and avocado living room, with the plate rail we built around the living room...I miss my old life so much. 

Anyway, I had to sell that house and was homeless for a little while and so broken, but I've always dragged this incredibly awesome sofa around with me. 

And for whatever reason, I let Mr. Mothra have it in his disgusting mancave and now it is full on ruined. And I have been looking everywhere for another sofa like it (doesn't have to be red, but I would get the exact same sofa again if I could find it)  I did find one very similar at Cardi's when I was up visiting my family in October, but I haven't been able to find one down here in the DC metro area, except for at Pottery Barn (and it is 3x the cost of the one at Cardi's) So now of course I am obsessed with finding this damn sofa.  I know I should let go of the past, but that sofa is so comfortable, and the one I have now is hard as  a rock (it is a sleeper and I don't know what I was thinking of because we have THREE guest rooms and who would sleep in the living room anyway, covered in cats and there are no doors?!)

Anyway, I love that vanity. It is beautiful. The finish is spectacular and I don't understand how people are able to keep their bedrooms so neat and tidy! 

@MothraVA I love that sofa! I remember when it was in the PB catalog and I lusted after it too. We had a similar sectional from IKEA with a red slipcover. Unfortunately it wasn't very comfortable but looked cool in our basement family room. 
  • Basically ANY Karma Living Peacock Chair. I can't get a picture to show up, but if you google it you won't be sorry.
  • Basically ANY Karma Living Peacock Chair. I can't get a picture to show up, but if you google it you won't be sorry.
    OMG! Those are amazing! 
  • Beth said:

@MothraVA I love that sofa! I remember when it was in the PB catalog and I lusted after it too. We had a similar sectional from IKEA with a red slipcover. Unfortunately it wasn't very comfortable but looked cool in our basement family room. 
    Yeah, the Ikea one just isn't as good. I am saving my $$ to get the PB sofa again. SaveSave