Kindle Unlimited

Loading up the Kindle for my trip, and thought I'd do a trial subscription for Kindle Unlimited.

Any other KU subscribers out there?  Looking for recommendations.  I tend to read more nonfiction, but will happily delve into some fiction.

Comments

• I found it a complete waste of time. I went through my extensive Goodreads "want to read" list and not a single one of those books was available, and only a couple of the authors I want to read were there, represented by a couple of magazine articles and definitely lesser works. It's also pretty hard to browse. 
  • I use Bookbuds....have found a few gems on there (however, the first book in a series is free, and the last is $9.99 I find a bit rediculous (in one case the paperback was cheaper?)
  • Thanks for the comments, guys.  I won't subscribe when the trial runs out.  I'll just download a few guidebooks and some classics.  That should be enough for me.  I should probably pack at least one actual book in case wifi fails me at some hotel.
  • Why would you need wifi if you've downloaded the books? But your Amazon account *might* not let you buy new stuff when you are out of the US.
  • edited February 2016
    You can buy stuff on Amazon for your Kindle when you are not in the US. I bought a few things (and some guidebooks) when we were in Italy a couple of summers ago with no problem. I usually keep about 20 books downloaded to my kindle and also to the kindle app on my phone because of my pathological fear or running out of reading material!

And I agree with Alicia's assessment of Kindle unlimited. I have never found anything I want to read on it.
  • KarenFK said:
    You can buy stuff on Amazon for your Kindle when you are not in the US. 
    Oh good! I was basing it on my MIL not being able to buy stuff on her Kindle in S.A, because it was bought in Australia.
  • Why would you need wifi if you've downloaded the books? But your Amazon account *might* not let you buy new stuff when you are out of the US.
    Recently bought my first Kindle and keep forgetting I don't need to use wifi to retrieve the books.

I looked through the KU titles and you guys are right - there isn't much there.  It's like a record store where the bad albums are all free.
  • I 'buy' (free) books (recommended on Bookbud (free) that ride by the Starbucks (or McDonalds) and use their free wifi to d/l things...(no wifi @ home)
  • KarenFK said:
    You can buy stuff on Amazon for your Kindle when you are not in the US.
    If you have a Wifi + 3G Kindle, just make sure you're using the Wifi.   They don't charge with Wifi, but for international buys, they will charge if you're on the 3G network.
  • I didn't renew my subscription once it ran out. I found that most of what I wanted to read wasn't on there, and I found myself reading a lot of things I wasn't all *that* interested in, just to feel like I wasn't wasting my husband's money. (I got the subscription as a gift.) In retrospect, I kinda wish I had just gone on reading what I wanted to read!

Good to know @Lilithcat!
  • PS @GinnyThePainter, you may find this thread useful to make the most of your free month.