Trying New Things

Let's talk about things we're trying for the first time!

This weekend MR. H and I went to the Super Duper Fancy Grocer in the rich suburbs... Free coffee samples to sip, free fruit to taste... lots of wooden crates. ANYway.

We bought a Sumo Tangerine and just had it tonight for dessert.

It's really crazy looking. About the size of a softball.
It was super easy to peel, and the sections just fell apart from each other, pretty much. Something about the smell reminded me of childhood. It smelled a little like orange slice candies, or orange soda.
In other words...

It was AMAZING. I wish I had a sumo tangerine tree in my backyard that never went out of season.

What have you tried lately?

Comments

• Also a citrus - I tried bergamot a couple of weeks ago! I don't like Earl Grey tea, but I loved the fragrance in the actual fruit.
  • @foodycatalicia, did it look like this one I found on google? I had no idea this was a part of the flavor of Earl Grey!

• Less bumpy, and more yellow. Like this one
  • Less bumpy, and more yellow. Like this one

Looks like summer objectified.
  • And yet - they are a winter crop! Although it might be different in the US. But for us, the best/most interesting citrus (nice sour Seville oranges, blood oranges, bergamots) are all in season in January and *maybe* February and then they disappear.

• These are one of my other new discoveries
    called flower sprouts or kalettes, they are a hybrid of kale and brussels sprouts and nicer than either of them.
  • And yet - they are a winter crop! Although it might be different in the US. But for us, the best/most interesting citrus (nice sour Seville oranges, blood oranges, bergamots) are all in season in January and *maybe* February and then they disappear.

We have some citrus that are available around Christmas and in the winter that go away. Tangelos particularly. Sadly for medical reasons citrus is off my menu which makes me so sad.
  • Blood oranges peak in January here... I guess our best citrus is in the winter too, and the correlation with summer = citrus is just in my mind!

Kalettes look interesting, and if they are better than brussel sprouts they must be AMAZEBALLS. What do you do with them?
  • Blood oranges peak in January here... I guess our best citrus is in the winter too, and the correlation with summer = citrus is just in my mind!

Kalettes look interesting, and if they are better than brussel sprouts they must be AMAZEBALLS. What do you do with them?
    Mostly treat them like brussels sprouts but they cook in about 2 minutes. Boil or steam, toss with a little butter and black pepper.
  • I've been obsessed with sticky toffee cheese all week, been having some for breakfast nearly every day.

On the not-so-keen on side of things: dandelion kimchi. I like regular kimchi, but the dandelion was weird.
  • Sticky toffee cheese?! I've never seen that!
  • I'm sure there are others, but this is the kind I tried: sticky toffee cheese

Great as a dessert cheese, but I've been having it with some warmed up brioche for breakfast. 
  • These are one of my other new discoveries
    called flower sprouts or kalettes, they are a hybrid of kale and brussels sprouts and nicer than either of them.

Those look beautiful! I am not a super fan of either sprouts or kale, but I would definitely give these a try.
  • edited March 2016
    Qitkat said:
    These are one of my other new discoveries

Those look beautiful! I am not a super fan of either sprouts or kale, but I would definitely give these a try.

I like both the 'parents' I reckon I'd like the 'kids'. I've never seen them around these parts. They look gorgeous.
  • I don't like new things. But I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. Carry on! :)
  • edited March 2016
    These are one of my other new discoveries
    These are adorable. 
    I would love to find them and try. 

@Anna_P I have to try and find that. 

My latest new favorites are Monkfish and Skate CHEEKS.  
    Yes the cheeks of the fish.  My fish monger has had them on sale.  they are tender, delicious and not expensive since they are usually discarded.  Skate Cheeks can be used the same way as scallops, and Monkfish Cheeks taste similar to lobster.  
  • I've had cod cheeks - such tasty little morsels.
  • They are soo good. 
    Love them, and will buy them when they are available. 
  • @Stephie1020 this promises to be revolutionary information for me!
  • AlisonHendryx What I also love about them is that they are very affordably priced for fish. 
  • edited March 2016
    I will have to look for these cod, monkfish and skate cheeks. Are they super tender similar to that piece of the chicken that is hidden by the backbone? We don't have a fish monger that I know of, maybe Whole Foods would carry them?

Realized that of course Denver would have to have some specialty seafood markets, they have Asian and Hispanic. But I couldn't find much specific info on the Internet, found a couple of places to call and ask, website under construction for one, that says it's been in business over 40 years. Doesn't bode well if there is no website working.
  • @Qitkat yes - I think comparing them to chicken oysters is very apt!
  • I tried Berlin Curry Sausage in Berlin, which sounded like it would be disgusting but really was delicious. I also ate Marlin, which was just amazing.
  • Oh, and I'm getting a Shamrock Shake today. After all these years I'm going in!
  • Oh, and I'm getting a Shamrock Shake today. After all these years I'm going in!
    I found them to be an overrated experience.  A friend raved and raved about how good it is...and I get it like...well...it's just a shake...? Maybe I should try again and lower my expectations. 
  • @firebirdsinger  You add Pimento Cheese on cheap white bread to that list and you can receive your Certificate of Authenticity. 
  • I love it.  My friend from Boston loathes it.  And nothing is more enjoyable than listening to her rant about that one time we made her tried "fhried green tamahtahs and pahmentah cheeeese". 
    I found them to be an overrated experience.  A friend raved and raved about how good it is...and I get it like...well...it's just a shake...? Maybe I should try again and lower my expectations. 
    AHEM. CFA's Peach Milkshake!!!
    AHEM. CFA's Peach Milkshake!!!
    I don't even like peaches.  But, Chick Fil A is a disappointment on every front except chicken.  Because their sausage is fucking gross.  An abomination in the name of sausage.
  • I don't even like peaches.  But, Chick Fil A is a disappointment on every front except chicken.  Because their sausage is fucking gross.  An abomination in the name of sausage.
    Right, but in all fairness, it's not Sausage Fil A. All fast food sausage is gross. In fact, now that I think about it, all sausage in patty form is gross.