Trying New Things

Comments

• I don't even like peaches.  But, Chick Fil A is a disappointment on every front except chicken.  Because their sausage is fucking gross.  An abomination in the name of sausage.
    Right, but in all fairness, it's not Sausage Fil A. All fast food sausage is gross. In fact, now that I think about it, all sausage in patty form is gross.
    Only Bojangles makes a good sausage patty.  I love sausage patties. @firebirdsinger  They only make sausage for breakfast. 
  • add ham, mayo, and pineapple on white bread to that list.

peanut butter and mayo on white bread

boiled peanuts (in a can OR fresh)

fried baloney, mayo on white bread
  • I cannot stand pimento cheese. My mother adores it. I don't get it.
    To me, it's just a gussied up cold-cheese-n-mayo sandwich =). I love homemade pimento cheese, but I find the flavor of the mayo that's used definitely impacts the end result. I've yet to find a store-bought pimento cheese that doesn't contain vinegar, and the vinegar taste is what turns me off the pre-made varieties.

For me, pimento cheese is summer.....cold pimento cheese on cheap white bread along with a glass of ice water or iced tea is perfect for a sweltering summer day!
  • I feel that way about BLT Pasta salad or chicken salad. Our Costco makes an AH-MAZING chicken salad with almonds and cranberries. Put that on a croissant and it's perfect. 
    I've never had BLT Pasta Salad, but it sounds good for hot weather.
  • I love it! Here's the recipe. Super easy and you can mess with it by adding herbs or spices as much as you want. It's very forgiving and it's even a weight watchers recipe! http://www.recipe-diaries.com/2014/07/03/weight-watchers-blt-pasta-salad/
    Excellent; thank you! It should be plenty warm enough here for some pasta salads over Easter weekend =).
  • I feel like I can now be called Southern. I had my first fried green tomatoes yesterday. I still prefer okra, but they were lovely. 
    I've made them once and they did NOT agree with me. I think I did something wrong.
  • I don't even like peaches.  But, Chick Fil A is a disappointment on every front except chicken.  Because their sausage is fucking gross.  An abomination in the name of sausage.
    Right, but in all fairness, it's not Sausage Fil A. All fast food sausage is gross. In fact, now that I think about it, all sausage in patty form is gross.
    I cannot agree with you! The sausage and egg mcmuffin is delicious!
  • The best sausage I ever had was from a small farm in West Virginia, where they offered it at a little counter on the property. It was only made in small batches on their location, from pork loin, not the other parts of the pig. Delicious! As was their scrapple. Scrapple gets a bad name because the supermarket stuff is generally dreadful, and made from the scrap parts of the animal. We loved their scrapple, but I've never found any since that was worth buying, more than 25 years ago.

And I love pimiento cheese. I have a homemade recipe that is easy (make your own roasted pimiento), if anyone wants me to post it.
  • Used lemongrass in dinner last night. It was our usual cauliflower, curry, coconut milk stir fry thing, except I added chopped lemongrass when I added the garlic and onion at the beginning... I couldn't taste the lemongrass under all those flavors, but Mr. H said he could and liked it... We have two stalks left over... Does anyone have a great recipe they use lemongrass for? Or just general tips on using it?
  • Stick it in the freezer until you make a decision! 
  • Stick it in the freezer until you make a decision! 
    excelletn advice as always, thank you!
  • It does freeze well!

And a lemongrass and ginger mojito is a beautiful thing.
  • Used lemongrass in dinner last night. It was our usual cauliflower, curry, coconut milk stir fry thing, except I added chopped lemongrass when I added the garlic and onion at the beginning... I couldn't taste the lemongrass under all those flavors, but Mr. H said he could and liked it... We have two stalks left over... Does anyone have a great recipe they use lemongrass for? Or just general tips on using it?

Please post recipe, pretty please. I love anything coconut curry.
  • edited March 2016
    For @QitKat (Apologies for the vagueness)

Half an onion
    Clove of garlic (a big one, or two if they are small)
    Stalk of lemongrass if you want
    Chopped -- tossed into a pan with olive oil on med-high

red pepper flakes - 1/2 teaspoon?
    Yellow curry powder -- um... a tablespoon or so... generous if you like curry.
    Added when the onion is transluscent

Add a head of caulifower broken into bite-able sized pieces
    Salt and pepper generously

Toss the cauliflower around and then pour a can of coconut milk all over the pan

Stir, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes

Stir, then add a chopped red bell pepper and snow peas

Stir, cover and simmer again for 5-10 minutes or until the snow peas are done to your liking.

We eat it over rice.

Feel free to edit and improve and let me know what you've done to it! There's no pride of authorship, it's just something i made up or saw somewhere once, I can't even remember.

• edited March 2016
    @firebirdsinger

Here you go:

FROZEN PIMIENTO & CHEESE

[First a disclaimer. This is a very casual recipe, got it from a home ec teacher in the 70s, back when home ec teachers were the real deal. Lol, she wrote it on a blank library check out card! You may be too young to remember those ;-)]

"Wash, half and clean seeds from red peppers. Drop in boiling water. Bring to a boil - boil 3 minutes. Pour water off, cool immediately with cold water. Drain package and freeze."

"Pimiento Cheese - Add 1/2 cup water and cook peppers 10 minutes. Skin - place in blender with cheese, 1 tablespoon salad dressing, little sugar & salt. Blend until mixed."

"(We like velveeta cheese but other cheeses work fine too.)"

That is exactly as she wrote it, and it had been so long I didn't recall it that way. I had to dig for it. So no mention of quantities or proportions! However I know that I made it a couple of times, long ago and it did work. I would ballpark that it would be a couple of peppers to one small block (1#?) of the velveeta or equivalent. Good luck if you try it!
  • @AlisonHendryx

Thanks. No apologies needed. I cook like this all the time. Sounds very tasty. I will try it and try to remember to report back.
  • Are the peppers spicy? I've never been sure what sort to use!
  • edited March 2016
    Are the peppers spicy? I've never been sure what sort to use!

No they aren't spicy. I think what we call red bell peppers here in the US is what you in the UK call capsicum. Anyway they are rather mild. They are the big ones that also come in green, yellow and orange.
  • Qitkat said:
    Are the peppers spicy? I've never been sure what sort to use!

No they aren't spicy. I think what we call red bell peppers here in the US is what you in the UK call capsicum. Anyway they are rather mild. They are the big ones that also come in green, yellow and orange.
    OK yes - you have explained it exactly! Thank you! (UK just calls them peppers. Australia calls them capsicum!)
  • I had the most delicious dish yesterday for lunch with a group of friends at a restaurant called Pappadeaux. I was looking for something on the lighter side. It was called a crudo, so contained raw sushi grade fish. Very pretty layered raw ingredients: tuna and hamachi slices interwoven with sliced radishes, tomatoes, avocado, jalapeño, fresh pineapple cubes, cucumber, red onion, and a few fresh spinach leaves. All on a plate drizzled with cream of coconut and hot chili oil.

It was something I could happily eat every day. I pushed the jalapeño to the side, but they still added a little note of spice. YUM!
  • @foodycatAlicia

Cool! I have learned something. I first heard them called capsicum when I watched Master Chef Australia, and assumed it was the same in the UK. I learned a lot of new names for foods watching that show!
  • Qitkat said:
    @foodycatAlicia Cool! I have learned something. I first heard them called capsicum when I watched Master Chef Australia, and assumed it was the same in the UK. I learned a lot of new names for foods watching that show!
    Really?! I thought they'd mostly be the same - eggplant and zucchini, not aubergine and courgette like in the UK!
  • My parents always made it with store bought pimentos (they come in a jar) drained, mayo and shredded cheddar cheese to taste.  There are so many ways to make it! 
  • Well of course I'm no source on what things are called in the UK vs Australia. I just meant that it was new to me in the US calling them courgettes and aubergines.
  • Qitkat said:
    Well of course I'm no source on what things are called in the UK vs Australia. I just meant that it was new to me in the US calling them courgettes and aubergines.
    It's just a surprise to me that on Australian Masterchef they called them courgettes!
  • I thought of this thread recently when Blue Apron gave us a spice I’d never heard of:  "Grains of Paradise."   It was used to season steaks... part of a West African-inspired meal.  Looked like tiny black peppercorns – you do have to crush them before using – and was described as  "bursting with woodsy, citrusy, peppery flavor.”  Well, yum!  I was really looking forward to that!

But there was so much going on in the dish:  the steak also had a delicious topping of chopped roasted peanuts sauteed in ginger.  And there was a parsley-lime condiment.  And it was served with collard greens, and some sweet mashed plantains that came out really well.  I enjoyed the whole meal – but only after swallowing the last bite did I even remember...

Me:  "Um, did you notice the Grains of Paradise flavor at all?"
    MrWW:  [blink blink]  "The what?"

Gah!  I hope they give me another chance sometime!

Some other things BA has introduced me to:

Dried hops flowers – interesting; pleasantly bitter.
    Za’atar – a Middle Eastern spice blend that I’ve already raved about in every thread of this forum, I think!
    Korean Rice Cakes – These are soft, chewy little pillows of…rice product.  Totally unrelated to those dry “healthy snack” things we all choked down in the 80s when all we really wanted was one damn Pecan Sandie for godsa–  (Never mind; maybe that was just me.)
    Watermelon Radish – I posted my pic of this before.  Lovely light crunch; mild kick; utterly gorgeous to look at.

I’d never been able to find Pea Tips at the market, but BA included them in a pork ramen dish and I loved them!  They taste sweet and crisp, like fresh raw snow peas.  The ones we had were really pretty, with their adorable li'l tendrils and luscious spring-green color.
  • I thought of this thread recently when Blue Apron gave us a spice I’d never heard of:  "Grains of Paradise."   It was used to season steaks... part of a West African-inspired meal.  Looked like tiny black peppercorns – you do have to crush them before using – and was described as  "bursting with woodsy, citrusy, peppery flavor.”  Well, yum!  I was really looking forward to that!

But there was so much going on in the dish:  the steak also had a delicious topping of chopped roasted peanuts sauteed in ginger.  And there was a parsley-lime condiment.  And it was served with collard greens, and some sweet mashed plantains that came out really well.  I enjoyed the whole meal – but only after swallowing the last bite did I even remember...

Me:  "Um, did you notice the Grains of Paradise flavor at all?"
    MrWW:  [blink blink]  "The what?"

Gah!  I hope they give me another chance sometime!

Some other things BA has introduced me to:

Dried hops flowers – interesting; pleasantly bitter.
    Za’atar – a Middle Eastern spice blend that I’ve already raved about in every thread of this forum, I think!
    Korean Rice Cakes – These are soft, chewy little pillows of…rice product.  Totally unrelated to those dry “healthy snack” things we all choked down in the 80s when all we really wanted was one damn Pecan Sandie for godsa–  (Never mind; maybe that was just me.)
    Watermelon Radish – I posted my pic of this before.  Lovely light crunch; mild kick; utterly gorgeous to look at.

I’d never been able to find Pea Tips at the market, but BA included them in a pork ramen dish and I loved them!  They taste sweet and crisp, like fresh raw snow peas.  The ones we had were really pretty, with their adorable li'l tendrils and luscious spring-green color.

I'd heard of grains of paradise watching Good Eats. Alton Brown used then in apple pie instead of the cinnamon, etc that he thinks is right for pumpkin, but not for apple. Since I don't make b pie regularly I never followed up.
  • edited May 2016
    @GraziDiMenti ;  Alton Brown thinks cinnamon doesn't belong in apple pie?  What a rebel!  But how interesting...makes me wish even more that I'd actually tasted the Grains of Paradise.
  • @GraziDiMenti ;  Alton Brown thinks cinnamon doesn't belong in apple pie?  What a rebel!  But how interesting...makes me wish even more that I'd actually tasted the Grains of Paradise.

Don't know if it was so much cinnamon doesn't belong, but, why give apple pie the same flavour profile as pumpkin pie when there are other choices. I really enjoy him, like the food science, theatrical aspects of his show. Was sad that he ended it.