Foundation

I can't believe we haven't talked foundation yet! I can't wear drugstore bc I am incapable of matching my skintone. Plus, I wear it 4-6 days/week, so it's worth the$.
No matter what I wear, by mid-day, my cheeks look shiny & awful. I have pretty good skin, i just try & even my shit out,
I just started wearing the new Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Mois Gel. I like it so far. And I got my mom on it :)

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Depending on how much makeup you use you can try powder under your foundation. Wayne Goss explains it better, but I do it in the summer. Not only does it not move for 7+ hours but I find I need to do little more then blot my forehead and still look great.
  • I'm trying that today!
  • Just make sure you buff the powder in really well. I was skeptical but then I survived a day with full face makeup on in July this past summer.
  •  thanks for that @milaxx ! I have a trade show in Southern California this week and I will be traversing the show floor all day long and this may be the answer I've been looking for!  I tried it for today to test it (where is a blustering 10 degrees) and can already tell I have a more matte finish to my face. We'll see how it withstands errands and housework.  
  • I'll have to try the powder under foundation tip in the summer! I generally wear a powder foundation in summer anyway because they seem to stay on better.

At the moment I am wearing Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation which I am finding very comfortable, long-lasting and a very good colour match. Their range of shades is very limited though.
  • @milaxx  just wanted to report that the tutorial you posted worked fabulously yesterday! Thanks so much! 
  • So glad to hear that!
  • NARS powder foundation for me but I use a beauty blender sponge to apply. My daughter got me using the beauty blender and it really makes a difference.
  • Right now, I'm using Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, which I love. I've been going on a kick of trying different things, though, because I don't wear much and my skin has been decent, so in the past few years I've used NARS Sheer Glow, Bobbi Brown Skin, and YSL Touche Eclat. Loved all of them.
  • CoverFx works for me. It matches my skintone perfectly covers my facial scars and yet never feels heavy and cakey.
  • That Wayne Goss powder-under-foundation thing looks life changing! Definitely trying it.
  • edited March 2015
    For age-50+ skin:  Bobbi Brown Extra SPF 25 Tinted Moisturizing Balm.

I was so weirded out when my old-faithful "for dry skin" Lancome foundation suddenly looked heavy, and even cakey in my smile-lines, etc.  When I ordered this BB I was a little skeptical:  could a "moisturizer" -- "tinted" or not -- also even out my increasing-patchy fair/rosy skin color?  I was pleasantly surprised!  And now (ha, against everything I know about beauty products for women) ;)  I'm just praying that this never goes away.
  • It is life changing! Tried it today. It started to fade at hour 8, I made it to hour 10 without having to refresh and got off work.

COOL!!!!

• I've never been a foundation wearer, but now that turning 40 is in the rear-view mirror... I've started BB cream and just love it.
  • @DrSparkles the Wayne Goss foundation video that @MilaXX posted upthread. Best 5 minutes you will spend today. Your makeup will last all day tomorrow. Off to see if he has one on making your lipstick actually go all day LOL
  • He really has great videos and I like that they are helpful for pros and regular folks alike.
  • Wayne Goss may be my new religion. What an amazing tip.
  • I like LUSH colour supplement - I use dark yellow, which is an intimidating-sounding color but it's actually great. I have olive skin, but I'm also rather pale. I use a teeny bit on its own as a concealer on acne and red areas, and then mix some into moisturizer and use that all over. It's the only thing that doesn't seem to worsen my skin problems or feel heavy/sticky.

My powder is Cover Girl, and that does the job okay, though I still get shiny partway through the day. I need to try that powder underneath trick. Might spend the rest of the day sucked into makeup videos....
  • I really love the Hourglass Mineral Veil Foundation. It's expensive though :(
  • Here's a no doubt stupid question. What does foundation do? Do you only wear it if you wear makeup or do you wear it even without makeup? I don't wear makeup and the only thing I do is put an SPF15 moisturizing cream on my face in the morning. Given that I'm closer to 40 than to 30 and the skin is starting to look a little worn, I'm wondering if I should be doing more.
  • Scimommy said:
    Here's a no doubt stupid question. What does foundation do? Do you only wear it if you wear makeup or do you wear it even without makeup? I don't wear makeup and the only thing I do is put an SPF15 moisturizing cream on my face in the morning. Given that I'm closer to 40 than to 30 and the skin is starting to look a little worn, I'm wondering if I should be doing more.
    @Scimommy foundation *is* makeup! It is the skin-coloured base that you put all the powder and blush etc on top of. It evens out your skin tone and makes a nice canvas for painting. It also can provide some protection against the sun (depending on the SPF). I also find that my skin is better when I am wearing foundation regularly, mostly because I am more scrupulous with my skincare.
  • I love exploring high end foundations. Currently using a gorgeous liquid By Terry Densiliss Foundation, in #8. It's 50% skin care ingredients, and 50% color. It's super light and spreads beautifully. I buff it in with a Kyodo Fu-pa brush or a Sonia Kashuk synthetic buff brush. Also great options are Le Metier de Beaute and the Korean brand Koh Gen Doh. @Scimommy brought up a good point. Wearing foundation does make you more scrupulous with skincare, because the application of foundation, really can highlight rough/dry patches and problems, so having to really cleanse and moisturize, has a big payoff.

• edited March 2015
    Scimommy said:
    Here's a no doubt stupid question. What does foundation do? Do you only wear it if you wear makeup or do you wear it even without makeup? I don't wear makeup and the only thing I do is put an SPF15 moisturizing cream on my face in the morning. Given that I'm closer to 40 than to 30 and the skin is starting to look a little worn, I'm wondering if I should be doing more.
    I agree with @FoodycatAlicia - foundation helps even out your skin tone providing a nice "blank canvas". It also can moisturize and protect your skin from the elements.  Coverage varies: if you are young or have really good skin you can go for lighter coverage such as a tinted moisturizer, for problem skin go for fuller coverage and/or concealer. 
  • After having all of these make up discussions this week, I am headed for Sephora and I'm a little scared!!!!!!
  • pattyj said:
    Wearing foundation does make you more scrupulous with skincare, because the application of foundation, really can highlight rough/dry patches and problems, so having to really cleanse and moisturize, has a big payoff.

No kidding. I was sporting lizard forehead all day yesterday. Not an attractive look, FYI. Time to exfoliate!
  • Thanks so much, ladies. So it sounds like it's not necessary to wear anything on top of foundation, like powder or blush, but you can if you want to? Did I get that right? Hmm. The whole "evening out skin tone" sounds good, but it brings me to my next question: how do I find the right foundation for me? It sounds like the good stuff is very expensive, and I can't bring myself to spend a lot of money for something that may not work. I've tried some stuff sold at regular pharmacies and it was pretty cakey/artificial-looking. Do I have to go to Sephora and start shelling out hundreds of dollars until I maybe one day find something that works for my skin?
  • @Scimommy No need to be afraid of Sephora. You can tell them you budget and they'll work with it. Also, a tinted moisturizer or bb cream may be a good place to start if you don't want to go all in on a foundation. I love Miracle Skin Transformer. It evens things put without looking heavy or cakey.
  • I just bought a new foundation, after years of using tinted moisturisers, I decided my skin needed a bit more help. Clinique's Even Better. It's very easy to apply and is perfect for me. I cleanse, apply serum, then moisturiser, then Dior Glow Maximiser as my primer and then the foundation. Dewy skin abound!