Foundation

Comments

• @Scimommy it's a bit of trial and error. I will never stop recommending youtube beauty channels - some of them do reviews of inexpensive products as well as higher end. There are also sites like makeupalley which have member reviews of different products, which help narrow down the ones you want to try.

The Bourjois foundation I am using at the moment is $22 online from Walgreens, apparently - so it isn't cheap-cheap but it isn't that expensive, either. 
  • edited March 2015
    @scimommy I'm 51yo & have been wearing foundation for ~15 years & still can't match foundation to my skin :(
    I say go to Sephora, let them know what kind of coverage you want (light medium or full), and like the previous poster said, tell them your price range.
    Right now I'm using the new bare essentials, I can't remember if the exact name, but it's their new gel moisturizer/Bcream, and it's reasonable in my opinion. I also use make up forever HD foundation, which provides more coverage and gives me a more finished look, it's more expensive but I only wear it two or three days a week, so it lasts forever, well six months.
    Also, the great thing about Sephora is a. they will give you samples of several things to try and b. the return policy -so even if you do end up buying something and you end up hating it they will take it back and that's how it differs from the drugstore.
    Good luck!
    ETA: makeupalley is a great site, their members seem to be more critical than Sephora's reviewers, so I try & hit the middle ground w both.
  • I haven't been on makeupalley in years! I almost forgot they existed.

@scimommy There are some very nice drug store foundations out there. Revlon Photo Ready has a nice color range and isn't too pricey.  The good thing is even the drugstores will allow you to return foundations if they don't work for you.
  • Thank you all so much for educating me! My mall has a Sephora and I'll stop by it. Maybe they will do a little tutorial for me. And I like the idea of samples!
  • After years of wearing nothing more than tinted sunscreen, in my mid-forties I finally decided to start wearing actual foundation, though one that gives light coverage (Clinique Perfectly Real).  Getting the right color can be very helpful.  My skin has a yellowish undertones, and switching to a pinkish foundation helped that a lot, as well as evening out my skin tone. Since I use a foundation with light coverage, you can't really tell that the foundation is a slightly different color from my skin.  However, I do find that I feel like I need to use blush more often now that I wear foundation, because the foundation hides any natural color that your cheeks might have.  So while you don't *have* to put on more makeup with foundation, you might find yourself wanting to.  My makeup routine is still pretty low maintenance, though. 

• I went to Sephora to get my skin matched, and let me tell you, it was fabulous. I have very light, very yellow skin, and I left with a perfect match. Also, YSL foundation is like my Holy Grail of makeup. It's not cheap, but I leave the house looking like a million dollars, and isn't that what it's all about?
  • Caroline said:
    Right now, I'm using Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, which I love. I've been going on a kick of trying different things, though, because I don't wear much and my skin has been decent, so in the past few years I've used NARS Sheer Glow, Bobbi Brown Skin, and YSL Touche Eclat. Loved all of them.
    I use Chanel Foundation too and love it.  Full coverage without any type of "caking".
  • Milaxx said:
    Depending on how much makeup you use you can try powder under your foundation. Wayne Goss explains it better, but I do it in the summer. Not only does it not move for 7+ hours but I find I need to do little more then blot my forehead and still look great.
    Milaxx, what powder do you use/recommend? The one I have is probably too old but it didn't buff out as much as I needed. Thanks so much!
  • edited March 2015

I ran out & bought that Nars powder that Wayne Goss used in his tutorial. (Well, I bought it online.) I am liking it so far, but it smells like fritos.

ETA name: NARS Light Reflecting Loose Setting Powder

• Pafuchi said:
    Milaxx said:
    Depending on how much makeup you use you can try powder under your foundation. Wayne Goss explains it better, but I do it in the summer. Not only does it not move for 7+ hours but I find I need to do little more then blot my forehead and still look great.
    Milaxx, what powder do you use/recommend? The one I have is probably too old but it didn't buff out as much as I needed. Thanks so much!
    Whatever you like. I have several: MakeupForever, Coverfx, Ben Nye and some drug store brand I'm too lazy to go dig out to find the name of. I use my Coverfx retractable powder brush to buff it in.
  • I love how helpful the Bitter Kittens are!

I have the biggest problem with color matching.  I feel like I've tried a zillion different foundations, I was Pantone color matched at Sephora, and I always ask for assistance when I make a purchase.  They are super helpful at Sephora.  

Here's the problem- my skin is fairly pale with pink undertones.  When I'm in the store, I will feel excited about every new foundation that I have finally found the match.  But then I get it home and try it out, and I look like Pixie Draco Jared Leto because it is always too dark and too orange for my skin.  

I've read that people with pink undertones should not buy foundation with pink undertones because it will make you look pink.  But the foundation with yellow undertones makes me look orange.  In my world pink + yellow = orange.  

How does a pink pale girl match foundation without looking like Michael Kors or John Bohner in the end (or, I suppose, a sunburn victim)?
  • Milaxx said:
    @Milaxx can I just say how weird I found it the first time I heard people talking about a makeup artist called Wayne Goss? Wayne Goss was the Premier of Queensland when I was at university, so it sounded like people were taking eyeshadow advice from George Bush. I love this Wayne Goss's videos though.

• How does a pink pale girl match foundation without looking like Michael Kors or John Bohner in the end (or, I suppose, a sunburn victim)?
    This. This is seriously the question I'd ask whatever divine put us here. I wanna knoooow!
  • kmkkmk
    edited March 2015
    @starts_with_k Depending on how pale you are, you might want to invest in a 'white'. I know MAC Face and Body has one, and so does Illamasqua (in their Skinbase range, I think) and Face Atelier. You will have to buy two foundations, but one can be the one you think is your match and the other will be the white, so you can dilute the original colour when you go to put it on if it's too dark.

About the undertones, the only thing I can suggest is going home with different samples of the foundation (the one you've been matched to, and then the closest one with the opposite undertone) and trying them on before you commit to buying.

Lisa Eldridge has a great video about finding foundation for pale skintones with examples within a large range of budgets.
  • My resolution this year is to use up foundations that I've bought when I was on a makeup kick a year ago, even the ones I don't like. I'm currently going through Guerlain Parure de Lumiere, which is absolutely divine when applied with a damp sponge (I personally hate it with a brush). Expensive but super long-lasting with an awesome finish.

Foundation is the one thing that I don't mind splurging on because it can make you feel like a million bucks. In contrast, my concealer is somewhere around £3.
  • @kmk,  I do use a brush to do the basic application of my foundation, but I always use a sponge to smooth the foundation out.  Otherwise, I'll have brush marks all over my face.  No matter what foundation I use or what brush, it's the same thing -brush marks.  I want to try that NARS foundation that Wayne Goss says is so wonderful.  You apply it with your fingers.
  • @Munchkn I usually use buffing brushes (I really like the Real Techniques Buffing brush, the RT Expert Face brush and the Bobbi Brown Full coverage face brush) and the finish is never streaky (apart from weird foundations)! It's the reason why I'm still sitting on a bottle of this Guerlain stuff because I couldn't figure out how to apply it properly before I bought a sponge, and I didn't get the right coverage if I switched to my fingers.

To be honest, I usually apply with my fingers. Most not-too-runny but water-based foundations are great with fingers or a brush!

Is Wayne Goss talking about the new NARS foundation? I sort of want to check it out but 1) I am sitting on at least four bottles of foundation I need to finish and 2) there was this one review on Youtube which said it never set, so it always moves around on your face. It's the one thing I can't stand.
  • @kmk I have an Armani foundation like that. Almost impossible to get on without streaks.
  • @foodycatAlicia People (i.e. the Internet) rave about the Armani. Is it the more silicone-y one? I personally find all their foundation offerings so horrible, I don't even know how people apply them (the YSL Fusion Ink is like this too). GAH.

Different products for different skins, I guess.

For streaky foundations I am now a sponge convert. It doesn't even have to be the Beauty Blender (£16? Really?). The Real Techniques sponge works just as well (or the MAC pink sponge, but I have the feeling the price of this is now the same as the BB *wince*). 
  • @kmk it's this one - and  the sponge is definitely the way to go. I had a beauty pod, which was perfect, but it went mouldy and it's far too expensive to re-buy. I like the Real Techniques brushes I have, so I will give their sponge a crack.
  • I'll have to try the powder under foundation tip in the summer! I generally wear a powder foundation in summer anyway because they seem to stay on better.

At the moment I am wearing Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation which I am finding very comfortable, long-lasting and a very good colour match. Their range of shades is very limited though.
    I've just seen a dupes video on youtube and apparently the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum that I love is a dupe for the discontinued Chanel Pro Lumiere. It is really good but I can't imagine paying Chanel prices for it!
  • Foundation is a little hobby for me. I have Chanel, Bobby Brown, Cle de Peau. Many more in my cabinet. Found a little gem in the Loreal line, Lumi. It is 12.99 at Ulta, feels almost exactly like BB Skin. Lots of shades and no scent. I use it on the weekends
  • Hmpf. That magical step by Wayne Goss doesn't seem to be working for me  :(  It's probably a 'me' thing (in that I'm not doing it right) but still  :(
  • @FoodycatAlicia - I had that sponge. I bought it to see if I wanted to invest in a beauty blender sponge. I wasn't impressed and could never get it clean enough. I switched back to the disposable beauty sponges I buy from the drugstore. I also recently discovered Coverfx's new custom cover drops. It's drops of pigment that can be mixed with anything for as little or as much coverage as you want. I think it will be my go to foundation for the summer.
  • I have heard about those! I have easy to match skin, so I'm not that tempted, but several of my friends are completely excited at the prospect of being able to get colour AND texture right.
  • Hmpf. That magical step by Wayne Goss doesn't seem to be working for me  :(  It's probably a 'me' thing (in that I'm not doing it right) but still  :(
    It didn't work so well the first few times I tried it but then I read @MillaXX 's comment that you have to buff the powder in really well before applying the foundation. That seemed to do the trick for me. Hope it helps!
  • edited May 2015
    Bumping for @MajorBedHead
  • Thanks, @Milaxx

So, I'm 48, but I still get zits (which, what the everloving fuck is THAT all about?) and my skin is just not as nice as it was when I was younger. I don't have many wrinkles, but my skin just looks flat these days. I also have areas that have big pores, although that's not all over my face, just on the apples of my cheeks. I haven't worn foundation in years, so I have no idea what I should be looking for. I also have pretty sensitive skin. I'm open to going to Sephora, if you think they'll be able to help.

Currently my skin care routine is to clean with witch hazel and that's it. I don't moisturize every day because that makes the acne worse but if I'm feeling very dry, I'll do OCM. I exfoliate about once a week with just a bath puff. (I'm sure all you skin care people are cringing right now.)

Skin is a pain in the arse.... 
  • Have you tried mineral foundations @MajorBedHead - they tend to be recommended for people with sensitive and easily aggravated skin.

I find witch hazel very drying on my skin, which then makes it produce more oil. You should possibly also look for oil-free moisturisers with hyaluronic acid in them, because it sounds like your skin might be dehydrated (oily AND dehydrated is a thing).
  • I haven't ever tried mineral makeup. Does it give the coverage that liquid does? 

Hyaluronic acid. OK. I think I'm going to have to make a trip to Sephora. Joy.