Foundation

Comments

• @ foodycatAlicia  Mama's day present? Bday present? It will last 4ever
  • The thing is, there's a Givenchy lip balm coming out that's really pretty, and I'd rather spend ridiculous money on that!
  • If I wore foundation on the regular, I would definitely try the Givenchy.  I've still got my IT cosmetics tube that I bought almost a year ago on @pennymac's recommendation.  I rarely do full on make up working from home. 

I love it, and I've got my bestie hooked on it. It is good stuff. 
  • @DrSparkles and @GeoDiva ;   Sounds fantastic...and if I had the patience right now to make a wild guess about which color to order (I'm so bad at that game!) I would go for it.

Does it have a strong scent?  I like the way my Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizing Balm looks and feels on my skin – but it reeks of eucalyptus. 
  • @winterwhite ; There is a faint scent, but of what I don't remember. From the reviews, most people seem to do well with the pastel one, it's more of a corrector, evener-outer. HA! Making up words :)
  • Thank you, Dr.
    :)
  • Thank you, Dr.

Ha! Maybe my damn name should be Dr Sephora?!?!?!!!!
  • Thank you, Dr.

Ha! Maybe my damn name should be Dr Sephora?!?!?!!!!

LOL!
  • edited April 2016
    :)  So today I wore the blurring powder sans foundation. We'll see what I think in a few hours. Of course I do have on: 2 serums, moisturizer, primer, powder & blush. And I did my face self-tanner last night. Isn't that enough for summer?!?!?!
  • :)  So today I wore the blurring powder sans foundation. We'll see what I think in a few hours. Of course I do have on: 2 serums, moisturizer, primer, powder & blush. And I did my face self-tanner last night. Isn't that enough for summer?!?!?!

So how did it go?
  • allie07 said:
    I have trouble with foundations oxidizing darker on me, even if I try lighter shades. Doesn't matter if I use primer or not.
    You may need to play around with foundations. I've read a few things that might help that. I'll have to double check where I saw the info. 

• MothraVA said:
    how do folks by foundation online? Do you already know what will work for you? I really need a good primer, I think. My skin is chronically dry so any kind of regular foundation just makes me look OLD and wrinkly.  But I have trouble tolerating anything with SPF in it (I always wear sunglasses and a hat when I'm outside for more than an hour) We have a Blue Sapphire store  (and a Sephora which I have never gone into--should I?) near my office and so I often go there, but I don't even know what to ask for. I also need a bronzer because I think I might be the whitest person I know (because I wear sunglasses and hats!) 
    So sites have color comparison charts. They tell you if you wear a certain shade in one brand what the corresponding shade will be in another. Mostly I just know what my colors are from having purchased in store. I would also back track and look into a good skin care routine. I find I can wear most anything as long as my skin is in primo condition. I hate to sound like a hipster, but I swear by coconut oil. I slather it on my face and neck every nice before bed. My skin has never looked so great!
  • Milaxx said:
    allie07 said:
    I have trouble with foundations oxidizing darker on me, even if I try lighter shades. Doesn't matter if I use primer or not.
    You may need to play around with foundations. I've read a few things that might help that. I'll have to double check where I saw the info. 

Took me a minute to get back to this. I found this bit of information from a makeup group I am in. The group owner is an Emmy award winning makeup artist. You may want to try silicone or wax based foundations.  Here's the direct quote.
     Oxidation typically happens with oil-free, glycerine based foundation, especially foundations made with non-coated pigments. 
    The pigments change color (oxidize) when exposed to skin oils.
    A silicone or wax based foundation will not change color (oxidize) because the pigment has already been exposed to an "oil".

• What about good primers for oily skin???
    Just cut and pasting a few recommendations:

Becca evermatte poreless primer. Make sure u pat on not swipe. Don't use too much otherwise it gets almost powdery. Best oil sucking primer

The Becca Evermatte primer is really good for oily skin. ( The UK dupe for that would be the Boots No.7 Evermatte Primer). For foundations, I find MAC Prolongwear Waterproof foundation, SmashBox Liquid Halo & Lancome Teint Idole 24hrs really good on my clients with oily skin & photographs really well too

Dior, Forever foundation. Simi..matte, 16 hours wear
  • GeoDiva said:
    :)  So today I wore the blurring powder sans foundation. We'll see what I think in a few hours. Of course I do have on: 2 serums, moisturizer, primer, powder & blush. And I did my face self-tanner last night. Isn't that enough for summer?!?!?!

So how did it go?
    Well, I only worked part of the day & then drove for 6 hours, bleh, but it was fine. I didn't feel 'polished' like I do w foundation, but that may be too bad so sad for me this summer!
  • @Milaxx Sorry for the late reply.  Thank you so much for that information!!  It is the most annoying thing. 
  • Welp. I had some time on my hands & wandered into Bloomie's last Friday looking for Chanel foundation. I shit you not, I walked out with:

Foundation (Les Beiges), Primer (they only have one), Moisturizer (la solution 10), 'Glow' Powder (~bronzer), eyeshadow quartet (the desert colors) AND lipstick (boheme)!!! The first 3 I can say I needed...

I am LOVING the foundation, shadow & lipstick, & everything else is good.

• Welp. I had some time on my hands & wandered into Bloomie's last Friday looking for Chanel foundation. I shit you not, I walked out with:

Foundation (Les Beiges), Primer (they only have one), Moisturizer (la solution 10), 'Glow' Powder (~bronzer), eyeshadow quartet (the desert colors) AND lipstick (boheme)!!! The first 3 I can say I needed...

I am LOVING the foundation, shadow & lipstick, & everything else is good.

This is why I do not wander into make stores or around make up counters.  ALL THE THINGS I never knew about and NEED are in there. 
  • I am currently loving (and I mean it's true love) Givenchy Teint Couture Balm. I's amazing, it makes you look younger, glows and lasts all day. I adore it. I wrote about it on my blog:

• I have that too @BillyWilderFan & I do like it too. Do you use a primer w it?
  • allie07 said:
    @Milaxx Sorry for the late reply.  Thank you so much for that information!!  It is the most annoying thing. 
    I am as late as you are. I also fine that foundations like Bare Mineral are a no go on me and Revlon True Match also oxidizes on me. We're talking Ompha Loopa orange. I can skimp on a lot of things but I have to invest in good foundations. Brands that work well for me: Make Up Forever, CoverFx and MAC. I rarely stray from these brands because the results are always disastrous.
  • edited August 2016
    @DrSparkles,  I finally tried the sample of Chanel foundation (Beiges) that I got in an issue of Vogue some months back.  I would have tried it earlier, but was rather unsure about the shade.  The shade works and the finish is so dewy!  It's very flattering on this 61 year old skin. 

ETA: The foundation is Vitalumiere Aqua.
    [email protected]: Just realized that Les Beiges is a line of Chanel foundation. Still might indulge in Chanel foundation next time I need to buy foundation.
  • @Munchkn ; I have also used the Vitalumiere Aqua, it is so nice. I'll probably go to that for the winter, the Beiges is better for summer (according to the Chanel MUA).

Chanel's makeup is soooooo nice (& of course, $$$)

• I'm probably so late to the party, but I just started using Too Faced Primed and Poreless primer and I swear every time I put it on, light shines through my bathroom windows and angels sing. The rest of my makeup goes on so nicely after using it.
  • @DrSparkles I just bought an automatic foundation applicatior that is like a clarisonic that gives any foundation an airbrush look. It is called Color Me. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know....
    https://net-a-porter.com/us/en/product/654046/color_me/automatic-foundation-applicator-pro-edition
  • edited August 2016
    I picked up some L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte on sale (I'd used it before and the first time I thought it wasn't enough coverage for me) and it's been really working for me in this heat. I use Neostrata Mattifying Fluid as my "primer," even though I don't really think it's a primer per se, and set everything with Ben Nye banana powder and it's shine-free goodness until I hit the gym for my workout. I also like the NYX Stay Matte, Not Flat powder foundation as another inexpensive alternative. I like a fuller coverage foundation and was using either the Vichy Dermablend or the Kat Von D Tattoo Lock during the cooler months but just found them both too much this summer.

I've been focusing a lot more on skincare this year and found an awesome esthetician who has really improved the texture of my skin, so the makeup application and how much I'm using has improved as well. 
  • @ashtangajunkie I'm lol'ing but also jealous!

@geodiva Oooooo, can't wait!!

@Anna_P A good 'canvas' is a must!!!! What is this banana powder?!
  • edited August 2016
    @ashtangajunkie I'm lol'ing but also jealous! @geodiva Oooooo, can't wait!! @Anna_P A good 'canvas' is a must!!!! What is this banana powder?!
    Surprised you haven't heard about it. Ben Nye banana powder was all the range for a while. It's basically set powder with a yellow tint. It's good for POC or those with yellow undertones since it doesn't leave them looking ashy like regular white set powders can.

@Anna_P I have become a skin care fanatic. I can't afford to see an esthetician, but I have  developed a rather basic skin care routine that works wonders for me. Like most things it all starts with diet and exercise. The better I eat, the better my skin looks. I've even gotten compliments on my skin on my no makeup days.
  • Milaxx said:
    @ashtangajunkie I'm lol'ing but also jealous! @geodiva Oooooo, can't wait!! @Anna_P A good 'canvas' is a must!!!! What is this banana powder?!
    Surprised you haven't heard about it. Ben Nye banana powder was all the range for a while. It's basically set powder with a yellow tint. It's good for POC or those with yellow undertones since it doesn't leave them looking ashy like regular white set powders can.

@Anna_P I have become a skin care fanatic. I can't afford to see an esthetician, but I have  developed a rather basic skin care routine that works wonders for me. Like most things it all starts with diet and exercise. The better I eat, the better my skin looks. I've even gotten compliments on my skin on my no makeup days.

By far the best setting powder I've tried. My skin is pretty oily and this stuff doesn't cake on me, even in the heat. My skin type has gotten so confusing. It was oily/acne-prone in my teens, cleared up and looked great in my 20s, and then was dry but I was getting adult acne in my 30s, blech. My current routine is to take off my makeup with a cleansing oil and I've been using dermalogica. It's pricey, but also highly concentrated so the bottles last me a long time. I figure I've spent enough trying things that didn't work, that paying a little more for something that does and lasts a long time is probably more cost-effective in the long run. My skin is really prone to hyper-pigmentation so I tried microdermabrasion and it was totally worth it in terms of improving the texture and tone.
  • Was very impressed with the Color Me applicator. I tried it with both a BB cream and a regular foundation. It does create a very nice finish. I even used it to blend some concealer. I have used the beauty blender and it this works better than it.