Foundation

12346»

Comments

• I am insanely fortunate. I never had major acne issue as a teen. I have typical t zone skin, but not excessively oily. I use my clarisonic 3 - 4 days a week. Drink 60 -70 ounces of water a day and moisturize with coconut oil each night. I never drink soda and eat pretty clean. I use makeup cloths when I come home. Literally any brand, but I prefer the Yes to.... brand. I wash my face before bed, moisturize and that's pretty much it. Maybe once a month a do a face mask using old school Queen Helene mint mask. I have some hyperpigmentation and scarring from shingles but I've noticed since I've been using the coconut oil that is slowly fading. Other than some crows feet on the outer corners of my eyes, my skin looks pretty decent for nearly 53.
  • Hmmm. So do you just rub coconut oil on your face @Milaxx?

GAME  CHANGER  ALERT! Has anyone tried this: Guerlain baby glow

I got a sample of this & I'm not sure it's the right shade (even tho there's only 3, sample is medium but I might be golden) but a friend came into my office yesterday & stopped short & said "your skin looks amazing" & I told her I was trying a new foundation & she said "you look younger"!!!!! & this is not a person who is gonna pee on your leg & tell you it's raining!!!  

I have GOT to get to Sephora & try the golden & get the hook-up for my god-daughter's wedding this weekend!

• I've been getting away from fuller coverage foundations and I'm super late to this party, but I've really gotten into testing BB and CC creams lately. I've finally gotten a skincare routine down that really works for me, has calmed the inflammation, irritation and redness and really cleared up my skin. Triple cleansing and a Korean-style routine is pretty much religion now. 

The last few months, I've noticed I haven't had as much of a need of full coverage foundations and concealers and the goal is eventually no makeup days (sometimes). I really wish Korean companies had a much MUCH bigger shade range because I otherwise like the high SPF and skincare benefits in their BB creams, and the majority of the more affordable ones at the drugstore are too pink for my skintone. I was so excited that my local pharmacy started carrying Iman Cosmetics and their Skin Tone Evener BB Creme has a shade that actually works for me, so far I'm loving it. And for $20, not outrageously priced.  
  • OK. Primer. Why can't I find one I like & that 'works'? Does anyone have a holy grail??
  • OK. Primer. Why can't I find one I like & that 'works'? Does anyone have a holy grail??

What problems are you having with your current primer? What are you needing from a primer? Do you need the primer to do anything other than help your makeup last longer? Color correcting? Pore minimizing? There's a number of factors to consider when finding one that will work for you. Skin type (dry vs. oily). The type of foundation you are using on top of it (water-based foundations play nicer with water-based primers, etc).
  • I was going to recommend the Bobbi Brown primer that I like and looked at their site and saw nothing that resembles what I have... so grail search continues.
  • Wait - no it's Bobbi Brown - 'Skin Smoothing' pore perfector. I just can't see it on their website. It's really nice. Clings to foundation and actually makes your skin feel better after using it.
  • Switch842 said:

OK. Primer. Why can't I find one I like & that 'works'? Does anyone have a holy grail??

What problems are you having with your current primer? What are you needing from a primer? Do you need the primer to do anything other than help your makeup last longer? Color correcting? Pore minimizing? There's a number of factors to consider when finding one that will work for you. Skin type (dry vs. oily). The type of foundation you are using on top of it (water-based foundations play nicer with water-based primers, etc).
    Primer to-do: minimize pores & give me a smooth surface to put foundation on. I have dry skin, with a T that gets shiny as the day drags on. I use GUERLAIN Météorites Baby Glow Sheer Liquid Foundation most days & also MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation. I'm not sure what base they are, I have a hard time w that :(

@foodycatAlicia I did get a sample of the BB yesterday from Macys (Sephora doesn't carry it). They are so stingy! I got enough for one day & I have it on today... so far (5 hours), so good! Thanks :)
  • Switch842 said:

OK. Primer. Why can't I find one I like & that 'works'? Does anyone have a holy grail??

Primer to-do: minimize pores & give me a smooth surface to put foundation on. I have dry skin, with a T that gets shiny as the day drags on. I use GUERLAIN Météorites Baby Glow Sheer Liquid Foundation most days & also MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation. I'm not sure what base they are, I have a hard time w that :(

@foodycatAlicia I did get a sample of the BB yesterday from Macys (Sephora doesn't carry it). They are so stingy! I got enough for one day & I have it on today... so far (5 hours), so good! Thanks :)
    Having both dry and oily skin, you might want to consider two primers? I know, but it's not easy finding a primer that works well for both. I have oily skin and I really like the Smashbox Photo Finish primer. For dry skin, I've been hearing really good things about the new Marc Jacobs Under(cover) Perfecting Coconut Face Primer. And you can't go wrong with Benefit Porefessional for pore minimizing.

Good luck!!
  • So, I decided to go with Urban Decay’s Optical Illusion (primer). I got a generous sample from Sephora & wore it several times, including this weekend when it was 94 & I had to be at an outdoors college graduation :( I'm not saying my makeup & face looked perfect, but that primer held up pretty well! & did very well in other (indoor) circumstances but still hot a hell weather. I'm also liking the Smashbox Photo Finish Radiance Primer that I ordered, but will use it when it's not quite as freaking hot.
  • Primer AND setting spray are key to locking everything in for me. Today I'm wearing the Wet N Wild photo focus primer all over and a pore-filling one around my problem areas, my usual every day beat and then MAC coconut fix + and so far everything seems to be holding up during Toronto's first "heat event" of the year. My foundation tends to break up around where my glasses touch my face, but so far everything is looking good.
  • Foundation-adjacent: I was watching a new (to me) beauty blogger this weekend & she mentioned Makeup Forever's Shine On (loose) Powder, so I decided I MUST get it.

After many hours of searching, I realize it's not available in the US & now I am beyond sad.