Safe Detox?

I'm trying to get my head around the fact that I have to start eating healthier. I feel like crap all the time, partly because of my auto-immune thing, and Zoe Saldana said eating clean really helps her (we have the same thing).

Does anybody eat clean? How did you start?

If possible I'm going to do it without turning into an asshole, although this has never been accomplished in my circle. The second I catch myself looking disapprovingly at what someone is eating or saying something like, "It's great that you can eat that - all that sugar and fat would kill me now that I'm eating clean," all bets are off.

Comments

• Are you at all familiar with Whole30? I know the tendency for a lot of people is to dismiss it because it seems trendy, but I have a chronic condition and following paleo has greatly improved my quality of life. I eat clean and I'm fairly certain I'm not an asshole. 

I started by eliminating wheat, refined sugar and cow's dairy, then built my way to fully paleo over the course of about 6 months. I still eat rice and drink alcohol - I'm on a Whole30 right now so I'm not currently, but typically I do. I'm happy to answer questions or talk about it if you think you might like to know more. I've been paleo almost 4 years so I've had my ups and downs with it. 
  • I'm not, but I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation. 

I know for most people it's the bread, but for me it's going to just be a BITCH to eliminate cow dairy. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. 
  • I eat clean. Not gimmicks, no special program. I just eat whole foods. Nothing in a box or premade. So I cook from scratch 90%. I don't drink soda, rarely drink just and have no more than 1 cup of coffee or tea a day. I read labels, anything with more than 10 ingredients or ingredients that sound more like a science project than food, I don't eat. I drink at a minimum 60-70 ounces of water a day. No artificial sweeteners, I eat either real sugar or honey. Agave is just too sweet for my taste.  I don't drink milk, but I do eat dairy, especially in my yogurt. I also eat real butter and cheese. I have a load of allergies and I found that avoid foods that are too chemical-y or contain food dyes (especially red dyes) helps.  I avoid highly processed carbs like white rice, pastas and breads. Limit potatoes especially white potatoes.

What I found makes this easier is doing a weekly food prep. Make your protein. I'm veg so for me that's beans and typically a whole grain like quinoa or red/brown/black rice. For my sister, this is usually something like making a pack of chicken breast that can be dresses several ways. I cut up and store fresh fruit and veg for salads and snacking. I buy plain greek yogurt and add my own fixings to it. 

I also work out 4 -5 days a week.

Has it made a difference? Yes. I have angiodema urticaria, chronic year round sinusitis, trigeminal neuralgia. I am ana allergic to seafood, red dyes & stevia. Any imbalance in any of these conditions triggers a reaction in the other. Prior to changing my eating I would literally break out in hives head to toe, approximately every 2 weeks. I've spent more time in the ER getting IV benedryl treatments and once was in a medically induced coma from an allergic reaction. Since cleaning up my diet I have not been to the ER once. I've had a few mild reactions, but they were managed at home with OTC benedryl.  I have to take a zyrtec daily to manage my histamine levels, but I haven't had a full head to toe outbreak since. 
  • @Milaxx if you come to the UK soon be very, very careful. A lot of companies have been swapping out some of the sugar in their products for stevia and other artificial sweeteners (I am not allergic, but I can taste it from a mile away and think it's disgusting) and they are not very good about updating the ingredients lists on line. So you buy something you've always bought and suddenly... a friend's husband ended up quite sick one weekend from an artificial sweetener he is allergic to, because the formulation changed.
  • Milaxx said:
    I eat clean. Not gimmicks, no special program. I just eat whole foods. Nothing in a box or premade. So I cook from scratch 90%. I don't drink soda, rarely drink just and have no more than 1 cup of coffee or tea a day. I read labels, anything with more than 10 ingredients or ingredients that sound more like a science project than food, I don't eat. I drink at a minimum 60-70 ounces of water a day. No artificial sweeteners, I eat either real sugar or honey. Agave is just too sweet for my taste.  I don't drink milk, but I do eat dairy, especially in my yogurt. I also eat real butter and cheese. I have a load of allergies and I found that avoid foods that are too chemical-y or contain food dyes (especially red dyes) helps.  I avoid highly processed carbs like white rice, pastas and breads. Limit potatoes especially white potatoes.

What I found makes this easier is doing a weekly food prep. Make your protein. I'm veg so for me that's beans and typically a whole grain like quinoa or red/brown/black rice. For my sister, this is usually something like making a pack of chicken breast that can be dresses several ways. I cut up and store fresh fruit and veg for salads and snacking. I buy plain greek yogurt and add my own fixings to it. 

I also work out 4 -5 days a week.

Has it made a difference? Yes. I have angiodema urticaria, chronic year round sinusitis, trigeminal neuralgia. I am ana allergic to seafood, red dyes & stevia. Any imbalance in any of these conditions triggers a reaction in the other. Prior to changing my eating I would literally break out in hives head to toe, approximately every 2 weeks. I've spent more time in the ER getting IV benedryl treatments and once was in a medically induced coma from an allergic reaction. Since cleaning up my diet I have not been to the ER once. I've had a few mild reactions, but they were managed at home with OTC benedryl.  I have to take a zyrtec daily to manage my histamine levels, but I haven't had a full head to toe outbreak since. 
    I think I could actually make a lot of the stuff I buy in boxes or premade, it's just so much easier and faster to buy the prepared stuff. I'm going to have to learn to cook again.

The tip about the proteins is a great one!

• In one way I work quite similarly to @Milaxx - I get my groceries in on Sunday, and then I PREP.  If I bought chicken thighs to freeze, I pull them out of the package and wrap them individually in clingfilm so I can freeze them; if I buy meat to grill then it goes in the fridge.  If I buy cabbage, I wash it and julienne it; I dice bell pepper, slice poblanos, dice jalapenos, chop onion, etc etc and everything gets its own tupperware.

Then any night of the week, I just need to take my defrosted individual chicken thigh and cut it up, throw it in the pan with my veggies, and hey presto, twenty minutes later I'm eating stir fry or chicken teryaki or barbecue pineapple chicken or whatever.  Heck, when I have time in the mornings it's even easy to make an omelet because the cheese is grated and the onions chopped and all I need to do is whip some eggs and throw it all in a pan.
  • In one way I work quite similarly to @Milaxx - I get my groceries in on Sunday, and then I PREP.  If I bought chicken thighs to freeze, I pull them out of the package and wrap them individually in clingfilm so I can freeze them; if I buy meat to grill then it goes in the fridge.  If I buy cabbage, I wash it and julienne it; I dice bell pepper, slice poblanos, dice jalapenos, chop onion, etc etc and everything gets its own tupperware.

Then any night of the week, I just need to take my defrosted individual chicken thigh and cut it up, throw it in the pan with my veggies, and hey presto, twenty minutes later I'm eating stir fry or chicken teryaki or barbecue pineapple chicken or whatever.  Heck, when I have time in the mornings it's even easy to make an omelet because the cheese is grated and the onions chopped and all I need to do is whip some eggs and throw it all in a pan.
    Make eggs in muffin tins or mini crustless quiches. I also boil half dozen eggs and cube some hard cheese. I can bag up an egg, cheese and I like dried cranberries for an on the go breakfast.
  • Yeah, I found some recipes for that and am planning on trying it when I get back to Texas.  My only worry is reheating - is microwaving ok?  Will I have to do it in the oven?  Will they taste ok and not soggy?
  • Milaxx said:
    In one way I work quite similarly to @Milaxx - I get my groceries in on Sunday, and then I PREP.  If I bought chicken thighs to freeze, I pull them out of the package and wrap them individually in clingfilm so I can freeze them; if I buy meat to grill then it goes in the fridge.  If I buy cabbage, I wash it and julienne it; I dice bell pepper, slice poblanos, dice jalapenos, chop onion, etc etc and everything gets its own tupperware.

Make eggs in muffin tins or mini crustless quiches. I also boil half dozen eggs and cube some hard cheese. I can bag up an egg, cheese and I like dried cranberries for an on the go breakfast.
    I've tried doing those crustless quiches so many times, and I like them the day I make them. But refrigerating or freezing them gives them a texture that I cannot stand at all when I try to eat them later on. I usually go with hard boiled eggs and veggies separately instead.