Project Runway, Season 15

Comments

• I would rather have seen Natalia go.  Still, maybe Jenni can swing her own line somehow.
  • I thought that Natalia was certain to get the auf, with that poorly finished jacket.  Had Jenni been able to be more decisive, she might have stayed.  That said, it's tough to have your mom as client.

• How Nathalie stayed with that awful outfit, I'll never understand. I was not a big fan of Jenni but I thought hers could have been tweaked and be fine. The pants fabric was interesting and I liked it combined with the top fabric. I liked her appliqué bits (the new fleurchons?) but loathed the cuffs and neckline, much too sporty and juvenile. Ditto the sloppy tee effect.

I don't think the judges were looking for anything groundbreaking here. If the pants had fit, she would've been safe. NOTHING fit in Nathalia's outfit, not the coat, not the top, not the pants and even if they had fit, it was a boring outfit.

I'm still a big fan of Erin. I'm expecting her redemption arc to start next week.

• Project Runway hair stylist commits suicide. 

so sad. It's to late to edit it end to the show, but I hope they add something in closing credits.
  • That is sad, Milaxx.

You know in the podcast how TLo said Erin was channeling Delpozo? I finally remembered to check out his collections (LOVE!) and whaddya know, searing yellow and faded mauve? check. Voluminous? check. But my favorite is her take last week on this dress.

http://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2014-ready-to-wear/delpozo/slideshow/collection#32
  • Somewhere Kenly Collins is seething. They ALWAYS called her out on being derivative and outright copying other designers.
  • I'm glad Nathalia finally got the auf.  Way overdue.
  • Nathalia was in way over her head. Seems like a nice girl, but she should have been eliminated earlier in the season.

Them aufing Dexter as well was a bit of a surprise. Not because his garment wasn't awful, it was pretty hideous, but that he's a big personality with some actual creative skill. The problems I had with him were relying too often on his style ticks and his somewhat superior and condescending attitude.

I really like Mah Jing. He seems like he'd be fun to hang out with.

Rik is my pick for winning. He seems like a thoughtful, intelligent, and mature kind of designer. I get what he was going for in his dress this week, but the execution needed more tweaking.

By the way, can they call a moratorium on design challenges inspired by NYC? Very rarely do you see a garment that really evokes all the facets of such a facinating and vibrant city. It's usually some vague thing regarding tall buildings, shiny windows, or graffiti or whatnot.
    I think that's why I liked the golf course dress Cornelius made. It was unexpected.
  • By the way, can they call a moratorium on design challenges inspired by NYC?

oh god yes. I like bright colors and pattern mixing and when Heidi says "inspired by NYC", my mind (because of course I am playing along) goes blank. From the helicopter, all I saw was brown, grey, and shades of brown and grey. Kudos to those who can be inspired by cityscapes.
  • And although NYC is such a design and fashion mecca, I would much prefer if they picked some city that was less expected. 
  • Re:  NYC inspiration:  It's never really gotten any better than Jay's Chrysler Building dress or Andre's gutter-water dress.  So, yes, we've all decided to nix the NY-inspiration theme; shall I give Tim and Heidi a call?
  • Everyone give up on this season?  Been pretty quiet here.
  • Endora88 said:
    Everyone give up on this season?  Been pretty quiet here.
    I just keep forgetting to watch because Chopped is before and during most of the show...
  • I'm still watching. Pretty underwhelmed. Hoping Fashion Week is a little more interesting. I'm really looking forward to what Laurence will show.
  • ellystar said:
    I'm still watching. Pretty underwhelmed. Hoping Fashion Week is a little more interesting. I'm really looking forward to what Laurence will show.
    Still watching.  I'm interested to see how Laurance, Roberi and Rik will do.  I'm quite over Erin's craft projects approach to fashion, but if she wins it won't surprise me.
  • Jeez, those preview collections were awful. It's like they all took crazy pills.

While Erin is a wonderful crafter, she's not a great clothing designer. Tacking something like freaking fishing lures onto the same top silhouette she's shown over and over isn't going to cut it. Of course she'll probably win.

That shiny, cheap looking fabric Roberi used was just awful. I missed seeing Laurence's chic, badass woman. Where'd she go? My favorite garment was Rik's red and blue leather dress, but his other two looks were head scratchers.

Liked seeing MK back. It was almost like old times, except for the confusing and crappy fashion on display
  • I like Erin's imagination (or purloining). She designs something outrageous for the runway and tones it down for retail, I guess that's her thinking but we never learn what anyone's end game is on this show. At least hers is fun to look at.

I didn't like any of the other capsule collections except Laurence's white pearl tshirt. I'm not convinced that Rik knows what he's doing just based on a closeup of his model's bad Twiggy imitation eye makeup. Roberi, I was sure he would get slammed for that irridescent cheap-looking organza, that stuff looked flammable. I've never got a consistent style from him though. Mostly it was all boring, exc for Erin's wacko sh*t.
  • I, too, felt disappointed with Laurence. I feel like her attempt to reflect her life through the collection was not serving her well. I would rather see a collection of the items she made for the challenges on the show, where they seemed to show a more powerful (with great legs) woman. These were more, meh.

I agree that Erin's collection is at least fun to look at.

Roberi--I like it when he does pattern mixing and funkier stuff. His more normal work leaves me uninterested.

And Rik, while he has done some lovely work over the season, is just not someone whose work "speaks" to me. I suspect his grounding in punk/mod/club is just so played out for other things I've seen--or so out of my range of usefulness, even in my alternate, imaginary life, where I'm over six foot tall and willow thin.
  • I was enjoying the season, not too much drama and some designers to actually root for, like Laurance and Roberi. But the three outfit showing was bad. They all looked lost and without cohesion.
  • Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I feel like Laurance might be able to pull it off.  When they were suggesting she basically kick it up a notch, she looked confident rather than defeated.  Hoping maybe she has an idea or trick up her sleeve.  
  • Muelonil said:
    Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I feel like Laurance might be able to pull it off.  When they were suggesting she basically kick it up a notch, she looked confident rather than defeated.  Hoping maybe she has an idea or trick up her sleeve.  
    Hi, @Muelonil.  You've just given me a little burst of hope...dammit! ;)   After last week's disappointments I'd mentally moved on to looking forward to PR Jr.   It was very relaxing there, lol.

• Muelonil said:
    Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I feel like Laurance might be able to pull it off.  When they were suggesting she basically kick it up a notch, she looked confident rather than defeated.  Hoping maybe she has an idea or trick up her sleeve.  
    I would like to see Laurance pull off a surprise and push herself. The capsule collections were by and large disappointing. I don't know why Rik was so taken with that cray-cray denim jumpsuit, but then the fashion industry has been pushing jumpsuits as well as the forced whimsy that Erin was so adept at adopting for her collection.
  • edited December 2016
    I LOVED Roberi's collection...to me it was so beautiful and interesting and fresh.

The world's turned upside down. :(

(ETA the frownie.  I'm blaming the whole thing on 2016!)
  • Another disappointing winner. Another win for mediocrity.

Roberi has the mind of an artist. That excites me because artistic minds challenge and surprise you. I hope he has a successful career.
  • Yeah. what a bore but no surprise. The winner still has a lot of growing to do. way too derivative right now. I honestly don't see that much success in the near future

then again I felt non-plus about all the collections. disappointed

Doubly so after catching the shots of the Juniors work from the first episode!
  • If her work were only mediocre or derivative Erin's win wouldn't bother me as much.  When I googled Delpozo and saw, for example, THIS.... my wish for Erin to lose was no longer simply because I personally loathe her infantilizing, crafts-project style.  That's flat-out copying.

But as soon as Nina lavished praise upon Roberi's collection but then called them "pretty dresses" – lol, you could HEAR the quotation marks in her tone – I knew what was coming.
  • Frank_821 said:
    Yeah. what a bore but no surprise. The winner still has a lot of growing to do. way too derivative right now. I honestly don't see that much success in the near future

then again I felt non-plus about all the collections. disappointed

Doubly so after catching the shots of the Juniors work from the first episode!
    I was on the fence about watching Juniors, and I mostly started watching because I was too lazy to change the channel or go to bed. I was pretty impressed by the designs, and some of the designs in the previews look pretty awesome. I think I'll keep watching.
  • Not at all surprised by Erin's win. She was the judges' pet the entire season, and she was very astute at playing the game that is PR. She seems to be creative, but has some growing to do.  

I was more sorry for Rik and Roberi, as they both took the comments on their capsule  collections and improved them for the finale.

The lengthy promos for PR Junior really turned me off. They could have done a 30 minute promo show. 
  • I went into it not really rooting for anyone but when it came down to it I was hoping for Roberi to win.  I like his collection better and I almost feel like he would have been more grateful for the win.  I know everyone has different ways of expressing excitement (I'm certainly not the type to jump up and down screaming) but Roberi in general seemed more emotional about the whole thing than Erin did. 
  • edited December 2016
    After last week's disappointing preview collections I had no idea who the winner would be but I was rooting for Roberi to win. I enjoyed how thoughtful and creative he'd been all season.

After they went to Mood, I was hoping/expecting that Laurance would pull out some of those "signature" looks she did so well all season long. The fact that she didn't even try was a disappointment.

After the final runway show I was sure Roberi had the win. I guess I should've known that craft projects would win out over pretty dresses.