The Crown

Anyone watching? I just finished episode 5, which means I'm halfway through. It has been fascinating. I am surprised how much King Edward and Wallis Simpson are in it. Looking forward to the remaining 5!

Comments

• I just watched the first episode. It's so stunningly shot and framed. The last sequence of the King and Phillip duck shooting in the fog was so evocative and beautiful.
    John Lithgow is really impressive as Churchill.
  • I just watched the first episode yesterday too.  Very good so far IMHO.  
  • I've watched the first 3 episodes. I'm LOVING It so far. 
  • I finished all 10 episodes! Amazing! John Lithgow deserves an Emmy. Can't wait for the Uncle's deep dive into the costumes.
  • Three in. Loving it. Really impressed with all the performances, and the way they really explore all the supporting characters as well as QE2.
  • Watched the first episode today. Me likey.

Poor Jared Harris. His character hung himself in Mad Men and now he's got cancer on The Crown!
  • I binged the whole season over the weekend.  There is nothing to complain about, not a single thing. Matt Smith is probably my favorite of them all.  

• I'm on episode 5. It's gorgeous and I'm loving it. But man, Prince Phillip was kind of a dick, huh? 
  • I'm on episode 5. It's gorgeous and I'm loving it. But man, Prince Phillip was kind of a dick, huh? 
    Yes
    and no.  He had to be forced to be subservient to his wife, which, in that day was not the norm. I saw his ill behavior as coming to terms with having to be in the background and often doing the "woman's duties".  That's not to say that there were some parts where he was definitely a dick outside of those parameters. 
  • I'm through episode 3 and and just amazed and how well they have done the sets, clothes and jewels. 

But I have a question for other viewers. I'm a fan of the royals so I know most of the backstory that is being presented. But I still feel like they could do a better job explaining who Louis Mountbatten is and why he's important, for example. Anyone else feeling like they are assuming a high level of knowledge by the audience?
     I think this series is going to renew interest in both Philip and Margaret. 
    Also I'm trying to determine which were the 3 fallen royal houses that Mary refers to in her letter. Clearly the Russians, but I can't figure out who the other two would be. Ideas?
  • edited November 2016
    I've seen the first episode and made up my mind not to binge watch the rest. Maybe just one episode a week, though it's going to be pretty damn hard to resist.  It's just so beautiful; the sets and costumes are absolutely amazing. And the number of top notch actors just blew me away. I don't think it's much of a leap to predict that show is going to bring in multiple awards. 

I'm totally geeking out over having a great historical drama to watch. 

Yes
    and no.  He had to be forced to be subservient to his wife, which, in that day was not the norm. I saw his ill behavior as coming to terms with having to be in the background and often doing the "woman's duties".  That's not to say that there were some parts where he was definitely a dick outside of those parameters. 
    That is more understandable. I was thinking more of his interactions with the native tribes when they were in Nairobi. 
  • Lord Mountbatten was Philip's uncle.  Here is his wikipedia page:

• Lucydevil said:
    I'm through episode 3 and and just amazed and how well they have done the sets, clothes and jewels. 

But I have a question for other viewers. I'm a fan of the royals so I know most of the backstory that is being presented. But I still feel like they could do a better job explaining who Louis Mountbatten is and why he's important, for example. Anyone else feeling like they are assuming a high level of knowledge by the audience?
     I think this series is going to renew interest in both Philip and Margaret. 
    Also I'm trying to determine which were the 3 fallen royal houses that Mary refers to in her letter. Clearly the Russians, but I can't figure out who the other two would be. Ideas?
    Would she have been referring to the Germans and the Greeks? They were all descendants of Queen Victoria, I think.
  • She might have meant Austria-Hungary.
    Yes
    That is more understandable. I was thinking more of his interactions with the native tribes when they were in Nairobi. 
    I
    Hasn't Philip been known to stick his foot in his mouth on occasion? I've also always known him to be funny, which I think is what he thought he was doing when he said that to the native tribes in Nairobi. 
  • I'm currently in Episode 4, this is my Election Night binge as I can't handle watching the election returns.

Some of the jewel recreations aren't quite right, which niggles at me because royal jewel watching is a hobby of mine, but the ones they did get right are splendid, like the fringe tiara in the first episode.  The queen's wedding dress was exceptionally well done, too.  I look forward to seeing the coronation gown.

I was seriously in tears at Queen Mary's curtsy at the end of Episode 2.  How much she lost over the course of her life, but how much dignity was in that wobbly curtsy.
  • CourtneyA said:
    I'm currently in Episode 4, this is my Election Night binge as I can't handle watching the election returns.

Some of the jewel recreations aren't quite right, which niggles at me because royal jewel watching is a hobby of mine, but the ones they did get right are splendid, like the fringe tiara in the first episode.  The queen's wedding dress was exceptionally well done, too.  I look forward to seeing the coronation gown.

I was seriously in tears at Queen Mary's curtsy at the end of Episode 2.  How much she lost over the course of her life, but how much dignity was in that wobbly curtsy.

I just finished episode 4 last night too, and I have to say the character of Queen Mary in the series is really growing on me. Old pictures of her paint her as a humorless, dour, stiff necked Royal, which Eileen Atkins gets right, but she also brings Queen Mary's intelligence, strong sense of duty and dry humor. It's a beautifully layered performance that reveals itself slowly. Speaking of episode 4, I was so fascinated by The Great Smog that I spent about an hour googling and reading about after I watched the episode.
  • I too spent much of last night watching this series. I'm really enjoying it. The episode about the  Great Smog also intrigued me. I think it was also a topic of Call the Midwife. 
  • I finished watching this over the weekend. 

Good lord, its so good. I really really want John Lithgow to get nominated for an Emmy for this and win. He's so freaking amazing as Churchill. I really need them to continue this with another season.
  • I finished too yesterday.

Apparently the budget for The Crown was 130 million. You can see every bit of that 130 million on screen. It's a stunningly beautiful show. From the locations, costumes and sheer amount of actors and extras, everything has been recreated with care, attention to detail and exuberance.

I grew up with Princess Diana as the face of the British Monarchy. She appealed to my young, romantic, shy soul so much. When she died, I really disliked The Queen. I thought she was too fussy, boring and bound by tradition. Seeing young Elisabeth portrayed so evocatively by Claire Foy, I've changed my mind completely. This is someone that has been told since she became the heir that duty, service and sacrifice of personal freedom of choice come first. It's a gilded prison. She's managed to handle it all with grace and dignity. She's one hell of Queen.

I hope Claire Foy's work is recognized as much as Lithgow's excellent work on the show. Foy's Elizabeth isn't as showy, but she manages to convey in a simple look, longing, nervousness, fear, sadness, repression, regret, joy and love. She shows us Lillibit AND Elisabeth Regina. It's a nuanced and subtle portrayal.

I also enjoyed Pip Torren's Tommy Lascelles. He managed to make him prissy yet sympathetic and annoying yet likable.
  • Semi-relatedly, has anyone been reading TLo's costume posts about the Crown? I've somehow missed 3 and now I'm deep into what I missed. 

They're so fucking brilliant.
  • @SarahBeth seriously! So much of that flies over my head when I'm watching the series, and it's fascinating what they point out.

I just finished watching earlier this week. I know not every detail of this series is historically accurate, but I feel like it's helped me understand what a royal's life is like a lot better. Did not realize that the reigning monarch had *any* role in matters of state nowadays. I also now get why Prince William waited so long to marry Kate Middleton. I used to think it was standard dude-stalling-indefinitely, but I can see now that it's a hell of a gilded cage he was asking her to live in with him, and I imagine they had to do a lot of thinking about whether both of them really wanted that.
  • SarahBeth said:
    Semi-relatedly, has anyone been reading TLo's costume posts about the Crown? I've somehow missed 3 and now I'm deep into what I missed. 

They're so fucking brilliant.
    It's interesting to go back to each episode as they are doing the costume posts.  The only thing I noticed during my initial viewing was the pearl necklaces.  I picked up that the number of strands changed all the time, but missed that it was usually based on who else they were interacting with.