Essential Holiday Films

2»

Comments

• All Mine to Give is on TCM this morning  (Sunday) at 10:30.  It may be on available on Watch TCM after that, but I can't be certain. 

Sorry about the late notice on this, but I only learned this this morning.
  • PaulaO said:
    I must be the only person who hates Love, Actually.  Hugh Grant is on my IHL.  I also loathe Meet Me in St. Louis because "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" is the saddest Christmas song EVER, although I adore the MMiSL book.
    I love Love, Actually.

Not because it is funny or romantic or anything, but I think Emma Thompson is so sublime as a heartbroken woman of an age that we don't often get to see as heartbroken. It's a fabulous representation of the way middle aged men are still seen as desirable while women of the same age are disposable except as caregivers. And Laura Linney's character is shifting into that role out of a sense of duty. So, yeah. Not a happy Christmas movie but I really appreciate the nuanced female roles. And there was a section that (regrettably) didn't make the final cut of the head mistress at the children's school caring for her partner as she was dying. 

I totally agree about Meet Me In St Louis though. It's SUCH a sad song, but I don't think I've ever heard a version that hit the tragic notes the way Judy's did.
    So agree about Emma Thompson's role in Love, Actually.  She played that so beautifully, a woman at that point in her marriage when things between her and her husband are routine, and she knows he's infatuarted with the younger woman at his office.  
    Also love Laura Linney's character acting on that sense of love and obigation to her brother-so heartbreaking.
  • Munchkn said:
    TCM should (and usually does) show All Mine to Give sometime during the holidays.  It's a gem.

@PaulaO [email protected],  if you think that the words to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" are sad now, you should have hears what they were like before Judy insisted that they be changed.  She told the songwriter, Hugh Martin,  that she could not sing those words to Margaret O'Brien.  It took him a while, but eventually he realized that Judy was right and changed them to something not so grim.

"All Mine to Give" was on this morning.  I DVR'ed it to watch later.
  • Also - Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather. Not a perfect adaptation but god I love that book.
  • Also - Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather. Not a perfect adaptation but god I love that book.
    The book is indeed awesome, one of my favorites of the Discworld series (and I love 'em all so that's saying something!). The film adaptation was decent, with some really entertaining moments, but for me it didn't quite achieve "must watch every year" status - though I admit that when it's on TV I'll generally tune in!
  • I loathe Love Actually and wrote about why I dislike it so much three years ago: http://theperennialteenager.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/love-actually.html

I stand by my sentiments today even though it turns out there is worst president than Billy Bob Thornton...
  • I actually love Love, Actually, and now I'm obsessed with the original dark lyrics to "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"!  But this year I'll stick to the goofier fare like Elf; there's too much real-world stuff to get depressed about.
  • While the show has some sad moments, I don't miss Meet Me in St Louis whenever its on. It's been one of my favorite movies since I was a little girl. The costumes, the setting, the atmosphere..all of it, I love the show. There are some things in it that remind me of old pictures of my great grandmother and family. I remember my grandmother as well talking about some stuff like the ice truck bringing back memories for her. When Judy Garland sings Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas it always gets me and I think it is one of her most beautiful film moments ever.