The OA

Man oh man - my hubby and I started watching this on Netflix, knowing nothing about it. We're two episodes in, and I love it already. It has a hint of Stranger Things about it, but also a bit of X Files. It is COMPELLING. Anyone else watching it? What do you think?

Comments

• I added it to my queue but I'm currently binging The Killing, so it's going to have to wait a bit. 
  • I just finished it last night. I loved it.

It's wacky, strange, compelling, moving and hopeful. There are some things about it that when you're first introduced to them, you shake your head in amusement, but gradually I found myself falling for it hook, line and sinker.

For instance,the modern dance as a means to open dimensional doors, sounds damn silly on paper, but by the very end, I wanted to get up off my couch and start moving along with the characters.

I loved Phyllis Smith's performance. It was fun to see her play such a different character than on The Office, and I thought she really conveyed her characters arc from a disaffected, lonely, checked out middle aged woman, to an open, hopeful, fiercely protective badass.
  • edited December 2016
    I just started today. I'm up to episode 4. So far I am loving it.
    Just finished. Loved it!
  • Interview with Ian Alexander who plays Buck. 

*Slightly spoilery if you haven't finished watching.
  • Milaxx said:
    Interview with Ian Alexander who plays Buck. 

*Slightly spoilery if you haven't finished watching.

I read that interview yesterday. What an amazing kid. I'm becoming slightly obsessed with The OA. I'm lurking on message boards reading fan theories about the mysteries of the show. After the shit show of 2016 and my bout with a depressive episode in autumn, it's really wonderful to watch a compelling show that's about hope, love, the beauty of mystery, and the power of enduring trauma and not only surviving it, but transcending it. I dearly hope we get a second season. Brit Marling has said in interviews that they've mapped out the story for three seasons.
  • I was wondering if there was more story to tell. If they do get a second season, I it captures the same magic of the first.