Fences

I saw the revival of this with Denzel Washington and Viola Davis years ago. Last week I saw the movie adaptation. It's a wonderful, powerful movie. I encourage all my BK's to go out and see it.  Denzel  made a wonderful translation of the play to film.I remember last year Tom talking about watching Brooklyn and how that was basically his father's experience set to film. Fences felt like my grandparent's lives. It was such a beautiful film I wept at the end. I rarely go see a movie twice, but I need to see this one again.

Comments

• I'm looking forward to seeing it and watching for my colleague & his son as extras. I'm not sure how well known August Wilson is in other parts of the country? His name is an intrinsic part of Pittsburgh and his old neighborhood, the Lower Hill, was decimated in the 1960's to make way for the Civic Arena. It's sad. The area sunk into urban blight, despite being a prime location between downtown and Oakland (where the universities are). The Arena was demolished a few years ago, and the neighborhood is being redeveloped with housing & retail for multiple income levels. Of course, the original feel and fabric of the Hill District is gone. Same sad tale as many cities. Come to think of it, the premise of a neighborhood in decline & gentrification is itself a typical American story that would be an interesting backdrop for a family drama.
  • I will likely see it, though I can't imagine anyone can top A.C. Smith as Troy Maxson.
  • I have long known about August Wilson. Likely because his plays are Broadway favorites and Philly is close enough to make a day trip to NYC a fairly regular thing.

I've seen clips of James Earl Jones as Troy, who is always fantastic. Denzel was good in the revival, but to be honest I thought Viola Davis stole the show with her performance. In the movie they come off as more evenly matched. I think the movie version allows you to feel more of Troy's pain and inadequacies.
  • Sorry to have missed this thread earlier!

I loved the movie. Viola Davis was SLAYING. The acting as a whole was great but she just grabbed me and wouldn't let go.

I knew who August Wilson was before the movie came out only because I'm a crossword fanatic and I feel like I've entered his name a few times? But I'm not much of a theater geek -- I can probably count the number of plays I've seen live on both hands -- so I hadn't actually seen any of his works before this.

I'm a fan.
  • Sorry to have missed this thread earlier!

I loved the movie. Viola Davis was SLAYING. The acting as a whole was great but she just grabbed me and wouldn't let go.

I knew who August Wilson was before the movie came out only because I'm a crossword fanatic and I feel like I've entered his name a few times? But I'm not much of a theater geek -- I can probably count the number of plays I've seen live on both hands -- so I hadn't actually seen any of his works before this.

I'm a fan.

Denzel has plans to make more of his plays into movies. I love his writing. I think some of the plays have been recorded and aired on PBS.