Sci Fi recomendations

I've been on a major sci fi binge this week. So far I've watch OA, the Sense8 Christmas special and I just finished 3%. I'm looking for more. Give me your Sci Fi recommendations. If they are available on a streaming source, please list which one. Foreign or domestic, I don't mind dubbed or sub-titled movies. 

Comments

• Babylon 5 (start to finish) was just amazing....(also the fact that they had a begining , middle and end helped, unlike a lot of tv shows)
  • I could never get into Babylon 5. Maybe I'll give it another try.
  • We've been watching Star Trek TOS on Netflix. Quite a few I had missed.
  • I've always found Babylon 5 a bit of vanity piece. I liked it but when it first came on it did not hold my interest. when i came back to it I was amazed. The issue is that B5 is intentionally structured like a novel. That's what the creator bragged about it. But that structure is both what makes it appealing and what is at the heart of its weakness

Season 1 and Season 5 serve as the respective prologue and epilogue. Because of that season 1 is hard to get into and Season 5 feels a little dis-satisfying as it spend several episodes just setting things up for a sequel that never comes

When you get to Season 3 and 4, the show seriously kicks ass. The show is designed as a metaphor for World War II and the politics and social climate that was going on. That's really not that much of a spoiler.

J Michael Straczynski was pretty determined to make this epic happen, however he ran into some conflicts with regard to some actors. Becuase of this some plot developments were forced to be re-worked. Despite this the good outweighs the bad. There are some brillant moments of writing and acting on the show
  • Frank_821 said:
    I've always found Babylon 5 a bit of vanity piece. I liked it but when it first came on it did not hold my interest. when i came back to it I was amazed. The issue is that B5 is intentionally structured like a novel. That's what the creator bragged about it. But that structure is both what makes it appealing and what is at the heart of its weakness

Season 1 and Season 5 serve as the respective prologue and epilogue. Because of that season 1 is hard to get into and Season 5 feels a little dis-satisfying as it spend several episodes just setting things up for a sequel that never comes

When you get to Season 3 and 4, the show seriously kicks ass. The show is designed as a metaphor for World War II and the politics and social climate that was going on. That's really not that much of a spoiler.

J Michael Straczynski was pretty determined to make this epic happen, however he ran into some conflicts with regard to some actors. Becuase of this some plot developments were forced to be re-worked. Despite this the good outweighs the bad. There are some brillant moments of writing and acting on the show
    I agree- the scene where the planet is being 'bombed back into the stone age'- the look on the (aliens) face is still so brilliantly devastating...

The actress who played the telepath I believe? Mess with
    J Michael Straczynski and have your character screwed with :)

I think they had to write in a broken arm (the actor broke it shooting a scene)...Nice to see Billy (Lost in Space) Muny... the love/hate of the 2 ambassadors was wonderful... took me awhile to like Giribaldi (kept thinking he was a wannabe Bruce Willis) but then really liked him.

Oh! when the 'shadows' are finally revealed! CHILLS- it was like the figured out what a nightmare looks like and MADE it real. wow.

There was (is?) a wonderful sight called the Lurkers Guide to Babylon 5 that really got into it and explained some of the nuances/subleties.. (like 'who are you' as a recurring theme) and some of the easter egg goodies (I think this was before easter eggs were a thing?) really helped- the show could get a wee bit obtuse.

I think the later show (the Rangers?) was a big let down (was it planned to be longer or something?)....
  • You guys have convinced me. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks to netflix I have discovered that some shows fare better with me if I binge Besides I really need something to take my mind off losing George Micheal. Not sure why this one has me all weepy.
  • edited December 2016
    Hi, @Milaxx   Just wondering if you’ve seen Brit Marling’s other films, the ones she co-wrote/produced and starred in?  We liked all three:  Another Earth,  Sound of My Voice and The East.  I’ll definitely look in on OA because of Brit – my husband is a sci-fi fan, but I’m not at all, so it’s fun when we find things like that to share.  I lost him for a whole week once while he binge-watched Battlestar Galactica, lol.

But you’re looking for TV series to stream, not movies, is that right?  We saw and really enjoyed the first season of a French series called Les Revenants (subtitled) which is currently streaming on Netflix.  There is a season 2, also available on NF, but things became TOO sci-fi for me at the very end of season 1 and I lost interest.

(Oops:  I see that it’s listed as "supernatural drama," not sci-fi, on Wikipedia!  Huh.  Anyway...if the description happens to sound interesting to you, easy enough to look in on E1 S1 and see if it suits your mood.) :)
  • I just started Travelers on Netflix, is about time travel/taking over host bodies, really love it so far (just on second episode)
  • Dr. Who  - its not on Netflix anymore, maybe Amazon Streaming? And we've been watching Farscape which is kind of a cross between Dr Who and Star Trek. 
  • @WinterWhite - I have her other projects on my watch list. Already watched the first 2 season of Le Revenants. I too lost interest, especially after the 2 US remakes.

nolakent - Currently watching Travelers.

@Sarabeth - I'm an old school Whovian. I've seen all the Doctors. I watched Farscape faithfully during it's initial run.

Great recommendations everyone. Keep em' coming!
  • If you haven't watched The Man in the High Castle, I strongly recommend it. (Amazon Prime). It's alternate history more than sci-fi except for a very specific element that is evident more in the second season.
  • I just finished the season of Travelers (and I rarely binge-watch); I really liked it.
  • What about Buffy or The X-Files?
  • if you haven't seen it already, Battlestar Galactica is good. I can't recall why I didn't watch it when it was first broadcast, but it was nice being able to watch all of the seasons without commercials on Netflix. I think Hulu is streaming it now.   
  • nolakent said:
    I just finished the season of Travelers (and I rarely binge-watch); I really liked it.

Just finished Travelers. I liked it a lot more than I expected to . Do you know if it got a second season? 

I also watched Crazyheads. Today I'm catching up on Vikings although it's not a sci fi show. Next week is back to reality so I may try and find one or two more shows to binge.
  • edited December 2016
    Milaxx said:
    nolakent said:
    I just finished the season of Travelers (and I rarely binge-watch); I really liked it.

Just finished Travelers. I liked it a lot more than I expected to . Do you know if it got a second season? 

I also watched Crazyheads. Today I'm catching up on Vikings although it's not a sci fi show. Next week is back to reality so I may try and find one or two more shows to binge.

I haven't found word online of whether or not more seasons are planned yet. But I did see that the creator of the series, Brad Wright, was the executive producer and writer of all 3 Stargate series, and that a number of directors and actors from all 3 Stargates are involved with Travelers, so it's got good credentials.
  • I think I'm going to check out some Korean series to night. I need something a little bit weird.