Classical music kittens?

Comments

• violina23 said:
    - Dvorak: His late symphonies are to DIE for. I'm playing #9 in one of my orchestras right now. My husband proposed to me on stage after one of my orchestra concerts during which we played #7, so that one always gives me tingly feelings. The Slavonic Dances were one of my favorite things to study to in college.
    @violina23 LOVELOVELOVE 7. One of the first big orchestral works I got to play. I haven't touched my viola since I was in college but I've been in love with that piece since I was 16 and I always will be!
    The first complete symphony I played was Schubert's 1st symphony when I was a freshman in high school. The piece still makes me smile and wax nostalgic even though he wrote it when he was 16 and it showed! (Perfectly pleasant, but somewhat juvenile).
  • Zoeg, I LOVE Gilbert & Sullivan. How many times have you watched the film "Topsy Turvey?"
  • What a great thread! I play the violin and the harpsichord (and I've dabbled at other instruments including the mandolin). Love baroque and chamber music. One of my favorite pieces (too many to list here) is Giuseppe Domenico Scarlatti: Sonata for Harpsichord in A Major, K.208.

• Awesome, Lorenzo! Violin and harpsichord! :) I am a classically trained pianist. The Greig Piano Concerto in a Minor is a personal favorite.

As far as symphonic words: I love Tchaikovsy's 5th - great piece. Also - Mussorsky's Pictures are an Exhibition.

And all things Mozart. Not so much as a performer, but I could listen to Mozart for hours. I find it soothing.

• Just when I thought I couldn't love TLo more! I'm jealous of your harpsichord skillz. I did my obligatory 10 years of piano lessons but I was never very good at it.

I wish I were a soprano, because I have recently discovered Faure's Melodies and they are gorgeous.
  • Now I'm imagining a TLo Christmas as Tom hanging up the final, impeccably appointed decorations while Lorenzo plays carols on the harpsichord and the kitten interns lounge around, occasionally batting at a low-hanging tree decoration...
  • I love Mozart's Requiem in D Minor - that has gotten me through many a paper that I am trying to finish, or grading that I need to get done before grades are due. I would play it in a room where there was a lot of tile so it would echo and I felt that my death was on the horizon if I didn't finish it.

I really like a lot of Beethoven, and I love Dvorak's later symphonies as well.  I enjoy singing Handel's Messiah still, and love when our choir director gives us some classical pieces - for instance, at Easter we have done Vivaldi's Gloria in Excelsis Deo which is a lot of fun.

• edited March 2015
    @Lorenzo -- Ooh, harpsichord and Scarlatti, just one more reason to love you!  My two favorite keyboard instruments for listening are organ and harpsichord.  We did "Sheep May Safely Graze" from BMV 208 and I played recorder with harpsichord.  I was in heaven!

With all of these musicians, we need to host a BK concert!
  • edited March 2015
    @Lorenzo -- Ooh, harpsichord and Scarlatti, just one more reason to love you!  My two favorite keyboard instruments for listening are organ and harpsichord.  We did "Sheep May Safely Graze" from BMV 208 and I played recorder with harpsichord.  I was in heaven!

With all of these musicians, we need to host a BK concert!
    I was just thinking that we had two violinists and a (very very lapsed) violist, and if we had a cellist there could be a Bitter Kitten Quartet. (HAHAHA JK NO. I really have no idea what would happen if I tried picking up a viola after 17 years away from it.)

ETA: One of my favorite classical music jokes: The definition of a string quartet is one good violinist, one bad violinist, one former violinist, and one guy who doesn't even like the violin.
  • edited March 2015
    Bitter Kitten Quartet! I LOVE IT! hahahaha.  Sometimes I wish I had invested more time in learning the viola better, I love the rich tone/quality.

I was never very good at piano either, although I studied it for 8-9 years. For some reason the ability to process and execute both hands at the same time was something I could never quite master. If the dynamic was different in the left hand and right hand I physically COULD. NOT. DO IT.

I do not know much Scarlatti, but I will see if I can find that piece, thanks @Lorenzo, and everyone else for the tips
  • @Lorenzo That's so wonderful! I love baroque music too, and, as a baby coloratura soprano, find it's some of the most fun stuff to sing! The coloratura action in baroque arias can be craazy. One of my favorite harpsichord pieces is Bach's Italian Concerto.

And yes! We do need a Bitter Kitten Concert!
  • @ellatheingenue baroque music is certainly fun! I've been listening a lot to some Rameau the last week or so. All this talk of music and concerts is making me want to get back to playing and having fun with it. 

I've lost track of all the instruments we have available in the kitten orchestra now... 
  • edited March 2015
    Tannhauser last night at Lyric.  Johan Botha as Tannhauser, Amber Wagner as Elisabeth.  Fabulous despite a somewhat goofy set.
  • *sigh* My parents (used to) tease me. I am one of the 16 people out there who does not like classical music. Never have.
  • I love Sibelius.  His music is just a big wash of noise and I'm really into that.  

I fell in love with classical music as a kid from watching cartoons.  What's Opera Doc? is still one of my favorite cartoons ever and it's probably the reason why I love Wagner's music so much. 

@violina23 Les Preludes will always remind me of Taz and the Pterodactyl.  The piano concerto will always be Tom & Jerry, and as for the controversy, I think that one came first because Bugs Bunny hardly ever had an antagonist.  Plus, they animated Tom's hands on the right keys!  You know, I really I wish I was loaded so I could animate the Pines of Rome properly and erase the bad acid trip that was flying whales and nonsensical cuts.  

I wish people would give opera a chance.  It's so screwed up I think it would really appeal to folks if they just stopped thinking it was high brow.  I just don't get how people can listen to simplistic shit with bad singing and be annoyed by opera.
  • Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade is one of my favorites.  If I need to work for a long uninterrupted jag, I will just play it over and over.  Very exotic.  A total escape.
  • @alloyjane the Bugs Bunny at the Symphony series is coming to the NY Philharmonic next month! I haven't decided whether to go or not.

@ellatheingenue I tell myself that difficulty singing melismas is the only thing keeping me from a solo career. (Ha. It's not.)
  • I don't know how I missed this thread until now! I'm a violinist with a couple of so far very unusable music degrees, and classical music is the love of my life. Debussy, Ravel, and French impressionist music has to be some of my favorite-I adore both of their string quartets (and, btw, I'd totally be in on a BK String Quartet!). I also have been really into 20th century American composers, specifically Bernstein, Copland and Gershwin.

@violina23 have you heard the Rachel Podger Bach Sonatas and Partitas? It's my go to recording.
    I'm also a huge Punch Brothers fan, and couldn't be happier that Chris Thile has released the first of the two-part Sonatas and Partitas on the mandolin.
  • alloyjane said:
    @violina23 Les Preludes will always remind me of Taz and the Pterodactyl.  The piano concerto will always be Tom & Jerry, and as for the controversy, I think that one came first because Bugs Bunny hardly ever had an antagonist.  Plus, they animated Tom's hands on the right keys!  You know, I really I wish I was loaded so I could animate the Pines of Rome properly and erase the bad acid trip that was flying whales and nonsensical cuts.  

I wish people would give opera a chance.  It's so screwed up I think it would really appeal to folks if they just stopped thinking it was high brow.  I just don't get how people can listen to simplistic shit with bad singing and be annoyed by opera.
    re: Flying Whales, ROFL, that was the trippiest thing I ever saw.... I remember seeing it in Imax when Fantasia 2000 came out, and just sitting there like "WTF did I just watch?"  It's a shame because I thought they did a STUNNING job with Rhapsody in Blue, and even the Firebird Suite (which, unlike the original Fantasia with Rite of Spring, they at least were smart enough to edit down)

I'm weird with opera -- I love a lot of the MUSIC itself (overtures, etc) but operatic singing... it just rubs me the wrong way, never quite got to me at my core the way classical can.  Some of it (individually) I find beautiful, but 2-3 hours just wears me down. Strangely enough, I have a similar opinion of jazz. I can only take it in small doses...
  • edited March 2015
    Emster said:

@violina23 have you heard the Rachel Podger Bach Sonatas and Partitas? It's my go to recording.
    I'm also a huge Punch Brothers fan, and couldn't be happier that Chris Thile has released the first of the two-part Sonatas and Partitas on the mandolin.
    No, but I will look for it!

One of my college orchestra friends also plays mandolin, and he was dabbling in the Sonatas/Partitas for fun on the Mandolin. He was doing the fugue from the G-minor Sonata, and it was so fun to listen to. I'm going to have to see if he's aware of this recording! (He probably is...)

On a semi-related note, one of my orchestras performed a full orchestra orchestration of the Chacconne from the D-minor partita. I thought it was going to be too heavy (and maybe it was, to a degree) but it worked really well and was suprisingly fun. Didn't hurt that the same concert also included the Brahms Violin Concerto & Beethoven's 7th symphony, so I might have been on a music-high in general :)
  • Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade is one of my favorites.  If I need to work for a long uninterrupted jag, I will just play it over and over.  Very exotic.  A total escape.
    YES! 
  • edited March 2015
    Now I'm imagining a TLo Christmas as Tom hanging up the final, impeccably appointed decorations while Lorenzo plays carols on the harpsichord and the kitten interns lounge around, occasionally batting at a low-hanging tree decoration...
    Oh my goodness. If there were ever kitten interns, I would apply for that
  • edited March 2015
    @alloyjane I love Sibelius! This is one of my favourites. (It's not the best recording, as the tempo seems to drag too slowly, but the others are too fast, I think)
  • ellatheingenue And here I thought I knew all his music.  I've never heard that one!  I wish I still had all my CDs to check if that's on any of my Sibelius recordings, but alas.  My nephew took a baseball bat to my collection when he was 2 years old.
  • I have no musical talent and don't know a whole lot about "classical music", but when I need to jam through work and have a heavy deadline, listening to Mozart (especially Requiem) gets me through it.
  • GeoDiva said:
    .  .  .  when I need to jam through work and have a heavy deadline, listening to Mozart (especially Requiem) gets me through it.
    Mozart gets me through just about anything!  Honestly, if I were told "you can listen to only one composer's work for the rest of your life", I'd pick Mozart. 
  • I enjoy some classical works, especially when I get to hear them performed live - which happens more often than it used to since my nephew took a degree in classical music; we get piano concertos in the background of many family gatherings now {wry grin}.  I am fortunate enough to have friends who sometimes treat me to tickets to the Boston Symphony; most recently we heard Michael Gandolfi's "Ascending Light" for orchestra and organ, a recent work, which was truly magnificent.
  • edited August 2015
    @vulfturner Thanks for the recommendations! My choirmaster loves Bach and always tells us to sing it in an almost jazzy way.

@PlethoraofBooks My choir sang Haendel's Messiah this semester, I had never seen the church fill up as quickly as it did on this day. Our choirmaster was especially stressed about the Halleluja - it's so well-known that you really have to sing it impeccably.

I love baroque music, especially Haendel and Purcell. I especially recommend "Ombra mai fu" by Haendel and "The cold song" by Purcell, both sung by Andreas Scholl (though I don't know if I prefer him because he is excellent, or just because I'm most used to his recordings). Mozart's Requiem is also one of my favourites.

For anyone who understands French, there is a fun Youtube video by a someone named linksthesun, intitled "Point culture sur la musique classique".
  • I really want to start listening to Chopin. I'd go with my brother to see his friend compete in a yearly Chopin competition and I always enjoyed the music.

Plus, playing a really weird video game where you're in a magical world that's actually Chopin's dying fever dream slightly influences my interest.
  • my parents tease(d) me about my dislike of classical music. I tried to explain my brains rejects it (I like jazz), oh well.