The "Cheer Me Up" Foodie thread

Was tweeting with Chris Kluwe (former Minnesota Vikings punter, activist, author) about his brownies tonight, and some of his followers and I started exchanging brownie recipes because we're all going to need a little chocolate in these uncertain times.  So I'll post my favorite brownie recipe here, and the two someone sent me, and hopefully we can all share the very yummiest blues-eradicating recipes we have!

http://ladyrockess.blogspot.com/2017/01/because-we-all-need-little-chocolate.html
^ my recipe

http://thebeeroness.com/2016/03/23/chocolate-covered-strawberry-stout-brownies/

http://thedomesticrebel.com/2013/10/05/dark-chocolate-red-wine-brownies-deadbolt-winery/

Comments

• edited January 26
    You interacted with Chris Kluwe - I might actually die from jealousy! I *love* him. No feelings at all on sport, but I love his nerdery and activism. And body. 

Chocolate isn't my comfort food. I tend towards the boiled eggs & toast/ mashed potato and gravy family for when I am feeling really low. But these white chocolate cranberry blondies are blissful:

Cranberry
    blondies 

Makes
    25 small or 9 large 

200g
    butter, plus extra for tin 

300g
    good quality white chocolate, chopped 

medium eggs 

150g
    caster sugar 

1/2tsp
    pure vanilla extract 

200g
    plain flour 

Pinch
    of salt 

1tbsp
    grated orange zest 

100g
    dried cranberries 

Icing
    sugar for dusting 

Heat
    the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Lightly butter an 18 x 28cm baking tin
    and line the base with greaseproof paper. In a heatproof bowl set
    over a pan of barely simmering water, melt the butter with 150g of
    the white chocolate, whisking well until smooth. Remove from the heat
    and allow to cool slightly. 

In
    a separate bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla together until
    pale. Beat in the melted white chocolate mixture. Fold in the flour
    and salt, then the remaining chopped chocolate, orange zest and the
    75g of the cranberries. Pour into the baking tin and strew the rest
    of the cranberries on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is
    firm and the inside is still a bit soft. Leave to cool in the tin.
    Cut into small or large squares, dust with icing sugar and serve. 

@page { margin: 2cm }
    p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm }
  • Odd formatting. Sorry
  • You interacted with Chris Kluwe - I might actually die from jealousy! I *love* him. No feelings at all on sport, but I love his nerdery and activism. And body. 

Chocolate isn't my comfort food. I tend towards the boiled eggs & toast/ mashed potato and gravy family for when I am feeling really low. But these white chocolate cranberry blondies are blissful:
    We've tweeted a couple times and I love it.  He's super cool and down-to-earth although his swearing can be an eye opener lol!  Do you follow him on twitter?

Chocolate is my go-to when I'm down but what I really crave is latkes or mac n cheese.  Oh goodness.  The mac n cheese!  I actually don't like cranberry much, but those blondies do look good...

I was actually at a restaurant in Houston called "Jus' Mac" (for obvious reasons) a couple months ago and had their "armadillo bowl" - cream cheese macaroni and cheese with diced jalapeno and bacon, topped with parmesan and breadcrumbs and toasted.  It was one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth and I need to replicate it.

Anyone got a good cream cheese macaroni and cheese recipe??
  • I do follow him on twitter, but because of time zones we're not often awake at the same time.

You can sub dried sour cherries for the cranberries. Just as good. Or chunks of dried apricot. Needs to be something with a bit of bite.
  • Jus' Mac needs to get in my belly pronto!
  • Gemfemme said:
    Jus' Mac needs to get in my belly pronto!
    http://www.jusmac.com/index.html

Here's their menu if you want to drool.  I seriously need to determine how to make at least half of this menu!!
  • I found a cream cheese mac and cheese recipe!!!  I've adapted it to add
    in jalapenos and bacon and will give it a twirl this weekend I think.  I
    was going to make buffalo chicken lasagna, but those ingredients are
    expensive so I'll buy a couple of those ingredients this week and make
    this for my lunches instead.

Armadillo Mac n Cheese

Ingredients:

1 lb(s), Elbow Macaroni

3 T., Butter

8 oz, Cheese, neufchatel

16 oz Tillamook (grated)

4 slice(s), Bacon, chopped

1 tbsp flour

3 cup, 1% Lowfat Milk

8 whole, Jalapeno, diced

Directions:

Directions

1. Spray a 9x13" glass casserole dish with cooking
      spray.
    2. Set aside.
    3. Cook the pasta according to package directions, in a
      large pot.
    4. Drain, rinse, and return to the large pot.
    5. Set aside.
    6. Put chopped bacon in frying pan, sautee over high heat.
    7. Add diced jalapeno and cook till peppers are soft but
      not mushy.
    8. Set aside.
    9. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
    10. Add the flour, and cook until bubbly (about a minute).
    11. Add the milk slowly, stirring after each addition and
      cook until slightly thickened.
    12. Add the cream cheese, again stirring until completely
      melted.
    13. Season with salt.
    14. Remove from heat.
    15. Carefully pour the cream cheese mixture over the pasta,
      stirring gently to combine.
    16. Add the shredded cheddar cheese, stirring to combine.
    17. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish, top
      with bread crumbs if desired, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

12 servings

325 calories per serving (21 g fat, 16 g protein, 17 g carbs)

• Good lord I'm going to have to stay away from this thread. Leaning on food for comfort will be my downfall. I'm struggling with getting back to the gym on a regular basis. So far I've managed to get in 1 day a week.
  • Milaxx said:
    Good lord I'm going to have to stay away from this thread. Leaning on food for comfort will be my downfall. I'm struggling with getting back to the gym on a regular basis. So far I've managed to get in 1 day a week.
    Haha yeah.  I lost 20 pounds since October and today I'm having a frozen pizza and cheez puffs.  But I'll go for a walk today and if I portion control I should be able to have the yummy stuff without killing my diet.
  • 'leaning on food for comfort' ends on Thursday. Will be really interesting when I wake up Thursday afternoon in a 'whole new world' for food (no more eating for 'fun' or depression, anger, happy, lonely, tired, sad, a day of the week that ends in 'y' or... Curious. (2 weeks of liquids, 4 weeks of 'soft'). Thank god(s) for therapy :)
  • 'leaning on food for comfort' ends on Thursday. Will be really interesting when I wake up Thursday afternoon in a 'whole new world' for food (no more eating for 'fun' or depression, anger, happy, lonely, tired, sad, a day of the week that ends in 'y' or... Curious. (2 weeks of liquids, 4 weeks of 'soft'). Thank god(s) for therapy :)
    You can still enjoy food, even on a strict diet.  I've had some days where I eat 1,100 calories and I still had a delicious round of meals.
    You can still enjoy food, even on a strict diet.  I've had some days where I eat 1,100 calories and I still had a delicious round of meals.
    A friend (who became a friend over a shared love of food) had this surgery a while ago and she said you really can't. It's not like a normal diet where you can really enjoy a well-composed low calorie meal.

The process of feeling uncomfortably full after a tiny amount of food seems to completely change your mindset.

Ta-da!  I haven't tasted it yet but it looks alright.  Next time I must use the biggest pot I own so I can mix the ingredients properly rather than letting it overflow from my biggest (and flimsiest) bowl.
    A friend (who became a friend over a shared love of food) had this surgery a while ago and she said you really can't. It's not like a normal diet where you can really enjoy a well-composed low calorie meal.

The process of feeling uncomfortably full after a tiny amount of food seems to completely change your mindset.

I had sleeve surgery 2 years ago. Even more challenging I am a vegetarian. You can indeed eat a "normal" meal. You will however, eat very small portions. I went to lunch today with friends. I had an appetizer, portabello burger (Ate half the bun, left the fries) ordered an IPA drank about a third of it. Got  my dessert, took one bite, put it in a to go bag for later. That's not a typical meal, but I can go out and socialize like normal. I know my full level and stop before I get to that. 
  • I like beverages for comfort.

Hot cocoa: 1:1 ratio of sugar to cocoa, mix about 3 tbs with a bit of milk in a mug to form a paste, fill the rest of the way with milk, microwave for 2 minutes (my mom whisks it to get rid of any settled bits, but I just stir).

Hot chocolate: 5 oz quality milk chocolate bar, 5 oz quality dark chocolate bar (you can do 10 oz of dark if you like, but don't do 10 oz of milk, way too sweet!), process in a food processor until it starts to clump. Let it dry out for about an hour. 2 tbs per about 8 fl oz of milk. You can do it stovetop, but I like to put the chocolate in my french press, pour almost scalded milk over the top, let it sit for a couple minutes, and then pump the press like crazy. It foams up so much, and it's so rich and good. DO NOT USE SKIM MILK.

Thai tea: Pour 6 cups of boiling water over 8 black tea bags and 1 slightly crushed star anise pod. Let steep 5 minutes (or per tea instructions). Remove the bags and star anise. Stir in 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk, and 1/2 cup evaporated milk. You can serve it directly over ice or let it chill first. Word of warning, you can buy Thai tea powder on amazon or an asian market to get the orange color you see in restaurants, but that is the same food coloring that Kraft removed from its mac and cheese. Some people try to say it's the tea's natural color. That is a lie. I use breakfast blends or assam for mine because I am a little bit of a tea snob.
  • That hot chocolate sounds so decadent!!
  • My favorite hot chocolate recipe: http://jimdrohman.com/blog/2013/10/11/chocolat-chaud/

I'm not a chocoholic by any means, I typically crave maple/cinnamon/nuts/fruit type of sweets. But this recipe calls my name periodically. Especially on a cold winter day.