Self Care Friday's

Comments

• I started a new knitting project this week and bought yarn for a crochet project yesterday. I put some mindless tv or a podcast on in the background and enjoy the process. I'm also trying to make myself get out and meet people. We just moved here and I don't have any new friends yet. I've been going to a weekly yoga class and I'm going to try to go to the knitting group tonight at the yarn shop. Making new friends as an adult is hard. 
  • Hiking with my dogs is a big stress reliever for me.  At the beginning of the year, I signed up to volunteer to help build a new hiking trail at a local land trust that is doing some good conservation work.  I've never done anything like this before, so I am learning something new, getting outside, and spending one Saturday morning a month with some interesting folks.   

I'm also trying to unplug in the evening with a book, or at the very least watch some British period dramas before I go to bed.  The Crown, Victoria, and the Lucy Worsley Six Wives of Henry VIII have been pleasant distractions.

• Scout said:

Hiking with my dogs is a big stress reliever for me.  At the beginning of the year, I signed up to volunteer to help build a new hiking trail at a local land trust that is doing some good conservation work.  I've never done anything like this before, so I am learning something new, getting outside, and spending one Saturday morning a month with some interesting folks.   

I'm also trying to unplug in the evening with a book, or at the very least watch some British period dramas before I go to bed.  The Crown, Victoria, and the Lucy Worsley Six Wives of Henry VIII have been pleasant distractions.

Building a hiking trail sounds awesome!

I went for a walk the other day when I was thoroughly stressed and upset and a woman walked up to me and started asking me "where the trails were" as we were standing on it.  I mumbled something about how they're all cement and tried to get away.  She was all, "What?" and I cracked and yelled about how I don't like talking to strangers and speed-walked off. 

Now I'm not sure about going for my walks - I love them, and it's nice to see kids running around and playing on the playgrounds next to the trail, but I cannot stand people just coming up to me and assuming I'm willing to talk.  How can I de-stress when my walks have become a stressor???
  • Scout said:

Hiking with my dogs is a big stress reliever for me.  At the beginning of the year, I signed up to volunteer to help build a new hiking trail at a local land trust that is doing some good conservation work.  I've never done anything like this before, so I am learning something new, getting outside, and spending one Saturday morning a month with some interesting folks.   

That sounds so good!

I can't with Lucy Worsley. I don't know what it is about her but even though I find the stuff she talks about fascinating I find her unwatchable.
  • Scout said:

Building a hiking trail sounds awesome!

I went for a walk the other day when I was thoroughly stressed and upset and a woman walked up to me and started asking me "where the trails were" as we were standing on it.  I mumbled something about how they're all cement and tried to get away.  She was all, "What?" and I cracked and yelled about how I don't like talking to strangers and speed-walked off. 

Now I'm not sure about going for my walks - I love them, and it's nice to see kids running around and playing on the playgrounds next to the trail, but I cannot stand people just coming up to me and assuming I'm willing to talk.  How can I de-stress when my walks have become a stressor???
    Headphones?
  • Headphones?
    Thing is I don't want to listen to music.  I want to let my mind wander and hear the birds singing and the wind whistling.  It's part of the soothing effect I get from the bike trail.

I could put earbuds in with nothing playing, but they hurt my ears and my ears have been hurting anyway - cleaned them last night and there was a TON of wax, and blood, so hopefully now that my ears are clean the headaches will get lost.

It was too cold to go for a walk yesterday.  I'll risk it today and see how it goes.  I should also really go to the gym.  My body hasn't been processing this stress well and I feel like shit.  Maybe the gym would give me a physical/mental boost.

• That sounds so good!

I can't with Lucy Worsley. I don't know what it is about her but even though I find the stuff she talks about fascinating I find her unwatchable.
    God, me, too. I think it's whatever speech impediment she has. It drives me insane. I did power thru the Wives thing, but man, she bugged the whole time. Plus, I found her to be not very historical. She kept insisting that, in *her* opinion, this is what Queen X was REALLY thinking. Uh, no. You have no way of knowing that. None. 
  • Doing better on the eating front, but still slacking on the gym. Made it once this week. Going tomorrow. Bag is packed and by the door. 
    Stray kitties love the upgraded shelter. Thankfully the snowstorm wasn't that bad.
    Marathoned HTGAWM today just to try ad catch small clues before the season finale. Overall mostly stayed away from negative social media.
    It was a good, stress free day.
  • I found a lovely little tea shop and apothecary today after yoga. I spent way too much money on teas, herbs and crystals. I wish it was closer but probably a good thing that it isn't! 
  • Tea sounds lovely. I'm a die hard coffee drinker but every so often I love a nice cuppa.
  • Feel like I've been falling off the wagon lately. Getting more stressed than can possibly be healthy. I'm going to try and limit social media this weekend since I have a wedding and an Annversary party to attend. 

How is everyone else doing?
  • Tomorrow is the day for self care. The new is making me crazy and Iv'e been in the house all week because of the snow. Tomorrow is Starbucks and whatever else I can get into.
  • Milaxx said:
    Tomorrow is the day for self care. The new is making me crazy and Iv'e been in the house all week because of the snow. Tomorrow is Starbucks and whatever else I can get into.
    Tomorrow I'll be watching Iron Fist all day - may go get a frozen pizza because it's my spring break.
  • Milaxx said:
    Tomorrow is the day for self care. The new is making me crazy and Iv'e been in the house all week because of the snow. Tomorrow is Starbucks and whatever else I can get into.
    Tomorrow I'll be watching Iron Fist all day - may go get a frozen pizza because it's my spring break.

Did you like Iron Fist?
  • Milaxx said:
    Milaxx said:

Did you like Iron Fist?
    It was fine.  There was very clearly more than one writer on the show, and the whole thing felt rushed...lots of plotlines were dropped because the show was so crammed with ideas.

Lots of people were upset with the "shitty" martial arts, and while I know next to nothing about them, for a guy who is the chosen superior fighter from a warrior monastery who beat up a dragon to earn the Iron Fist, he sure had a lot of problems taking on thugs in NYC.  But a friend of mine - got his PhD in folklore and has been studying martial arts since he could walk - is in ecstasies about the show.  Says it was exactly how kung fu should be, and that of course Danny had trouble with thugs because he's just a regular guy without powers, just a strong fist when his chi is aligned.  He also despises the other three series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage) because they were too dark, gritty, and violent, which is not the point of Marvel comics.  Allegedly.
  • Milaxx said:
    Milaxx said:

Did you like Iron Fist?
    It was fine.  There was very clearly more than one writer on the show, and the whole thing felt rushed...lots of plotlines were dropped because the show was so crammed with ideas.

Lots of people were upset with the "shitty" martial arts, and while I know next to nothing about them, for a guy who is the chosen superior fighter from a warrior monastery who beat up a dragon to earn the Iron Fist, he sure had a lot of problems taking on thugs in NYC.  But a friend of mine - got his PhD in folklore and has been studying martial arts since he could walk - is in ecstasies about the show.  Says it was exactly how kung fu should be, and that of course Danny had trouble with thugs because he's just a regular guy without powers, just a strong fist when his chi is aligned.  He also despises the other three series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage) because they were too dark, gritty, and violent, which is not the point of Marvel comics.  Allegedly.

I mostly hated it. One of my issues with the fight scenes was they looks slow and clumsy rather than crisp or fluid. It's clear that Finn Jones has neither martial art nor dance training. Contrast his scenes with Colleen Wing or even the Lewis Tan (The drunken fighter).I kept saying that it looked like the choreographer's blocking more than actual fight scenes and then I found out Finn Jones had ~15 mins prep for the fight scenes. It shows. I disagree with you friend's take on DD, JJ & Luke Cage, not just that they were too dark. Danny got the title Ironfist because he killed the dragon after training for 15 years. That's a little more than an ordinary guy with powers. Ironfist felt very scattered, as if they wanted dark moments ( Madam Gao, the Meachum family storylines) but couldn't convincingly portray them. Overall it felt like this was rushed because TPTP wanted to include Ironfist into The Defenders. 
  • Milaxx said:

I mostly hated it. One of my issues with the fight scenes was they looks slow and clumsy rather than crisp or fluid. It's clear that Finn Jones has neither martial art nor dance training. Contrast his scenes with Colleen Wing or even the Lewis Tan (The drunken fighter).I kept saying that it looked like the choreographer's blocking more than actual fight scenes and then I found out Finn Jones had ~15 mins prep for the fight scenes. It shows. I disagree with you friend's take on DD, JJ & Luke Cage, not just that they were too dark. Danny got the title Ironfist because he killed the dragon after training for 15 years. That's a little more than an ordinary guy with powers. Ironfist felt very scattered, as if they wanted dark moments ( Madam Gao, the Meachum family storylines) but couldn't convincingly portray them. Overall it felt like this was rushed because TPTP wanted to include Ironfist into The Defenders. 
    Yeah they really rushed it too much.  I would've preferred he turn up in the Defenders and then get his own story later once his origin was established.

Finn Jones posted on Instagram the other day they wrapped on filming the Defenders already.  Wow!  I'm still so excited for it, and hope it comes out soon.

Did you have a good Friday today?  I didn't get nearly enough done, but the Affordable Care Act stays in place, so I'm in a very happy place because of that right now :)

Next step, single payer!
  • Oh, and Ward Meachum was the best character.  Tom Pelphrey did the most incredible job [SPOILER] showing the descent over the edge of addiction, and his strange, flawed redemption.  I didn't like the sister nearly as much.  Talk about unresolved issues!

And all those flashbacks with the plane crash...if they were trying to align Danny Rand with PTSD (basically being Tony Stark Lite), then it makes sense, but it didn't really seem that that's what they were going for.  Just all that crap about his chi being polluted by anger.
  • The government didn't succeed in killing me so yes Friday was good. I read of a plan that repairs ACA/Moves it closer to single payer on twitter. *fingers crossed*

I have the flu all week and my fever finally broke so I treated myself to a cakepop.  Otherwise all is well.
  • I loved Emerald City. I thought they really enhanced and expanded the original world of L. Frank Baum. Of course, it might not get a second season, which seems to happen to show I fall for.

I hope you feel better Mila.
  • Gemfemme said:
    I loved Emerald City. I thought they really enhanced and expanded the original world of L. Frank Baum. Of course, it might not get a second season, which seems to happen to show I fall for. I hope you feel better Mila.

I loved Emerald City too. I guess it will end up like Pushig Daisies and Wonderfalls. Odd, but short lived shows.
    I'll survived, but man, is this big sapping all my energy! Thanks for the get well wishes.
  • So...with everything going on in the world I think I need a self-care Tuesday.  Do y'all have any low cost, low calorie suggestions?
  • I'm a fan of sheet masks (or any kind of face mask) and 80s cartoons on Netflix. 
  • Loud music and painting my nails.
  • I had some Good N Plenty's and watched Murder, She Wrote.  It helped a little.
  • I find yoga or the gym is a huge stress reliever and self-care. Also, getting a manicure

I'm sharing this here because it made me laugh my ass off and I feel much better.
  • So cute.... so funny!
  • Angus snuggling always does it for me (my dog...)

• I haven't been doing well at self care at all. Eating like crap and I haven't been to the gym in a month. The twitter boycott has actually been good for me. Not quite as stressed. I think I'm going to plan a day away from twitter regularly and try ti get to the gym tommorrow.