Good luck, Bearish

Comments

• I bought & read Dr Voung's book & some of the info was SUPER helpful (even tho my dr & his staff are ON POINT as well). He talked about microwaving food & how that draws the moisture out & makes it (esp seafood) more rubbery & chewy & harder for us.
    Good for you for the haircut! I always thought you were a handsome man, but you're even more handsome now! :)
    Here are some things I've tried & liked: Quest brand chocolate caramel pecan bar, think thin chocolate pnut butter bar (kinda liked), halo top ice cream (WEIRD texture, but aight), and chocolate macadamia lenny & larry cookie.

Do you or @Freynika like Crystal light?

My surgery is one week from today!!!

---notes..
    POACH foods, don't microwave them! (or nuke them IN liquid...) I had a NASTY stuck ep from nuked fish- it was like RUBBER (I should have known NOT to eat it...(not nearly as tasty coming back up as it did going down)...
    --be careful on the Quest bars- they now taste too super sweet now (your taste buds WILL CHANGE (be warned! :) )
    --I will NOT eat Halo Top (ice cream is/was an old BINGE food (I would eat a 1/2 gallon a day (sometimes too, if it was on sale...2? :( )

try the PB2 (peanut butter powder) a fave item (was) premiere bananas and cream protein shake + sf choc pudding mix + PB2 powder...orgasmic. like cheesecake!!!! (and mix and match flavors...white choc pudding mix, caramel or choc premiere, etc...) great way to get in protein!!!

as to Crystal Light- too sweet for me (now). I really really like(d) the Stur blueblackberry...(was) yummy...ditto the iced tea mix(es). Now I only drink Propel water(s). My goal is 3 a day. period.

best of luck.
  • We drink a ton of Crystal Light in my house. Mostly my husband, but I like some of them, too. My problem is that it always gets warm before I'm done, and I don't like it warm. Lots of flavors are too sweet, but I like the pomegranate and fruit punch. I find that 1/2 a packet is enough for a 16-ounce bottle of water. I don't like my water to taste overly flavored. My favorite was Metromint water, but I can't find it anywhere anymore. Really great flavors with no sweetness.

I didn't even know Premier Protein made anything but chocolate/vanilla/strawberry. Maybe I should start getting mine from GNC instead of relying on Target.

For bars, I prefer Luna bars. They've got a decent-ish amount of protein, and no weird texture. I can't deal with anything with the consistency of an Atkins bar - blech! I really leaned on Luna bars during my pregnancy and it's just stuck. My kids will eat them, too.

I took my vitamins today (some of them, anyway, have to wait a couple hours to take my Ds)! Trying to get back on track. I'm at 18 ounces of water and over 30 grams of protein. Not great, but not terrible.
  • Halo Top ice cream is okay in a pinch, but I'd rather have a little of the real stuff, as long as my stomach keeps tolerating it. I tried the strawberry flavor, but was disappointed that there were no actual strawberry bits in it. I like my ice cream with stuff in it. It was my first choice for binge food, too. It's still hard to walk past when I see 3/$10 on Haagen Daaz or B&J. Now I just buy an extra box of popsicles.
  • Freynika said:

Halo Top ice cream is okay in a pinch, but I'd rather have a little of the real stuff, as long as my stomach keeps tolerating it. I tried the strawberry flavor, but was disappointed that there were no actual strawberry bits in it. I like my ice cream with stuff in it. It was my first choice for binge food, too. It's still hard to walk past when I see 3/$10 on Haagen Daaz or B&J. Now I just buy an extra box of popsicles.

if I 'must' have a 'sweet' my go to is simply the dark choc sf pudding cups- one is more than enough (I guess I could sprinkle PB2 in it, but meh... I had a (nother) bad experience with sf fruit cups, so they may rot in the fridge... tried some canteloupe today (precut) but soooo filling (ugh) only ate 1/4 of a lb (if that)...sigh

2400 calories today, 88g protein 50oz water (goal is 2250,115,60 MINIMUM

discovered/got cashew pieces...calorie dense + protein (and NOT sick of it (YET)... but I can 'feel' all the salty food I have been eating feels like it is eating a hole in my stomach..

did get some black bean chips...good fiber, better quality but the texture is a bit..thin? but okay with pimento cheese..
  • Freynika said:

We drink a ton of Crystal Light in my house. Mostly my husband, but I like some of them, too. My problem is that it always gets warm before I'm done, and I don't like it warm. Lots of flavors are too sweet, but I like the pomegranate and fruit punch. I find that 1/2 a packet is enough for a 16-ounce bottle of water. I don't like my water to taste overly flavored. My favorite was Metromint water, but I can't find it anywhere anymore. Really great flavors with no sweetness.

I didn't even know Premier Protein made anything but chocolate/vanilla/strawberry. Maybe I should start getting mine from GNC instead of relying on Target.

For bars, I prefer Luna bars. They've got a decent-ish amount of protein, and no weird texture. I can't deal with anything with the consistency of an Atkins bar - blech! I really leaned on Luna bars during my pregnancy and it's just stuck. My kids will eat them, too.

I took my vitamins today (some of them, anyway, have to wait a couple hours to take my Ds)! Trying to get back on track. I'm at 18 ounces of water and over 30 grams of protein. Not great, but not terrible.

--I take 3 bariatric multivitamins in the AM + and iron tablet (am/was? anemic), then 3 calcium citrates the rest of the day (the iron messes with the calcium citrate (or something like that) so...
  • Thanks you two!! I do like the Luna bars as well. Re: ice cream, I had a dietician say to me one time: would you rather have one really good cookie or 2-3 'better for you' ones that taste like poo (my word)?! So yeah, rather a bite or 2 of real ice cream than a bowl of halo! WORD. I got my Premier shakes at Costco, $18 for $25!!! They don't have all of the flavors tho. Good job yesterday LBA! on getting the calories, protein & liquid in! :)
    Do either of you do B12? I'm starting w that Nascobal package (basically, vitamins are free & you pay for weekly B12 nasal spray; $50/mo)?
  • DrSparkles, yeah, I do B12. It's just a tablet I put under my tongue once a day. It never dissolves completely, so I chomp it down with my 2 multivitamins. I also take an extra 4,000 units (10 caplets, 5 in the morning/bedtime) of Vitamin D and a couple calciums during the day. I've got Vitron C tablets, but I can't stand them because they make everything (including my saliva) taste like grass for the next 12 hours.

Bearish, are your calorie/protein goals because of your height? My goal is 700-800 calories (I rarely keep track), 60-90 grams of protein, and 48 ounces of water.

I need to get my Costco membership back. It was nice to get a case of Premier Protein in my preferred flavor to have around, and about $.80 apiece cheaper than Target. I suppose I could look at Amazon, too.

I do have to say I'm saving a ton of money on food. I bought a container of marinated mozzarella balls and heirloom cherry tomatoes at Trader Joe's last weekend, and it lasted for a few lunches, then I just bring leftovers to fill in the gaps. I used to spend $10 on lunch most days. Even when I stock up on stuff for home, it's cheaper, not including protein shakes. Even when I do go out, I usually spend under $5, since soup is pretty cheap.
  • Freynika said:

DrSparkles,
    Bearish, are your calorie/protein goals because of your height? My goal is 700-800 calories (I rarely keep track), 60-90 grams of protein, and 48 ounces of water.

I do have to say I'm saving a ton of money on food. I bought a container of marinated mozzarella balls and heirloom cherry tomatoes at Trader Joe's last weekend, and it lasted for a few lunches, then I just bring leftovers to fill in the gaps. I used to spend $10 on lunch most days. Even when I stock up on stuff for home, it's cheaper, not including protein shakes. Even when I do go out, I usually spend under $5, since soup is pretty cheap.

Yes, I think men tend to get more protein (in WW they did) and like I said, I am 6'5", size 16 feet (I am..huge).
    Btw- was anyone able to see my pic(s)?

So confused on food- I keep buying/wasting food. I kept thinking deviled eggs sounded 'eatable'. Oh god(s)... I got 3 halves down and spit the 4th one out. Ugh (Angus *LOVED* the other 2 btw). Tasted like...rubber washers? my stomach feels like a big angry knot.
    My therapist is working (hard) to find someone to work with me on my food crap... the thought of food just makes me cringe/scared/sick to my stomach. I keep trying to 'graze' and..nothing. I look at food...hoping.. but *nothing*
  • I saw your pics & commented (I think) & I've also been eyeballing you on that fb group site :)
    What about scrambled eggs? Chili?
  • I saw your pics & commented (I think) & I've also been eyeballing you on that fb group site :)
    What about scrambled eggs? Chili?

nope...burned out on 'one egg salad' (or 2 egg) about...1?2? months ago? chili? meh...I was doing 'chiii juice' for awhile (the liquid from wendys chili) about...a year ago?) I got down about a cup? of canned chili 3 or 4 weeks ago, once. (I can't do 'heated' food, my stomach 'flinches'...I have a bad problem with my fear/kneejerk 'reaction'(s)
  • Bearish - you're about the same size as my husband, but he's one of those skinny people (although he's put on a stomach in the last couple of years). You're not that big. :) I like tall guys who know how to not be intimidating about it (a supervisor of 18 years was finally made to resign, not least of which is how he intimidated people physically because he was a big guy).

I tried egg salad last week - HATED it. I didn't make it myself, got it from the fancy grocery store. I figured if it was going to be good anywhere, it'd be there. I've never been a fan of deviled eggs, either. I guess I really just don't like the texture of boiled egg whites. I'll take my eggs scrambled or over easy, thank you.

Chili is one of my go-tos, but I have to make sure not to put in too much sour cream or cheese. Last time I did that it made me sick. Wendy's is okay, but I prefer the one I make at home. I freeze it in single servings to bring for lunch.
  • Bearish, so sorry you're going through all that.
  • Freynika said:

Bearish - you're about the same size as my husband, but he's one of those skinny people (although he's put on a stomach in the last couple of years). You're not that big. :) I like tall guys who know how to not be intimidating about it (a supervisor of 18 years was finally made to resign, not least of which is how he intimidated people physically because he was a big guy).
    ---I have *NO* idea how tall I am...I STILL look around in a group and think, 'good grief' am I *really* this/that tall??' I think/guess?? I intimidate folks and have *NO* idea that I do (I also scowl and look VERY uncomfortable in crowds/groups (severe PTSD, etc) and I know that is very very off putting to people (hence being single all my life + I do *not* read 'gay' to anyone)...

I tried egg salad last week - HATED it. I didn't make it myself, got it from the fancy grocery store. I figured if it was going to be good anywhere, it'd be there. I've never been a fan of deviled eggs, either. I guess I really just don't like the texture of boiled egg whites. I'll take my eggs scrambled or over easy, thank you.
    === try making it yourself....but your taste buds can AND WILL change (often)... Oh, been sort of craving deviled eggs (okay fine- it clicked in my brain and did not make me want to puke at the thought of it- like most every thing these days (so very very sick of this, sigh)... bought some- and OMG...gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the texture was like...rubber washers?? (I think whoever made them forgot to put any and all seasoning in it...I got 3 1/2 down but sprayed the last one out..ugh.

Chili is one of my go-tos, but I have to make sure not to put in too much sour cream or cheese. Last time I did that it made me sick. Wendy's is okay, but I prefer the one I make at home. I freeze it in single servings to bring for lunch.

---- i simply can't make/freeze food anymore..I just get sick of it (I think its a hold over from when I wrote my cookbook, by the time I would write/create/test a recipe...I would be tired of it...(tho there were a few 'go to's for awhile (I used to make my signature banana curry dip ALL the time for functions (ugh, now just writing that...shudder lol)...

• tiny update- the anti-nausea meds are NOT working...the doc has said to double the dose...I have NO appetite/desire to eat (or drink) a cup of SF Pudding..bleh. sigh. *nothing* sounds good any more.

My therapist is calling this 'wasting', I think she is right...
  • My god! What are they gonna do?!
  • Bearish - so sorry to hear the anti-nausea meds aren't working. Which ones do they have you on? I'm on omeprazole, which is supposed to be a proton inhibitor, or something, make my stomach make less acid. I always get this feeling that my stomach mucus is really thick, which makes me need to vomit sometimes after I eat. Does your nausea come before or after you eat? Is it more of a mental issue than anything?

DrSparkles - GOOD LUCK! You're probably in surgery now or will be soon. Please update us with how it went. It's a really, really rough recovery at least for the first couple weeks. I spent 4 days in the hospital after mine.
  • got a new med (will list the type later) tried one tonight- seems 'better'?) not sure after only one dose...fingers crossed. I also ordered a new flavor of protein powder...change it up...need to try (again) adding it to 'stuff' (i.e. my 1 cup of sf choc pudding I do on occasion) but gad- even writing that makes my lips curl :( sigh
  • Y’all. I get it now. Surgery went fine, I went home the next afternoon (Thursday). Slept all afternoon & night (so no liquids then). Yesterday, I’d be up for an hour, nap for an hour. Didn’t get a lot of liquids in but got most of my meds in. Haven’t started vitamins, as I’m dreading theit nasty taste.
    I had the dry heaves Wed thru Fri & couldn’t keep down the anti-nausea meds.
    My goals for today: no nausea & more liquids. The combo of sugar-free stuff & high-protein stuff is making my mouth taste like ass!
    I’ve also been second-guessing this whole thing like a motherfucker.
  • Y’all. I get it now. Surgery went fine, I went home the next afternoon (Thursday). Slept all afternoon & night (so no liquids then). Yesterday, I’d be up for an hour, nap for an hour. Didn’t get a lot of liquids in but got most of my meds in. Haven’t started vitamins, as I’m dreading theit nasty taste.
    I had the dry heaves Wed thru Fri & couldn’t keep down the anti-nausea meds.
    My goals for today: no nausea & more liquids. The combo of sugar-free stuff & high-protein stuff is making my mouth taste like ass!
    I’ve also been second-guessing this whole thing like a motherfucker.

Glad you're home, post-op is always step by step (nurses perspective), everyone heals differently, get plenty of rest and know the kittens are with you.
  • Hooray! Welcome to the 'losers bench'....(if you are on FB there are some good support groups (just ignore/block the idiots).

trying yet another anti-nausea med now...at this point I think I might just learn to live with the constant nausea? part of life?

2nd guessing is normal. Yesterday was my 1 year 'surgiversary' and I still don't know whether I wish I had done this sh*t or not...

sip sip sip sip sip sip sip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep water EVERY.WHERE.(!). on the bed, night stand, sofa, desk, dashboard, behind my seat, fridge, trunk, countertop...

Lots of rest, this is MAJOR MAJOR surgery, give your body (and brain) time to catch up (mine has yet too...I still don't know who (or what) is in the mirror a year out...

good luck/keep us posted.
  • Thanks @GraziDiMenti & @largishbearishAtlish ! It’s 2.15 & I haven’t had a nap yet! And 4 of my lovely neighbors have stopped by! One walked my younger dog in the rain, which was a godsend.
    @largishbearishAtlish I don’t know how you do it. This nausea & dry heaves were beating me down & it was only a few days for me! I do have my little cups nearby at all times, one w gatorade, one w soup, and then my water! I sip when I wake up at night too, so I actually got in 8 oz overnight last night,
  • Thanks @GraziDiMenti & @largishbearishAtlish ! It’s 2.15 & I haven’t had a nap yet! And 4 of my lovely neighbors have stopped by! One walked my younger dog in the rain, which was a godsend.
    @largishbearishAtlish I don’t know how you do it. This nausea & dry heaves were beating me down & it was only a few days for me! I do have my little cups nearby at all times, one w gatorade, one w soup, and then my water! I sip when I wake up at night too, so I actually got in 8 oz overnight last night,

LOL- I asked one of my neighbors if she would give me a ride to the E.R. (this after I had passed out in the tub @ 2am. (I swear I can't make this sh$t up...) "I can't, I have to go to church". W.T.F. I guess she needs to go- cuz she ain't learning NOTHING...really? still floored.

If not for he best friend I would have been screwed. Only one (of 7) neighbors has even commented on the (250 lb) weight loss. (but they are all afraid of me I think, I *am* batsh*t crazy after all).

• Bearish, that's awful! So sorry you're not up north with the heathens - we'd take care of you.
  • I seem to make heterosexual female friends, NEVER gay male friends...oh well...
  • So this might be a really stupid question...but can you guys drink soda after this surgery? Or does it fill you up too much?
  • So this might be a really stupid question...but can you guys drink soda after this surgery? Or does it fill you up too much?

Nope, not unless we want a lot of pain. That said, I have had the occasional small sip. I can also drink it if it’s flat, but then there’s the sugar issue.
  • Freynika said:

So this might be a really stupid question...but can you guys drink soda after this surgery? Or does it fill you up too much?

Nope, not unless we want a lot of pain. That said, I have had the occasional small sip. I can also drink it if it’s flat, but then there’s the sugar issue.
    Gosh, that sounds like a pain :( I drink sugar-free soda all the time to fill me up without costing me calories.
  • Nope.
    A. Sugar
    B. Sugarfree artificial sweeteners
    C. Bubbles make stomach expand
  • @DrSparkles Can you ask for an anti-nausea patch? I think it's crazy for these doctors to prescribe oral anti-nausea meds for someone who can't keep anything down. I've definitely been there myself with this - still am on occasion. I question the doctors/nurses judgement sometimes if they haven't been there themselves. It's got to be dangerous for you to be dry heaving so soon after your surgery. I can't believe they let you out so soon - I was in for 4 days with mine.

Buyer's remorse is normal. I've still got it 5 1/2 months later. As long as everything heals normally, you should feel more like yourself in 4 months, or at least that's how long it took me. I still look at some foods and want to put as much in my mouth as I can, as fast as I can, but you'll learn pretty quick that you'll regret it. One slip-up will teach you pretty quickly, at least in the early stages.

I forget, did you get the sleeve or the roux-en-y?

Once you figure out your vitamins, it won't be so bad. I actually like most of mine, but it took some trial and error. I'll list out my brands when I get home and can take a look at the bottles. I carry my pills around in a Ziploc so I don't have an excuse not to take them.

@largishbearishAtlish - you're serious about your neighbor? I don't think even Christ himself would have told her to go to church when she had an opportunity to help someone in need. It's shocking how un-Christ-like these people can be, and yet wave their big Christian flag nonetheless.

I'm getting sick of the comments on my weight loss. I'm okay with talking about it with some people, but I feel like it's not even most people's business. Yeah, I know I look a lot better, but I don't care to be judged on my looks. My mom judged my looks all my life and I'm just fucking done with it. I'd rather take a compliment on something I did, not something that was done to me. I consider this surgery to be the latter. One of the reasons I like going out to do things alone is I can be anonymous and nobody bothers me about it. My weight struggle has always been a deeply private thing for me and I prefer to keep it that way.