I'm playing the Minimalism Game

I've been using a work hiatus to focus on cleaning out my small home. Too much stuff...way too much stuff. I've been through the closets numerous times and each session I find more to remove. A friend and I are encouraging each other and have started to play the Minimalism Game.

We watched a documentary on Netflix called The Minimalists. It focuses on two men who, in their 30s, decided to drastically reduce their possessions. I read somewhere that the average person has 300,000 belongings. The Minimalism Game is what they advise people play to start consciously choosing to streamline. It's Day 5 and I ridiculously excited about divesting myself of the excess.

It's easy to play: Day One I get rid of one thing. Day Two, two items. Day Three...you get the point. It's going to get tough around Day 25 for me but I'm committed to making it to the end.

The hardest part will be not bringing new items in unless truly needed. The two questions my friend wants me to ask myself: Does it bring me joy and does it add value? When I'm honest with myself, it's amazing how little I really need.

I say this now but it'll be interesting to see what happens when I don't have the perfect eyeshadow shade for an outfit because I jettisoned a lot of makeup!

Comments

• @Pafuchi I love the look of a minimalist home but it just isn't me. That being said, I am trying to acquire less stuff. And we're moving this year so I really need to consider whether I need to keep clothes that haven't fit me in almost 10 years.
  • Several years ago I read the book by those guys; the basic principles are applicable to non-minimalist environments as well by reducing the "noise" of clutter.  I also enjoyed The Magical Art of Tidying, which is incredibly helpful both with paring down as well as organizing.
  • I haven't followed the Minimalism Game, but I've been on a downsizing/simplifying journey for the past several years. It started with divorce and having to sell the martial home, and it picked up steam after my parents passed away. Sorting through their stuff with my siblings was an arduous task, and I don't want to leave my kids with a similar burden. There's something so liberating about clearing out the unneeded. 

• @Pafuchi I love the look of a minimalist home but it just isn't me. That being said, I am trying to acquire less stuff. And we're moving this year so I really need to consider whether I need to keep clothes that haven't fit me in almost 10 years.

I totally get it. I'm not trying to get down to any specific number of things but rather simply to derive joy from everything I do own. I'm trying to get rid of the extraneous and it's easy in some ways...totally difficult in others. I've barely touched the kitchen because I know that will be the most difficult. Good luck!
  • nolakent said:
    Several years ago I read the book by those guys; the basic principles are applicable to non-minimalist environments as well by reducing the "noise" of clutter.  I also enjoyed The Magical Art of Tidying, which is incredibly helpful both with paring down as well as organizing.

Someone else mentioned that book. I'll have to see if a friend has it or I can get it from the library. Thanks!
  • edited March 2017
    I don't follow specific rules or such, but I regularly go on "minimising binges", where I go through my stuff and get rid of everything I don't really need/want/use anymore. It always feels great. Just did it again last week, actually.

However, I do allow myself to have quite a lot of clothes (shoes, bags, jewellery, etc.), because it's truly my passion. But even there, I regularly give away items I haven't worn in a long time, and try to only keep the pieces I really love.