Open Chat 78 - St Patricks Day edition

To all Irish and Irish-for-the-day Kittens, Slainte!

I am not remotely Irish and it just isn't a big deal here. In my family it was just the-day-before-my-grandmother's-birthday.

Comments

• Little rainbows and beer? So cute! Well I am packing for my big trip tomorrow. Just need to get through work today and then its 10 days of vacation in SE Asia!
  • I used to HATE St. Patrick's day in elementary school. Idiotic boys would take special delight in pinching as hard as possible even if you were wearing green.

Our city has been inspired by Chicago tinting the Chicago River green on St. Paddy's Day, so this year we'll have a green river too.
  • GeoDiva said:
    Little rainbows and beer? So cute! Well I am packing for my big trip tomorrow. Just need to get through work today and then its 10 days of vacation in SE Asia!
    Whiskey jello shots, apparently!

Have a lovely holiday!
  • @Gemfemme that sounds so cool!  I'm also not a huge fan of St Paddy's - it had it's moment, when I was in my early 20s and could be a drunk obnoxious fool.  But I didn't like it before that stage of my life and I don't like it now that I'm out of that stage
  • Hi gang!

I know I've been totally off the radar for months. Life is just busy. It's the usual stuff, work, music, family. It's all good. Still love my job and we're now into our second season with me as conductor of the chorale and they still seem to like what I'm doing. 

I actually took a day off and am killing a bit of time while the plumber installs my new bathroom sink. YAY! I'm stupid excited about it. I hope folks are doing well and I'm sorry I disappeared. I'll try to at least check in every couple of Fridays.

Take care of each other and stay fabulous Kittens!
  • I'm just chilling at home watching Iron Fist.
  • edited March 2017

I am not remotely Irish and it just isn't a big deal here. In my family it was just the-day-before-my-grandmother's-birthday.
    Your grandmother has the same birthday as my Uncle Pat, whose full name is Patrick Joseph because he was born the day after St. Patrick's Day and the day before St. Joseph's feast day. We recently discovered that March 18th is St. Cyril's feast day, a fact that my grandmother evidently didn't know otherwise Uncle Pat would be Uncle Cyril. One of my other uncles has taken to calling him Cy just to annoy him.

Yeah, so obviously we're super-Catholic. Also we're mostly Irish so St. Patrick's Day has always been a big deal in my family. I've never done the young-drunken-idiot thing though, I just wear green and have some Jameson or Guinness with dinner instead of my usual beer. Tonight I'm thinking about making Irish Mules.
  • Haha! Patrick Joseph got off lightly.
  • Gemfemme said:
    I used to HATE St. Patrick's day in elementary school. Idiotic boys would take special delight in pinching as hard as possible even if you were wearing green. Our city has been inspired by Chicago tinting the Chicago River green on St. Paddy's Day, so this year we'll have a green river too.
    I've seen references to the pinching thing. What's that about?
  • @foodycatAlicia If you don't wear green on St. Patrick's Day, you get pinched. I have no idea where it came from, but it's what we do in the US. And like @gemfemme said, in school it's a cruel way for kids to pinch the snot out of each other. 
  • That's taking things a little far.
  • That's taking things a little far.

Elementary school boys can be sadistic little shits.
  • The pinching wasn't really a thing where I grew up, I actually hadn't heard of that "tradition" until college.
  • I'd never heard of it till college either.  And I'm not a fan of it.  It's just another reason for people to police what other people wear and it drives me up a wall.  My engagement ring is emerald - and I hang out with like actual adults - so it's not a huge thing for me.

My parents kitchen is being demolished today so I'm stuck in the living room while I work.  I was really hoping to be able to sneak into the laundry room before they get here (I have a basket of clothes to put away) but alas - I procrasinated too long.
  • Back from my walk.  Need to settle down to work now and man do I want to do nothing except enjoy the incredibly beautiful spring day outside!
  • We had lunch with embarrassingly generous friends yesterday. Not only did they pick up the tab for lunch (which I was assuming we'd split, and it was hellaciously expensive because we drank ALL THE BOOZE), they'd come over from Spain and brought us a shoulder of Jamon Iberico as a gift. That's 200 euro worth of ham. And they kept saying it was out of gratitude for the times when they've stayed with us... seriously guys, we washed your sheets twice. THIS IS NOT EQUIVALENT.
  • We had lunch with embarrassingly generous friends yesterday. Not only did they pick up the tab for lunch (which I was assuming we'd split, and it was hellaciously expensive because we drank ALL THE BOOZE), they'd come over from Spain and brought us a shoulder of Jamon Iberico as a gift. That's 200 euro worth of ham. And they kept saying it was out of gratitude for the times when they've stayed with us... seriously guys, we washed your sheets twice. THIS IS NOT EQUIVALENT.
    I totally sympathize with the feeling awkward about generosity, but those sound like awesome friends.  "Oh hai, was just in Spain, thought you'd like the most expensive ham in the world as a gift."

My kind of peeps!
  • Let's see...so far I've had breakfast, gone for my walk, wrote my to-do list, checked my email, started virus scans on both laptops, taken out all the trash upstairs and downstairs, did the dishes, tidied the apartment, fed the birds and the squirrels, went through the pantry and tossed anything expired...oh.  There's only actual work left on my to-do list?  Damn.
    I totally sympathize with the feeling awkward about generosity, but those sound like awesome friends.  "Oh hai, was just in Spain, thought you'd like the most expensive ham in the world as a gift."

My kind of peeps!
    They are ridiculously lovely.

I'm not a particularly effusive person, so having someone telling me I am wonderful for 2 hours is unexpectedly tough. But it is very validating.
  • A man just insisted on buying my lunch at Wendy's, despite me repeatedly telling him I cannot sit and eat with him, and I'm married, and no, we cannot meet up for lunch another day.  Like, cool, free salad.  But, no, please do not speak to me.  I'm still uncomfortable and I've been back in the office for a few minutes
  • @jealousofBelle I'm sorry for your run in with a horrible man.  I'm sure it did freak you out and rightfully so.  
  • Thanks @TravelingDesign.  It probably wouldn't have been so bad (he was polite, other than the continuing to push) except I'm SO anxious and awkward in public I hate when ANYONE talks to me, much less someone trying to hit on me!
  • Thanks @TravelingDesign.  It probably wouldn't have been so bad (he was polite, other than the continuing to push) except I'm SO anxious and awkward in public I hate when ANYONE talks to me, much less someone trying to hit on me!
    Yeah I'm not thrilled about random men talking to me either.  It's less scary if it's women though, for me at least.

Yea, let's not make excuses for gross men. He was rude, under the guise of attempted flattery.  If it happens again you could say "You're being rude and it's making me uncomfortable". I'm really sorry he did that to you.  
  • Got a lot done today, which is good.  Just have to finish my poster now...and I've run out of steam :L  Going to work on some fiction for a bit to see if it helps.

I've also gone for a walk (first thing this morning to get my blood circulating) and had healthy breakfast and lunch, been drinking plenty of water, and have all the windows open to get fresh air and light into the apartment.  Getting a lot checked off my to-do list is good and I'm listening to classical music because it's supposed to improve cognitive function.

Come on brain!  We can finish this ish!
  • Is this still our open chat?  I CANNOT with my brother and his finacee today.  They were supposed to get married last summer.  Pushed it back to this summer b/c he was overseas and they wanted to plan together.  Then they pushed it back to Sept b/c she hated the venue they chose - they moved the wedding from NJ to PA.  Then pushed it back to Nov b/c their venue gave them a better deal.  NOW they're pushing it back to Dec and moving it to NY b/c her parents are offering to pay - but she's having a four hour gap between the ceremony and cocktail hour.  

1) Stop moving your wedding and ACTUALLY PLAN IT

2) I know this may just be a me-thing, but I fucking hate gaps.  They're so annoying.  Not only do I need to find something to do for FOUR HOURS (I'm in the bridal party but pictures shouldn't take four hours, come on), but this moves the whole thing from being "bring a babysitter to hang in the hotel with the kids for a few hours" to being "probably leave them home OVERNIGHT with a babysitter (which we've never done) OR have BB miss the wedding".  Which is irritating
  •  NOW they're pushing it back to Dec and moving it to NY b/c her parents are offering to pay

Too bad the parents did not offer instead to pay for the happy couple to elope!

• Is this still our open chat?  I CANNOT with my brother and his finacee today.  They were supposed to get married last summer.  Pushed it back to this summer b/c he was overseas and they wanted to plan together.  Then they pushed it back to Sept b/c she hated the venue they chose - they moved the wedding from NJ to PA.  Then pushed it back to Nov b/c their venue gave them a better deal.  NOW they're pushing it back to Dec and moving it to NY b/c her parents are offering to pay - but she's having a four hour gap between the ceremony and cocktail hour.  

2) I know this may just be a me-thing, but I fucking hate gaps.  They're so annoying.  Not only do I need to find something to do for FOUR HOURS (I'm in the bridal party but pictures shouldn't take four hours, come on), but this moves the whole thing from being "bring a babysitter to hang in the hotel with the kids for a few hours" to being "probably leave them home OVERNIGHT with a babysitter (which we've never done) OR have BB miss the wedding".  Which is irritating
    That sounds seriously annoying.  I'm trying to help my sister plan her wedding (I think I found her a venue, which is awesome, hope it works out)  but she definitely isn't acting like THAT.

Based on my limited child-caring knowledge (5 years of babysitting) I think it'd be a lot easier on the kids to leave them at home with a babysitter for a night, and a LOT easier on you and BB to do a wedding (with a four hour gap!!) in NY(C?) with just the two of you to worry about.

Can you suggest to your bro that a 2 hour gap will cover photographs and travel nicely, and not make things awkward for the guests?
  • edited April 2017
    Is this still our open chat?  I CANNOT with my brother and his finacee today.  They were supposed to get married last summer.  Pushed it back to this summer b/c he was overseas and they wanted to plan together.  Then they pushed it back to Sept b/c she hated the venue they chose - they moved the wedding from NJ to PA.  Then pushed it back to Nov b/c their venue gave them a better deal.  NOW they're pushing it back to Dec and moving it to NY b/c her parents are offering to pay - but she's having a four hour gap between the ceremony and cocktail hour.  

That sounds seriously annoying.  I'm trying to help my sister plan her wedding (I think I found her a venue, which is awesome, hope it works out)  but she definitely isn't acting like THAT.

Based on my limited child-caring knowledge (5 years of babysitting) I think it'd be a lot easier on the kids to leave them at home with a babysitter for a night, and a LOT easier on you and BB to do a wedding (with a four hour gap!!) in NY(C?) with just the two of you to worry about.

Can you suggest to your bro that a 2 hour gap will cover photographs and travel nicely, and not make things awkward for the guests?
    The problem is that the ceremony venue (church) can't do anything later than an 1130am ceremony, and the reception venue (I have no idea how or why this venue was chosen) won't do anything earlier than 5:30.  The *original* plan was to have the ceremony and reception in the same space, but suddenly that's not OK.  I'm trying to help this poor child but she will.  not.  listen to me.  Seriously, there's no reason why their plans for a Nov wedding at a country club near where THEY live won't work.
    The problem is that the ceremony venue (church) can't do anything later than an 1130am ceremony, and the reception venue (I have no idea how or why this venue was chosen) won't do anything earlier than 5:30.  The *original* plan was to have the ceremony and reception in the same space, but suddenly that's not OK.  I'm trying to help this poor child but she will.  not.  listen to me.  Seriously, there's no reason why their plans for a Nov wedding at a country club near where THEY live won't work.
    Wow, yeah, no.

Is the bride one of these Kleinfeld Princesszillas?  I don't know how to get through to them.  My sister is trying to do everything in a way that will be the most fun (especially for her, since she, Mom, and a couple of friends are doing all the catering) for the least money.  My help has mostly been looking up venues (I found a good one, I hope she gets it/it works for her, but I don't see why it wouldn't) and suggesting recipes/wines.  She's easy to talk to about it, and knows this is about as much as I can help given that I'm 1000 miles away.