Songs/Albums you Must sing along with.

We have a scan the dial stop thread, this is the next step. My brother pretty much knows if he plays Beatles White Album or Carol King Tapestry I MUST Sing Along and he will use this power. Other songs/albums that remove your personal agency and compel an immediate sing along, this kitten wants to know.

Comments

• edited March 19
    Any & every B52 song.
    7 nation army.
    Any Queen song.
    Thunderkiss 65
    Sugar, sugar
    Joey
    Uncertain Smile & This is the day
    Rehab
    Gypsies, teamps & thieves
    Love Crushing
    All of Love Hysteria, Deep & Holy Smoke

Who am I kidding? Anything on First Wave & 2/3 of Lithium!!
  • Any & every B52 song. 7 nation army. Any Queen song. Thunderkiss 65 Sugar, sugar Joey Uncertain Smile & This is the day Rehab Gypsies, teamps & thieves Love Crushing All of Love Hysteria, Deep & Holy Smoke Who am I kidding? Anything on First Wave & 2/3 of Lithium!!

I can relate to a lot of these, some I don't know, and one is my most feared earworm.
  • 7 nation army?
  • 7 nation army?

Oh gosh no, if only my earworms were so cool. I can't say the name of song or hum/sing it near said brother 'cuz it is also earworm for him. And I try to always use my powers fit good.
  • Any & every B52 song. 7 nation army. Any Queen song. Thunderkiss 65 Sugar, sugar Joey Uncertain Smile & This is the day Rehab Gypsies, teamps & thieves Love Crushing All of Love Hysteria, Deep & Holy Smoke Who am I kidding? Anything on First Wave & 2/3 of Lithium!!
    Good list.

Also, anything on Bat out of Hell.
  • edited March 19
    Albums: Janet Jackson-Rhythm Nation (pretty much all her songs, but especially RN)
    Lady Gaga-The Fame Monster
    Amy Winehouse-Back to Black
    Not an album, but my RuPaul playlist on Spotify
    Songs: Madonna-Into the Groove
    Carly Rae Jensen-Call Me Maybe
    One Direction-What Makes You Beautiful
    CeCe Peniston-Finally
    Kylie Minogue-Love At First Sight
    Robin S-Show Me Love
    B-52s-Roam
    Robyn-Dancing On My Own
    En Vogue-My Lovin'
    Mary J. Blige-Real Love
    Lauryn Hill-Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
    Whitney Houston-How Will I Know & So Emotional
  • Bruno Mars- Uptown Funk
  • There are quite a few of those for me - most of 'em 50s/60s-era pop songs of one kind or another, with a few more recent ones. [I pretty much stopped listening to music radio in the last couple of decades, preferring audiobooks, so I have almost zero awareness of recent music.]

Among the ones that can make me lip-sync along even if I'm in the presence of others:

Tracy Chapman, "Fast Car"
    Roy Orbison, "I Drove All Night", and "You Got It" (and lots of his earlier songs too)
    Deep Blue Something, "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

• Oh man, I totally forgot about Breakfast at Tiffany's. I love that song. 

There are so many songs I will belt out. Here's a small list. 

Born to Run - Springsteen
    Scenes From An Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel
    Recovery, Four Simple Words, Plain Sailing Weather, pretty much anything by Frank Turner
    Birdhouse In Your Soul - TMBG
    I'll Be You - The Replacements
    Dog Days Are Over - Florence & The Machine
    Bad Self Portraits - Lake Street Dive
    The Outdoor Type - Lemonheads
    Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
    Sally Maclinnane, The Sickbed of Cuchullain, Bottle of Smoke - The Pogues
    Rant and Roar - Great Big Sea
    Super Bass - Nicki Minaj
    Formation, Single Ladies, Sorry, Daddy Lessons - Beyonce

Right, I'll stop there, but I pretty much can't help singing along to just about anything. 

• ANYthing from the Priscilla Queen of the Desert soundtrack
    (ditto any of ABBAs greatest hits)

Anything Manhattan Transfer did (huge huge fan in the 80s)
    Early Amy Grant (Baby Baby, El Shadi, Old Mans Rhythm, etc)

• Anything Manhattan Transfer did (huge huge fan in the 80s)

I LOVE Manhattan Transfer! When I was in HS, our show choir did their version of Operator. So much fun. 

I LOVE Manhattan Transfer! When I was in HS, our show choir did their version of Operator. So much fun. 
    Kafka still gives me chills... Nightengals Sang in Berkely Square, live, cold...amazing. any of the duwop stuff.
  •  Oh, my gay gene kicks in here...SOUNDTRACKS- older stuff

Chess (not the US version, blech)
    RENT
    Chorus Line (the movie is soooo bad, I still  laugh, hard)
    Best Little Whore House in Texas
    Wicked
    Music from the TV show Scrubs
    Xanadu (the wonderfully bad musical)
    Annie (hangs head in shame :) )
    La Cage aux Folle (sp?)
    um.....

(can you tell what era I am from?)

• I'll sing along with most of the stuff on the Hamilton soundtrack. 
    Don't Rain On My Parade - the Barbra version and the Glee version. 
  • Absolutely not religious, but somewhere along the lines I listened to the Godspell (not sure if film or Broadway) and became obsessed. West Side Story also.

SAME - Our HS choir also did Operator, and I love the Manhattan Transfer because of it. They have one of my favorite Christmas CDs.
  • edited March 28
    Absolutely not religious, but somewhere along the lines I listened to the Godspell (not sure if film or Broadway) and became obsessed. West Side Story also.
    OMG, you and me both. In fact, I knew BOTH Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar, all songs, all words. Belt it out.

Another sing-along soundtrack I knew every single word of: American Graffiti. Extra points because it was a double album :-)

Camelot, pretty much all of the Beatles, a smattering of Rolling Stones, Al Stewart's Year of the Cat, a lot of the Monkees, and oh YES the B-52's. Gads, there's more, lots more. Earth Wind & Fire. Isley Brothers. Stevie Wonder, especially Songs in the Key of Life but many from that same era. I'm dating myself here.
  • Oh wait a minute. Somebody mentioned Babs. The Way We Were from 1974. Bunch of Michel LeGrand songs on there. She's in top voice and I could fantasize that mine was as good :-)
  • Welllll I'll pretty much sing to anything, whether I like it or not, but I DO have a "Sing Your Head Off" play list on my iPod with the following:

We Can't Stop - Miley
    Black Velvet - Alannah Myles
    Chandelier - Sia
    Close My Eyes Forever - Lita Ford and Ozzy
    Habits (Stay High) - Tove Lo
    Me Too - Meghan Trainor
    One - U2 and Mary J. Blige
    Rock & Roll - Double Trouble with Susan Tedeschi on lead (ANYTHING Susan Tedeschi)
    Superstition - Stevie Wonder
    The Pretender - Foo Fighters, but the Cherry Bomb version
    Goodbye Earl - Dixie Chicks
    The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band
  • Show tunes - ah, yes...  Lots of numbers from Les Mis, plenty from Little Shop of Horrors ("down on Skid Row"), and several from the not-well-known-but-fabulous Johnny Guitar: The Musical ("She's a Tramp").

Recently heard songs that reminded me of this thread:

Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield

Let It Go, from "Frozen"

Shadows of the Night - Pat Benatar

You beat me to it @largishbearishAtlish – anything by ABBA. It’s irresistible!! Though I love many and varied songs/music, ABBA will always get me singing and feeling fab.

• Pretty much anything by Depeche Mode moves my inner goth to sing and dance. 
  • My 12 year-old was belting out This Charming Man by the Smiths the other day. I'm obviously doing *something* right. 
  • Pretty much anything by Depeche Mode moves my inner goth to sing and dance. 
    Oh yes.

And for me that comes with bonus dance moves - when I was 17 I had a friend who had a very specific "Just can't get enough" dance which I HAVE to do, lo these many years later.

We've got The Clash on at the moment - Should I Stay is in the "must sing" class too.
  • No choreo for these, but definitely are in the Must Sing Now group.

Prince Purple Rain sing along with the album. With the choreo from the videos/film.
    Good list.

I knew we were sisters from another mother..... Meatloaf!!!!! I knew I had done my job as a parent when my girls learned all the words to Paradise By The Dashboard Light by the time they were 8.
  • GeoDiva said:
    Any & every B52 song. 7 nation army. Any Queen song. Thunderkiss 65 Sugar, sugar Joey Uncertain Smile & This is the day Rehab Gypsies, teamps & thieves Love Crushing All of Love Hysteria, Deep & Holy Smoke Who am I kidding? Anything on First Wave & 2/3 of Lithium!!
    Good list.

I knew we were sisters from another mother..... Meatloaf!!!!! I knew I had done my job as a parent when my girls learned all the words to Paradise By The Dashboard Light by the time they were 8.
    Success!
  • Again, I got the Dr Horribles Sing Along Blog stuck in my head...

(god(s) I hope there is a DH2!!!!) so brilliant!!

So with you about the soundtrack for Priscilla. That is one of my very favorite soundtracks. 
    Same for Manhattan Transfer.
    I will also sing along to September, That's The Way of The World, and Let's Groove Tonight by Earth Wind and Fire.
    And, Loveshack by B52's.
    Note that this is all done in the privacy of my home, as I have a voice that would shatter concrete.
  • Most Sara Bareilles songs. Specifically, Sweet As Whole. If I'm ever at a piano bar and am drunk enough to have the courage, this is the song I would do.