OPEN CHAT 79

With the announcement of a general election in the UK - I'm just going to hide here until it's over.

How's everyone else doing?

Comments

• OMG I want to come hide with you. Let me tell you about my last few weeks:

- Shawn fell on ice at work, his boss was a dick, he's still in a lot of pain and his doctor is not optimistic that he won't need surgery again. 

- We've had a few snits and last weekend was really awful, Shawn threatened to leave me, and actually did leave for awhile, didn't take anything with him and I called the cops because I just didn't want anything to happen to him. (He came home, we talked, Easter sucked)

- We're going to London and Norfolk UK for a wedding in June and I'm not at all looking forward to it, since it's been a shit show.

- a friend of mine decided he was done with his marriage so he's been staying with us for the last 2 weeks. He can't get up the balls to tell her it's over or not, and is pussyfooting around everything, causing more stress, not to mention awkwardness in our friends group, as said friend is canoodling with another friend. 

I just really want my house back. 
  • edited April 21
    I'm going to jump in that pool and not come out as long as some generous Kitten is willing to bring me mojitos from the bar.

@foodycatalicia - I'm so sorry about the election and all the crazy.  I've actually started watching tagesschau (German nightly news) through my Roku because I'm so busy translating that the shittiness of the world news doesn't hit as hard.  I follow a lot of Brits on twitter. It seems like y'all are almost as unhappy as we are here in the USA, politically.

@SarahBeth - that sounds AWFUL.  I'm sure you're both more stressed than normal (can you kick your philandering "friend" out of your house?  I think he needs a wake-up call) and of course if he's in pain he'll be more likely to quarrel.  I hope things resolve (peacefully!) very soon.

I am seven kinds of grump this morning because I have what mom calls "a gumboil" - basically there's a sore spot inside my mouth where it's all raw and there's a white patch (I usually get them after eating too many salt n vinegar chips...think the culprit this time was the grilled pineapple mixed with the bacon wrapped jalapenos on Easter) and it really effing hurts.

Also I was at work, getting shit done before opening and the IDIOT who closed last night just dogged down the doors without making sure they were caught, so two asshole undergrads went around trying every door (even after they caught my eye through the glass and I tapped my watch to say we weren't open yet) and managed to get in through those.  I yelled at them and they just whined about their class so I completely lost my temper and said something along the lines of "FINE, I'LL OPEN EARLY, WHO CARES WHAT MY BOSS THINKS?"  One girl uttered a tiny, "Sorry" but she wasn't sorry enough to wait outside the fucking doors for 7 minutes, so that's not sorry enough, IMO.

I can't wait to go home, have leftover kielbasa and French bread, and binge on S3 of Bosch which dropped 6 hours early at 8 pm CT last night.
  • @SarahBeth that sounds extremely shit. But while you are in London is there a possibility we could meet?
  • @foodycatalicia - Possibly! We'll be in London from like the 23rd to the 26th-ish of June and then we go to Norfolk on the 27th, and leave very early on the 29th to fly home. Depending on how husband is feeling, it might be nice to have someone to get a coffee with so I'm not stuck in the hotel with him. 

I shall keep you posted as our plans firm up. :)

And thanks @carlatheviking - its really stressful and I actually lost my mind at said friend the other night when I came home from dinner out with a girlfriend to a sink full of dishes since the dishwasher was full of clean dishes. I told him I can't work full time and keep the house up so I need help without me asking if he's going to be living here, no matter how temporarily. He's passed the "he is a guest in my home" and has moved into "this is his home" and therefore, that means he's pulling his weight.

• @sarahbeth - yet another reason why I'd hate to impose on a friend.  I'd never know what to do or when and I'd feel weird about it.
  • @SarahBeth I'm sorry you're going through such a rough patch.  I hope you're able to at least have a come-to-Jesus talk with your friend regarding being an adult - the cleaning-up-after-himself part as well as the not-ghosting-on-his-wife part.  I hope you're at least able to enjoy London, despite the wedding-related shitshow!

@carlatheviking I hope the rest of the day gets better

I, personally, am in a snit about the weather being crummy (it's cloudy / rainy in the '50s-'60s all weekend) and the fact that I gained back 2-3 lbs of the 10 that I lost over the last month, JUST BECAUSE I took a weekend off of watching what I eat and splurged.  
  • @JealousofBelle - it got worse before it got better.  A coworker I covered for last week and am covering for next week asked me to cover for him tonight (I'd have to drive too, which means a 10 minute drive + 20 minutes walking there, 2.5 hours of his shift and then 30 minutes home) and I said no and he never replied and I'm just like...really?  Even a "kk" would have been acceptable!

But I finally escaped work (had to stay 5 minutes late because my replacement just had to go run and buy lunch from the most crowded restaurant in the building) and went home, ate leftovers and passed out.  Then I went for my walk and got Chinese food for dinner, and realized I didn't want to watch Bosch (which is most unlike me, but whatever) so now I'm lying on my couch watching Death in Paradise and thinking about doing some painting.

So yay!

I'm sorry about the weight gain.  I gained 2 pounds too and I'm not entirely sure how so I'm quite peeved.
  • Thanks @JealousofBelle and @carlatheviking. Said friend told his wife it was over, and has now moved out of our house (yay) and in with his girlfriend who is also our friend. Said friend is supposedly going to tell his wife about other person today since said wife is asking questions directly. This will end badly.

On a happier note, Shawn and I have had a lot of awesome one on one time this weekend and its been nice. We did some shopping and went to a movie. Its been nice - it feels like things are starting to calm them selves down which is even better. 
  • https://www.pyramidcollection.com/Default.aspx

I found this site and it's making me happy.  I love pretty things like this, and costumes and all that sort of thing!
  • @SarahBeth I'm glad to hear things are on an upswing.  Hopefully you don't get caught in the middle of your friends love triangle (more than you already are, at least)
  • Making new friends as an adult is hard, but I'm excited to be hanging out this weekend with a new group of friends I've gotten closer to over the past year. We've mostly hung out at events over the past year, but not outside of those. This is the first time I'm hanging out with them outside of an event at one of their homes. I'm kinda nervous though, which is weird. But new friends, yay!
  • ellystar said:
    Making new friends as an adult is hard, but I'm excited to be hanging out this weekend with a new group of friends I've gotten closer to over the past year. We've mostly hung out at events over the past year, but not outside of those. This is the first time I'm hanging out with them outside of an event at one of their homes. I'm kinda nervous though, which is weird. But new friends, yay!
    Aw, you'll rock it!  And have fun :)

I'm feeling good that I applied for 3 jobs today, but I really need to get more done...and I'm so tired!  Still, it's almost Friday, so yay!
  • I really miss the bunch of people from gang that use to hang out here.......   Otherwise, things are just moving on.  My oldest daughter graduates from college in 2 weeks.  Time does fly by.
  • I'm like twitchy today.  I sat down to work 20 minutes ago and have been up five times to do things in other parts of the house (that could totally wait) and have checked in on the BKs and FB and I have a long ass to do list today and really cannot get my mind right to start it.
  • I'm like twitchy today.  I sat down to work 20 minutes ago and have been up five times to do things in other parts of the house (that could totally wait) and have checked in on the BKs and FB and I have a long ass to do list today and really cannot get my mind right to start it.
    I slept in and then went for a walk (which I always do on Mondays) and now I'm waiting for my tacquitos to heat up while I start my Monday morning ritual of virus scanning and backing up my laptops and external drives.  But I have a LOT to do today and I feel apprehensive.
  • In a previous open thread I mentioned some issues going on at my job. An update on that, things have gotten very, very frustrating for me here where even if I didn't have the pay cut I would be looking for a job. I thought things were going to improve, but instead they took a turn towards the worse.

But, I have a job interview on Thursday! There is no salary info available but I think it will be comparable and maybe more. And it looks really promising because I'm the type of candidate they're looking for. Wish me luck :)
  • I remember those issues! Hope the job on Thursday is just what you are looking for and they have a good salary package.
  • Good luck on Thursday!
  • GeoDiva said:
    I really miss the bunch of people from gang that use to hang out here.......   Otherwise, things are just moving on.  My oldest daughter graduates from college in 2 weeks.  Time does fly by.
    Lovely picture of her on insta! Congratulations to her!
  • You guys, I've been gone for so long. But I popped in to say that my imaginary bestie Miyam Bialik was on Steven Colbert last night and she didn't look totally frumpy--I liked her dress but the color was all wrong for her. And her hair was cute. 

I hope you're all well. I have been in a dark hole but I am hoping to be crawling out out of it soon. 

xoMothra
  • Hi @MothraVA - hope the dark hole lets you out really soon!
  • Good luck, @ellystar
  • I got the job :D
  • ellystar said:
    I got the job :D
    Woohoo!  Congrats!
  • ellystar said:
    Woohoo!  Congrats!
    That's awesome news, congratulations!
  • That's great! Congratulations @ellystar!
  • So I've found myself on a old 80's movies kick since there is nothing on TV. Lately I watched Weekend at Bernie's, Tremors, The Princess Bride and now Roadhouse has started! LOL!
  • Tremors is one of the things husbeast and I really disagree on. I sat through all of them, once, at his request. I never need to watch them again. I think not having seen them as a teenager makes it impossible for me to bond with them the way he has.
  • ellystar said:
    Congrats!!!