Maxi Dresses

Since the comments are closed on TLo, I figured I'd post over here. I just got three dresses, in three different patterns, from Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ICVZA76/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ;

They are comfy, they have POCKETS! and I love them. I live in maxi-dresses in the summer and I definitely needed some new ones, since my cheap, knit ones are a few years old and some of them are getting pilly. 

Comments

• They're pretty!!  I love that they have pockets too, let's hope proper pockets for women becomes a trend...

You should tell us how well they fit; I don't NEED new dresses, but I could do with a nice green one since I love green and don't have much in my wardrobe.

I have a few maxi dresses and I just adore them.  Back in Florida now too, so when I go out I have an excuse to wear them, huzzah.
  • Ooooh I love those!  Definitely let us know how they fit - I'm not happy with how my old maxi dresses fit lately (SURPRISE!  Wearing non-maternity dresses throughout pregnancy stretches them out!) and I'd love to pick up some new ones.
  • They fit pretty well. There's a side zip, which helps, and the not-quite-empire waist seems more flattering than the right under the bust style. They are long - I'm 5'8" and they're ankle length on me. So far, so good. We'll see how they do in the wash, though. 
  • This one has been hanging in my closet for several weeks -- I fell in love with it back in March but it hasn't been warm enough to wear it: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/eliza-j-brush-print-jersey-maxi-dress/3955321?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=MAUVE

If I were smarter, I'd have had it altered right after I got it! It fits beautifully *except* that it's so long that about 1/2" of it sits on the ground when I'm wearing flats. I'm freakin' 5'8", so who is this dress cut for?! So as not to drag it on NYC sidewalks, I need to get it taken up a bit.

I highly recommend it for the tall gal, though. It's a good-quality, washable jersey, so you can stuff it in the bottom of a bag, put it on, and not have to deal with wrinkles, and it has a lovely flattering drape.
  • I, too, love to wear maxi-dresses in the summer, though mine tend to run to loose, sleeveless linen.  Indeed, most of my summer wardrobe - dresses, pants, tops - is loose-fitting linen!
  • This one has been hanging in my closet for several weeks -- I fell in love with it back in March but it hasn't been warm enough to wear it: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/eliza-j-brush-print-jersey-maxi-dress/3955321?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=MAUVE

If I were smarter, I'd have had it altered right after I got it! It fits beautifully *except* that it's so long that about 1/2" of it sits on the ground when I'm wearing flats. I'm freakin' 5'8", so who is this dress cut for?! So as not to drag it on NYC sidewalks, I need to get it taken up a bit.

I highly recommend it for the tall gal, though. It's a good-quality, washable jersey, so you can stuff it in the bottom of a bag, put it on, and not have to deal with wrinkles, and it has a lovely flattering drape.
    That's lovely. Way out of my price range, though. 

I wish I could find linen stuff in plus-size. Although given my hatred of ironing, I may be better off sticking to knits. 
  • I'm definitely going to spring for one of those next month after I get paid again.  It's too damn hot already to be in jeans, and I'm not thrilled with any of my shorts right now

ps - @majorbedhead I love that your link is a direct amazon smile link.  I always go through and change links so I'm using that!

Here are my "maxi" dresses.  My favorite is the pink/orange/black one and I look surprisingly good in the black/brown one and I have a black and white striped one that's packed away in storage because it's broilingly hot fabric and I only wear it in winter.

I want a green one but my closet is crammed so full I can barely squeeze my current clothes in there so it'd have to be a really beautiful one!
  • I have 1 maxi dress. I'm 6' tall, so finding maxi dresses that are actually maxi on me is difficult. But I found one at Target (of all places) last year and I love it. It's just a knit jersey, navy and white chevron stripe. Super comfy. Wear it as often as I can get away with. Wish I could find more that me.....
  • I'm definitely going to spring for one of those next month after I get paid again.  It's too damn hot already to be in jeans, and I'm not thrilled with any of my shorts right now

ps - @majorbedhead I love that your link is a direct amazon smile link.  I always go through and change links so I'm using that!
    Awesome! It's for JDRF - my 22 year-old has type 1 diabetes. 
  • I'm on the lookout for some new ones this summer. I'm very picky about maxi dresses, I don't do spaghetti straps or halters as a personal preference, and it seems like everything I come across in stores these days has cold shoulders and stupid cutouts or giant slits. Clearly, I'm looking in the wrong stores but I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to find a maxi dress this time of year. 
  • I thought this one from the Queen of Sleeves blog was cute, and it's from Target.

• edited May 19
    This one has been hanging in my closet for several weeks -- I fell in love with it back in March but it hasn't been warm enough to wear it: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/eliza-j-brush-print-jersey-maxi-dress/3955321?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=MAUVE

That's lovely. Way out of my price range, though. 

I wish I could find linen stuff in plus-size. Although given my hatred of ironing, I may be better off sticking to knits. 
    Creases in linen are how you know it's the real deal. But the shitty fabrics in plus sizes are my bugbear.
  • Anna_P said:
    I'm on the lookout for some new ones this summer. I'm very picky about maxi dresses, I don't do spaghetti straps or halters as a personal preference, and it seems like everything I come across in stores these days has cold shoulders and stupid cutouts or giant slits. Clearly, I'm looking in the wrong stores but I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to find a maxi dress this time of year. 

Me too. I have found decent ones ftom Ann Taylor and StitchFix.
  • From Sally McGraw at AlreadyPretty.com ( a great fashion, body positive, ethical clothing, and more blog):

This maxi dress hits all the right notes: wide-but-high waistband, bra-covering straps, high back, comes in regular and petite sizes, and made in the U.S.!

• Wow, that dress is lovely!