OPEN CHAT 80 - Holy cow it's July again

So... we've bought a house and we're moving out of London at the end of July. Anyone else doing anything interesting?

Comments

• love that garden, looks so perfect for lounging with friends!

I'm taking a workshop at the Chicago Mosaic School with visiting artist Dugald MacInnes, "Mosaic as an Expressive Art Form".

From the website: "Internationally-acclaimed Scottish artist Dugald MacInnes is well known
    for his poetic use of stone and natural materials. His work communicates
    his passion for geology and archaeology and his love for the Scottish
    landscape. CMS is excited to bring him back to Chicago for an exclusive
    learning opportunity is transformational workshop will allow students to
    explore and exploit personal passions and interests by “delving beneath
    naturalistic representation to creatively seek out and discover the
    very essence of what it is that visually excites them”. Participants
    will employ techniques in working principally with stone in tandem with a
    basic understanding of the development of modern art, with particular
    reference to the role of the visual elements in conveying and expressing
    our thoughts and feelings about our environment. Students will learn
    about stone cutting techniques and cement and mortar processes. Each
    student will have full access to CMS tools and vast materials, all
    included in the cost of the workshop."

His work is very different from anything I've done, it will be very interesting to see how it goes.
    http://chicagomosaicschool.com/2016/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/10749903_655712237870581_196684967645725282_o.jpg

I've been taking classes at CMS for 4 or 5 years now and feel like I'm starting to become an artist. The school is very welcoming and supportive. I can't take an out of town vacation this year, but this will be a great staycation. I'll get out of my normal routine, my normal neighborhoods and I'll get a chance to learn from an incredible artist and meet some really cool people.
  • That is a beautiful piece! Have a wonderful time!
  • @foodycatAlicia  Congrats on the new house!  This is the summer of moving for us too.  Next week we move our oldest out of her college apartment.  She graduated last month and has been hanging out at her boyfriend's place in Ohio while she is on the job hunt.  So all her stuff is destined for our basement which is about 600 miles away from her place.  We'll have to move it again when she finally finds a job and has to move there.   Then at the end of July,  we need to move the younger one out of her current apartment and into another.  The issue is that there is a week-long time frame from when she has to be out of her current one and when she can move into her new one.  So she is staying with a friend while she is homeless, but what to do with her furniture and stuff?  Looks like we will be packing it up, driving it back to our house (100 miles away) and then driving it back one week later.  Ugh!  
  • You are good parents! That's a LOT of hassle!
  • I have the plague. I just want to go home and die right now. 

I'm getting itchy feet. I hate it when I get like this. I want to move. Like seriously move, to another country. But. I have a job I really like that is very low stress, I bought a condo last year, and my kids would not appreciate being uprooted. Yet I find myself perusing job listings in the UK papers fairly regularly. Never mind that it's really difficult to get a work visa for another country, I'm still over here looking, like it might happen. My brain is weird. 
  • Wait 5 minutes until we've totally fucked our relationship with the EU and we will be BEGGING people to apply for work visas.
  • Wait 5 minutes until we've totally fucked our relationship with the EU and we will be BEGGING people to apply for work visas.
    Hmmm...I could do with a spell in a country that has decent sausages, Flakes, Crunchies, and tomato flavored crisps...
  • I was very evil today and spent all the money.  I went to Sephora and got a new Taarte lip paint (Birthday Suit - the same one I got in my birthday gift and fell in love with) so that was $20.  I also spent $30 between two accessory stores getting a present for my friend (a glittery gold coin purse the shape of a sheriff badge that says BOSS in black glitter), two rings, two pairs of earrings, and a necklace (which is pretty good, I think).

I also resisted quite literally $300 of stuff I do not need but desperately want, so I'm patting myself on the back for that haha!
  • That is a beautiful piece! Have a wonderful time!
    I should clarify that that piece is his. I usually work with a lot of color, so this will get me outside my comfort zone.

I'm getting itchy feet. I hate it when I get like this. I want to move. Like seriously move, to another country. But. I have a job I really like that is very low stress, I bought a condo last year, and my kids would not appreciate being uprooted. Yet I find myself perusing job listings in the UK papers fairly regularly. Never mind that it's really difficult to get a work visa for another country, I'm still over here looking, like it might happen. My brain is weird. 
    Are you in NM?? (there have been actual reports of folks with the actual bubonic plague :( )
  • @foodycatAlicia - congrats on the new house!  Bread and salt for you:image

@knitgirl17: That is one stunning piece of work.  Somehow I never think of mosaics with those long verticals.  It's beautiful.

I'm happy it's July.  I love summer!  I've just come home from Summerdance, a program the city does every summer.  Music and dancing in a park, with food and wine available, what could be more fun?   Three times a week, different styles of music and dance each time.  Tonight, it was Mucca Pazza, not your mother's marching band!  It turned out to be a gorgeous evening, warm, but not too warm, fireflies out, perfect summer night.
  • Thank you @Lilithcat!

Summerdance sounds lovely! Just my sort of thing.
  • @foodycatAlicia, I LOVE your garden. Thank you so much for sharing.
    My housewarming gift...Welcome Pineapples to add to your beautiful decor.

• Good heavens, that isn't my garden! Just a random picture of a summer party. My garden is currently a rectangle of bare earth.
  • LOL! Well, it's your garden on this thread! ;)

• I'm trying to upload a video of my garden but photobucket isn't cooperating. But here is a picture. Literally a rectangle of bare earth!

• Congrats, @foodycatalicia on the new house. :)

Hi everyone, its been awhile. I've been reading, not really posting. 

We actually just got back from London/the UK 2 days ago. We were there for 6 days for a wedding and it was SUCH A GREAT TRIP. (this is the trip that I was ambivalent on earlier this year). But despite the rain, it was delightful and a wonderful celebration for our friends and we truly enjoyed our 4 days in London before the wedding. I was glad to come home though - and I still am technically on vacation - I don't go back to work until Wednesday (Tues is the holiday so I just took yesterday and Monday) and this is the first paid vacation I've had in years. I finally got hired by my company in February so I get all of the good benefits and vacation time. AND I work on a great team.

Good timing too - last night my husband and I spent the night in the ER, as we were leaving a late dinner and he suddenly got pain in his upper shoulder, hurt to breathe, etc. Since his shoulder's been iffy anyway, we debated going to the ER because it might have been nothing but since we'd gotten off a 7 hour flight within 24 hours, we wanted to be absolutely sure. Everything came back negative and we got discharged at 530 this morning. We got some sleep while we were there and ended up making the best of it - we went out to breakfast at this great little diner early and did an errand, then came home. I passed out for a few hours before Shawn woke me up and while I'm still a little tired - it's worth it for the peace of mind to be absolutely sure everything was OK. 

• I'm trying to upload a video of my garden but photobucket isn't cooperating. But here is a picture. Literally a rectangle of bare earth!

You're only a few pillows and some chiffon away from the garden pick! I know you can do it! ;)
  • @foodycatAlicia your garden will look like the picture in no time!

@SarahBeth I'm glad to hear your husband is doing well and you got the peace of mind to enjoy your paid vacation!

I'm working from home today and off tomorrow, and it's taking everything I've got to force my way through my few tasks - all I want to do is go read my book in the shade!
  • GAH!!  Some bullshit I can't talk about publicly is really pissing me off and has just cost me a bunch of money - and it's someone else's cockup, not mine!!

Also, I can't find my glorious black leather Nine West booties and I'm furious because I would never have left those behind in any move ever, and my pretty silver "mermaid" earrings (enameled sea star, coral, shell, etc, dangling from silver chain) have completely disappeared too. 

Today has been rough.  At least tomorrow is a holiday.
  • @Carlatheviking: $, Shoes and Earrings? GURL! That calls for some FROZE ROSE!! 
  • Ugh, so steamy and muggy here...going to be a long, hot summer...sigh. Going to the dog park earlier and earlier.... Went this AM and got rained out, cleared quickly and got hot and steamier, like a sauna. Feels like 94 here. (with heat index) but its a MUGGY hot (low humidity is much easier to take...). Movie rentals for the next 2 months!

• MiamiGal said:
    @Carlatheviking: $, Shoes and Earrings? GURL! That calls for some FROZE ROSE!! 

I emptied and went through my WHOLE jewelry drawer.  No mermaid earrings.
    Went through my closet, my shoe organizer, and under my bed.  No Nine West black leather booties that were the pride of my heart.

Didn't have to check my bank account to know I'm hurting.

There will be wine with dinner.

I FOUND MY MISSING EARRINGS!!!  (As you can see, I was missing a lot, but the mermaid ones were the ones I wanted to wear, hence why I was upset about them particularly.)

My earrings are now now out on display on my various jewelry holders and I am le happy.

Still no sign of me Nine West booties...fingers crossed...
  • @CarlatheViking...I FOUND MY MISSING EARRINGS!!!  (As you can see, I was missing a lot, but the mermaid ones were the ones I wanted to wear, hence why I was upset about them particularly.)

Well that's a strong start!!! YEAH for you!
  • I did my shameless, if I tell people it's my birthday how much free stuff can I get, tour today. (It really is, not trying to scam anyone). I'm naturally shy so it was pushing me out of my comfort zone, which I think is a good thing, or at least that's my rationalization.
    It was pretty successful, and my boss got me a cupcake at work today, so I'm a little over-caffeinated and anticipating a sugar crash any old time now.

Are you in NM?? (there have been actual reports of folks with the actual bubonic plague :( )

With the cuts to public health (CDC, etc) we might ALL get some sort of plague! WOOT!!

I went to Lake George & Saratoga Springs for my summer vacation, ~11 days. 70 degrees & no humidity?!?! Freaking LOVED it. Will be back every year.

We now have lawn. And we move on Monday.
  • Awesome!
  • I cut all my hair off!  I feel great!