Project Runway -Season 16 -Starts 8-17-17

Project Rungay is how I came to this site, and I suspect I'm not alone in the forum on that. Is anybody still hanging in there? Enough of us to discuss the episodes?  The new batch of designers, if their past work that's been posted is any indication, is very light on experience. 

Comments

• I haven't seen any of their previews or anything, but I do follow Nina Garcia on Facebook and she's posted about it.

Honestly, I prefer watching the old eps on Hulu.  Halfway through the 5th season of All Stars and then I'll have finished everything they have available, so I'll probably watch the new one just to amuse myself.

It's just...I wish they would have more two-day challenges, and give them 8 weeks and a decent amount of money to make a proper collection, you know, like they did when they started.  YOU CANNOT MAKE HAUTE COUTURE IN 12 HOURS!!!
  • nope.

Well, that's clear, isn't it!  Can't say I'm surprised at all. Switching to the "Forums" model depleted the discussion interaction considerably, and the show's downward slide toward oblivion has done the rest.

I'd love to see a fashion design show using the same format as the Great British Baking show - wouldn't that be a trip?!  "And now, for the Showstopper Challenge!!"

• Haven't heard about it and won't watch it.  There's no fashion or design; it's all about fake drama. I've always wondered why there wasn't a Project Runway: UK version.

I love the GBBO and am watching previous series via Netflix.  So calm, soothing, and no pretentiousness.
  • PaulaO said:
    Haven't heard about it and won't watch it.  There's no fashion or design; it's all about fake drama. I've always wondered why there wasn't a Project Runway: UK version.

I love the GBBO and am watching previous series via Netflix.  So calm, soothing, and no pretentiousness.
    There was. They called it Project Catwalk. Kelly Osborne hosted it

it was much bitchier than PR. the prize money was smaller. Their version of Tim was kind of a micro-managing jerk. 
  • It's not fun to watch anymore, and hasn't been for a while.  Setting the quality of the show (which is not good) aside, without TLo's recap and the live discussion, it's missing something intangible that the show needs.
  • CourtneyA said:
    It's not fun to watch anymore, and hasn't been for a while.  Setting the quality of the show (which is not good) aside, without TLo's recap and the live discussion, it's missing something intangible that the show needs.
    could not agree more- T'los (wonderful) commentary was so much fun! (I sooooo miss it, along with the commentary of Bravo's oh so suck-if-ful 'shows like The Art Show, the hair cutting show, etc)...A great stepping off point to some great great discussions (not that their terrific 'reviews' (or shreds :)) are not what gives us all oxygen but....

Is Tim down to robot stage yet? ugh :(
  • I might watch it eventually, but if it's up against The Gong Show reboot I'll be watching that first. 
  • Endora88 said:
    I might watch it eventually, but if it's up against The Gong Show reboot I'll be watching that first. 

I'm pretty much the same
  • edited August 18
    I caught an ad for it yesterday and the season looks like it might be interesting.  Apparently, they are using various sized models, up to size 22.  A contestant walks off during judging and Tim is shown accusing some contestants of cheating.  So yeah, I'm watching.  Two of the contestants are identical twins.  Btw, I think the episodes are only an hour long this season.  After PR, I'm switching the channel to Bravo to see the Flipping Out premiere and then it's back to TCM and My Sister Eileen.

ETA: There is already one designer who, IMHO, has a boring design asthetic.  I was not impressed with her audition collection.

• I watched it.  Not sure how I feel, but at least the "right" designer went home.  Not sure how I feel about the one who won, but it'll be an interesting season, I think.
  • Enjoyed the episode enough

But those twins, ugh!

I realized what the problem is. They have this affected, pretentious manner in the way they speak and they come across as phony and a little condescending.

bad enough when it's just one of them, b ut when they talk in that way in stereo...UGH!
  • I enjoyed the episode - nice variety - but I did think they'd keep the clown-suit cherub for one more episode, just to see what he'd come up with. (I do feel a bit guilty for being sucked in by the whole "somebody's cheating" preview; I always liked the show because it had people creating things, and the buildup to "DRAMA!" isn't my favorite aspect - but now I'm sooooo curious. Dang.) 
  • I enjoyed the episode - nice variety - but I did think they'd keep the clown-suit cherub for one more episode, just to see what he'd come up with. (I do feel a bit guilty for being sucked in by the whole "somebody's cheating" preview; I always liked the show because it had people creating things, and the buildup to "DRAMA!" isn't my favorite aspect - but now I'm sooooo curious. Dang.) 
    My money is on the twins helping each other a little too much.
  • Yeah, I agree @carlatheviking.  Those two chicks get on my last nerve.

I probably would have sent that twin with the weird blouse and the silver short shorts home.  That outfit was UGH-LEE!

• I just checked in on the first episode of the new season in time to hear Tim Gunn telling the designtestants that they would have 30 minutes to sketch using their "Pilot frictionless pens"....will the winner get a lifetime supply of these pens? Ah well.
    I do like that they are using models who are different sizes and body types this season.  

• I noticed that the accessory wall was by JC Penny and the makeup was by Avon.  Now not saying that Avon is shitty or anything, but it is a peg lower than L'Oreal.  Will the accessory wall next year be by Walmart?

I did like how Nina quoted Carolina Herrera about "naked" clothes.

I neglected to mention that one of the contestants this year wears a hijab and her clothing is modern modest.  Now how can they judge her clothing blindly?  They'll know which design is hers if every design has a headcovering.
  • Munchkn said:
    I noticed that the accessory wall was by JC Penny and the makeup was by Avon.  Now not saying that Avon is shitty or anything, but it is a peg lower than L'Oreal.  Will the accessory wall next year be by Walmart?

I did like how Nina quoted Carolina Herrera about "naked" clothes.

I neglected to mention that one of the contestants this year wears a hijab and her clothing is modern modest.  Now how can they judge her clothing blindly?  They'll know which design is hers if every design has a headcovering.
    One of the prizes this season is creating a capsule collection for J.C.Penney, so that explains the accessory wall. I listened to TLo's most recent podcast and they spent 20-25 minutes on the first episode.

About the designer wearing the hijab-TLo really liked her first design and referred to the very large market for fashion conscious yet modest clothing in the Arab world.  

We;ll see about the judging...
  • edited August 25
    The second episode has just started here in the Eastern time zone and already I'm sick of those damn twins.  They are obnoxious and stuck-up.  The one who was almost kicked off last week was complaining about the fact that the models change every week.  You idiot!  That's so you can show your design chops at dressing women of different sizes!
  • The twins. I can't. Where the hell did they learn to talk like that? Do they think it makes them sound intelligent or more adult? Just makes them sound like pompous airheads. They're going to stick around for awhile, aren't they?

I don't know why I still watch this show. I think it's a general FOMO that there may be amazing designs again - but I can always find pictures and recaps online so I don't know why I can't stop watching.

The one day thing needs to end. Are they really that low on budget they can't stretch for two days, at least on some of the challenges?

Also, they really need to stop the trope of Phone Call Home = Going Home.
  • Honestly, I didn't see anything in the team/unconventional materials challenge that blew me away. But, again, with one day what would anyone expect?!? I believe Shawn should have gone home. She wasted everyone of her teammates time and then they had to ignore their looks to help her. 
  • @ellystar,  I think you're right, unfortunately, about those damn twins sticking around for awhile.  There have been some annoying contestants in the history of PR (thinking of Wendy Pepper, Wretchen, etc) , but I think they're the worst!

@rawtoo,  I agree with you about Shawn.  She should have gone home.  In an earlier season, she might have, but not now.  If someone didn't work well with others in a team challenge they might be booted off.  Pack you knives and go, Shawn!  (I know, wrong show, but it fits.)

• Munchkn said:
    The second episode has just started here in the Eastern time zone and already I'm sick of those damn twins.  They are obnoxious and stuck-up.  The one who was almost kicked off last week was complaining about the fact that the models change every week.  You idiot!  That's so you can show your design chops at dressing women of different sizes!
    A smart designer would accept this as a way to demonstrate his/her design chops rather than kvetch/whine about it. But, then, we are talking about one of the dreaded Twins.

I can't really disagree with Sentelle's elimination, but the twin's design for her model was not flattering either.
  • I have to say I'm really tired of the whining about the challenges and people who are so "uninspired" by the unconventional challenges or sizes of the "real women" models. This is like season 16? and all these people know what they are getting into when they agree to do the show. I personally like the rotation of the models of various sizes this season. I would think they would like to be challenged creatively by the twists and turns of the season to show what they could really do. They could grow so much as designers if they embraced things instead of complaining about everything. I'm so ready for the twins to go...please soon!
  • lilanea said:
    I have to say I'm really tired of the whining about the challenges and people who are so "uninspired" by the unconventional challenges or sizes of the "real women" models. This is like season 16? and all these people know what they are getting into when they agree to do the show. I personally like the rotation of the models of various sizes this season. I would think they would like to be challenged creatively by the twists and turns of the season to show what they could really do. They could grow so much as designers if they embraced things instead of complaining about everything. I'm so ready for the twins to go...please soon!
    oh definitely. contestants stopped having an excuse years ago. this is why Tlo and others have rightly called out the twins' behaviour for what it is. simple camera-whoring

By now there are certain givens you should be prepared for if you want to make it well enough to at least produce a decoy collection or raise your profile.

1) Pratice making a good dress in 12 hours
    2) Practice sewing/constructing with plastic and cardboard
    3) Practice making an evening gown
    4) Practice patterning and sewing pants
    5) Practice making those same outfits for a size 12 instead of a size 2
    6) Have a couple of red carpet looks already designed ahead of time
    7) Have an avant garde design worked out ahead of time

and lastly be prepared to deal with an asshole/attention whore or be edited to look like an asshole/attention whore
  • Frank_821, those are words for PR contestants to take to heart if they want to stand a chance on this show.
  • 8.) Scout out Mood so you know where stuff is.

Everyone has to come to NYC for their Road to the Runway interview. Slip out then and take notes in case you make the cut.
  • 8.) Scout out Mood so you know where stuff is.

Everyone has to come to NYC for their Road to the Runway interview. Slip out then and take notes in case you make the cut.
    Damn, that's a good thought!
  • Frank_821 said:
    lilanea said:
    I have to say I'm really tired of the whining about the challenges and people who are so "uninspired" by the unconventional challenges or sizes of the "real women" models. This is like season 16? and all these people know what they are getting into when they agree to do the show. I personally like the rotation of the models of various sizes this season. I would think they would like to be challenged creatively by the twists and turns of the season to show what they could really do. They could grow so much as designers if they embraced things instead of complaining about everything. I'm so ready for the twins to go...please soon!
    oh definitely. contestants stopped having an excuse years ago. this is why Tlo and others have rightly called out the twins' behaviour for what it is. simple camera-whoring

By now there are certain givens you should be prepared for if you want to make it well enough to at least produce a decoy collection or raise your profile.

and lastly be prepared to deal with an asshole/attention whore or be edited to look like an asshole/attention whore
    I've been thinking about what *I* would do if I were on the show and this is a much better version of my list!
  • Frank_821 said:
    lilanea said:

Yes, this.  Preparing for the competition (like Bianca Del Rio did for Drag Race) would almost guarantee a spot in the finals.  Instead we're still getting comments like "I've never designed for a woman; I only do menswear".  What???