Holiday recipes?

Any new - or old favorite - recipes to share? I came across a tasty one for White Christmas Pie recently, and thought I'd start a thread for more ideas. The pie (which I first encountered via an Amish romance novel of all things) is a kind of vanilla/coconut chiffon, with a touch of almond flavoring, and really does have a beautiful snow-white appearance. This recipe is closest to the one I made, though there are several variants online; I did not add the whipped-cream-and-fruit topping, just sprinkled coconut on top of mine.

Comments

• well my 'infamous' recipe is my Apple Lasagna...but really think my cooking days are over..food. ugh.
  • In my family baking kolacki is required. I also usually do a snowball cookie using coconut and chai spices.
  • We aren't traditionalists with Christmas, and we're having a vegetarian houseguest over the period so we've decided to not cook meat while she's with us. SO trying a bunch of new savoury stuff.

I'm making a panforte and a sour cherry and marzipan couronne as the sweet baking.
  • We generally have latkes on Christmas eve. Ordinarily, we'd also go to a friend's house at some point for gourmet mac and cheese, but they are spending the winter in the Antipodes this year.
  • Holiday Pomegranate Fruit Salad! It's festive, tart, sweet, spiced, juicy, fun to eat, and a nice balance to heavier holiday dishes. I created it for an office party where coworkers were on a diet, and fell in love with the final product. Combine ingredients in a bowl and marinate before serving. Best at room temp but also yummy chilled, as alternative to ice cream with pie. All flavors are adjustable:

Seeds and juice of 4 pomegranates, 2 diced gala apples, 2 oranges sliced into supremes & then chopped, plus the juice generated from this process (you want juicy orange bits with no membrane); zest and juice of 1 lemon plus a bit of the orange peel zest. Spices to taste: Fresh grated ginger, ground cinnamon, fresh or dried minced/crumbled mint, pinch of salt if desired. A pinch of fresh ground cardamom, nutmeg, or clove are also nice, though not necessary.

Serves about 8 as an accompaniment. Or one, if you're me, with breakfast and everything else.

Slicing orange supremes and extracting pomegranate seeds both have youtube tutorials if you're not familiar with the process. Neither is difficult at all - but wear an apron, because pom juice stains. I don't peel the apples. Galas have a nice warm/tart balance, but if you want a sweeter or softer apple, go for it. I don't recommend granny smiths, though: they're too acidic and dense. Shop for heavier, comparatively pale pom fruits without brown patches. Really red ones are not quite ripe.
  • no friends, no family. another day of the year.
  • edited December 2017

no friends, no family. another day of the year.

Oh my, btdt. In the past I have volunteered at a nursing home on Christmas day, as part of an organized program with a local synagogue (to which faith I do not belong, fwiw), to do practical things (pushing those in wheelchairs from one place to another, replacing hearing aid batteries, holding hands, listening to their histories, etc.), to give some of the regular employees a little time to go home and spend with their families. One thing I can say, I never came home feeling anything but grateful for my life.
  • In my family baking kolacki is required.

I'm in charge of the kolacki this year for the first time - it'll never be as good as my childhood memories, but gotta start somewhere.

• eveeve said:

In my family baking kolacki is required.

I'm in charge of the kolacki this year for the first time - it'll never be as good as my childhood memories, but gotta start somewhere.

My advice is to roll them thinner that you think, and press pretty firmly to seal. Oh and when the dough starts sofening and sticking, throw it in the freezer for a couple of minutes to chill. Does your family use the Solo filling? My favorite is the apricot.
  • edited December 2017

eveeve said:

In my family baking kolacki is required.

My advice is to roll them thinner that you think, and press pretty firmly to seal. Oh and when the dough starts sofening and sticking, throw it in the freezer for a couple of minutes to chill. Does your family use the Solo filling? My favorite is the apricot.
    Some will be apricot filling, yes, but store-bought no - Grandmother would not approve. I am using jam that I canned myself last summer. Also going to make some with ground walnut filling. My recipe is from notes taken from the back of the napkin I wrote on as Grandmother explained the recipe ("Only three ingredients!" she exclaimed, as she then ticked off seven ingredients).
  • those are going to be terrific!