Oscars 2018

With everything going on in the Film Community, I found it strange that Barbra Streisand, a Holoywood mover & shaker, was not a strong presence at Oscars 2018 or in the #MeToo conversation. It like she has gone 100% under the redar. Did anyone else notice this?

Comments

• She’s been busy having her dog cloned. Again.
  • nolakent said:

She’s been busy having her dog cloned. Again.

ROFL!

• "Rich people...they are just like us!!"
  • Plenty of other notable absences (or at least they weren't shown walking the runway or the after parties that hit the major media outlets):

Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet, Julia Roberts, Reece Witherspoon, Scarlett Johansson, Anne Hathaway, Cameron Diaz, Daisy Ridley, Angelina Jolie, Kristen Stewart, Sally Field, and Melissa McCarthy. Idris Elba, Brad Pitt, L. Di Caprio, Matt Damon, Ryan Gosling, G Clooney, B Affleck, J. Gyllenhaal, Sam Heughan, Tom Hanks. Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Samuel L. Jackson. I could go on, but that's a lot of star power that wasn't shining on Sunday night.
  • surprised Reece wan't there (to promote/plug the upcoming Wrinkle in Time flick)...

wow,that is a lot of folks.. was/is there some kind of boycott going on?

• wow,that is a lot of folks.. was/is there some kind of boycott going on?

No boycott I've heard about. The standard explanation is that since they weren't nominees or presenters, they didn't want to draw attention away, or didn't feel the urgency to be there. I call b.s. though. They're almost all attention hogs who would probably jump at the opportunity to promote their next gig. Maybe there was too much political tension and they slipped in quietly, with the risk of having to answer awkward questions this year keeping the likes of Uma Thurman, Travolta, and Q Tarantino away from media microphones. Not surprisingly, I didn't see a single Marchesa gown.
  • They were so worried about controversy that they had a memo about not allowing attendees to drink Cabernet from a tumbler, for fear that someone would call it a wine stein. ;)
  • eveeve said:

No boycott I've heard about. The standard explanation is that since they weren't nominees or presenters, they didn't want to draw attention away, or didn't feel the urgency to be there. I call b.s. though. They're almost all attention hogs who would probably jump at the opportunity to promote their next gig. Maybe there was too much political tension and they slipped in quietly, with the risk of having to answer awkward questions this year keeping the likes of Uma Thurman, Travolta, and Q Tarantino away from media microphones. Not surprisingly, I didn't see a single Marchesa gown.
    why no Marchesa gowns (did I miss something, again?)
  • eveeve said:

why no Marchesa gowns (did I miss something, again?)
    Marchesa is Georgina's Chapman's label. aka Mrs Harvey Fierstein
  • edited March 8

“Marchesa is Georgina's Chapman's label. aka Mrs Harvey Fierstein”
    Wrong Harvey! It’s Weinstein (but the image of Georgina being married to Harvey Fierstein gave me a much-needed laugh!)
  • nolakent said:

Wrong Harvey! It’s Weinstein (but the image of Georgina being married to Harvey Fierstein gave me a much-needed laugh!)

sorry that came out so wrong. i've been sick. but yes That Harvey would make a much more fun hubby
  • nolakent said:

Even though Chapman and Weinstein separated, Weinstein supposedly funded Marchesa and coerced actresses into wearing her line on the red carpet. I think high-profile actresses probably felt they didn't need the potential downside of wearing Marchesa this year on the red carpet.