Roseanne Cancelled

What are your thoughts?

I really feel sorry for the talented cast and crew who have now lost their job(s) due to this (idiot) womans inability to keep her (loud) mouth SHUT....

I am very proud of ABC for doing the RIGHT THING... (enough is enough). She was def a ca$h cow (no pun intended but...) for the network- but there comes a point when...whew.

Comments

  • Honestly I’m both stunned and happy that they actually did the right thing.

    What an absolutely vile piece of shit Barr is. Hopefully the cast and crew find new gigs soon. I can’t imagine being a decent human being and having to work for such a person.
  • The whole thing is rather surreal. I have always been a big fan of the original show. The reboot felt a little odd and unsettling to me. Watching Johnny Galecki, Laurie Metcalf (and Sara Gilbert) on Big Bang Theory all this time had made me numb to the fact that 20 years have passed since Roseanne was cancelled. With the few times I've watched the show, I can clealry see how much older everyone is. It shows in their acting. It made me feel old.

    I'm not that upset that the show got canned. The reboot never felt on par with the original show. In fact I'm just n ot feeling the need for all these reboots. I'm not that desparate for all this nostalgia

    As far as Rpseanne herself: If it was justwhat she posted about Chelsea Clinton, then you could wave it away. But there is no way anyone can defend that racist tweet. Even she realize she went too far. She didn't just cross that line, she pole-vaulted over it.

    this a textbook example why most of us should not be on twitter
  • I love that justice was served swiftly, but as Sara Gilbert said, a lot of people were depending on the jobs the show provided. Most of the cast will end up just fine, but the more minor character actors probably won't. It sucks that a loudmouth racist had to ruin it for everyone - then again, they knew who/what they were dealing with when they signed on. I did watch the reboot. It was fine, nothing really special. I won't miss it.
  • thats what I am really outraged over, because she could simply not keep her mouth shut (or twitter off (trying VERY hard to not draw (easy) comparisons to a certain orange skinned dictator)... but due to her...stupidity? a lot of very very good people lost their JOBS and livelihood...

    Galecki and the rest will certainly bounce back...(the husband, whose name I am drawing a blank on) is doing enough voice work alone to pay the bills...so...

    but the camera operators, gaffes, lighting folks...they were picked up and probably making plans for kids in college, braces for kids teeth, mortgage, etc...sigh :(
  • I'm old enough to remember when Roseanne first started as a comedian. I loved her. When her original show aired I thought it was very true-to-life (although Roseanne was no actress). But after that show things seemed to go south quickly. Now she's using Ambien as an excuse. Funny, I don't remember racism as a side effect.
  • I wonder if the crew are maybe employees of ABC and not specific to the Roseanne show? I sure hope so. Some of the actors are currently working on other things or are movie stars in their own right (John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, and Sara Gilbert has other stuff going), but I worry about the actor who plays DJ and all of the kids (not Becky so much - she should really find another career, her scenes were painful).
  • Freynika said:

    I wonder if the crew are maybe employees of ABC and not specific to the Roseanne show? I sure hope so.

    They are more likely employees of the production compan(y)(ies), and my understanding is that, generally speaking, crew are freelancers (independent contractors), and are employed only when there is actual producing happening. No production, no work.

  • I'm conflicted. I think the idea of having a Roseanne type show was good for television, in terms of exploring many of the issues that they brought up. But clearly, Roseanne herself is a powder-keg of poor impulse control, so good for ABC for drawing the line. I half wonder if ABC would be willing to continue the show with her character killed off by pill overdose. Legally probably not able to happen, since she was the show creator, but I would be much more willing to watch the rest of the Conner clan without her.
    Can someone also explain to me why she was tweeting about Valerie Jerrett? I know who Jerrett is and why Trump types would like her, but has Jerrett done something recently that was newsworthy? It just seemed really odd and out of the blue otherwise.
  • Lucydevil said:


    Can someone also explain to me why she was tweeting about Valerie Jerrett? I know who Jerrett is and why Trump types would like her, but has Jerrett done something recently that was newsworthy? It just seemed really odd and out of the blue otherwise.

    It seems pretty random.

    Oh, hang on. It appears that Newt Gingrich recently claimed that she and Barack were behind what these folks call "Spygate". https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/newt-obama-and-valerie-jarrett-behind-spying-trying-to-frame-trump/ That appearance on Fox News was just a few days before her goofy tweet.

  • edited May 31
    Oh, this just keeps getting better(?).

    From the New York Times: Ms. Barr claimed she did not know Ms. Jarrett was African-American. “I thought she was Saudi,” she said to one supporter. To others, she tweeted that she believed Ms. Jarrett was “Jewish and Persian.”

    Thus proving the old saying, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak (or tweet) and to remove all doubt.
  • I just ADORE Ambiens response to this whole thing ("the ambien made me racists' (laughable) defense...
  • On a slightly off-topic-but-related note, I'll be seeing Laurie Metcalf in Three Tall Women this Saturday; so excited!
  • nolakent said:

    On a slightly off-topic-but-related note, I'll be seeing Laurie Metcalf in Three Tall Women this Saturday; so excited!

    Good for you, she is so talented. Who are other cat members.
  • Lilithcat said:

    Oh, this just keeps getting better(?).

    From the New York Times: Ms. Barr claimed she did not know Ms. Jarrett was African-American. “I thought she was Saudi,” she said to one supporter. To others, she tweeted that she believed Ms. Jarrett was “Jewish and Persian.”

    Thus proving the old saying, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak (or tweet) and to remove all doubt.

    The weird, she's Arab/Muslim/Iranian, (none of which are factual) so a racist slur that is used against African-American people, so it's a okay is just the most brazenly bizarre justification for it not being really racist. ( That sentence went sideways somewhere and I don't feel like editing
  • Lilithcat said:


    Oh, hang on. It appears that Newt Gingrich recently claimed that she and Barack were behind what these folks call "Spygate". https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/newt-obama-and-valerie-jarrett-behind-spying-trying-to-frame-trump/ That appearance on Fox News was just a few days before her goofy tweet.

    omg that article. I truly do not understand how these people think.


  • maschultz said:

    Lilithcat said:


    Oh, hang on. It appears that Newt Gingrich recently claimed that she and Barack were behind what these folks call "Spygate". https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/newt-obama-and-valerie-jarrett-behind-spying-trying-to-frame-trump/ That appearance on Fox News was just a few days before her goofy tweet.

    omg that article. I truly do not understand how these people think.


    Thinking, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...
  • maschultz said:

    Lilithcat said:


    Oh, hang on. It appears that Newt Gingrich recently claimed that she and Barack were behind what these folks call "Spygate". https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/newt-obama-and-valerie-jarrett-behind-spying-trying-to-frame-trump/ That appearance on Fox News was just a few days before her goofy tweet.

    omg that article. I truly do not understand how these people think.


    Thinking, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...
    Or, as we say in court, "Objection! Assumes a fact not in evidence."
  • nolakent said:

    On a slightly off-topic-but-related note, I'll be seeing Laurie Metcalf in Three Tall Women this Saturday; so excited!

    Good for you, she is so talented. Who are other cat members.
    The show was one of the best I've seen in the 40 years I've been seeing Broadway shows. The Tonys that she and Glenda Jackson won for the show were well-deserved.
Sign In or Register to comment.