What deliciousness are you famous for?

What does everyone always request you bring, the delicious thing your family and friends always want you to make?

I have several, but the top most inescapable one is Peanut Brittle.  I make dozens of batches of it throughout the month of December and ship it hither and yon.  

The question isn't limited to holiday treats, though ... just the deliciousness you're famous for making.

Comments

• This is my most recent deliciousness. :)

I'm still enjoying making it, but I am ready to perfect the next thing now. :)
  • Triple Layer Chocolate Cake. Three layers of chocolate cake, homemade whipped cream in the middle, and chocolate icing. If you leave it in the refrigerator overnight, the icing hardens into a fudge-like consistency. It is THE best.

It was my mother's recipe, I hadn't made it since she died in 2007. But I made it for my daughter's 18th birthday party in January, and I'm really glad I did. I've made it twice since then, and everybody loved it just as much as they ever had.
  • Taco dip!  It's a midwestern specialty (read: unhealthy)

Mix 8oz sour cream with 8oz softened cream cheese, spread on a cookie sheet.  Top with salsa, shredded cheese, lettuce, sliced olives, avocado, black beans, whatever you like.  Serve with tortilla chips.  Always, always a hit.
  • Couldn't be easier, but the family calls it The Crack.

Equal parts softened cream cheese and marshmallow fluff, beaten until smooth.

Amazing on fruit, brownies, pound cake, etc.
  • Home baked bread. I bake loaves and loaves of it at Christmas. And I got a marriage proposal over my cinnamon buns once. But you have to get up at 4:00am to make those for breakfast, so no friggin way...
  • 3-layer cheesecake, hazelnut brownies, grilled halloumi salad with garlic croutons
  • I was known as the Cookie Girl at my last job. My go-to was chocolate chip (I make them kind of cakey) but for fundraisers I'd make cherry chocolate chip. I also made boston creme bars but the clean up on those was a pain in the butt.
  • At work, it's infused waters and ancient grain salads. At home, macaroni and cheese or meals that consist of, as we put it, shit we've stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon.
  • Caramels

super easy but a labor of time as far as stove stirring

• JocastaDeVilleneuve, you're going to put "hazelnut brownies, 3 layer cheesecake" up there with no recipes? You're gonna do us like that?

• It's been my unofficial job for the past several years now to make the gravy at family functions where some kind of turkey or roast is being served.

My #1 request when people come over is omelets, but also pasta/baked pasta dishes and when my sister visits, it's curry.
  • "My" (not mine...) white chocolate and cranberry blondies and dark chocolate and cherry brownies are much in demand. I don't often make things more than once though so I've not developed a signature. At home, most requested are peshwari naan and friands.
  • Chocolate-peanut butter cake.  Dark chocolate cake, filled with peanut butter frosting, then frosted with both chocolate and PB frostings.  My family generally doesn't let me make anything else for their birthdays. 

The peanut butter frosting is the first frosting recipe I created after taking several cake decorating classes, so I'm particularly proud of it.

• My meatloaf and spicy creamy chicken soup. 
  • My shitake mushroom, red wine cream sauce for steak & chicken

• All of mine come out once a year and once a year only.

The Bacon Explosion (for the Super Bowl): bacon wrapped in sausage wrapped in bacon.

Cornbread-apple-sausage stuffing with an absurd amount of butter and sausage grease at Thanksgiving. Also the gingersnap-thickened gravy that goes on the turkey. Normally I eat Paleo, but we go a little cray-cray for the holidays.
  • Toll House Pie at Thanksgiving.

Chocolate chip snowballs at Christmas.

Pretty much any other time I am the designated dessert girl. 
  • My banana bread is much-loved at work functions, which is good, because I like to cook but my baking skills don't extend much beyond banana bread.
  • Pie -- probably blueberry is the most requested, with apple a close second.
  • I love to cook. Wooed the current BF by making steak with bearnaise sauce. Course, red meat always works on men. They're so predictable. My nachos are legendary. Taking stuff for work is usually cookies or some type of sweet bread/coffee cake.

I've won 2 baking contests with Edna Lewis' version of Lane Cake. 
  • JocastaDeVilleneuve, you're going to put "hazelnut brownies, 3 layer cheesecake" up there with no recipes? You're gonna do us like that?

I'd love to give the recipes, but... I just went to get the recipe book that had both recipes in it (I haven't made either after I moved, because I have no counter space for baking) and can't find it anywhere. Lost somewhere during the move, probably. I have to believe it'll turn up at some point. (At which point, I'll gladly post the recipes too.)

Dammit!
  • My shitake mushroom, red wine cream sauce for steak & chicken

Mmmm. Recipe please?

I don't really have a signature recipe as I'm always trying out new things on people. The heck with tried and true, my theory is you must try out your untested things on other people. Then if it fails, and it has, blue cheese appetizer cheesecake anyone?, everyone has still had fun together and a memory!

However, I have made Ina Garten's coconut cake for more than one occasion, upon request, with rave reviews. Time-consuming and absolutely scrumptious.
  • @Qitkat I love savoury cheesecakes!
  • @foodycatAlicia Me too! But something was way off with whatever I made, I don't really recall but there were lots of chopped veggies involved too, and flavors just did not play nice together!

• @foodycatAlicia Me too! But something was way off with whatever I made, I don't really recall but there were lots of chopped veggies involved too, and flavors just did not play nice together!

• I am not allowed in the door at family reunions unless I am carrying either a big pot of kielbasa and sauerkraut or large trays of home-made pierogi.

I camp for a week every summer with friends, and home-made bread from the dutch oven is always a hit.

I also make Mexican wedding cookies at Christmastime which are the favorite for most in the cookie assortment.
  • I am deeply jealous of all of you who are good at baked goods. Especially @altalinda, who can make blueberry pie. I'd give a lot to be able to make a nice pie crust.

(then again, if I were good at making baked goods, I'd probably have to work out a lot harder to negate the damage)
  • I am deeply jealous of all of you who are good at baked goods. Especially @altalinda, who can make blueberry pie. I'd give a lot to be able to make a nice pie crust.

(then again, if I were good at making baked goods, I'd probably have to work out a lot harder to negate the damage)
  • Hi., Qitkat-  There's not much of a recipe for the mushroom sauce.  I like shitakes the best so I use them but you can use any kind of mushroom. 

Slice about a pound of  mushrooms a little thinner than 1/4 inch & sauté in butter on moderate heat to brown them a little.  Let the mushroom juice evaporate some.  Up the heat and add about 1-1 1/4 cups of red wine (I use cabernet sauvignon or merlot). Reduce the wine by about half and add 1/2 cup of cream.  Reduce further til the sauce slightly thickens & coats the back of a wooden spoon.  Taste for seasoning;  salt is essential. 

The first time I made this I didn't salt  it and it was awful; the salt makes all the difference.  Add pepper to taste.  It's best served as soon as it's made, but if you have to reheat it do it VERY GENTLY or the sauce will break.  This is excellent on steaks & works well with chicken too.  My daughter puts it on mashed potatoes. 

I made a large batch once when on vacation in the Outer Banks with several families.  After saucing our grilled steaks with it, I put the leftovers in the fridge.  In the morning, 3 of the kids were eating it straight from the fridge with a spoon, including the kid who said she hated mushrooms.  You can double  or triple the recipe.  Everyone who has tried it loved it.  I thought the purplish color might put people off but no one has had a problem with the color.  Enjoy!

• edited February 2015
    My husband always requests this recipe for Adobo-Seasoned wings for BBQs and Superbowl parties.  I use Huy Fong Sriracha as the hot sauce.  At this year's SB party, these Game Day Nachos got a lot of raves (I skipped the radishes, though).

He's also over the moon about a certain lobster recipe and one for green beans that are cooked with honey, garlic, and Sriracha.  Both can be found over at allrecipes.com.