What deliciousness are you famous for?

Comments

• Does anybody know how to make Lemon Rice? My daughter used to babysit for an Indian family and the woman would just whip up a batch for her basically on request. Then I dragged her here to the wilds of NC and noplace makes it good. I make pretty good Samosas, but my Lemon Rice makes her sad and a little bit hostile.
  • @cakewalkqueen A friend from Las Vegas, NM taught my husband and I his grandmother's green chili chicken enchiladas recipe and it had become our go to dish for potlucks.
  • @OffToSeeHim this is the lemon rice recipe that I use. I think it's really nice, but your daughter may disagree!

• GeoDiva said:
    @cakewalkqueen A friend from Las Vegas, NM taught my husband and I his grandmother's green chili chicken enchiladas recipe and it had become our go to dish for potlucks.
    Nothing tops NM green chile! 
  • Whenever I go to a party or family gathering, my go-to is Stuffed Mushrooms. 

I have people HOVERING AROUND THE STOVE when I pull them out and they disappear in minutes.

I guess that means they're good (I dont eat stuffed mushrooms so I dont know)
  • @SarahBeth: what do you stuff them with?
  • Chocolate Chip cookies, blueberry muffins, and fried chicken. The chicken is only for family, but I take the cookies and muffins to the office occasionally. I can't take fewer than five dozen of either for an office of about 30, or we'll run out before lunchtime.
  • What I'm known for doesn't involve cooking or baking...that tells you what kind of cook I am. But I am famous for my guacamole. It requires a lot of chopping but it's yummy.
  • @SarahBeth: what do you stuff them with?
    Its this recipe that I use - its super easy. The only change I make is that I chop up the stems and cook them, as well as throw the mint in with the stems so it blooms. 

• My daughter only gets to visit once or twice a year and absolutely craves my deviled eggs. The yolks, mayo, salt and pepper, and a bit of plain old yellow mustard are the base, then the goodies get mixed in - finely chopped sweet pickles and celery, bacon cooked, cooled and crumbled, and then the oddball ingredient, canned water chestnuts, chopped finely for some extra crunch. Heap a pile of of the filling on the egg white halves and forget your cholesterol for the week. 

• Hstrylvr said:
    @Gemfemme, which cookbooks did you study?  I love Indian food, and would love to be able to make my own since my taste buds and stomach can't handle the spiciness I sometimes get at restaurants.  

@Stellavision, Bacon Explosion?  It sounds dangerous and intriguing.  Is there a recipe or technique?  

My family loves my Key Lime Pie and Pumpkin Cake Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting.  I tried Taco Soup for me once, but I had never used Rotel before, so I didn't know even the mild can would be too spicy for me.  I ended up taking in to work, and my student workers ate it up.  They now request it frequently.  

I used a book called 1001 Indian Recipes. We got it through Amazon. It's a UK published book. I've referenced it so much that the cover is now gone and the book is in three pieces! Isn't cream cheese frosting divine?
  • I'm famous for truffles, or maybe they're technically bon-bons since they're molded.  I make about 35 different flavors every November/December and sell them so I can afford to buy Christmas presents.  They must be good, I always turn a decent profit.  I also use professional molds, so I can knock them out fairly quickly, getting the full run of them done in about 3 weeks, and that's only evenings when my kids have gone to bed, and a few weekend hours.  They look like anything you'd buy from a real chocolatier, but fresher and as local/fair trade/organic as I can afford to make them, and also with more inventive flavors.  My newest addition to my repetoire is the Rusty Nail truffle, since I'm into scotch.  I'm eventually going to build a real business around them, once the twins get older and I have more time on my hands.  I'm hoping to build the business to pass down to them.  Oh, and I'm also famous for my sea salt caramel. 

For not baking, I'm pretty famous for my risotto and mashed potatoes.  The risotto is a modified Giada recipe, but the mashed potatoes are all my own.

• I (self) published a cookbook awhile back ("No More Fat Bears").

my 2 'infamous' recipes are my "Infamous Apple Lasagna" (a friend used to host an orphans holiday party, one year he called to invite me and said that um...he was basically invited me so I would bring the apple lasagna...so I made an extra pan (despite the fact that he (thought) he was waaay out of my league and I am fat and ugly...so NOT in his 'league')

and Banana Curry Dip (with apricot preserves) a (chef) friend suggested serving it with ginger snaps- works even better!

I am also very proud of 'healthy-ing' my grandmothers (VERY southern) Squash Pudding recipe.
  • My infamous recipe is a flourless chocolate torte -- one of those death by chocolate and cholesterol kind of things. The truly decadent thing that I usually do with it is to glaze it with either a white chocolate glaze, or an 70% or better chocolate ganache.  I've gotten one or two offers of marriage out of that recipe.
  • I (self) published a cookbook awhile back ("No More Fat Bears").

my 2 'infamous' recipes are my "Infamous Apple Lasagna" (a friend used to host an orphans holiday party, one year he called to invite me and said that um...he was basically invited me so I would bring the apple lasagna...so I made an extra pan (despite the fact that he (thought) he was waaay out of my league and I am fat and ugly...so NOT in his 'league')

and Banana Curry Dip (with apricot preserves) a (chef) friend suggested serving it with ginger snaps- works even better!

I am also very proud of 'healthy-ing' my grandmothers (VERY southern) Squash Pudding recipe.

That apple lasagna sounds absolutely delicious. Are you willing to share your recipe?  

• Freynika What sort of candy thermometer do you use?  I'm realizing since my experiments with caramel began that I kinda need one in order to less stressfully get to the softball stage.  We have a bum stove, which is fine for cooking but it makes candy making kinda difficult.
  • I'd say for social gatherings I'm most known for CHEESE BALLS. I can thank Amy Sedaris. Her Lil' Smoky is always a hit and at this point people are visibly disappointed if I show up without one.

Deviled eggs...largely because we have chickens, so our eggs are delicious. I make them nice and zesty with horseradish or wasabi.

I also tend to make people really happy with my mashed potatoes. (My secret? Caramelized onions folded in.)
  • My go-to hits are seafood gumbo and jambalaya; I make a pretty mean paella as well.  For Christmas this year I had several neighbors over for bouillabaisse, which turned out awesome (I love the freshness of the orange and fennel).

• alloyjane said:
    Freynika What sort of candy thermometer do you use?  I'm realizing since my experiments with caramel began that I kinda need one in order to less stressfully get to the softball stage.  We have a bum stove, which is fine for cooking but it makes candy making kinda difficult.
    I've been using a cheap glass one for as long as I've been doing this.  It's been pretty reliable and clips to my pot easily.  I've got an instant-read thingy, but I can't bring myself to use it when my old one works perfectly well-enough.
  • oh, folks love my 2 minute trifle...
    1 trifle dish
    2 containers low fat/low sugar yogurt (theme of....strawberry? so strawberry cheesecake yogurt)--layer 1
    1 sugar free/fat free angel food cake (cut in half) 1/2 layer 2
    1 or 2 jars strawberry all fruit (nuke it for a sec if you want) layer 3
    other 1/2 of s/f,ff angel food cake
    1 container (thawed) s/f whipped topping next layer
    1 package sliced strawberries=topping/last layer

I can make this in about 2 minutes in the corner....folks love it.

you can do all kinds of variations, chocolate, peaches, rainbow, grasshopper (mint/choc chip) cookies flavors, etc...
  • lasagne--my husband and I make he spinach pasta, bolognese sauce, and bechamel

Fresh ricotta cheese--best on bread, makes great ricotta gnocchi and great on pancakes

Big cakes--my current favorite is a dark chocolate cake with salted caramel butter cream between the layers and chocolate  ganache as outer frosting
  • My Tres Leches Cake-- King Arthur Flour's recipe, with added coconut milk.  Quatros Leches, actually.  Served without icing, but drizzled with Kahlua.  Better after a day or so.
  • Curried Chicken Salad! Chicken, curry, mayo, mustard, hard boiled eggs, and lots of other spices. My friends and family love it. I'm also the Designated Drink Maker, but that's another thread... :-)

• We had @GemFemme's beef dry fry and tomato rasam tonight - both absolutely delicious!
  • We had @GemFemme's beef dry fry and tomato rasam tonight - both absolutely delicious!

Jinx! We had it tonight too! Have you ever had Chicken DoPiaza, a North Indian dish? I'm making that Thursday. The yogurt and saffron used make it rich and yummy.
  • @Gemfemme let's say I have never had it the way it is supposed to be! A lot of British curry houses seem to just have a pot of red sauce, a pot of green sauce and a pot of brown sauce out the back, and if you order a chicken dopiaza they'll chuck pre-cooked chunks of chicken into some brown sauce and add a few onions. Everything ends up tasting the same instead of having the very specific different flavours that you usually look for when you are planning an Indian meal.

Husbeast loved the rasam - it was perfect with idli!
  • Let me know if you want the recipe.
  • I'm known for my scones, when I get into baking mode.  I also make a pretty good yeast-less pizza crust. Both of these are requested when I visit friends.
  • I make awesome 'white-chocolate cheesecake with raspberry cookies' (it's a mouthful), they're hot commodities around here for holidays. 

My Mr.Cricket makes wondrous coffee, it's a huge part of how we remain married :P He never drinks it, but oh man, dude has a gift. 
  • GeoDiva said:
    @cakewalkqueen A friend from Las Vegas, NM taught my husband and I his grandmother's green chili chicken enchiladas recipe and it had become our go to dish for potlucks.

@GeoDiva, did we ever get a recipe for this? I made Stouffer's enchiladas for my kids two nights ago (don't judge me) and I thought they'd be gross, but they were really good. I'd love to have a homemade recipe.