Still in style? Needs to be out of style? Please come back in style?

Comments

• skftex said:

So are low cut jeans out of style yet? Especially two sizes too small so you get muffin top and get to see the butt crack PLUS the thong every time someone sits down? Pleaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeeee?

This isn't in style. People are just stupid.

It seems to be where I live, or at least at the university I attended. Maybe it is because I was twice the age as most of the students that it just seemed to be everywhere to me. HAHA
  • edited February 2015
    I should clarify. It doesn't look good on ANYONE. It's not stylish. It's not in fashion. It's just people squishing themselves into poorly fitting jeans. And for that, they are stupid. In my humble opinion. 

• I should clarify. It doesn't look good on ANYONE. It's not stylish. It's not in fashion. It's just people squishing themselves into poorly fitting jeans. And for that, they are stupid. In my humble opinion. 

To keep from getting annoyed at the "squished into their jeans" girls and the "so loose they're jeans are falling down" boys I amuse myself with the thought that 30 years from now they will be cringing at pictures of themselves.
  • edited February 2015
    @BillyWilderFan ; I knew what you meant, but when everyone is doing it, or at least every girl in her early 20s anyway, it seems to me it is "in style" at least for the area that it is happening in right? Whether we like it or not.  But even if not, low cut jeans, whether too tight or not, are or at least were in style and considered fashion and a lot of what I was talking about had to do with the low cut of the jeans, not just that they were too tight.
  • It's been challenging enough for me to even find jeans that fit me properly that for years I haven't cared whether they are in style or not, as long as they fit. And then I wear them til they start to fall apart. When I do shop for a new pair, I do hate finding only blinged out over embroidered jeans that sit 4 inches below my natural waist and have a 3 inch zipper. What's up with that? Ridiculous!

It's probably not been in style for ages, but I still wear my fringed suede Ralph Lauren jacket (a splurge from 10+ years ago), and love it. The surprising thing is that I get a compliment on it almost every time I wear it.
  • I should clarify. It doesn't look good on ANYONE. It's not stylish. It's not in fashion. It's just people squishing themselves into poorly fitting jeans. And for that, they are stupid. In my humble opinion. 

I recently saw a gal with a muffin top that must've extended a good 4 inches over the edge of her pants.  How is that not painful?!?
  • I shall preface this with wear what you want to wear/what suits you etc etc.

Boot cut jeans are not especially in vogue and haven't been for many years. It's all about skinnies and straight legs with a dash of the dreaded boyfriend jeans (only look good on the super skinny in my opinion). If you don't like skinnies, get straight legged jeans, much more flattering for those of us not blessed with perfect pins. Flares are back this season but not boot leg.

Yes, wide legged trousers are back this season! Game on.
    Is there an exception for jeans you wear with actual boots? I have one pair of bootcut jeans that I keep just for wearing with boots. Skinnies tucked in to boots doesn't really work for me. The knees get baggy, they pull down at the waist, and they never really fit into the calf very comfortably.
  • I just felt a need to share that apparently Jnco jeans are planning on making a comeback.  I've told my inner teenager to not even think about it.
  • Stovepipe jeans are a good middle ground between boot cut and skinnies. 
  • @emily - wait, are you serious? I HATED those the first go round, I'm not sure I can handle a comeback!

Also remember when all pants had a racing stripe down the side? What was that all about?
  • @em_elle

Dead serious.  There was an article about it and everything.
  • em_elle said:
    Also remember when all pants had a racing stripe down the side? What was that all about?
    I think they were intended to mimic tuxedo pants.
  • edited February 2015
    I think colors are the main thing that irritate me for going in and out of style. I wish all of the colors were available all of the time. Especially I wish crazy shoes were crazy colorful instead of being crazy by having weird heels or too much bulk.

Crop tops need to go back out of style, IMO. They only look good on a small portion of the population, and the ratio of places in which it's appropriate to wear them to places they are not appropriate is about 1:5. 

The thing I really wish would come back into style are the kind of mens dress shoes where the sole doesn't jut out around the shoe. All my dad's were like this, but I can't find any ANYWHERE for my fiance. Maybe I need to start a thread for that.
  • I think colors are the main thing that irritate me for going in and out of style. I wish all of the colors were available all of the time.

That reminds me of the great scene in "The Devil Wears Prada" where Miranda is expounding on the color blue.
  • em_elle said:
    I think they were intended to mimic tuxedo pants.

LOL. That never occurred to me. I find this hilarious.
  • There have only been two women in the history of the planet that looked good wearing capri pants: Audrey Hepburn and Mary Tyler Moore.  I would be more than fine to never see them on anyone else.
  • Zoeg said:
    I think colors are the main thing that irritate me for going in and out of style. I wish all of the colors were available all of the time.

That reminds me of the great scene in "The Devil Wears Prada" where Miranda is expounding on the color blue.

It's actually cerulean blue. Miranda would purse her lips at you. 

• edited February 2015
    @TravelingDesign ; Quite right (bows head in shame)  :-)
  • I wear cropped trousers all the time, I adore them. I am no Audrey Hepburn but I think I look pretty good in them!
  • But when we are talking about capri pants, are we talking about the MTM capri pants

or are we talking about the 2014 capri pant?
    because to me, that bottom picture is what 80% of the women in America think looks good (flip flops included) and is all that is wrong with our country.

• @BookGirl ; I agree.  Even MTM wouldn't look good in that second outfit.
  • The latter have no place in this world.
  • LOL! MTM was such a goddamn babe. And that pant length is my go-to. I don't care if I'm short & it's "not flattering". I love cropped/ankle length/floods!

Those capri pants need to burn in hell.
  • Emily said:
    I just felt a need to share that apparently Jnco jeans are planning on making a comeback.  I've told my inner teenager to not even think about it.
    I had never heard of Jnco jeans and finally got around to googling them.  And all I can say is "ignorance is bliss".  I guess I was lucky to miss seeing them first time around because if I had I would remember that.  Fingers crossed I can miss the comeback.
  • Needs to be out of style:
    skinny jeans
    low-cut jeans
    pathetic small jewelry, particularly tiny pendent necklaces are a pet hate of mine. You may as well not wear jewelry at all.

Still in style/Please come back in style:
    boot-cut jeans
    higher cut jeans
    decent sized jewelry - jewelry these days is either ridiculously bling or so small that it's not worth wearing. Could we not have a middle ground?!
    gold jewelry - many people I know consider gold jewelry tacky, but IMO it doesn't have to be. Gold jewelry can be tasteful, for example if you wear one statement piece and it can be a good way of dressing up a very simple outfit.

• I hope skinny jeans never go out of style because they are one of the very few cuts of jeans that look good on me. I have a very slim, boyish figure. Boot-cut and straight-leg jeans give me no shape. Skinny jeans allow me to illusion myself into a womanly figure. Plus, the kind I buy all sit about 1 inch below my navel, which to me is the perfect "cut" (not high or low).
  • I hope skinny jeans never go out of style because they are one of the very few cuts of jeans that look good on me. I have a very slim, boyish figure. Boot-cut and straight-leg jeans give me no shape. Skinny jeans allow me to illusion myself into a womanly figure. Plus, the kind I buy all sit about 1 inch below my navel, which to me is the perfect "cut" (not high or low).

Yes!! Oh man I was getting so sad reading through this thread... Skinny jeans + short boots are my every day go to this winter! I think they give me better proportions with bulky sweaters than my boot cut / straight leg options

Yes!! Oh man I was getting so sad reading through this thread... Skinny jeans + short boots are my every day go to this winter! I think they give me better proportions with bulky sweaters than my boot cut / straight leg options
    I think you are right. Bulky sweaters/voluminous coats look much better with skinny or slim cut jeans than boot cut.
  • Yes, I love my skinny jeans, but then I have the figure for which they are intended. 
    Needs to go out of style:
    Sneaker wedges––I have a passionate hatred for these
    asymmetrical skirts (make up your mind)

• I'm happy to see higher waisted wideleg pants coming back in style. I think they're due for a resurgence, and I think the parket is out there. I sell vintage clothing on Etsy and recently sold a pair of 1970s elephant bell blue jeans there. I got emails for the next couple of weeks from prospective buyers who were hoping I could source another pair for them.

I'm with Qitkat on loathing blinged out jeans. I don't need any rhinestones, embroidery, lace trim, braid trim or extra studs - just give me a pair of jeans that fit and flatter.

Ditto to opentoe boots, the oxymoron (sorta) of footwear.