Still in style? Needs to be out of style? Please come back in style?

Comments

• Open toe boots -- never mix two seasons in one shoe.
  • http://www.allure.com

An article about the trends that need to be retired.

That just took me to the magazine's homepage, not to any specific article.

I'm really sick of seeing long, sheer, flowy skirts that have a short, tight underskirt.

That just took me to the magazine's homepage, not to any specific article.

I'm really sick of seeing long, sheer, flowy skirts that have a short, tight underskirt.
    Here ya go...
  • I want slips that aren't shape wear to come back. I neeeeed them! I enjoy skinny jeans even though I have too much booty. I'm petite enough that people don't notice. Also I would like petite wear that isn't boxy and short legged to come into style. The fact that I'm short doesn't make me stumpy legged and barrel chested. Also A-line skirts that fall below mid-thigh rendered in non-neon colors for the under 30 crowd please. I'm at the age where I need to look professional, but don't want to dress a decade older.
  • I like boot cut jeans, but I also really like the straight leg styles available these days. Don't much care for skinny jeans, even though I do have the figure for them. If Stitch Fix is anything to go by, wide-leg trousers are indeed back, because I got a great pair of wide-leg trouser-style jeans from them.

What is the verdict on shoulder pads? I just got a new french terry blazer (also from Stitch Fix) and it has shoulder pads. I'm not sure if I should take them out or leave them in.

Also, a trend I really want to go away is ankle-length pants. I'm short, ankle pants make me look shorter. They also remind me of all the times I bought petite pants because they fit my narrow hips better, but then they would be too short, because I'm 5'3" with a short torso and long legs. But even now that I've gained enough weight to fit into a normal size 0, it's all ankle-length trousers. Why?
  • This is just the opinion of a 60 year-old woman who may not be considered stylish, but who does know what she likes.  It depends on the should pad.

I like the 40s style shoulder pads ala Joan Crawford in tailored jackets, but LOATHE the 80s version that make a woman look like a fullback.  The 40s style shoulder pads make the shoulders of the jacket look squared off while the 80s version is too rounded.  I actually was given a bathrobe with rounded shoulder pads back sometime in the 80s.  It was without a doubt the ugliest garment I have ever owned!  A friend saw it and said "Shoulder pads in a housecoat?"  I could not get rid of that POS fast enough.
  • Athenrein said:
    What is the verdict on shoulder pads? I just got a new french terry blazer (also from Stitch Fix) and it has shoulder pads. I'm not sure if I should take them out or leave them in.

Also, a trend I really want to go away is ankle-length pants. I'm short, ankle pants make me look shorter. They also remind me of all the times I bought petite pants because they fit my narrow hips better, but then they would be too short, because I'm 5'3" with a short torso and long legs. But even now that I've gained enough weight to fit into a normal size 0, it's all ankle-length trousers. Why?
    I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer to your shoulder pad query, it all depends on your shoulders!  I have linebacker shoulders, so I try not to ever add any bulk there.  But a narrow-shouldered woman with a big bust looks awesome with shoulder pads to strengthen the shoulder and draw attention away from the bust.

The ankle pants work for me because I have the opposite proportion - mile long torso and short legs.  I don't like petite pants because my waist-crotch measurement is not short, so if I but regular pants in ankle length, they actually end up being normal length on me.
  • @athenrein ; Finally, another person who has had to deal with the smaller than size 0 and narrow hips problem! That was me  all through my 20s and I was so happy when I was able to fit into regular size 0 without alterations. By my 40s I managed to work my way up to a size 4. I'm now 62 years old and size 6. I don't know about you, but it's a constant struggle for me to keep the pounds on. But try to get any sympathy about that from anyone  :-)

I completely agree with @Munchkn about shoulder pads. During the 80s I always removed the shoulder pads from everything. Partly it was because I'm broad shouldered and didn't need them, but also it was such an unflattering look.
  • I have a 34" inseam and some booty, so I'd love for flares to come back in. I'm being selfish, I know, but I'm top heavy, so skinny jeans make me look like Big Bird. In skis.

A slip, a slip, my kingdom for a slip.

I try not to body-snark and I run with a crowd of pretty militant 3rd wave feminists, but leggings as pants, like with a cropped top, are not my favorite. I am a strong believer in celebrating the sacred feminine in all her forms, but it's weird that it somehow became okay to traipse into the office with the outline of your delicate flower fully visible to all passers by.
  • @Zoeg Yep, I recently turned 30 and pants started fitting. It's nice to be able to shop more easily. At one point people thought I was anorexic. My answer was always "you must have never seen me eat" because food is the best. Though now I have to start seriously exercising to make sure I build muscle and bone density instead of just fat settling in.

I think I'm gonna keep the shoulder pads.
  • For those of you looking for slips: I just looked on the Vermont Country Store web site (www.vermontcountrystore.com), and they carry both full and half slips. 
  • Zoeg said:
    Emily said:
    I just felt a need to share that apparently Jnco jeans are planning on making a comeback.  I've told my inner teenager to not even think about it.
    I had never heard of Jnco jeans and finally got around to googling them.  And all I can say is "ignorance is bliss".  I guess I was lucky to miss seeing them first time around because if I had I would remember that.  Fingers crossed I can miss the comeback.
    I never heard of them either, but I'm not/wasn't the target market. But here's a recent article from Esquire on the comeback:
  • I'm in my late twenties, so I'm constitutionally unable to hate skinny jeans. I'm super petite, so I LOVE skinny jeans because most of the petite styles don't need to be hemmed. Plus, if you're annoyed about wearing them with boots or having them bunch around your knees, then what you need are jeggings -- they're like jean material leggings (thicker weight than most leggings, but thinner than most jeans) but with some stretch and give. I have two pair and they're (I swear, even if you don't believe me) the most comfortable jeans I own. 

I do have a few pairs of boot-cut jeans that I love ... but I mostly wear them at home on the weekend. My work look is a dress with flats (in the summer) or boots (in the winter). So yay dresses! I shop mostly secondhand though (ebay or goodwill), so I'm able to find nice things that may be a few years out of date, but with modern accessories, still look appropriate. 

I, too, hate HATE shirts with elastic along the bottom hem, but those have been out of style for a few years now, so maybe they can be consigned to the dustbin of fashion history. 
  • What I want to come back in style: leggings. I know, Ive been told that they dont look good on ANYONE, no matter how thin they are, but in my mind..well, I love them, With a long sweater or blousy top, long enough to cover your tummy and hips, and pretty ballet flats, Its one look I really go for.Being chronically and periodically
     overweight, this is one look i just love. Also, I love straight leg jeans, ( moderately straight,not so much the extreme tapered look,) I think they are flattering and balance everything out, my mother is 85 and has a pair and they make her look so young.

What I wish would go out of style: Its been a VERY long wait and Im still waiting, but every year I hope and pray. Tube top wedding gowns. please, if I see one more bride that looks like she just stepped out of the shower, I'll scream. Please bring back sleeves and lace neck pieces..At least wear a lacy shrug for the ceremony.

Denim thigh length dresses with embroidered apples or some other silly applique on the front. usually seen on grade school teachers. Visual B/C, most effective paired with turtlenecks.

Anything with glitter,bows,floppy buttons, animal prints, stupid poetry or things that are supposed to be cutesy, such as kittens, or (Worlds best grandma) in a basket.these are usually found in the plus sized sections.

scrubs when you don't work in an industry that requires them. For some reason, these tops have become a go to "fashion" for the overweight and..just..no.

Oh dear lord, I hope and pray to the fashion gods above that flip flops will be banished from this earth for all eternity and that those that encourage them be damned in hell. Here comes summer and what I have dubbed, the flip flop families will be flopping through the grocery store, mom in hers,all the kids in theirs,trailing along behind, whining, carrying on, flopping down the aisles..like  fingernails down a blackboard. I see lazy, cant take the time to wear real shoes people.

What I think is pretty much in style that I adore: White canvas keds(or the economy version) they look adorable with jeans and jean Capri(pedal pushers for those who remember..) and summer beach dresses..love them.

flowy, babydoll, shirred,gathered, or smocked summer tops. these are absolutely adorable if not a crop top, (which shouldn't be on anyone over the age of 14) either with spaghetti straps or blocky straps(?) I LOVE them.

for the yard only: Crocs. Say what you will about crocs, but to me, they are like walking in marshmallow land.They don't wear out, they are like wearing nothing at all. I wont wear them past the driveway though because I know how awful they look in general. definitely visual Birth control.

Pea coats: I love them and have 4 of them. Do they still wear them?

Anything with a hood attached. instant cute just ad hood.

As you can surmise from my likes and dislikes here: im not into glamor. that's ok. glamor isn't really me. If I dress up, it would be more pretty than elegant. That's my two cents.

skater dresses: can't wear them, unless i become 15 and 110 lbs again. but they really are so adorable. you have to have the right body for it though.

sun suits, playsuits, jump suits and overalls. LOVE them. Again, see above comment about age appropriateness, and weight.

sun dresses: LOVE them but not for everyone. A  weight in the lower digits, really needs to be an issue here.

beautifully designed leather sandals(think Birkenstocks), the kind you'd drop a bunch of cash for at the high end shoe stores. I have two pairs that ?I found at the salvation army and I LOVE them. beautiful with casual, flowy summer dresses.

• I should clarify. It doesn't look good on ANYONE. It's not stylish. It's not in fashion. It's just people squishing themselves into poorly fitting jeans. And for that, they are stupid. In my humble opinion.

This recalls what my mother used to say to me as a grade school girl, back in the mid 60s as she painfully, tried to brush the knots out of my long frizzy hair. she would say:"my mother would say that woman have to suffer to be beautiful" and on most accounts she nailed it. woman suffer, (or have suffered in the past), greatly for the opportunity to look sexy, painful shoes, painful girdles,(long line and short) painful corsets, stays, painful wire bras. but
    squeezing yourself into a size too small jeans for the sake of looking trendy and "cool" is just todays version of foolishness. Most girls under the age of 25 are fashion idiots in my (unsolicited) opinion anyway. My teenage years and early 20s were spent in jeans and t shirts(1970s)..but there are many age levels in this group so I dont really know who im preaching to here.

I recently saw a gal with a muffin top that must've extended a good 4 inches over the edge of her pants.  How is that not painful?!?

• I would like 100% cotton, minimal stretch jeans to come back in style. I used to have he perfect pair of black natural-waist bootcut jeans (very Joan Jett) that molded beautifully to me and never sagged awkwardly or had to be pulled up and always looked sexy and badass. They got too tight but I can't find a replacement (I got them from a thrift store in the first place). Le sigh.
  • Yeah, I REALLY miss the heavy, solid jeans - a *little* bit of stretch isn't a bad thing, but they're so flimsy now.

Same thing with wool coats. I have my stepdad's Navy wool peacoat, which is probably almost as old as I am, and it's hefty, solid wool. It's in dire need of having the lining stripped out and replaced. I thought about replacing it with a bridge coat (which is longer), but when we went to the commissary, all of the coats were noticeably much thinner. I don't mind dropping the $ on a coat I'll keep for thirty years, but dangit, I want something as warm as the one I started with!

Skinny jeans - I don't mind that they exist (and I finally found a pair that doesn't make me look like a stuffed sausage, halleljuah), but for the last 8-10 years they've dominated the selection. It's only in the last year or two that I've started seeing more relaxed options. Some of us have thighs not suited for straight and slim cuts!
  • Athenrein said:
    I like boot cut jeans, but I also really like the straight leg styles available these days. Don't much care for skinny jeans, even though I do have the figure for them. If Stitch Fix is anything to go by, wide-leg trousers are indeed back, because I got a great pair of wide-leg trouser-style jeans from them.

I spent the better half of the 90s, pulling shoulder pads out of thrift store finds..Im pretty sure they are gone for good.

• Did anyone else see this article about granny panties becoming popular?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/28/granny-panty-underwear-sales_n_7460524.html

• I'm just not a pantyhose girl, I've always hated them and always will. 
    I'd rather go bare legged, I will wear tights in the winter but that's it.  I hate nude pantyhose to the ends of the Earth (no offense to those who wear them.) Especially nude hose with open toed shoes, that to me screams old lady.

I haven't worn slips in years mostly casue you can't find them, I do have a few dresses that have special lining in the back of the dress only so that you don't have any panty lines.  

I wear skinnies and last week I wore my boot cut jeans cause they were clean and I just felt huge in them, blaming that on PMS. 

I do love ankle strap heels cause they are sexy and I feel sexy when I wear them which is a good thing.  Plus men like the look of them too.  

• @firebirdsinger I like!! I'm also thoroughly against strapless wedding dresse - whatever, wear what you want, brides, but I have linebacker shoulders and it's about a foot and a half from my boobs to the tops of my shoulders so I look full-on deformed.

Flip flops are my life.  My dog chewed my Rainbows and I cried.  In my defense, I live on the beach?

• Flip flops are my life.  My dog chewed my Rainbows and I cried.  In my defense, I live on the beach?
    I'm Australian - flipflops are my national dress ;) although I will only wear them as far as the corner shop unless there is a beach in my future. 
  • Zoeg said:
    Did anyone else see this article about granny panties becoming popular?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/28/granny-panty-underwear-sales_n_7460524.html

I would consider myself a feminist, but under no circumstances am I going to purposefully wear a huge pair of underwear just to prove I don't have to wear sexy lingerie.  I don't wear any little stringy things, but I do wear Wacoal, and a lot of their cut is a more retro shape without being enormous. 

guess what...I like feeling sexy. I like pretty underwear.  It makes me feel good to own it, and I don't have to wear a huge pair of cotton underwear to support the feminist movement.

/end rant.
  • Zoeg said:
    Did anyone else see this article about granny panties becoming popular?

I would consider myself a feminist, but under no circumstances am I going to purposefully wear a huge pair of underwear just to prove I don't have to wear sexy lingerie.  I don't wear any little stringy things, but I do wear Wacoal, and a lot of their cut is a more retro shape without being enormous. 

guess what...I like feeling sexy. I like pretty underwear.  It makes me feel good to own it, and I don't have to wear a huge pair of cotton underwear to support the feminist movement.

/end rant.
    I agree. I also consider myself a feminist but I never felt like I had to use my underwear (or my outerwear) to make that particular statement. I dress to suit myself. I never wore thongs because they're incredibly uncomfortable. And I never wore granny pants because they're ugly. For as long as I remember I've worn high cut panties, sometimes lacy sometimes plain, and I feel comfortable and pretty in them.
  • Also feminist, also unconvinced that my choice of underwear is political.
  • Re the granny panty, an article that supports women wearing what is comfortable to them, not what others find sexy, I find refreshing.
    Not that anyone needs permission, but validation that you aren't alone, thumbs up.
  • I consider myself a feminist as well, my choice in underwear is what makes ME feel happy,sexy, beautiful. 
    I love Hanky Panky lace thongs, they are comfy, don't show, and are made in the USA.  I don't wear them for the guy in my life (when I have one) but for me.  

Heck there are days where I don't wear any, and THAT is MY CHOICE and no its not casue I didn't do laundry. LOL 

I agree that I don't feel that my underwear has to make a statement.