The Great White Way (MUSICALS, not the nickname for the 2015 Oscars)

Comments

• @Scarlett I am going to see Carousel!!! I am going next weekend and I CAN'T WAIT! My sister and I are also going to see Jessie Mueller at the Marriott Lincolnshire, which is SUPER exciting.  We are a "Beautiful the Carole King Musical" family and we can't wait to go!

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see "Hamilton" in NYC and was totally blanking that it's there.  In the Heights is one of my faves (as noted before) and Lin Manuel Miranda is such an interesting guy.  I LOVED listening to the story of why he decided to write "Hamilton" when he was on "The Theater People Podcast" (which I recommend to EVERY theater fan out there, it's fantastic).

In other Broadway related news, if you like podcasts you should check out the one I just mentioned, and also check out "The Ensemblists" which is an awesome interview podcast interviewing different members of Broadway's ensembles.  It helps you get a better idea of the crazy job they have and how crazy talented they are.  
  • OH, I TOTALLY FORGOT! I FINALLY got to see "The Book of Mormon" this week (in Chicago) and I wasn't disappointed! I have loved the soundtrack since it was first released, but the live show is 100x better! We saw the Elder Cunningham that regularly plays the role, but we saw the standby for Elder Price (Declan Egan) who was pretty good (some minor vocal oddities, but he was still great).  The visuals add such an amazing amount of complexity to the show and help clarify SO many of the jokes you hear on the soundtrack.  Every time I wondered why "texting" was supposed to be a joke, so now at least that makes more sense.
  • Carousel is one of those shows... I absolutely ADORE the music, but it's so frustrating to have a plot that essentially condones domestic violence. I think TLo kinda covers the WTF aspect of this in their Musical Monday review of the movie. That being said, the love of the music triumphs for me above all. "You Never Walk Alone" gives me goosebumps.

Also, I saw the Lincoln Center production when I was in middle school circa 1994, with Audra McDonald as Carrie, you know, before she won like every TONY in existence. :)
  • violina23 said:
    Carousel is one of those shows... I absolutely ADORE the music, but it's so frustrating to have a plot that essentially condones domestic violence. I think TLo kinda covers the WTF aspect of this in their Musical Monday review of the movie. That being said, the love of the music triumphs for me above all. "You Never Walk Alone" gives me goosebumps.

Also, I saw the Lincoln Center production when I was in middle school circa 1994, with Audra McDonald as Carrie, you know, before she won like every TONY in existence. :)
    I was telling my AP students about that the other day, and they did not believe that I was telling htem the truth.
  • violina23 said:
    Carousel is one of those shows... I absolutely ADORE the music, but it's so frustrating to have a plot that essentially condones domestic violence. I think TLo kinda covers the WTF aspect of this in their Musical Monday review of the movie. That being said, the love of the music triumphs for me above all. "You Never Walk Alone" gives me goosebumps.

Yep, it is hard to take the "slap feels like a kiss" thing. Steve Kluger's delightful YA book My Most Excellent Year includes a character whose review of "Carousel" is "Music to beat your wife by" {wry grin}.

• Leandra said:
    Jacob_DanielScarlett.  I've heard good things about an American in Paris. I'm also a huge Lin Manuel Miranda fan so if you can get Hamilton tix do that. My friend went this weekend by going to the box office and getting tickets from the "cancellation line" basically buying tickets from the box office if someone cancelled. She said she had to pay full price but she got to see the show. I might try and do that before it transfers and if not I'll defintely buy tickets for when it's on Broadway. 

I saw Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder a few months ago and it was a lot of fun. They have standing room only tickets and I got mine about 10 minutes before curtain. 

I just posted a photo of the (male) star of An American in Paris on the Trading Cards chat.  I would think if you're going to see An American In Paris that you'd want to sit closer than usual since it is such a dance oriented show.
  • edited April 2015
    violina23 said:

I don't agree that it condones it. No one in the show ever says it's okay to be hit. That's not the theme of the show, we only ever hear that Billy once hit Julie, it happens offstage. Carousel is about love and redemption. It explores cycles of abuse and ending them and it does that through Julie and Billy's relationship. Billy is there as the flawed anti-hero. And Julie's line about a hit feeling like a kiss is there to serve Billy, so he can over hear it and finally come to terms with his behavior. It's that line which puts events into motion and causes him to attempt to make amends from beyond the grave.

You know this, you've seen it on stage, but the film is a very different beast from the stage production, they had to change certain plot points for the film, they weren't allowed to 'endorse' suicide, so they changed that.  

Rodgers & Hammerstein tackled many taboo subjects and I've always had nothing but respect for their doing-so.

There are a lot of musicals with dark subject matter. If you make the argument that Carousel endorses domestic violence it opens the door to argue that Chicago glorifies murder, Rent endorses heroin addiction, Spring Awakening, teen suicide, South Pacific, racism. The list is endless. 

• Wait, no mention of the Tony Nominations which came out today?  Were Finding Neverland, Zhivago, and I guess Gigi fairly or unfairly snubbed?

Who is cuter?  Robert Fairchild or Tony Yazbeck? :-)
  • edited April 2015
    Finding Neverland is awful, terrible score and hopefully Harvey Weinstein has learned that on Broadway you can't just throw money at something or buy Tony voters.
    Gigi wasn't entirely snubbed, Victoria Clarke got a nod. I didn't expect An American in Paris to get 12 nominations but it's great news, I'd say it's close between that and Fun Home. That's all I got for 8am
  • I saw Doctor Zhivago in San Diego years ago at the beginning of its eight year "out of town tryout" to get to Broadway.  It was bad, but mostly the Lara actress was lousy.  The score had some decent moments.   It sounds like it only got worse over those eight years...
  • I'm SUPER interested in "Fun House"! I LOVE the idea of seeing a Broadway show in the round, just like I'm used to seeing here at Marriott Lincolnshire.  I've also listened to "The Ensemblists" podcast lately (CHECK IT OUT) and have heard so many great things about "An American in Paris" that I hope to get to NYC this summer. I think I'm going to go the 2nd week of June, but I know that after the Tony's it will be almost impossible to get into the shows I want to...as long as I can see Newsies (missed it in Chicago) and one of the Tony noms I'll be happy.  I can wait till next for Matilda to come to Chicago next March.
  • Hate to break it to you @Jacob_Daniel but Newsies closed in August last year.
  • My trip to NYC in mid-July is taking shape. So far I have tickets to see Hamilton and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NIght Time. 

I have time for 2 more shows and just can't decide. We want one more musical (thinking of Fun Home; do not want to see Gigi or Finding Neverland; thinking American in Paris may not be our thing; I wish Once were still playing. I managed to miss it both in NY and SF) and one non-musical.  Any suggestions?
  • I saw American in Paris on Saturday and it was fabulous! I want it to win many TONYs. In addition to the glroious singing, dancing, musical-ness the tech (set design, lighting, and costumes) were really great and added so much to the show. 

Hand to God and an Act of God (with Jim Parsosns) both look interesting for the play category. I reccommend Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder and Kinky Boots as musical options.
  • I am going with my 19 year old son, so my choices will be different than it it were just me. We have decided on Act of God (the Jim Parsons thing) and haven't settled on a musical yet. I have seen Kinky Boots and I would like An American In Paris, but the kid is not so in to the classic Broadway musical, so he'd prefer something else. I do want to see Gentlemen's Guide, but it will be in SF soon, so I will see it here and want to look for something that is more of a NY-only opportunity.
  • Would your son like Something Rotten?  I think it's supposed to be "irreverent."  But it might be hard to get tickets.  

I assumed he's totally aged out of The Lion King, and Wicked is too "girly." :-)
  • edited May 2015
    We thought about Soemthing Rotten, but decided against it, so we are going to see Fun Home for our second musical. I told him it was based on a graphic novel by Alison Bechdel and he actually knew about the Bechdel Test.

Note: the Lion King movie was on constant rotation when the kids were little and I did take this one to see the play and we both disliked it (loved the staging/puppets for about 15 minutes and then got bored). I am so glad we get to see grown up stuff, now. My younger kid (now 14) adores Les Mis. This one (the 19 year old) likes Spring Awakenings (he was in it last year).
  • Aha, I see this 19 year old kid of yours is actually quite sophisticated then.  Enjoy Fun Home!
  • edited May 2015
    KarenFK said:
    My trip to NYC in mid-July is taking shape. So far I have tickets to see Hamilton and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NIght Time. 

I have time for 2 more shows and just can't decide. We want one more musical (thinking of Fun Home; do not want to see Gigi or Finding Neverland; thinking American in Paris may not be our thing; I wish Once were still playing. I managed to miss it both in NY and SF) and one non-musical.  Any suggestions?
    I would say give American in Paris a chance, it's a likely winner of the Tony, Gigi and Finding Neverland might not be around come July. Hand To God is amazing, but not if you're not up for puppet sex, Jim Parsons An Act of God might be good, we'll see.
  • Tonight was the first night of our Broadway Binge. We saw Significant Other (Roundabout Theater production) and it was really good. The performances were excellent and Barbara Barrie is an underrated national treasure. The NYTimes review described it as a "tenderly unromantic romantic comedy."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/theater/review-in-significant-other-a-young-man-pines-as-his-pals-pair-off.html?_r=1
  • Just a heads up to anyone planning on seeing Hamilton. If you haven't bought in advance they're doing a lotto for front row tickets for $10, you have to pay in cash, naturally they demand a bill with Hamilton on it! First preview on Monday was packed, there were 704 entries to the lotto which is unprecedented but I think it'll settle down a little in a week or two. Not sure on the lotto times so maybe check the website or twitter #HAMforHAM. If you can get to see it, see it. It's still in previews, but it's not a exaggeration to call it the most important piece of musical theater of the last decade. It's a game changer. 
  • A friend has tickets to see Hamilton tomorrow night.  I'm looking forward to hearing what she has to say about it.

Mr. C and I saw Something Rotten last weekend, and it was AMAZING.  I would go back in a heartbeat.  Catchy, high energy, and a ton of fun.  Everyone in the show is perfectly cast, especially Brian D'Arcy James and Christian Borle, who are clearly having the time of their lives up there.  There were two in-show standing ovations, and after the second one the actors had to kind of gesture the audience back into their seats.  The more you know about Broadway, the funnier I think the show becomes, but it's plenty funny without that knowledge (or so Mr. C tells me).
  • @CourtneyA, I am seeing Hamilton tomorrow night, too. Really looking forward to it.

Tonight, we saw The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. It was amazing. As soon as it was over, I wanted to see it again! Unfortunately, Alex Sharp wasn't in tonight's show (he only does one show on matinee days), but the alternate Christopher, Taylor Trensch, was great.
  • I was at NY City Center last night for their final Encores production of the season, The Wild Party with Sutton Foster and Steven Pasquale. They rehearsed it in 6 days and it only runs until Saturday but it was a lot of fun to see those two on stage together, tho honestly, Pasqaule could sing a menu and I'd be impressed!

• We just got home from seeing Hamilton. It was really, really good. The music is wonderful. The performances are wonderful. The cabinet meeting rap battles between Jefferson and Hamilton arguing over federalism, etc. are delightful. I can't say enough good things about it.
  • Glad you enjoyed it @KarenFK I'm a smidge biased when it comes to Hamilton, but it really is something very special. It's going to change contemporary musical theater in a big way. And it's still only in previews, so things are still being tweaked. Everyone is amazing and Lin is doing incredible work, pulling double duty basically but I love Lesile Odom Jr's 'Room Where it Happens' it's a true showstoppper and I'm pretty sure will secure him a Tony next year. Rumour has it the President is going on Saturday, Michelle already saw it at the Public, and it makes sense since the whole thing actually started with Lin performing at the White House for the Obamas. 
  • edited July 2015
    Leslie Odom Jr was on fire! I only knew him from Smash before this. He deserves to be a huge star. The surprise to me was Renee Elise Goldsberry. I know her from the Good Wife and I had no idea she was a singer. Her big number also brought down the house. My son and just adored the whole thing. I have been a fan of Lin Manuel Miranda since In the Heights. He deserves for this to be a huge success. You are right about the show being a game changer. I felt like I was watching something important, and so much fun. My son is 19 and he couldn't stop talking about how it would speak to his friends.
  • That's fantastic, the show has a huge, younger fan base, so it's great to hear you son loved it too. It really does feel like the tide is turning.
  • edited August 2015
    Whether you've seen Hamilton or not, whether you think it's over hyped or the the best show to hit Broadway in the last decade, take 10 minutes and enjoy this montage of clips from the show...then book tickets lol
  • January 20, 2016- Hamilton! I saw In the Heights three times (mostly from winning lottery tix) and I'm hoping to see Hamilton at least this many times. I usually rush shows so having tickets this far in advance is crazy for me.