The Great White Way (MUSICALS, not the nickname for the 2015 Oscars)

1235»

Comments

• Leandra said:
    January 20, 2016- Hamilton! I saw In the Heights three times (mostly from winning lottery tix) and I'm hoping to see Hamilton at least this many times. I usually rush shows so having tickets this far in advance is crazy for me. 
    You'll love it!
  • Seeing Hamilton this fall...so excited!
  • Just had a bonding conversation with my new boss -- turns out she is a musical theater lover, so that is a plus! Convinced her she should get to NY to see Hamilton asap.

Meanwhile, in a few weeks I am seeing a new musical based on the movie (which I never saw) Amelie at Berkeley Rep. Book by Craig Lucas (An American in Paris, Prelude to a Kiss). Should be interesting. 
  • Ah yes, with Samantha Barks. I've heard good early things about it
  • Yes - I have only seen Samantha Barks in the movie of Les Miz -- I thought she was fabulous.
  • I saw Amélie yesterday at Berkeley Rep. It was lots of fun. I think it could use a bit of tinkering/tightening if it's going to Broadway, but I really liked the music (it is almost completely sung through) and the general story (I didn't see the movie, so I don't know how it compares, but the friend I was with says it is different). The staging and the sets were really clever and brought out the magical/whimsical elements. Samantha Barks was perfect in the role and the rest of the cast was strong, too, especially Adam Chanler-Berat as the love interest, Nino. If it makes it to Broadway, it is worth seeing.
  • ^ I was just going to mention this @Leandra beat me to it. Even if you're not sure, give it a go, I'm sure you'll fall in love with this show.
  • edited September 2015
    Thanks for posting that @Leandra. I am home with a cold today, so I listened to the whole thing while folding laundry, reading TLo posts, etc.

I have been dying for the cast album ever since we saw Hamilton this summer and I have to say 1) it really holds up well. It is really good music and a whole lot of memorable rhymes and lyrics. And 2) unlike the albums of other sung through musicals I have listened to, this recording is complete-- i am pretty sure it includes every spoken/sung word. I don't know what it is like if you haven't seen it first in terms of figuring out exactly who is speaking/singing and what is happening, but it isn't just songs without context they way the recordings of many musicals are.
  • As you may recall, I took my 19 year old son with me to see Hamilton this summer and he loved it. So, I texted him the link to the cast recording on Monday and he was thrilled. Today, he sent his little brother a 3 plus minute video in which he is rapping the opening number. It was pretty sweet.

I wish I knew how to let Lin Manuel Miranda know he really is reaching a whole new generation of theater goers.
  • I know Lin a little through mutual acquaintances, but is on Twitter @KarenFk he's @Lin_Manuel. He's really active there and happily chats to people who've seen the show or are listening to the soundtrack, he always tries to answer everyone. Yesterday he was having a whole chat with a teacher about having a 'cleaner' version of the soundtrack so the techer could use it in class. He's a lovely, lovely guy.
  • edited September 2015
    Thanks @Scarlett!

We also just bought the cast recording on iTunes. It was nice being able to listen to it for free, but now that it has been released, gotta support it!
  • edited October 2015
    Anyone who is even a little bit into Broadway musicals should be checking out the You Tube videos of the Ham4Ham shows (just search for ham4ham). A couple of times a week (usually on 2 show days), Lin Manuel Miranda, various Hamilton cast member and other Broadway actors put on a show for the people waiting for the Hamilton ticket lottery. They last 4 or 5 minutes and are amazing! See Laura Benanti sing I could Have Danced All Night while Jared Grimes tap dances; or Kelli O'Hara doing an LL Cool J cover; Matthew Morrison doing a song from Light in the Piazza; an In the Heights cast reunion; Lin and the late Kyle Jean-Babtiste doing Les Miz. The most recent one is Robert Fairchild, Tiler Peck and Justin Peck of the NYC Ballet dancing. Every Ham4Ham show is a bit of theater history.

• I just learned that the Roundabout theater is doing a revival of The Robber Bridegroom in February! With Stephen Pasquale! 

I think I posted up thread that this is the first musical I remember seeing live on stage (with Barry Bostwick) and it hooked me on musical theater forever.
  • Here is a great article about the Ham4Ham shows I mentioned in my comment above, with  lots of links to videos. They are a gift to broadway junkies.
  • Audra alert!

HBO is showing Audra MacDonald in Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill starting March 12th.
  • I saw "Kinky Boots" last night at the Fabulous Fox Theater, ATL. LOOOOOVED it. Got the feels. Such a fun show!!

Am planning to kill if it comes to it for Hamilton tix at the same venue.

• I saw "Kinky Boots" last night at the Fabulous Fox Theater, ATL. LOOOOOVED it. Got the feels. Such a fun show!!

@DrSparkles, I have Kinky Boots tickets for September in the DPAC, I'm super excited!

@DrSparkles, I have Kinky Boots tickets for September in the DPAC, I'm super excited!

Me too!! (For you) Get the CD so you can sing along! ;)
  • That reminds me. I got the Kinky Boots CD when I saw it because I loved the music so much, but I am not sure I have actually listened to it since. I will have to change that! Thank you for the reminder @DrSparkles and I am glad you liked the show.

@OffToSeeHim it is a super fun show. Enjoy!
  • I saw Waitress last night and it was really enjoyable. My friend came to visit specifically for the show because she is a huge fan of the movie. It's centered around a waitress who is really good at pie baking and they sell little pieces of pie in small mason jars before the show and at intermission so the whole theater smells sweet and delicious! Jessie Mueller (she won the Tony for Carol King in Beautiful) is the lead and wow, she is truley amazing. Her big song in the second act blew me away and had probably a solid minute of applause afterwards. 
  • Nominations bright and early tomorrow morning.  The current nominations record is 15.  Hamilton could theoretically hit 19 if it gets a lot of acting nods.
  • CourtneyA said:
    Nominations bright and early tomorrow morning.  The current nominations record is 15.  Hamilton could theoretically hit 19 if it gets a lot of acting nods.
    Hamilton broke the record this morning with 16 nominations.  Is the show really THAT good (like best ever), or was the competition not as strong as some other years?  I do want to see Hamilton at some point, probably when it goes on the road.
  • @nolakent I am definitely biased because I am a huge fan of Lin Manuel Miranda both on Broadway and off and In the Heights was THE musical for me. The first one I knew all the words too and I would (and still do) turn to in especially hard moments. 
    That said, Yes, I really do think it is that good and I think it would have this many noms regardless of the competition. There is not one moment in the show that isn't extremely well done. I said to my friend the other day it's going at 110% A+ the whole time and each person, place, and thing on that stage is pretty perfectly combined. I defintely have zero authority on best ever but it's defintely spectacular and special. 
  • I would agree--Hamilton is definitely that good. I've also seen some of the other nominated shows (Shuffle Along and She Loves Me) which are ok. I wish I'd been able to see Waitress but it was sold out when I was in NYC a couple of weeks ago.

But Hamilton is in a league of its own. It was even better the second time I saw it, actually, even knowing it by heart. when I first saw it it was in previews and there was no cast album and very little info about it, but it more than held up to all the hype.
  • edited May 2016
    nolakent said:
    CourtneyA said:
    Nominations bright and early tomorrow morning.  The current nominations record is 15.  Hamilton could theoretically hit 19 if it gets a lot of acting nods.
    Hamilton broke the record this morning with 16 nominations.  Is the show really THAT good (like best ever), or was the competition not as strong as some other years?  I do want to see Hamilton at some point, probably when it goes on the road.
    I can't speak to the staging of the show beyond what I've seen in a few clips, but the soundtrack is pretty impressive, especially from a show-construction standpoint.  It's incredibly well written and paced.

I think, in much the same way as The Producers did back in '01, that in addition to being a really impressive piece of musical theater, it benefits from being the right show at the right time with the right cast/crew, in a season that doesn't really have anything else that captures public attention the way it did/does.  It's thematically relevant to what's going on around it, and it has a creator who clearly loves the theater and is happy to put himself out there. 

Personally, I'm an awards show and trivia junkie, and the idea of records being set and/or broken is exciting to me.  It's like trivia catnip.:)
  • Just announced they are making a movie of Cats.

Personally? ugh.  I remember seeing the play/musical- I had such high hopes. I was bored out of my skull despite having heard the music before hand, I was so glad when they (finally) sang the finale. ugh....

I wish them all the best.
  • My son and I saw a great play in Ashland last night called Vietgone. It will be opening in NYC in October 2016 and we highly recommend it. It is the story of two people who meet in a vietnamese refugee camp in the US after the fall of Saigon. Based on the playwright's parents. It is hilarious. And moving and sort of a musical. It is an interesting story with a different take on Vietnam and US involvement there and it is told in a way that makes some very interesting observations about Asian stereotypes and challenges the way Asian's are usually depicted.

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/entertainment/tn-dpt-et-1009-vietgone-20151009-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-vietgone-review-south-coast-rep-20151013-column.html