May We See Photos of Things You've Made?

Comments

• Milaxx  Your Uncle's bag is perfection, lucky you! And thanks for the definition of Sankofa and the bird image, that's interesting.
  • This is such a fun thread! Bags, and knits, and quilts, and dresses, and paintings, and food! Everyone is so talented in different ways, and it's beautiful.

Here are some of my favorite quilts. Truthfully though, while I'm making them, they all become my favorite. :) Even the ones I make with other people's tastes in mind (which is most of them--I've only kept one quilt for myself, so far, though I've got others I'm working on "for me") that aren't necessarily my own, something in the process of creating them makes me really come to love them too.

The first two were more or less for the same person. The one on the right (yellow and gray) was made for one of my best friend's wedding, and was the first full-sized quilt I made (it's about 60" x 80", or roughly twin-bed sized). I kind of hate yellow, so it was a stretch for me, but now it's one of my favorite quilts. :) The quilt on the left was made for her daughter. I was really unsure about how it would turn out, because there is a LOT going on in that quilt pattern-wise, but I think it all ultimately worked. And babies like patterns to look at, right?
    The quilt on the left I made for my niece. She's my only niece or nephew so far, so she gets all of Aunt SMH's best efforts. :) I'd wanted to make that quilt for a long time, so I was really excited when I found out she was a girl. Making those flowers took forever, but I loved how it turned out, and so did her parents. The quilt on the right is my Ronquilt, and it's amazing, and I love it. You can see the back and some other pictures of it on the quilting thread if you're so inclined. I really love the idea that quilts can have a sense of humor, and I also love Ron Swanson, so of course this is one of my favorites! Ronquilt lives on my couch.
  • @swinkle She loved it. It generally gets hung over the fireplace or in her room. (She switches out paintings and decor by the season.) So the poppies/lupines and my Jackson Pollack style painting tend to get precedence in the big room.

As for the blooms right now... it's certainly green and the colors are about to pop in full force. I give it another week... although I did find lupines in my little yard this past week and was thrilled.
  • smh4748 said:
    This is such a fun thread! Bags, and knits, and quilts, and dresses, and paintings, and food! Everyone is so talented in different ways, and it's beautiful.

Here are some of my favorite quilts. Truthfully though, while I'm making them, they all become my favorite. :) Even the ones I make with other people's tastes in mind (which is most of them--I've only kept one quilt for myself, so far, though I've got others I'm working on "for me") that aren't necessarily my own, something in the process of creating them makes me really come to love them too.

The first two were more or less for the same person. The one on the right (yellow and gray) was made for one of my best friend's wedding, and was the first full-sized quilt I made (it's about 60" x 80", or roughly twin-bed sized). I kind of hate yellow, so it was a stretch for me, but now it's one of my favorite quilts. :) The quilt on the left was made for her daughter. I was really unsure about how it would turn out, because there is a LOT going on in that quilt pattern-wise, but I think it all ultimately worked. And babies like patterns to look at, right?
    The quilt on the left I made for my niece. She's my only niece or nephew so far, so she gets all of Aunt SMH's best efforts. :) I'd wanted to make that quilt for a long time, so I was really excited when I found out she was a girl. Making those flowers took forever, but I loved how it turned out, and so did her parents. The quilt on the right is my Ronquilt, and it's amazing, and I love it. You can see the back and some other pictures of it on the quilting thread if you're so inclined. I really love the idea that quilts can have a sense of humor, and I also love Ron Swanson, so of course this is one of my favorites! Ronquilt lives on my couch.

These are all beautiful and Ronquilt is awesome!
  • OMG @smh4748!!!!

I'm going to shame-delete mine :)
  • I love to glue shit to other shit. Lately my fascination is with colored glass and old windows. But I make glass garden whimsies this way, too. I just don't have any pictures of those. But I did do this window last spring.image
  • OMG @smh4748!!!!

I'm going to shame-delete mine :)
    Tracy (middle name) Flick, don't you dare! Your quilts are beautiful...work you can be proud of. I especially love the chevron quilt, lovely! 
  • smh4748  Are you on instagram? I saw a Ron Swanson quilt the other day and I'm wondering if it was yours!

I love modern quilt but unfortunately my handmade talent does not extend to the sewing machine!
  • @smh4748 your work is so beautiful! I want all those quilts, especially the gray & yellow one. I've been looking for a quilt to hang in my dining room forever.
  • @tracy_flick, the one quilt with the flowers reminds me of an Autumn Splendor quilt I almost bought years ago! I'm so jealous of people who have the patience and the skill to quilt!
  • @tracy_flick -- No! I love the idea of the chevron quilt--I'm terrified of sewing things that aren't quilting cotton, but the sentiment of using the cousins' clothing is so lovely. And my niece is a rainbow baby too, so I loved that you made such a literal interpretation of that--I'll bet that baby's parents really loved it. I'm in awe of the folding chair/mattress--especially that you designed it yourself--that's amazing to me.

@cakewalkqueen -- I am, though my account is usually set to private. A blogger published her pattern for the Ron Swanson quilt for free as a quilt along, so there are a few other Ronquilts running around out there (though mine's the only one with the pyramid of greatness on the back!) Mine's the only one I've seen with a turquoise background though--the original was white. 

GraziDiMentiJocastaDeVilleneuve, and @OffToSeeHim -- Thank you! I love making pretty things. It is a good break from my day job.

@Pennymac -- I love that window! I adore colored glass too. Is your window above made with those vase filler type things, or did you use something else?

• edited February 2015

This is the CD I made a few years ago.  It has 15 songs about luck, magic, voodoo, gambling, fortune, and other forms of serendipity, and how they intersect with love.  I have some cuts from it on my Jango Radio station, plus at my website, www.ellenciompi.com, if you're interested in hearing them. 

This is a hat I crocheted earlier this year.  I know how to do only one stitch, but I'm pretty good at doing it over and over until I come up with a hat, or a scarf, or an afghan!  (This one, I couldn't get the photo to post, but with any luck the link works).

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10850301_10152590420738727_349256351346976240_n.jpg?oh=26d47cd94ce9dafe513d1051e09b88b6&oe=5584C338
  • @nurseellen, I couldn't open it! Darn.

I can see the album though, and WOW! I'm impressed.

@smh4748 - how do you quilt the larger ones? By hand, or do you have a long-arm?
  • @smh4748 This one is made with those flat floral marbles. I've made them out of sea glass as well.
  • I always suspected that the Bitter Kittens are the most talented bunch around (we're the most clever as well!); it's so cool to see proof!  I will try to follow others' directions to upload a few photos of costumes I've made.

• This is a very cool thread.  Lots of pics of cool/beautiful things.  Here are some of mine...

A glass and silver pendant:

IMG_2405

A glass choker:

IMG_0810

A Tudor gown:

• @SingingPhoenixD, I adore that pendant! Do you sell them somewhere?
  • @SingingPhoenixD, I love the pendant and I want that gown SOOOOOO bad! @Tracy_Flick is right, you should sell them if you don't. There have been so many things on this thread that I want to buy. I'll post a picture of a chocolate cake, but it won't be the same.  :(
  • edited February 2015
    That one was a custom piece as a memorial to someone who lost her fight with breast cancer.  She lived on the Isle of Lewis in the Scottish Hebrides and it is based on this photo of the standing stones at Calanish.

lewis1

It was auctioned off in the online community through which I met her to support the hospice nurses who took care of her in the end. The best part is that a person who was a good friend won the auction.

I do sell on Etsy under the name Singing Phoenix Designs.  All of my pieces are one of a kind, though sometimes they're similar because I get into trying a specific style of something.
  • @OffToSeeHim  I have done custom costume work, but usually it's been barter or for close friends.  If I had to charge someone, it gets very expensive because of the time involved.  I may actually put that particular gown up for sale because I've shrunk out of it (yay!) and altering a corset just isn't going to happen.  I spent that day trying to keep the girls from falling down because it really wasn't tight enough for proper support (and that's why the one shoulder was slipping).  There are also a set of sleeve covers for the lower sleeve which match the underskirt (which is really just an apron because I didn't have enough fabric for a full skirt).
  • @SingingPhoenixD, your work is incredible! I love your glasswork--that flower is amazing. I'm also very impressed with your costume work. I've always thought it would be fun to try that, but I have no idea what I'd do with the finished piece, and I'm not sure I have the patience for fitting and fiddling with clothing construction. So maybe I'll just admire others who do.

@Tracy_Flick, I quilt them all myself on my domestic machine. It's a nice machine, an old (mechanical) Bernina, but doesn't have exceptionally large throat space or anything. I mostly do free-motion quilting for a few reasons: it means less turning of the quilt and squishing it through the throat of the machine (a process I LOATHE), I find it more interesting and fun to do than straight-line, and people are more impressed by it than they really have cause to be (it looks more difficult to do than it is!) I'm not a quilting perfectionist at all--my motto is "Eh, it'll wash out," meaning, once it's all crinkly and squishy from washing, you'll only really notice the imperfections (of which there are many) if you're looking for them. And who does that? No one I give my quilts to. :) Someday, I'd love to rent time on a long arm and try that out, but there aren't any around here. I'd also like to get some quilts professionally quilted, but I'm a grad student and quilting is already an expensive hobby, so there's no way I can afford that right now!
  • I did this painting as a gift to my sis in law when she married my brother. She loves calla lillies and this was actually the first painting I did since my Dad had gotten sick and passed from cancer. The majority of it is done with pallet knives instead of brushes.

• smh4748 said:

@Tracy_Flick, I quilt them all myself on my domestic machine. It's a nice machine, an old (mechanical) Bernina, but doesn't have exceptionally large throat space or anything. I mostly do free-motion quilting for a few reasons: it means less turning of the quilt and squishing it through the throat of the machine (a process I LOATHE), I find it more interesting and fun to do than straight-line, and people are more impressed by it than they really have cause to be (it looks more difficult to do than it is!) I'm not a quilting perfectionist at all--my motto is "Eh, it'll wash out," meaning, once it's all crinkly and squishy from washing, you'll only really notice the imperfections (of which there are many) if you're looking for them. And who does that? No one I give my quilts to. :) Someday, I'd love to rent time on a long arm and try that out, but there aren't any around here. I'd also like to get some quilts professionally quilted, but I'm a grad student and quilting is already an expensive hobby, so there's no way I can afford that right now!
    I tried to do a twin size quilt on both my machines (Brother and Singer) and just could not get it to work. Luckily it was a Dresden plate in traditional squares, so I just cut it in half and made two baby quilts. I'm totally self-taught at quilting so I think maybe I'm doing something wrong.

My MIL used to quilt big ones by hand, but now pays to get hers quilted by someone who has a programmable machine, and they look amazing. She did a double-wedding ring as a wedding present for us and the quilting is impeccable.
  • This is the Dresden plate half-quilt :)

• Wow, that's amazing! Post a picture of the wedding ring one!
  • Ok, @OffToSeeHim, here are my MILs quilts, both hand-quilted and hand-pieced. The wedding ring one she made for our wedding. I love the craftsmanship but the colors don't go with anything else we have so it's put away mostly. The Grandmother's flower garden is one that her grandmother-in-law (my husband's great grandma) cut but never pieced. So MIL pieced and quilted it.

Oh god, I should also post the ones she did for my kids. Scenes from Goodnight Moon and Winken, Blynken, and Nod. Maybe I need to start a second thread for "Things other people made that you wish you had made" :)

• edited February 2015

I make jewelry out of junk....but apparently can't figure out how to post a picture.  I am loving everyone else's lovely things! Thanks for sharing! 

• I love all of these quilts! I should show them to my mom because she used to be a quilter, same with my grandmother. Mom just doesn't have the time anymore but she still loves looking at quilts and such.