SYTYCD

Someone just started a DWTS thread so I figured I better start a thread for the much smaller, and much better danced "other dance show" on TV. :-)

That being said, I am very disappointed to see that Paula Abdul is going to be one of the upcoming judges, but if that's what they think they need to do to keep the show on the air, I'll live with it.  That's what the fast forward button is for, no?

Even though I think my favorite dancers only won once (Chehon & Eliana), I have generally found someone to like in the Top Ten, and my favorites usually get right near the top.

Plus, let's face it, the dancers are beautiful.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Ahh, yes! This is one of my favorite shows, reality or otherwise. It has such great production values, choreography, and of course Cat Deeley. 

The best times are behind us (basically seasons 2-5 are entertainment gold), but it's still one of the greatest things on TV.
  • This is a favorite of mine! The kids too, though it has lead to the conversation about age appropriate routines reenacted in our living room.

Twitch is my all-time favorite. And I live for Sonja's routines.

I don't know how I'll tolerate Paula.
  • Yes, yes, YES! I'm just going to be an echo here! I love this show, the choreographers (Travis Wall!), the dancers, the artistry, and Cat. Nigel is a creepy uncle, I'm going to miss Mary, and I'm going to ff thru Paula.

Seriously, though. Most of the judges are professional, thoughtful, and give useful critiques. Paula knows dance, but seems pretty much incapable of stringing together a coherent sentence.
  • edited February 2015
    I LOVE this show. @DaveInHollywood, I'm with you on the love for Chehon and Eliana. I did not think those two were going to win that year, especially because Chehon had been in the bottom a few times. Loved it when they did!

I also love Twitch, because he doesn't just have great moves, he also puts so much wit and humor into his dancing. If Fox decided to do a show with nothing but him dancing with Jasmine Harper, I would watch every episode.

I miss Adam Shankman. Every time he opens his mouth, something awesome comes out.
  • I wish that Paula would go to the dress rehearsals, talk over her thoughts with a professional writer, have that writer put down the thoughts into coherent sentences, and then pipe those sentences into Paula's ear during the show.  Honestly, she's sweet and all, but the pills (I'm guessing) and the limited ability to think on her feet really do her in.

Nigel is mostly vile, but at least he likes dance, and not everyone can be as all around terrific as Misty Copeland.

This new season is supposed to have street dancers v. trained dancers, or something like that.  Does the audience really like that street stuff THAT much? I guess they must.  I don't.
  • Wait, Paula Abdul is replacing Mary Murphy? Not that I think Paula's the epitome of intelligent commentary, but I can't say I'm going to miss Mary Murphy's screaming.

Then again, it won't make much difference since I already FF through anything Mary says unless it's a ballroom number. Critiquing a mediocre or bad ballroom performance is about the only time she speaks in a normal tone of voice and says something I'm actually interested in hearing.
  • I think Mary's exit has more to do with the decline of ballroom on SYTYCD. We love to see dancers take on a variety of styles but ballroom is more the province of that other show. We're worried about the show being split into street vs. stage because it reduces the need to adapt to new styles. I'm not a fan of Abdul's incoherent ramblings, but perhaps she'll settle down with the emphasis on actual dance rather than needing to perform melodrama with the hosts. We're happy to see how it plays out though.
  • I've watched since season 3 when the divine Danny Tidwell was on. My favorite of all the seasons was season 4 with Twitch, Joshua, Katee, Courtney, Mark and Chelsea. Some of my favorite dancers with some of my favorite all-time routines.
    I would have to say that Lauren Froderman is my favorite contestant ever from the show. She literally could dance any genre of dance and make it look like she'd been dancing it for years.

I'm of two minds on Paula Abdul as judge. She does know her stuff when it comes to dance however she seems to love giving delicious sound bites in more than giving constructive dance criticism. Mary Murphy, for all her shrieking and carrying on actually gives very good constructive criticism, especially in Ballroom and Latin.
    I was glad last year to see more new choreographers in the mix. Hope they keep to that.
  • I'm surprised no one's mentioned Jason Derulo. I remember him being not so good (though that probably had something to do with the fact that he had the word Wiggle bedazzled onto a trucker hat)
    Hope they bring back Misty Copeland or that hot French Giant from the Joffrey as the fourth judge.
  • Favorite guest judges include Christina Applegate, and Jessie Tyler Ferguson. 
  • I love the show, but, man, they do so many moves with terrible impact on knees/hips that I worry about some of the kids being able to dance past age 25.
  • nolakent said:
    I love the show, but, man, they do so many moves with terrible impact on knees/hips that I worry about some of the kids being able to dance past age 25.
    I have watched a few shows about ballet over the years, and they all get injured either through repetitive injury or a spectacular blowout.  BUT I feel that ballet dancers in ballet companies get pretty good treatment.  I would worry the most about street dancers and the like who punish their bodies just as much, but often aren't in any kind of organized school with medical care.

Maybe there are some former/current dancers who can comment on this.
  • nolakent said:
    I love the show, but, man, they do so many moves with terrible impact on knees/hips that I worry about some of the kids being able to dance past age 25.
    I have watched a few shows about ballet over the years, and they all get injured either through repetitive injury or a spectacular blowout.  BUT I feel that ballet dancers in ballet companies get pretty good treatment.  I would worry the most about street dancers and the like who punish their bodies just as much, but often aren't in any kind of organized school with medical care.
    Good point. I'm just a dance lover, not a dancer or ex-dancer, so I have no idea really -- but it wouldn't surprise me if you are right.

Did any of you ever catch that show Breaking Pointe? It was on the CW for two seasons and it followed Ballet West, the ballet company of Salt Lake City. I did not realize until I watched that show that dancers are on contracts that may or may not get renewed, just like members of sports teams. So I wonder how that works -- does a dancer who has a following get great medical treatment, whereas one who's in the back row of the corps will get treated until the end of her contract and cut loose?
  • Sobaika said:
    The best times are behind us (basically seasons 2-5 are entertainment gold), but it's still one of the greatest things on TV.
    Yes, yes, a million times yes! Seasons 2-5 were hilarious, I still think about Benji Schwimmer's antics every now and then.
  • Benji Schwimmer doing "Too Much Booty in the Pants" will stay with me for a lifetime.
  • Hmm, if they're worried about ratings so much that they're open to doing new things... I would like to see a full all-star season. That'd be just lovely. Lauren Froderman, Jasmine Harper, Tanisha, Neil, Will, Travis... I'd love to know what these guys are doing after the show. Especially since it's obvious winning the show doesn't mean you'll have the best dance career. 

And I have to 100% agree with @PlasticMouse about Paula. Lots of words come out, but she inevitably says nothing. 

And with the judges in general - does anyone ever feel that they're being unfair? Like in season 10 final 4 and they chose that moment to bring up that they didn't even want Jasmine Harper in the top 20 to begin with. Or when you can tell who's going to get a standing O just by looking at the names in the line-up before seeing the dance. 

And they were shamelessly pushing Ricky this past season. Not to say he isn't gorgeous and deserving, but he really only got to shine in his solos, not the partner routines. Nevertheless they made him feel like a shoe-in even though all the other guys were pretty excellent. 
  • I assume everyone who is a fan of SYTYCD saw Michelle Obama dancing with a lot of our favorite dancers?  I noticed Twitch and Travis probably even before Michelle, but I also see Jasmine and Robert Roldan.  Who else?

• My favorite show! I love Cat, I love the contestants, I love the low level of drama (well, compared to other reality shows), I love most of the guest judges, I love most of the choreographers, I love the costumes.

I think this show made one of the best reality competition TV show decisions ever when they started bringing back All-Stars every season. It is awesome to see favorite contestants come back every year.

It seems like this show more than any other has such a camaraderie between the contestants, not just within their own seasons but between seasons. A lot of contestants have gone on to do great things in the dance world, not just the winners.
  • I really have liked this show a lot (though I agree with the season 4 love - I am so ridiculously obsessed with Twitch!).  But I find I'm not able to watch much the past few seasons (just no bandwidth).  But I have a tweener girl, so this might be a good show for the summer to watch together.  

I also LOVE Cat Deeley - I may have been one of those who pestered the uncles to cover her more.  She's said before she doesn't use a stylist, and in the early years of SYTYCD it was really apparent.  I would joke with my sister that Cat Deeley dressed in costume - she'd put together a head to toe Egyptian look, or sound of music (modern-ed up, of course).  Don't know if she still does it but it was so obvious in the early years.  I think I loved her more because of it.  
  • @AwwwTrouble Cat Deeley is my girl crush.
  • nolakent said:
    Good point. I'm just a dance lover, not a dancer or ex-dancer, so I have no idea really -- but it wouldn't surprise me if you are right.

Did any of you ever catch that show Breaking Pointe? It was on the CW for two seasons and it followed Ballet West, the ballet company of Salt Lake City. I did not realize until I watched that show that dancers are on contracts that may or may not get renewed, just like members of sports teams. So I wonder how that works -- does a dancer who has a following get great medical treatment, whereas one who's in the back row of the corps will get treated until the end of her contract and cut loose?

In a ballet company the lowest or entry level position is the corp de ballet, then soloist, then principal dancer. They all sign contracts and get health care provided by the company. Thanks to Unions, if they are injured on the job, they get a percentage of their normal pay for a specified amount of time. Of course, at any time they can be fired or let go if the director feels they're not performing up to his standards. So basically every performance counts. It's a stressful career. Not to mention the fact that most professional ballet dancers are ready for retirement by age 40. Their bodies simply can't keep up with the level needed to perform anymore. I've seen many dancers stay too long. It's sad to see them struggle with steps and roles that they used to do so brilliantly.
  • @AwwwTrouble Cat Deeley is my girl crush.

She's the bee's knees. My girl crush is Lauren Froderman. Especially in anything she danced with All-Star Pasha.
  • Favorite guest judges include Christina Applegate, and Jessie Tyler Ferguson. 
    Yes! They give informed critiques and are also super fun. 
  • I recognize people in the background (Marko!), but I'm not sure if they are also mentors for the season.  And just FYI, I think this starts next Monday:

• edited May 2015
    Even with the changes for this season, I still look forward to it. SYTYCD is still one of the best shows on and can really touch you with the emotion and artistry of their dances. I do think that the show overall has lost of bit of magic it had in the beginning seasons where you watched dancers grow and do things they never thought they would do. Now, so many seem so well adaptable that you miss the growth as a dancer more. I always have favorites that I route for each season except the last two seasons as they all just seemed so talented. 

Some of my favorite all time dances/dancers/choreographers are
    Sonya Tayeh's the garden (with Courtney and Mark) and Tore My Heart (with Ellenore and Jakob)
    Mia Michaels's Mercy (with Twitch and katee), Gravity (Kayla and Kupona) and Koop Island Blues (Randi and Evan)
    Travis Wall's How It Ends (Kent and Neil)
    and so many of Twitch's dance numbers (but especially Outta My Mind (Twitch and Alex) and Misty Blue (Twitch and Sasha)
  • Oh man, Jakob and his crazy extension/flexibility, whatever you call it:

• edited May 2015
    Ouch;

Image result for jakob karr

Let's try this one instead:

• edited June 2015
    Was the season premiere episode all about Edson Juarez?  I prefer to think of him rather than Jason Derulo.  Here's a clip though it's kinda fuzzy:

And if that's too much work, let's see if I can find a photo:

• Now that I know a little more about street vs. stage, I'm hoping this doesn't mean the larger number of street dancers compared with previous years won't mean a corresponding cut in the number of stage styles we see. In other words: I hope they decide to include fewer contemporary dancers than normal. Not that I don't like contemporary, but in the past it seems like the best-represented style on the show, and I'd rather not lose ballroom, ballet, or tap now that the overall pool of "stage" dancers is probably going to get smaller to accommodate the fact that half the dancers will be "street."

A LOT of animation in that first episode. I'm hoping there's more of a diversity of styles on the street team. I love me some breakdancing and I hope there's someone who does that!

Also, Paula Abdul has me wishing for Mary Murphy.

Also also, every year I wish there were more Adam Shankman.
  • I'm wondering how the pairings/partners are going to work? Are they going to keep everything completely separate and pair stage with stage and street with street? If so, Boo. I always liked when there were those unlikely pairings (like Eliana and Cyrus) that brought out different abilities in the other person.