Blue Apron

Is anyone doing this?  I started it a few weeks ago and I really like it!  Basically it's a service you subscribe to and they send you the ingredients and recipes for 3 meals for two every week.  I cook for myself and a lot of times if I want to try something new, I'll go out and buy the ingredients I don't have but I'm always left with extra that go to waste.  Blue Apron sends you the exact amount of EVERYTHING (I got the tiniest bottle of Tabasco sauce the other day) so I don't have any leftover ingredients wallowing in the fridge. I've enjoyed pretty much every meal so far, and they always send you a fish, chicken, beef or pork dish.  It's $60 per week and you can choose to skip a week if you want. I think it's a really great service and it's fun to do! The other day I made chicken and sage biscuit pot pie and it was DELICIOUS.

Comments

• I have done this in the past. I enjoy it. Like you said, its nice because they send things I wouldn't typically make and I've never been disappointed with anything to date.

I haven't done it in a while, because I've been traveling a lot for work, so I just don't have time. I got my best friend to try it and she loves it too. She's go ta 9 month old so one less trip out makes her life a touch easier and she feels fancy b/c they are good meals that she would never make.

they also have the vegetarian option, which I choose along with pork and beef, so you can really change up your options there too.
  • We've been doing something similar with Hello Fresh, and have considered trying Blue Apron too, to see which we prefer. We've liked most of our HF meals and my husband (the chef of our household) has saved all the recipe cards that come with the ingredients. 
  • Is Blue Apron the service TLo have talked about on their podcast?
  • @GeoDiva I don't think that was the name but I can't call it to mind right now.
  • @foodycatAlicia Was it Plated? I've interested in trying this type of service to expand my menu.
  • Plated rings more bells!
  • @Tom @Lorenzo if you pass by, what is the name of the meal-in-a-box provider who sponsors your podcast sometimes?
  • @GeoDiva I've tried Plated and it was really good!  However, it's more expensive than Blue Apron, I think it's like $60 for two meals as opposed to Blue Apron's 3.  When I tried Plated they sent me duck tacos and some kind of curry dish (I can't quite remember, it was a long time ago).  
  • Thanks @Sadie! Will try both services.
  • Just listened to the newest podcast and it is Plated.
  • Bumping this thread since @carlatheviking got a box.  I think maybe @winterwhite did and so did I! 

This week I got the Center Cut Pork Chops, Chicken Schnitzel and Fontina and Preserved Lemon Grilled Cheese. 

Not sure which one I'll be in the mood for tonight, but I'm leaning towards the pork chops.  
  • Ha, I didn't know that this thread existed!  I LOVED my cod with udon noodles - eating the leftovers now while I watch the clock nervously before leaving for work - and I think I'll make the pork chops tonight.
  • Our Pork Chops w/ Warm Beet, Carrot and Walnut Salad was delicious last night – but god, it took me forever to make!  I cut both the beet and the carrots into much smaller pieces than they said to and they still took a lot longer to cook.

We hardly ever have pork chops because I’d never once made juicy, tasty pork…and I’ve even followed recipes that promised a fool-proof way to achieve that.  (Yeah, well, they never met ME! *rimshot*)  But this is my official new pork chop recipe.  Thick-cut chops/butter/lots of thyme/a bit of garlic...mmm.

Sunday morning, I awoke to find that our power was out – and my first thought was, OH, NO, THE SCHNITZEL!  Lol.  BA chicken is so flavorful – especially their skin-on breasts/thighs, which sautée to beautifully golden brown and crispy – and the chicken demi-glace they send is better than anything I can buy in local stores.  Anyway, the power must’ve only been out for a little while; everything is fine.  So tonight is Chicken Schnitzel Night.  (I had Mr WW pick up a jar of lingonberry jam on his way home the other night, so we’ll be cheating…) ;)

• @winterwhite I was trying to decide which recipe was faster tonight.....and I almost chose the pork chops over the schnitzel. I'm so glad I didn't!!!

The schnitzel was great.  I thought the vinegar was a bit harsh in the potato salad, even after it sat for about 15 minutes.  I would use about half of it next time.  I didn't pound my chicken out quite thin enough so my breading was extra crispy ;)  All in all I thought it was really tasty!!  

• We hardly ever have pork chops because I’d never once made juicy, tasty pork…and I’ve even followed recipes that promised a fool-proof way to achieve that.  (Yeah, well, they never met ME! *rimshot*)  But this is my official new pork chop recipe.  Thick-cut chops/butter/lots of thyme/a bit of garlic...mmm.

I'm never happy with my pork chops either. What is the cooking method? Do you sear them first? Then cook them for how long and at what temperature?
    Thanks!

Ta-da!  Made the pork chops tonight, will have the leftovers for lunch tomorrow and will do the schnitzel for tomorrow's dinner.

I always make sure the oil in my pan is nice and hot, and sear both sides of the chop to keep the juices in, then let it rest for five minutes.  Mine are perfectly juicy, this time anyway!!

• We hardly ever have pork chops because I’d never once made juicy, tasty pork…and I’ve even followed recipes that promised a fool-proof way to achieve that.  (Yeah, well, they never met ME! *rimshot*)  But this is my official new pork chop recipe.  Thick-cut chops/butter/lots of thyme/a bit of garlic...mmm.

I'm never happy with my pork chops either. What is the cooking method? Do you sear them first? Then cook them for how long and at what temperature?
    Thanks!
    I brine my thick-cut pork chops for about 15 minutes, sear them in a high-heat oil with salt and pepper on medium high heat until they get a nice brown crust (probably 3-4 minutes per side), then let them finish in a a 325 degree oven for about 8-9 minutes if they are thick.  Then let them rest for 5 minutes, which is a way more important step than I ever thought, pour the pan juices over the top and serve.  I love pork chops now that I know how to cook them.
  • The secret to porkchops is using a very good thermometer.  I fry, bake and grill them all the time and they are always juicy.  The USDA recently lowered the safe temperature to 145F and that is perfect.  Once you hit that temp, remove from heat source and let them stand 3 minutes.  Even the super thick ones, end up perfectly cooked.
  • edited February 2016
    Thanks, @GeoDiva!  What type/brand of thermometer do you recommend?  I always resist using them…don’t know why – maybe if I found the Right One? :)

I have a Polder therm/timer contraption that lives in a high cupboard, which means I seldom bother with it, and when I do the batteries are usually dead.  There’s also a cheap, simple one rattling around here somewhere...the probe of which is so thick that I hate making a giant hole in an innocent li’l piece of meat with it!

@rainwood ; I've brined before, but have never tried the stovetop + oven combination with pork chops.  Thanks!  That, along with using a thermometer to know when I've hit that 145º sweet spot sounds like a great idea.

@carlatheviking ; Good job!  It's a pretty meal, isn't it, with those three veggie colors together.
  • edited February 2016
    Thanks!
    Hi, @TheLibrarian!  (OT:  I love that Will Barnet print – don’t want to assume that you’ve been to the Pets of the Lounge thread, so I’ll just say that we have three white cats who all curl up on top of us when we read in bed!) :)

Here’s the recipe for the pork chops that came out so miraculously juicy and delicious.  It’s not exactly low-fat, lol.  But the chops are served with lots of healthy veggies.

Center-Cut Pork Chops with Warm Beet, Carrot & Walnut Salad

Notes:  In Step 4, put the (cold-ish) butter in before the thyme.  Otherwise the thyme can hit the hot oil and shoot out of the pan!  Also, treat their time guidelines for veggies as just a vague suggestion, lol…cook them until they’re done the way you like them.  Blue Apron has a tendency to rush things so that they can claim it takes much less time to make their meals than it actually does.  I often use lower heat settings than the recipes say as well.

Next time I’ll increase the amount of arugula; roast the beet instead of boiling it before chopping; and add a pinch of sugar to the vinegar/shallot mixture used to quick-marinate the chopped beet.  I might try to get away with a bit less oil or butter – but this isn’t something we’d have often, so I might not bother. ;)  The smell of the pork and fresh thyme and butter was so lovely!
  • @winterwhite - you could always switch the oil to coconut oil (very good for you, not that good olive oil isn't) and halve or skip the butter and use white wine instead!
  • edited February 2016
    Hi, @carlatheviking – Yes, I'll try using less butter next time, just to see!

By the way, last night I was all set to make the Chicken Schnitzel when I discovered that the fingerling potatoes they sent were rotten!  They looked beautiful – but when I touched them they were like tiny sacks of Jello.  Yikes.  Should've waited until I was a bit less emotional (and hadn't had a glass of wine on an empty stomach) to write an email to Blue Apron about it, though.  I was polite, but good lord – I told them it "ruined the meal I was most looking forward to!"  LOL!

Used some baby Yukon Golds instead, and WE LIVED THROUGH THE CRISIS.  :D
  • @winterwhite, I am laughing at your #firstworldproblem and am SO glad you lived to tell the tale.  Blue Apron has probably received much worse!! 

Did anyone else get the fontina grilled cheese.  I'm giving it the sideway glance b/c it requires that I put the cheese with onion and meyer lemon on a sandwich.  And the salad has orange in it...and I don't care for fruit in my salad.   I've decided to give half of a sandwich a go with the onion and lemon (trying to be open minded here....it could be delicious...right?!) just in case it doesn't taste all that good. 

• @WinterWhite: Love that you recognized the print. I've loved it for many years - it reminds me of my reading in bed. At this point, all our cats have gone to the Big Litter Box in the Sky, and our dog rarely sits on the bed. Oh well...

Thanks for the pork chop recipe. I plan to try it soon. But what is the Pet of the Lounge thread? I probably need to see it...Thanks!
  • @WinterWhite: Love that you recognized the print. I've loved it for many years - it reminds me of my reading in bed. At this point, all our cats have gone to the Big Litter Box in the Sky, and our dog rarely sits on the bed. Oh well...

Thanks for the pork chop recipe. I plan to try it soon. But what is the Pet of the Lounge thread? I probably need to see it...Thanks!

Under the TLounge category there is a The Pets of the Lounge thread. Many adorable pics of pets. I'll bring it to the first page.
  • @WinterWhite I use a Thermapen. It is expensive ($99), but it is honestly the best.
  • edited February 2016
    @GeoDiva ; I just googled, and they do look really sleek and professional.  Thanks! 

Oh my, you have some catching up to do, @TheLibrarian:  67 pages of gorgeous, funny, beloved pets in this thread! :)
    And if you have any photos of your dog you'd like to share, we'd love to meet him or her.  Of course the dearly departed cats are welcome too – there are plenty of gone but never, ever, ever forgotten critter-friends on those pages...
  • edited February 2016
    Under the TLounge category there is a The Pets of the Lounge thread. Many adorable pics of pets. I'll bring it to the first page.
    Thanks for doing that. I just saw it. The first picture of Urchin, the Maine Coon, looks a lot like my dearly departed Smokey!

• Sorry about the bolding. Don't know why it did that to my comment...
  • I got Blue Apron this week.  My meals:

The burgers were "meh".  I enjoyed the pretzel bun...but I loathe when they make cheese sauce.  I complied and it just made eating the burger a full on mess and the hops in the cheese didn't seem to add any flavor.  

I really enjoyed the shrimp spaghetti.  I used about half of the noodles because that was just too many noodles.  I will make it again and this time probably with a half a head of cabbage and 1/4 of the noodles. 

Tonight will be the chicken curry and I'm quite looking forward to it.