Blue Apron

Comments

• Good to know the burgers weren't so good, I was very interested in them but this isn't a good week for me! My next BA is in a couple of weeks, I've already picked out the recipes: mushroom & poblano quesadillas, kimchi & barley miso ramen, roasted cauliflower panzanella. It's going to be YUMMY. 
  • @heybethpdx  The burgers were a let down.  I should have just sliced the damn cheese and used it that way (and I often just slice the cheese when they want a cheese sauce, but I figured maybe the hops added a lot of flavor...it didn't).

I'm getting a variation of the same menu you are....except I'm getting Chicken Cacciatore and Cuban Sandwiches with my mushroom and poblano quesadillas. =) You must have gotten the vegetarian meals. 
  • @TravelingDesign actually you can pick what menus you want - though you can't combine all the options, I assume there's some logistics or pricing restrictions. I signed up for the omnivore but I prefer to cook vegetarian for the most part - also I feel better letting the ingredients languish in the fridge when I get busy if they are not raw meat! I was torn about those Cuban sandwiches though, I love those. 
  • edited March 2016
    @TravelingDesign actually you can pick what menus you want - though you can't combine all the options, I assume there's some logistics or pricing restrictions. I signed up for the omnivore but I prefer to cook vegetarian for the most part - also I feel better letting the ingredients languish in the fridge when I get busy if they are not raw meat! I was torn about those Cuban sandwiches though, I love those. 
    You're right, they do let you change the menu.  It still has to be a certain combination, you can't just choose any of the 6. Which is a bit of a bummer because often it's one meal I won't eat when I don't order it for the week.  

I did read about Marley box which costs a bit more, but is supposed to be far superior to Blue Apron.  I need to check into it.  

ETA: It's called Marley Spoon. Currently they only deliver to certain states. NC is not one of them =(
  • Well I found the chicken curry to be a huge let down.  I enjoyed the chicken and collards....but hell no on the grits.  They include entirely too many carbs these days.  And then they ask you to cook the grits and let them sit while you cook the rest of the food...which messed up the consistency of the grits....and I should have gone back and added more water, but I was hungry! I didn't want to fuss about with anymore cooking. 

This weeks winner was the shrimp spaghetti, for sure. 
  • Do you get to feed back to them on the dishes?
  • @foodycatAlicia  Yes, and I do when I remember to.  
  • edited March 2016
    Oh, @TravelingDesign….I nearly *sobbed* when I saw your post saying you were looking forward to that Chicken Curry/grits meal!  I’d already made it and hated it...but I checked the BA page, and saw that some people did “love" it, so I just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best for you!  (You know that if I’d had even a glimmer of an idea how to improve it I would’ve posted that for you as a suggestion, darling...but it was such a total miss for us that there was simply no redeeming it.)

Those grits were so ghastly that I think I’ve actually been traumatized, lol.  When I saw the image of the Alsatian Spiced Chicken we’ll be getting next week, I thought I spied some grits peeking out on the plate under the chicken – and my stomach churned a little!   But not to fear; those are smashed potatoes.

@foodycatAlicia ; If you’d like to click my link above and scroll down, you can see a user-comments section (“Tips from Home Cooks”) underneath the recipe.  People give feedback there, too.  There’s this one woman who posts frequently – always concise, interesting comments and good tips for how to improve a dish.  I don’t make any BA recipe anymore without first scouring the comments for her feedback!  I’ve begun to feel like a stalker, because she's totally my Blue Apron crush. :)
  • @Winterwhite  They were ghastly!  I'm a little disappointed that everything this week was loaded in carbs!  I'm not a grits lover, but Blue Apron surprises me sometimes with the flavor combinations.  It was a surprise alright! Surprise! This is gross!! 

I did truly love the shrimp spaghetti and will definitely make that again in the very near future with more cabbage and less noodles. And perhaps with some peppers/mushrooms/onion combination.  It was so easy and fast.

I don't get Blue Apron again until March 18th. I am seriously considering looking at Plated and other options because this helps me immensely from dealing with the grocery store where I make really bad food decisions that cost me a lot of money. Blue Apron seems expensive, but I'm a single person who can blow well over $60/week buying groceries. 
  • @Travelingdesign, no Marley's Spoon for me, either, they're not west coast yet. If you do try Plated I'm curious to hear how you like it. I've quite liked the 2 BA boxes I've done but I'm not super committed to keeping up with it. I'm also happy to just  make a huge vat of soup and eat that for days. 
  •  If you’d like to click my link above and scroll down, you can see a user-comments section (“Tips from Home Cooks”) underneath the recipe.  People give feedback there, too.  There’s this one woman who posts frequently – always concise, interesting comments and good tips for how to improve a dish.  I don’t make any BA recipe anymore without first scouring the comments for her feedback!  I’ve begun to feel like a stalker, because she's totally my Blue Apron crush. :)
    I'm just hoping their recipe developers take the feedback on board!
  • edited March 2016
    @TravelingDesign ; Hee, and as a cruel bonus, there were like SIX servings of those grits instead of 2…

But yes, the spaghetti was very good!  Loved the cabbage – it blended in but added a surprisingly sweet note.  And, while it’s unlikely that I’ll begin toasting up panko crumbs for my own pasta dishes, I really enjoyed the texture they contributed here.

We started with BA last fall, so we’ve only gotten fall/winter veggies.  (Love the tender Lacinato kale they send.)  I’m hoping that their spring/summer dishes have plenty of nice vegetables...and less starch.

As @heybethpdx requested:  if you do try other services, please let us know your thoughts!  I'm not married to BA either, but we've had some fun with it so far.

• @TravelingDesign ; Hee, and as a cruel bonus, there were like SIX servings of those grits instead of 2…

But yes, the spaghetti was very good!  Loved the cabbage – it blended in but added a surprisingly sweet note.  And, while it’s unlikely that I’ll begin toasting up panko crumbs for my own pasta dishes, I really enjoyed the texture they contributed here.

We started with BA last fall, so we’ve only gotten fall/winter veggies.  (Love the tender Lacinato kale they send.)  I’m hoping that their spring/summer dishes have plenty of nice vegetables...and less starch.

As @heybethpdx requested:  if you do try other services, please let us know your thoughts!  I'm not married to BA either, but we've had some fun with it so far.

This comment isn't Blue Apron related but related to bread crumbs on pasta. I don't remember where I found a recipe for a cauliflower and pasta dish that was finished with toasted bread crumbs and parsley that was really delicious. The sauce was a garlicky, brothy olive oil, no tomato. I may want to try to find that recipe.
  • Anyone feel like sharing that spicy shrimp spaghetti recipe?  I really wanted to try it but I couldn't afford another box.
  • Hi, @carlathevikingSpicy Shrimp Spaghetti with Cabbage & Toasted Bread Crumbs
    Super-simple, and I think it would also be good with chicken instead of shrimp.  I used the zest of the lemon as well; I think that was the only change I made.  They send Cento tomato paste, and I think I might start buying that brand now!

Hi, @GraziDiMenti – Please share it if you do find the recipe! :)  Regarding toasted bread crumbs on pasta dishes:  A small part of me resists that step out of laziness.  An even bigger part of my brain says, who needs that?  Bread on pasta!  What’s next, topping mashed potatoes with crushed potato chips?  Rice Crispies as a garnish for risotto?  IT’S MADNESS!!  …lol.  But then I taste one of these Blue Apron pasta dishes for which I had just obediently followed their recipe and spent a couple of minutes toasting up some panko – and I love the light crunch.  Such a simple thing, but, as they say on cooking shows, it "really elevates the dish."  ;)

Oh, and by the way, Grazi and Everyone:  personally, I hope anyone feels welcome to chime in on this thread.  We’re mostly talking about food/recipes, really, not the BA service itself, and all good conversation is good conversation.
  • Oh yay, thank you @winterwhite!!!
  • What’s next, topping mashed potatoes with crushed potato chips?
    @WinterWhite potato chips on mashed potatoes sounds heavenly.
  • What’s next, topping mashed potatoes with crushed potato chips?
    @WinterWhite potato chips on mashed potatoes sounds heavenly.
    @wireknitter, good to see you!  Let me know if you give that a try. ;)   (Now that you’ve said that, though…won’t we laugh when Lay’s begins sweeping the potato chip crumbs out of their machines after each manufacturing run and marketing them as Mashed Potato Toppers!)
  • @winterwhite  My love for potatoes knows no bounds.  I would be that person buying Mashed Potato Toppers from Lay's. 
  • edited March 2016
    Uh-oh, someone’s going to make money off this and it won’t be us! ...

What do you say, @wirecutter and @TravelingDesign – should we just get together, buy enormous bags of Lay’s, pour some wine, and have a smashing party? We’ll design beautiful little bags, and charge a $fortune$ for our "Gourmet Hand-Crafted" Mashed Potato Toppers.
  • edited March 2016
    @foodycatAlicia, please swing over for the party!  And we’re going to need your help with marketing in the UK…there’s a lot of potatoes over there.
  • @winterwhite This sounds like the best possible plan.  I'll be right over with my chips and wine =) 
  • @WinterWhite Sounds fun, but knowing me, I would eat as many as I crushed. Not good for the business model.
  • You'll be able to charge more if you call them "artisanal" instead of just plain old "gourmet". Gourmet is so 2014...
  • Zoeg said:
    You'll be able to charge more if you call them "artisanal" instead of just plain old "gourmet". Gourmet is so 2014...
    @Zoeg, YES!  Lol, you're right!  :)
  • I use potato chips instead of noodles in my tuna casserole. Part of the prep is to smash a bag of chips. :-)
  • @foodycatAlicia, please swing over for the party!  And we’re going to need your help with marketing in the UK…there’s a lot of potatoes over there.
    This time next year, Rodders, we'll be millionaires*

*British reference.
  • GeoDiva said:
    I use potato chips instead of noodles in my tuna casserole. Part of the prep is to smash a bag of chips. :-)
    I've had them on top of a tuna casserole, but never instead of noodles!
  • GeoDiva said:
    I use potato chips instead of noodles in my tuna casserole. Part of the prep is to smash a bag of chips. :-)

I don't know why, but the idea of you having tuna casserole completely blows my mind. I think of it as such a US home cooking thing. I went through a childhood devoid of casseroles, since my brother was the primary cook from the time I was 7 and that was something he wouldn't make, so I find them terribly exotic.
  • GeoDiva said:

I don't know why, but the idea of you having tuna casserole completely blows my mind. I think of it as such a US home cooking thing. I went through a childhood devoid of casseroles, since my brother was the primary cook from the time I was 7 and that was something he wouldn't make, so I find them terribly exotic.
    It wasn't something I grew up with! But my friend's dad apparently learned to cook from women's magazines in the 50s and 60s and he was very proud of his. It was tuna, crushed pineapple and cream of chicken soup, with noodles, and topped with crushed chips. It was utterly vile and he made it for all her birthday parties.