Blue Apron

Comments

• Lol, I love how everything went wild in pages 2-4 – and then snapped right back on topic here.  It’s as though the thread just dutifully returned from Rumspringe.  :)

@Qitkat ; Thanks for the info.  Let us know how you like the food!

• It’s as though the thread just dutifully returned from Rumspringe.  :)

Hahaha!
  • edited March 2016
    The flatbread was very tasty and filling. We ended up having soup with it instead of salad. A good meal. It took a tad bit longer than indicated, but I'm not surprised. I can always blame that on Mr Q helping ;-p
    Also I had to bake it longer, but that is probably due to me being at high altitude. The crispy edges were so good the only change I would make is to divide the dough (which was pre made) into the separate servings so all the edges were crispy. I'll try to post a picture or two.

Well, I don't know how to do it now. I had used Photoblog a couple of times last year, but just discovered all my earlier images are gone from there and I couldn't figure out how to post new ones I put on there. They changed the whole format :( So I just deleted the acct.
  • Curiosity, and too much time on my hands, got the best of me and I went back and read the earlier thread. So funny! Now I wanna be part of the great potato chip crumb/Matt Damon caper.

And just for those who might care I make a killer potato chip crabmeat casserole, not a noodle in sight.
  •  It’s as though the thread just dutifully returned from Rumspringe.  :)

Such a lovely turn of phrase!

• Qitkat said:
    Curiosity, and too much time on my hands, got the best of me and I went back and read the earlier thread. So funny! Now I wanna be part of the great potato chip crumb/Matt Damon caper. And just for those who might care I make a killer potato chip crabmeat casserole, not a noodle in sight.
    Recipe please!
  • Qitkat said:
    Curiosity, and too much time on my hands, got the best of me and I went back and read the earlier thread. So funny! Now I wanna be part of the great potato chip crumb/Matt Damon caper. And just for those who might care I make a killer potato chip crabmeat casserole, not a noodle in sight.
    Recipe please!
    CARE VERY MUCH. Please post the recipe =)
  • RECIPE FOR CRABMEAT POTATO CHIP CASSEROLE

Make a thick white sauce:
    1/2 cup flour
    1/4 cup melted butter
    2 cups milk
    Pinch of celery salt
    Stir in 1/2 cup mayo after sauce cools a bit (NOT miracle whip!)

Crush 8 oz potato chips to large crumbs (abt 3 cups); regular taste better than low salt or baked, but they will all work.

8-12 oz fresh or thawed frozen crabmeat flakes, fairly dry; i.e. not dripping with liquid it's packed in. The lower amount works better, but if you just love crabmeat, maybe use 12 oz. If you use too much the chips won't get soft.

Layer in a medium wide deep casserole dish alternating crab, sauce, chips. Repeat twice more.
    Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheddar over top with paprika to look pretty. Bake 350 degrees about 20-30 minutes. You want it piping hot, and the sauce to have softened the potato chips.

This casserole is best made right before you want to cook it, not chilled, will take longer, and just doesn't bake as well. You can reheat it though after cooled, covered (or top will burn). The chips are supposed to become more like you used real potato slices. Best fresh out of oven. We serve it for holiday buffets and usually it all disappears. If you want to double, it is better to make two batches, it doesn't work as well in larger quantities.
  • That sounds really delicious!
  • That sounds really delicious!

Oh believe me it is! It is so rich that we only serve it once or twice a year. But always looked forward to :)
  • I love that it sounds really good and it seems to be easy with few ingredients. Those are my favorite kinds of recipes!!

• Qitkat said:
    I need this recipe, please and thank you. 
  • edited March 2016
    Qitkat said:
    Late to the party again, but this sounds amazing. I also have a bag of chips on my counter that I am trying not to just eat. 
  • Qitkat said:

It's upthread/was posted on 3/14
  • There is an interesting article in the back of this weeks Time Magazine that mentions this trend and Blue Apron specifically.
  • My box arrives tomorrow. This week's menu:

Cuban Sandwiches with plantain and kale salad.  I will be skipping that salad situation because I don't care for kale or plantains.  I'll at least find a way to use the kale.
    www.blueapron.com/recipes/cuban-sandwiches-with-sweet-plantain-kale-salad

Chicken Cacciatorre.  It's a bit...simple and I'm feeling a little jipped looking at the ingredients & reviews. 
    www.blueapron.com/recipes/chicken-cacciatore-with-fettuccine-pasta-mushrooms

Mushroom & Pablano Quesidillas.  These should be tasty.  
    www.blueapron.com/recipes/mushroom-poblano-pepper-quesadillas-with-queso-oaxaca-avocado-radish-salsa

• I only like plantain as tostones, as far as I have tried. And that doesn't sound very salady!

• edited March 2016
    So far, on my third week of Blue Apron (3 meals a week for 2 people) I'm a bit iffy on whether or not it's worth the money and the amount of work required.

Tonight's meal, a chicken Provencal stew with potatoes and swiss chard was disappointing. BA had substituted russet potatoes for Yukon Gold, and even in a small dice they never fully cooked although I increased the cooking time by 30 minutes. The killer, though, for this dish was the stringy, fatty boneless chicken thighs that had to be cleaned and chopped. Messy and frustrating. The dish had some yummy olives that I wasn't familiar with, but only 5 or 6 of them, which became undetectable in the finished product. 

Last week was Cuban sandwiches (so-so, with a very small, limp cucumber to make into small, limp pickles), chicken cacciatore with no herbs included whatsoever, and a cod kedgeree that needed more cabbage and about half the rice that was included.

I'm a tad concerned that when the BA box reaches me, about two thirds of the fresh produce has reached the "use by" date already. Kale, chard, and bok choy have been fine, but chives, brussels sprouts, cucumber, cabbage, and plantains all were well on their way to being past their prime. Disappointing. Perhaps changing my delivery day from Thursday to Wednesday would help?

All in all, I really like the idea of this kind of meal service. I'm not wasting produce the way I was when I was getting a CSA box weekly, and I don't have to visit the grocery store nearly as often. None of the recipes have been difficult to cook, just more time consuming than I'd hoped. 

I dunno, maybe it's time to try another service. I've read good things about PeachDish, but not heard from anyone who uses it. Plated and Hello Fresh seem very similar to BA. I'll guess I'll stick with it for a while, then maybe switch. 

• @anniebets I'm feeling the same way.  They seem to be cheapening the ingredients for the same price. I've read a few reviews on some repeat recipes that say the original version came with more of some ingredients.  I'm still floored at the chicken cacciatore from last week. 
  • I've only had one delivery from Hello Fresh, which had a chicken dish, a pork one, and a flatbread. They were all very tasty, and I rated them 3 to 4 stars (chicken got the 4) based on how my family liked them and ease of cooking. I must say the veggies were very fresh, the meats were well trimmed, and ingredient amounts were well balanced. Only real quibble was there could have been more of one exotic spice. I put them on hold for now, and am going to try a box from Blue Apron in early April.

I like the concept but it's too expensive to do any of them on a weekly basis. I'm feeding 3, but #3 eats more like a double person, so I have to order the boxes for 4.
  • edited March 2016
    @Anniebets ;  Aw, that’s sad.  And I agree that some of the meals take much longer than the 30-45 minutes they claim!  But be sure to contact them about bad ingredients – they will always credit your next box.  And often by a good amount.

I’ve read comments similar to yours about the produce – and it has to be the distribution center in your region.  Our produce is delivered at the very end of the week and is almost always fresh and beautiful...BUT, we’ve had trouble with their shrimp!  Lucky people in some parts of the country are happy with BA shrimp; others, like us, have to give up on it.  (The last two times, I rinsed it well and soaked it in milk before using – which made it taste OK, but the texture was gone.)

We just got that Chicken Stew box today, and the chicken thighs they sent are huge, with very little fat...the chard and the kale were both gorgeous.  But we did get a slimy scallion...and once again the greens were sealed in plastic soaking wet, so I had to go through and dry everything so that it won't rot in my fridge.  ( @TravelingDesign, if you’re reading this…could you please look away for a moment?  Thanks.)  I’m so tired of potatoes!  Hehe.  It’s true that there has been an increasing amount of starches.

@Anniebets, for your remaining boxes:  be sure to read user comments on the website before you cook!  From there, I learned about the rice in the kedgeree, and only used about 1/3 of it, and we liked the dish.  When I read all the negative comments about that cacciatore, I improvised with their ingredients/instructions – adding an onion and lots of white wine and dried basil – and ours was good!  No, we should not have to do that – and I’m the least creative cook! – but if the alternative is a bad meal, you can make the best of it if you’ve been forewarned by the comments.

(Note:  Unfortunately, you do have to sift through a lot of useless comments these days.  Because the site is becoming populated by whiners who just want to say ”I hate onions!!!!” or something, which…??  I mean, it’s fine to log on to say you hate an ingredient IF you then go on to say what you substituted, or if you just left it out and whether or not that worked for you, etc.  That’s useful info for anyone else who hates what you hate!  But the comment section was meant for sharing tips, so folks just going on and on about all their petty dissatisfactions is tiresome.  It’s also perfectly fine to log on to talk about how much you absolutely hated a dish – feedback is good – but only after you’ve actually tried it!  I don’t understand why people write endless paragraphs about how much they’re sure they’re going to hate the meal they’ll be making later that evening.  Lol.  Nobody forced them to order that dish in the first place.)

Anyway.  @TavelingDesign, a while back I bought some of the "missing ingredients" people who’d had the recipe before mentioned, and was glad I did.  Again – we certainly shouldn’t have to!  But I’m having fun with what they send, so I’m going to keep going.  If the spring/summer produce is as sparse as the winter produce, though, I’ll definitely be writing to them to complain about that.
  • edited March 2016
    @Anniebets ; @TravelingDesign ; @Everyone

Yow, I hope my little rant paragraph above doesn't seem as though it was aimed at
    chilling any criticism HERE!!  Talk among friends is a whole different
    thing!

I'm having a good experience with BA – but I've read
    enough comments to know that they are definitely having a problem with
    consistent quality control.
  • @winterwhite I'm always sure to let them know when I don't like the recipe or what needs to be improved, and also if I love something.  They need the feedback, but I still feel they have a ways to go...and maybe they've gone through a bit of a regression.  Only time will tell! 
  • @TravelingDesign, I've never sent them an email just to compliment a dish – I'm going to make a point of doing that next time something is really delicious. (Funny how often it's a meal I didn't have high hopes for!)  I wish there was a place on their site to star-rate recipes.

• @TravelingDesign, I've never sent them an email just to compliment a dish – I'm going to make a point of doing that next time something is really delicious. (Funny how often it's a meal I didn't have high hopes for!)  I wish there was a place on their site to star-rate recipes.

There is actually! If you go to the drop down menu to the right where it says "Welcome back, WinterWhite" click on your delivery history, and viola! You can rate them and leave a comment. I don't know if they read those for feedback or if they are intended to be for our personal use. 
  • edited March 2016
    @TravelingDesign ; Thanks!

@Anniebets ;  When I opened the package of chicken thighs for that Provençal Stew last night I actually said aloud, “Whoa, Anniebets was right!!” :)  All the fat was hidden underneath, oy.  I keep small scissors of various sizes in the kitchen – they aren’t official ’kitchen shears’, just small sharp craft scissors – and use them for things like that.  So it wasn’t difficult to defat them, just fiddly and time-consuming.

But we liked the stew.  I used half stock/half water, plus a good extra splash of red wine vinegar.  And dolloped lots of the aioli atop before serving, so it was very rich and garlicky.  My only complaint:  too many potatoes, even though I only used the 2 smallest potatoes.  They’d sent us FOUR for that dish!   (But it’s okay...unused potatoes make lovely gifts.  Not to ruin any surprises here, but @TravelingDesign, watch your mailbox...!) :D

Y’know what I’ve learned from BA?  They have you add tomato paste to a hot pan after you’ve sauteed onions/garlic/etc., without adding any liquid, and cook it until it’s very dark.  It’s scary to be stirring that and watching it darken, because it seems like it’s going to scorch in the dry pan…but that caramelization really adds a lot of flavor!  In my own recipes I’d always added the paste along with canned toms or some kind of liquid, but I’ll be sure to use BA’s method from now on.

• Potatoes are always welcome!
  • edited March 2016
    Hahahah!  A most adorable potato thief.
  • Potatoes are always welcome!

That could not be cuter.
  • I've been doing Blue Apron for a little while but am not at the moment enthused at the idea of getting so much stuff I have to cook! Maybe it's the spring blahs. Anyway yesterday the New York Times had an article on Blue Apron and their ilk: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/06/dining/meal-delivery-service-subscription-boxes.html

From it I found out about Purple Carrot, which offers vegan meals. I signed up for a box (and found a 50% discount code at retailmenot) & will let you all know how it goes. Things I already don't like: the price is more than Blue Apron, $68 for three two-person meals; the fact that you can't pick a delivery day (Wednesday only for me anyway); the fact that I'll have to decide that night if I want to cancel for the following week because you have to let them know by Thursday morning if you want to opt out (and I'm sure I will, I just have to remember!).