What is grumpy-ing you out today?

Comments

• largishbearishAtlish Have you tried a white noise machine? I've used one for 35 years.

I was gonna grump about the rain & my damn puppy dragging in mud, but some of your concerns make me realize the rain will go away! My best wishes to @oscarandjeeves, as well as any others dealing with deep poo.

Also, @mom2ajs5, I am sure you look terrific; don't let it get you down!!!

• It's going to snow again. Lousy Smarch weather
  • I'm having surgery in a few months and am disappointed that my "IRL" friends are basically ignoring it.  My net friends are being supporting, but in a way that just makes me feel worst about it.
  • Yesterday's gripe carrying over to today: My husband emailed me from work about the death of a very good friend's dad without any sensitivity whatsoever.  He actually just wrote in the subject line "T's dad died this weekend". That's it. Nothing else I tried like crazy to get a hold of him over the phone to at least understand how he found out, if it was appropriate for me to call, etc.  He acted like I was bugging him. I'm so sad for my friend. I'm also sad my husband has no apparent emotion over such a sad situation. Sigh...

• Qitkat said:
    @Zoeg
    YES, this is also one of my biggest concerns about schools today. 
    I have others also, such as what is commonly known as 'teaching to the test'; also an issue which has become prevalent in Colorado, the pressure that ultra-conservative school boards are applying to change curriculums so that certain sciences and history are modified to teach what are beliefs, not facts.
    Yes, these are things that irritate me too.  I don't have any kids so I don't "have a horse in this race".  But I fear for what is considered critical thinking these days.
  • edited March 2015
    @Zoeg - EVERYone has a horse in this race!  The working population of this country, the ones that will hold all public offices (except those that only seem to go to the expensively private school educated), who'll be your future doctor, plumber and everything else is what the schools are turning out, is who we are and will be looking to.

I'm rushed so my best wishes to everybody beset by aches, pains, and health worries, without calling y'all out individually.

I'm making mySELF grumpy this week. I have so much to get accomplished, but since Sunday the motivation train seems to have left the station and so far (Wed.) other than massive caffeine consumption, I haven't pushed myself to do any of the things I know will help. (Cardio, naps, short, easy projects.)  Putting it out there so maybe some sense of accountability will help me push through and attack the stuff that's not yet a crisis with some vigor.

• I teach, and I'm sweating the small stuff today.  I swear, it's like the more forms of communication you use, the less people listen.  Oh, that trip is this Friday?  I didn't know! 

Hmmmm....maybe you could have checked the district calendar.  Or the calendar I sent home months ago.  Or my classroom website.  Or my classroom Facebook page, or my classroom twitter, or looked at the email I sent, or reminder note that I sent home with your child last week. 
  • Grumpy about trying to figure out the rest of my work day with school threatening early dismissal for snow that has not started yet and may not come at all, but will probably come in time to delay or close school tomorrow.  FML!!  Momma's gotta get some work done, people!!
  • formerlyAnon - The weather is definitely grumping me out. I stayed in and ordered breakfast because I simply CANNOT with the rain and ice and frickin snow!

They have been "teaching the test" since the BS that was the No Child Left Behind. David Simon even touched on it during season 4 of The Wire.

I am going to try and at least do a quick On Demand workout, but I just want to punch the everybody in the face today.

• MamaBrown said:
    I'm from Boston. Public transportation. That is all.
    @MamaBrown I think I've been keeping Uber in business these past few weeks.  There are days where I just can't deal with even attempting to get somewhere with the MBTA.
  • Milaxx said:
    The ruling on Tamir Rice. How the eff do you kill a child and then blame the family for letting him be a child!
    That ruling doesn't make me grumpy as much as soul crushingly depressed.
  • @Milaxx, weather is making me grumpy too. Staying in and ordering breakfast sounds divine. 
  • The test results on my dog were not good and the vet did a biopsy this morning. All of his lymph nodes are swollen now, just a few days after we noticed the initial swelling. I'm sick with worry and so scared. The soonest we will know what we're dealing with is Friday. I'm sure there are other things that should be concerning me, but this is all I care about at present.
  • @ashtangajunkie of course it is! It's going to be such a long couple of days. Is your dog home with you?
  • @foodycatAlicia He will be soon - the vet just called to let us know that we can pick him up in an hour. He's still a bit too groggy to come home.
  • The test results on my dog were not good and the vet did a biopsy this morning. All of his lymph nodes are swollen now, just a few days after we noticed the initial swelling. I'm sick with worry and so scared. The soonest we will know what we're dealing with is Friday. I'm sure there are other things that should be concerning me, but this is all I care about at present.
    Keeping my finger crossed and sending good vibes your way.
  • @Milaxx Thank you, I appreciate that a lot.
  • @ashtangajunkie ; So sorry to hear this.  Sending hugs and good thoughts to you.
  • Thank you so much, @Zoeg
  • @ashtangajunkie I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for your furbaby. I hope he's ok!
  • edited March 2015
    What's grumping me today is annoying people at work.

1. At work, we have whiteboards outside our cubicles to note our whereabouts (because of our work, we might be all over the place). You post updates like "Working from home on 3/5," or "at the hospital." My neighbor wrote on hers "out of the office until 3/6." So why did someone come up to me and say "is K in today?" LOOK AT THE EFFING BOARD. Oh - and did I mention that the board policy was implemented after complaints from people being interrupted or disturbed by others trying to track people down?

2. I've been dinged a couple of times - by my boss - for not putting requests in writing, so I sent an email reminding two people to give me data that I need for a report (one always sends me the stuff, and the other I have to harass), and the former sends a snippy reply saying "I always send you my information as soon as I get it, so you don't have to send me reminders." Just... UGH. That's when I threw my hands up in the air and decided that I'd had it with today.
  • @Zoeg - EVERYone has a horse in this race!  The working population of this country, the ones that will hold all public offices (except those that only seem to go to the expensively private school educated), who'll be your future doctor, plumber and everything else is what the schools are turning out, is who we are and will be looking to.
    Well put.  Though I must say that I occasionally encounter parents of school age children who feel I have no right to interfere since I've never had kids.

• edited March 2015
    MamaBrown said:
    I'm from Boston. Public transportation. That is all.
    @MamaBrown I think I've been keeping Uber in business these past few weeks.  There are days where I just can't deal with even attempting to get somewhere with the MBTA.
    Luckily my husband has been working in town for the past couple of weeks so I've been riding with him. It means getting to work over an hour early and leaving an hour late, but STILL worth it not to have to take the T.  Had to take it home last night and the T station at Kendall Square was a LAKE from all the leaks.

Today I am actually in a pretty good mood but I have to go way across campus for a two hour training, scheduled for 11-1. Of course they are not providing lunch. I have worked at several large universities, this one is by far the stingiest. I love them, but boy are they cheeeeeeap. And that makes me grumpy.
  • edited March 2015
    Dear lord,

I am grateful not to live in Boston ( or New England) but please! No more snow!

Also I sprained my wrist and it's hurting like hell today.
  • @Milaxx, hope your wrist will feel better soon! That is not a pleasant feeling at all, particularly if you keyboard a bit.
    @ashtangajunkie, so sorry for your dog. Hope you're able to cuddle and comfort him right now. 
  • @ashtangajunkie I hope your pup has the best possible prognosis and treatment.

I have a headache today. Feh.
  • Dog woke me up at 1:00 and 4:30 and 5:30 and then I had to get up and get ready for work, and make muffins for the department breakfast. I'm nervous about one of my work projects, which had been going fine and then went off the rails a bit and it's hopefully okay now but I think the client might hate me.

Also I'm kind of annoyed at myself because I didn't read my book club book and the meeting is tonight and this is the second time I didn't read my book. I know the other ladies won't mind but I feel all guilty. And also I really *did* want to read that book.
  • Annoying stomach pains and weird chest congestion are bugging me. DVR is on the fritz. But at least the possessions I had to put up for sale earlier this week got sold, so I could pay some bills today.
  • Hallelujah!   Nothing much---coming out of a November-to-now slump which occurs in dark Winters, and having a better outlook and renewed energy.   I think it's the looking-forward-to that's doing it right now--we're-getting new kitchen cabinets installed in a couple of weeks, and a dear friend is coming to visit in June.   Lovely

I did swing an empty sock at the dog when he wouldn't stop scratching the rug, trying to make a bed in front of my feet.  No harm, but he didn't stop either.
  • Work. really, Really, REALLY awful papers written by undergrads.